Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I generally went for the nice options (made friends with the cheerleader) but yeah gently caress Victoria to hell and back.

The ending seemed to hint at something like Mr Jefferson takes pictures of girls and then kills them or whatever. But that seems too pedestrian to go along with the whole "oh poo poo Donnie Darko world ending" stuff at the end so I dunno.

I'm also a little worried about the time where you can get information then just rewind so you don't leave evidence but you get to keep the info. I'd like "fail runs" to be as fleshed out as the others.

So what happens in the parking lot if you don't blab to the principal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quadrophrenic posted:

What happens if you DO blab to the principal? I didn't blab, and the only thing that happened in the parking lot was preppy neurotic kid threatened me and then beat up Warren

I guess the same thing happens either way, but what reason does he give for threatening you in that case?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The music is great too. Pleasantly surprised at the Sparkle Horse song. Liked the pop culture references (Warren has good taste). Nice touch that Chloe getting high was shown as a pretty normal thing since this is 2015 and you can buy weed legally in half the country.

I wonder if the Spirits Within line was a joke or not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do have the feeling, since twists are "in" these days, that the rear end in a top hat security guard will turn out to be totally right.

Also I dunno if everyone realized this but the "kids don't talk like that" lines come from the game being written by Frenchies and I guess not being properly proofread by a Real American. You'd have to be literally like 60 to be an American and write some of those lines. Well not really, but you wouldn't capture the indie aesthetic with the music and the personalities but then randomly gently caress up by having some girl say "hella" way too much.

Also what kind of elite American school lets a hobo in an RV sit in their parking lot all day? :iiam:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SkeletonHero posted:

Is there a way to interact with the guy in the RV? Max wouldn't walk past his guard dog, and then in the ending sequence he had his own scene like I was supposed to know who he was.

Nah, that scene was basically just a big "you thought that was a throwaway moment" teaser. I'm going to do a separate run where I don't write on his window. :ohdear:

I wonder how genuine they're being with the "that will have consequences" prompts, like erasing the insult on Kate's board or letting that guy put your sketch online.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Hadn't even heard about this game until today, now I'll definitely keep it on my radar for when more episodes are released. I loved Gone Home and Mass Effect and the first season of TWD, so this kind of seems right up my alley. I also enjoy any video games about totally mundane stuff.

It's basically My So-Called Donnie Peaks, you'll like it.

Also is "kek" really a thing anyone types? Oh great, it's a WoW reference. I like the game 1% less for knowing that. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caros posted:

Well there is a bunch of references to her having a sex tape despite being Queen abstinence. I imagine having that made public would make someone withdrawn

Either you're being sarcastic or dense because that's obviously a joke.

If I'm wrong though I guess that would sure be a thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

They talk about the dude drugging Chloe then trying to film her the same thing must of happened to Kate which is why she is so distraught.

That makes a surprising amount of sense, but I still kind of hope it's not true.

Also I'm pretty sure Victoria will die in episode 3 or 4. Calling it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So if you can keep your inventory when rewinding time (i.e. the hammer in the bathroom) why can I not take a photo of David yelling at Kate, rewind, and then intervene while still keeping the photo?
My immersion, it's ruined!

I thought the same thing!

Also the snakes n cakes spoiler was always gonna be a choice. I mean the game all but states outright that Chloe and Rachel were more than just friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the only one I missed was the skater picture somehow.

I was disappointed there didn't seem to be any information to see from piloting the drone. I must have let it circle around three times looking for an Easter egg of some sort.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Artix posted:

Finished the first episode, really liked it! I missed the squirrel and the skateboard photo, but I'll probably go hunt those down at some point before the next episode comes out. I definitely agree with the Rachel has time travel theory, but I guess we'll have to see how things play out over the next few episodes. Definitely worth the five bucks, and it sold me the season pass so great job Dontnod.

I'll honestly be disappointed if that spoiler ends up being true though. I mean, the one thing that makes Max special, and someone else did it first? Hipster time traveler. Seriously though, what if all the members of the Vortex Club have the power???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Then wouldn't Victoria have them? So she probably wouldn't get paint on herself

She's the exception, and hence why she hates Rachel. :ms:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Here's the soundtrack from the game, if you use Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/user/officiallifeisstrange/playlist/1f5ZzLDTXHTDR8CYIEddpW

I didn't realize I liked the genre so much, I'm getting my indie on right now

Current mood: hella hipster bro

Yea Sparkle Horse owns and they're not really hipster unless using the definition of hipster that means "over 30 and not into U2"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Eagerly awaiting the angry fat gamer dudes ranting on YouTube about how this game sucks. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mmm yes Max is "friendzoning" Warren, clearly there is no such thing as a girl with low self esteem who doesn't recognize when a guy is into her.

Besides the drone pilot girl totally wants to jump Warren's bones anyway, he needs to get on that.

"Watched Scott Pilgrim.... for the millionth time". Max has good taste. XD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rizuhbull posted:

lol fat angry white nerds in their basements! Autism XD

What do you mean this is a thread about a video game?

It is usually somewhat important to discuss the reaction of the audience to art. This is a thread about a video game, but do threads about films only discuss cinematography and acting while totally disregarding plot? Is there no place in a thread about Django Unchained for discussion about race relations?

I know I am replying to a low effort and obvious troll, but there are people who legitimately say things like "it's a video game, lol".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Not what I was saying at all, just that there is more to it than that. He's scared about something, and the way he handles it is to double down on the authoritarianism, not being smart enough to know how to handle it another way, or to see that he's doing more harm than good. He even calls her soldier at one point which was funny and probably not the best writing. The subtext though is he thinks he's protecting his family from whatever is going on, that's what the photos and cameras are all about.

I basically agree and I think we'll get a much better idea of the writers' intentions when we meet Chloe's mom (which will almost certainly be next episode, and we already saw her in the closing montage).

One thing I haven't seen speculated on yet - I think there might be something going on with the guy, I forget his name, who has the "super amazing" portfolio you can look at that's full of Rachel pictures, you see him again in the closing montage right before the hand puts the book named "Rachel" on the shelf next to all the other books with female names on them

e: also I wish the game lasted more than a week, I want to go to the Halloween party and the Nightmare Before Christmas midnight screening :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Really sorry to ruin the entire game series for everyone but it's basically Donnie Darko in that by visiting the bathroom at the start, after taking the picture of the butterfly by setting of the fire alarm and stopping her friend get shot she triggered a incredibly literal butterfly effect (the concept that something as little a butterfly beating it's wings can cause a massive storm somewhere through chain reaction) and that in the end, Donnie Darko style, Max will realise that the only way she can stop her town from getting destroyed by the huge storm is to turn back time (she will have learned how to do this by greater amounts by now, probably having gone to Arcadia point six months earlier to try and save Rachel) and not do anything to stop Chloe get shot and just let things be. It will be very emotional, the ultimate sacrifice, and we will all have a good cry about it but at the same time be like, wow.

I seriously hate that you're probably right.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not even going to spoiler speculation that some picture of Chloe will definitely be the "right" or "only" option to win the Everyday Hero Photo Contest. That's like, so obvious it couldn't be anything else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Roman Reigns posted:

I hope the photo of Chloe taking a bong hit is an option.

I was more confused that her stepdad freaked out about it considering weed is legal in Oregon. Maybe they don't know that in France.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

losonti tokash posted:

Whether it's legal or not doesn't really matter if the super paranoid and physically abusive stepdad tells you you're not allowed to smoke pot.

Didn't he threaten to call the cops or did I remember that wrong? Because what are the cops gonna do?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Reclaimer posted:

Arrest her for being under 21

I assumed she had a medical marijuana card which you don't need to be 21 for, since she says "gotta medicate". :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Meis posted:

lol do you really think chloe is the kind of person who would not smoke weed without a medical marijuana card? She doesn't care about society's ruuuuuules *parks in 2 disabled spaces like an arsehole*

It took me 20 minutes to get my medical card, there's being against the man and then there's being a dumb teenager- ohhhhhh

Also do people think the tornado is literally going to be a tornado because bro do you even get symbolism

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the endgame takes place in the Space Needle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The game has at least five minority characters off the top of my head and none feel like tokenism so I dunno what yer on about mate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quadrophrenic posted:

Wait what

-The principal
-The teacher lady

literally everyone else is white, unless I'm missing something

The fat kid who sketches Max? Is he some kind of eastern european or something?

Sketch kid is definitely Hispanic, drone girl looked Asian, black jock dude, that one "super good sketch artist" looked and sounded like he was supposed to be vaguely ethnic though I couldn't quite place it (maybe he was supposed to be Native American because it would be weird if we didn't meet any indians when the school is in Native American Burial Ground: the Town).

I mean yeah there's lots of white people in a small town elite school in Oregon. I don't think it's a problem nor do I think it's super noteworthy there's a black principal and teacher or whatever, just saying that guy's list of "things in this game" was wrong on that point is all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

closeted republican posted:

Can you ruin Chloe's life in this game? Apparently you have to save her from being killed but I still want to be a giant dick to a whiny and super-angsty Tumblr teenage girl.

You can let her get smacked in the face if you're a terrible coward. :(

It's still bothering me that Max didn't recognize her at the beginning of the game but instantly did when she opened the truck door in the parking lot. Max must have that condition that makes facial recognition hard, because it happens with the security guard too. I clicked on literally four pictures of him before she commented on him being who he is.

e: Wait, Chloe isn't really whiny and super-angsty though especially not in the "Tumblr" way? She's pissed with good reason at Max and her step-dad but that's about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quadrophrenic posted:

I've said it before: Chloe and the jock chilling under the tree are the only tolerable personalities I've met in this game so far

Funny, I really do like this game a lot, despite the fact that most of these characters are insufferable. I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion

I actually liked the Cheerleader (Donna?) when you do the "friends" path with her.

Most of the characters haven't had time to really develop yet so it's hard to call if anyone else is going to end up being likeable or not. I think Warren has potential.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone is saying the licensed music is great now but just wait until that Avril Lavigne song comes on out of nowhere next episode and Max starts singing along.

Or maybe the Decemberists will cameo and I can shoot myself in the head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, see you when Episode 2 comes out, thread. It was a good run.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

"I think these characters are kinda one dimensional" is a thread killer now?

I'm sure the thread can go on with people playing the game ironically and laughing at how stupid hipsters are (you know, those people who like things ironically) but I'm just not really feeling it. Plot has been speculated, opinions given, there's not much to do until next episode but watch people bicker back and forth :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hopkins FBI posted:

It leaked online not long after the first episode came out. Spoilers: the writing is still garbage. Hella.

I asked a friend of mine in Seattle and apparently in the past couple years people in Oregon really have started saying "hella" a lot. Ironically or something. So that part is actually accurate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

The writing was fine you whiny grandpas

Honestly the only problem with the writing is that it's very obvious that it wasn't proofread by a native American :911: well enough

Like you can totally tell it was written by French people who are fluent in English.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maleficent posted:

hella is not even some obscure or outdated thing like how out of touch with whats happening around you do you need to be to not understand regional slang

The thing is that even in times and places where "hella" is popular, it still sounds really dumb. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
300 meg update file today, new episode coming soon? PS4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Two weeks before both my birthday and my gf's. Lotta Aries into this game.

UnquietDream posted:

March 24th is the release date, Dontnod guy just announced it at EGX rezzed. They're also playing part of episode 2 there but I don't want to spoil myself on it.

Hella nice. I was just about to give into temptation to do a second playthrough and make different choices but I never do that for Telltale games and I'll be damned if I'm breaking my streak now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just started the new episode but I am gonna water the poo poo out of that plant and there better be a payoff

Looks like "being nice to Victoria" and "being mean to Victoria" is what causes the biggest gameplay split.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Compared to episode 1 that was hella short and had too much filler (the whole junkyard bottle hunt).

But it still hit some high notes and I get the feeling the next three will be intense. Though it's hard for me to believe we've met every important cast member already (since the character bio page is full).

And speaking of that it seems like the people the game has decided are important makes guessing about some spoilers easy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far my Max is being pretty bumbling and loving up a lot, including the big thing this episode, I'm going to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe next episode is out next week, unless there was a delay.

• Locked thread