Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Rodney Scott leads off for the Expos. I rolled all four dice at the same time. The two six-sided dice (2d6) totaled 7 while the two ten-sided dice result (one white and one black with the white being the “10s” and black being the “1s”) was 32 (3 on the white die and 2 on the black die). The result next to 7 on Rooker’s card is IN-PLAY. IN-PLAY means Scott was able to put the bat on the ball and it was hit into the field of play. We look at Scott’s IN-PLAY section of his batter card and see 32 is outside the range of numbers (1 to 26). Since 32 is higher than the range of numbers in his IN-PLAY section, we find 32 in the ranges listed on the bottom of Scott’s card to determine the type of out that was made. Scott has a range of 32-33 next to P5 meaning Scott popped out to the third baseman.

That's at least as cool and exciting as a game of B-17 Queen of the Skies. I'd play it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Still better than actually watching baseball, at least.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I once ran a game of Mage where the PCs were trying to make Liverpool win the FA Cup final against Manchester United (backed by a rival cabal). This did include magical duels at half time.

Also, Valentines day is a hijacking of Lupercalia, a pre-Roman festival of purity and fertility that pretty much revolves around werewolves, blood, and loving. If that's not gaming material I don't know what is. Or, if you want to be traditional in your game around Valentine's day, say it with triffids.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Football Bones PDF is only $7. That's surprisingly reasonable. Should I? Dare I?

Oh, gently caress it. It'll make good fodder for that Fatal & Friends thread at the very least.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I used to play a ton of Strat-O-Matic Baseball and Football back in the late 70s. All compare numbers on cards and roll dice.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I used to play a ton of Strat-O-Matic Baseball and Football back in the late 70s. All compare numbers on cards and roll dice.

Aren't those the best sports games ever made?

All I want is a game that manages to feel like baseball! Is there no game like that?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hear baseball is pretty good

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Is this the thread to mention that I'm doing a Patreon for weird little tabletop games? The first release is going to be FULLMETAL PRESIDENT, which is basically a narrative RPG thing based on Metal Wolf Chaos.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:aaaaa:

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Ewen Cluney posted:

Is this the thread to mention that I'm doing a Patreon for weird little tabletop games? The first release is going to be FULLMETAL PRESIDENT, which is basically a narrative RPG thing based on Metal Wolf Chaos.

I... I think we need to talk again.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Ewen Cluney posted:

Heck yes. :getin:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Don't mods get access to larger avatars?

See, what I am subtly getting at here is Ettin fix the clipping on your avatar it's driving me loving crazy

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

See, what I am subtly getting at here is Ettin fix the clipping on your avatar it's driving me loving crazy

:mrgw:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DigitalRaven posted:

I once ran a game of Mage where the PCs were trying to make Liverpool win the FA Cup final against Manchester United (backed by a rival cabal). This did include magical duels at half time.

Also, Valentines day is a hijacking of Lupercalia, a pre-Roman festival of purity and fertility that pretty much revolves around werewolves, blood, and loving. If that's not gaming material I don't know what is. Or, if you want to be traditional in your game around Valentine's day, say it with triffids.

I was in a Werewolf the Forsaken game where a spirit was super pissed a football stadium was built where its home is in the spirit world, but he liked the home team a lot because they were named after the same animal as what he was the spirit of. So to keep the peace the wolves had to basically rig the playoffs so the home team won or the spirit would get super angry.

Werewolves trying to rig a sports game is really entertaining because there were like five brawls that came when a torqued up wolf got in a pissed off linebacker's face or something.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

I think they need to bother an admin for that.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Here's a topic: when did rpg.net turn into such a goddamn shitshow?

All the entertaining grognard assholes fled to rpgsite to suck Pundit's tiny dick, and any topic that's not about Big-Bang-Theory-level humor or discussion gets banned by the trigger-happy retard mods*.

gently caress that garbage site

*"HURR JACK CHICK AND FATAL R BAD, I DON'T LIKE ANYTHING MADE BY BLACK PEOPLE DURR" (make's new rape-ghost powers for a bullshit anime rpg* :bahgawd:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'd say that a place that housed "entertaining grognard assholes" was a shitshow from the very start.
Is there any other decent RPG forum out there?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

G+ sometimes has some good discussions, but if they get too good boogeymen show up to self-promote.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

moths posted:

G+ sometimes has some good discussions, but if they get too good boogeymen show up to self-promote.

Is there any particular community you would recommend?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 2, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is there any particular community you would recommend?

RPGnet is basically the best tabletop community by a significant margin.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rand Brittain posted:

RPGnet is basically the best tabletop community by a significant margin.

Tbh, this forum about elfgames right here is the best, we (specifically tg) just have a fraction of the population of somewhere likr rpgnet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

On G+, just try to find and follow the developers and personalities you like. The communities aren't worth dealing with at all in my experience.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The Fate Communities on G+ seem pretty nice. They're polite, and they talk about what the gently caress the community is for. Of course, this means that they're not incredibly active. EDIT: The Dungeon World Tavern community also was nice and chill, but it was so active it was clogging up my feed so I opted out. I think community posts are curated into your feed differently now, but I'm not even in a DW game right now so I don't care to check.

I would agree that RPGnet is probably tops in terms of combined activity and non-shittiness. It's not terribly hard to avoid getting the mod stink-eye, and it's not completely riddled with LAWL RANDUM humor either. Not everyone gives a poo poo about their elf-talking the same way. I wouldn't feel too high and mighty about being able to say "retard" without catching mod action.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 2, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

I would agree that RPGnet is probably tops in terms of combined activity and non-shittiness. It's not terribly hard to avoid getting the mod stink-eye, and it's not completely riddled with LAWL RANDUM humor either. Not everyone gives a poo poo about their elf-talking the same way. I wouldn't feel too high and mighty about being able to say "retard" without catching mod action.

While I don't always agree with mod decisions at RPGNet, I never get tired of people who get so mad about getting banned from there because they shitposted or were just flat-out insulting people.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

While I don't always agree with mod decisions at RPGNet, I never get tired of people who get so mad about getting banned from there because they shitposted or were just flat-out insulting people.

When someone gives enough of a poo poo to bitch about it, their inevitable laundry list of "no see I'm innocent" posts at best garners enough sympathy from me to think "Eh, I might've been more lenient if it were up to me, but I can see where they were coming from."

If you're going to "go out" from RPGnet, go out in style like that Bullgrit guy did. Be a weirdo freak about it without even being permabanned!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Three Moves Ahead spent an entire episode talking about Advanced Squad Leader and how its a really good game with a ton of replayability and the starter kits make it easy to learn and the pricetag is really tempting :ohdear:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

Three Moves Ahead spent an entire episode talking about Advanced Squad Leader and how its a really good game with a ton of replayability and the starter kits make it easy to learn and the pricetag is really tempting :ohdear:
ASL owns

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

Here's a topic: when did rpg.net turn into such a goddamn shitshow?

All the entertaining grognard assholes fled to rpgsite to suck Pundit's tiny dick, and any topic that's not about Big-Bang-Theory-level humor or discussion gets banned by the trigger-happy retard mods*.

gently caress that garbage site

So out of curiosity which recent banee are you?

Error 404 posted:

Tbh, this forum about elfgames right here is the best, we (specifically tg) just have a fraction of the population of somewhere likr rpgnet.

As someone who's spent far too much time on both sites I appreciate a lot of things about SA Tradgames more than RPGnet these days...there's a vastly more robust and active PbP/game room regardless of any disparity in userbase size, I generally find megathreads more convenient than starting new threads for every variation of a topic, it's hard to find discussion of certain games over there (I see very little *World discussion for example, for some people I'm sure that's a plus). On the other hand if someone's a genuine shitposter on SA then they tend to stick around for a lot longer, threads here stand just as much a chance of going off on dumb derails (I don't mean FATAL & Friends style topic drift, I mean "and now these three posters will have an internet slapfight about their personal beefs for the next two pages while someone who rarely posts actual content complains that the content being posted isn't what he likes"), and for all the talk about RPGnet's pervasive passive aggressiveness "let me anonymously buy you some big dumb red text" is about as pass-agg as it gets.

The fact that "all the grognard assholes fled to the RPGsite" is being held up as a point against RPGnet is kind of laughworthy to be honest. Like yeah, sorry, that's a feature and not a bug.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Like, on the one hand, you can suddenly be struck down by a bolt from the sky for coloring outside the lines a little on RPGnet. (Though the sudden capriciousness has more to do with people being lazy about reporting than fickle mods.) On the other hand, even with these clearly defined lines, as well as clear enough guidelines about mod discretion, there are still infinity billion hand-wringing orgies in Trouble Tickets about how the latest threadkick is Step 1 in the two-step plan where Step 2 is thought-crime suppressor implants.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

Like, on the one hand, you can suddenly be struck down by a bolt from the sky for coloring outside the lines a little on RPGnet. (Though the sudden capriciousness has more to do with people being lazy about reporting than fickle mods.)

I think part of it is people being being inconsistent with reporting, part of it is that unlike SA, every single RPGnet mod moderates every single subforum. That is to say that there are some informal divisions, when I was an active moderator I generally stuck to a handful of forums and left the others alone unless something there got reported, but in general you have a situation where Mod A might look at a post and go "eh, this is lovely but whatever" whereas Mod B looks at it and goes "this is lovely, take a day off" and it's kind of down to whichever mod is the first one to see the post and/or do something about it.

Of course people want all the mods to follow some sort of Internet Police Procedural Handbook and maintain flawless consistency with each other and every past probation ever made which is pretty ridiculous, and also not a thing that you can expect to happen on SA either.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As a sometimes shitposter, I feel that a moderate amount can keep the forum fun.

I still chuckle at the thought of that old chat thread that was nothing but smiling sam in various forms.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Error 404 posted:

As a sometimes shitposter, I feel that a moderate amount can keep the forum fun.

I still chuckle at the thought of that old chat thread that was nothing but smiling sam in various forms.

When I say shitposter I don't mean someone helping run a joke into the ground, I mean someone who's a dumb miserable rear end in a top hat that shits up threads and doesn't add much else. I mean you can be an rear end in a top hat and still contribute something worthwhile to a thread, I'd say most posters here have qualified for that at one point or another.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

That's my whole reason for being

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

You are a monster that walks the earth in the shape of a man.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

When I say shitposter I don't mean someone helping run a joke into the ground, I mean someone who's a dumb miserable rear end in a top hat that shits up threads and doesn't add much else. I mean you can be an rear end in a top hat and still contribute something worthwhile to a thread, I'd say most posters here have qualified for that at one point or another.

The whole problem seemed to hit a nadir during the early days of 4e, when people would be having civil discussions about the game and how they liked it, then some jackass would come in and TABLETOP WOW NOT AN RPG all over the place. Because these people seemed completely unable to wrap their heads around why this pissed people off.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I appreciate Modrons. Angles be praised.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Back on the topic of Sports Games, this exists:

http://www.flyingmice.com/tools.html

I've never played it, but the author is very nice?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Modrons are great, gently caress the haters.

From the previous thread:

Covok posted:

It might as well have them considering its sister series, Mass Effect, has a set of its own.

mllaneza posted:

There is also a FATE hack based on Diaspora. It's really good and absolutely nails all the characters from the series when it stats them out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytztnyj4zjn

Regarding Mass Effect homebrews, I've found a StarWars Saga adaptation, a d100 and Base 40 adaptation, and a 480 page d20 conversion that uses Bioware's art without license but somehow claims you can't reproduce it without the publisher's permission? I'm not sure if the latter is an official product or not so I'm not posting the link.

StarWars Saga Mass Effect: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=60608895303405975332

d100 and Base 40 Mass Effect adaptation: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09383764129190964784

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also a Fate hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
So I'm following the discussion of rogue builds in the 5E thread, but don't really have anything to contribute right now - I don't have the book handy and haven't built too many characters yet. And I'm not taking sides on the discussion in that thread - somebody asked for build advice and they're getting it.

But a sort of semi-related to that discussion occurred to me - do other people really run a campaign settings where every character, pc or npc, is fully tuned and rigorously adheres to a set of optimal choices with no significant deviations? I mean, the logical extrapolation from the advice being given is that there are no longer rogues in-universe, because no character would choose the sub-optimal path to achieving their goals of doing roguish things.

It seems like this approach assumes that the GM and Players, and all characters by extension, follow a neo-classical economics model of having Rational preferences, Maximizing Utility and acting on the basis of Full Information; i.e. having optimization as a goal, making optimal build choices and possessing system mastery.

Which I can see from a gaming perspective if the group or an individual is primarily interested in character optimization, but it really doesn't work for me from a world building viewpoint, since our world is rife with examples of individuals and cultures making sub-optimal choices. And while my suspension of disbelief isn't strained by dragons or magic, a world where every inhabitant always acts in their best rational interest to maximize utility at all times does. Although the idea that your average band of murder hobos are basically fantasy John Galts is an interesting twist.

One, semi-randomly chosen, example would be weapons. From a certain charop perspective there are only a few weapons in a given system even worth considering, everything else is considered sub-optimal or a "trap". In the real world, even though the military have seemingly settled on a few types of gun for infantry, there's still a plethora of different models, brands, calibers, modifications, etc, for a whole shitload of reasons that don't always have directly to do with maximizing killing power.

I mean, I've played a few MMOs and to borrow terminology; D&D is basically PvE 99% of the time and you don't generally need a perfectly optimized character to succeed and have fun in PvE. PvP is qualitatively different. I think there's an analogy to adventure design - a published adventure basically needs to be pitched at an (pulling numbers out of my rear end here) 80% efficient party, in the same way that an MMO area ends up mediocre because it has to be playable by a huge range of players, optimized or not. Naturally this is going to disappoint players interested in both being challenged and tuning their characters.

But a GM has a huge advantage over a dev team or publisher because they can adjust the difficulty of the adventure to suit the players/characters at that specific table, so balance shouldn't really be the overriding consideration of someone who isn't running an organized play scenario.

Does anyone else waste their time thinking about this stuff?

TLDR: Verisimilitude! :corsair:

Also, sports games, does Car Wars count? Have a had a blast over the years playing that game just as an arena based combat sports game and never going out into the world.

• Locked thread