Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There's also the raw id of TG: #badwrongfun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Meinberg posted:

There's also the raw id of TG: #badwrongfun
Is that still active?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is that still active?
Unfortunately it is now filled with undesirable sorts.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Pardonnez moi?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

No, I'm pretty sure you haven't been pardoned, and aren't going to be.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tekopo posted:

Theres's #boardgoons for, hmmm, board games :v:
Is this on SynIRC? I know that most SA channels are either there or Rizion.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yawgmoth posted:

Is this on SynIRC? I know that most SA channels are either there or Rizion.
Yep.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

No, I'm pretty sure you haven't been pardoned, and aren't going to be.

C'est la vie. Merci beaucoup.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

hosed up, if true.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hey! I haven't been on #bwf in six months or so!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I've been invited to a Pathfinder game and the concept of building an Eldtrich Scrapper into Eldritch Knight is almost enough to make me want to say yes.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Warlock / Warlock 2 / Impire chat has had a serious drop in quality without you! :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I haven't been in bwf in ages either. I have a hard time following things when there's multiple conversations going on. :(

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

come to #persona instead it's the garbagenerd cool kids club

or actually don't unless you gay as hell and/or an anime

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So this is funny. It's from an August 1969 comic, but see if you can spot some common terrible geek arguments here.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Holy crap you could take that letter, break it down into tweets, address it to Marvel and no one would be the wiser. Like that is a thing that no one would be surprised to see. Nerds never change.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So this is funny.

I'm not a racist...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's right though, antisemitism, anti-latino racism and anti-catholicsm weren't really addressed that much before the 90s and the latter is barely touched at all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

He's right though, antisemitism, anti-latino racism and anti-catholicsm weren't really addressed that much before the 90s and the latter is barely touched at all.

He's saying "other minorities get poo poo, so you shouldn't complain about this majority getting poo poo" That does not follow at all.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Antisemitism got addressed a lot in the 1950s and 60s by comics writers, just allegorically. That was one of the few "isms" you could protest without it being political. But yeah, I'm remembering that Marvel's most prominent Chinese characters are a mystic manservant and a girl with fireworks powers now, and the latter one only appeared in the 80s.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Antisemitism got addressed a lot in the 1950s and 60s by comics writers, just allegorically. That was one of the few "isms" you could protest without it being political. But yeah, I'm remembering that Marvel's most prominent Chinese characters are a mystic manservant and a girl with fireworks powers now, and the latter one only appeared in the 80s.

The two most preeminent catholics are a blue dude who looks like a demon and a dude who dresses like a red one. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The two most preeminent catholics are a blue dude who looks like a demon and a dude who dresses like a red one. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

The sum total of Marvel's Japanese characters that I can remember- a samurai, a bunch of ninja, a guy with a big rising sun flag on his chest, and a minor X-character with power from her ancestors.

EDIT: And Psylocke, technically.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Marvel has issues casting anyone besides WASPs and white atheists. This also in the sky is blue.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Effectronica posted:

But yeah, I'm remembering that Marvel's most prominent Chinese characters are a mystic manservant and a girl with fireworks powers now, and the latter one only appeared in the 80s.

They also have Literally Drawn As Bruce Lee, the son of Fu Manchu (no seriously), as well as "the Mandarin" who is honestly something of an embarrassment, and the Immortal Iron Fist, who - wait, no, he's a white guy.

But hey they also have, like, half a dozen bit-part supervillains whose powers can be mostly described as various flavours of anti-communist sentiment.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There was also a Chinese hero who was pretty much Multiple Man. Nothing insensitive about a Chinese guy who rapidly multiplies.

There was a Chinese character who ended up just being not-Magneto and might have actually been Chinese. It was a really stupid arc and was around the time I stopped reading comics.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There was a Chinese character who ended up just being not-Magneto and might have actually been Chinese. It was a really stupid arc and was around the time I stopped reading comics.
If its the character you are thinking of then I think he ended up being Magneto.
EDIT:
Not exactly???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xorn

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Holy crap you could take that letter, break it down into tweets, address it to Marvel and no one would be the wiser. Like that is a thing that no one would be surprised to see. Nerds never change.
The first line is my personal favorite. "I'm only writing this to help you..."

But yeah, "what about these other minorities?" is a bit of concern trolling when the main point is, "lay off white guys and stop making it seem like black people are persecuted." It's not wrong - comics are pretty terrible with racism and sexism! - but it's also incongruous with the rest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

If its the character you are thinking of then I think he ended up being Magneto.

xorn wasnt magneto

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He was Magneto then whoops turns out he was just using his powers to pretend to be magneto pretending to be himself. If that sound blithering stupid Grant Morrison agrees and that's why he stopped writing for Marvel, among other things.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, he wasn't anything because Marvel dropped the story fast and Joe Quesada was a terrible editor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serf posted:

Go on a sports forum or w/e and you'll see the same stuff. It's not confined to nerds.

People never change. You'll see these same tired arguments against treating people equitably until you die. Your grandkids will still be reading them when they're old.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

It's not wrong - comics are pretty terrible with racism and sexism!

now they are backpedalling and having girl thor beat MRA villains and a vilainess surrenders because girl power. lol.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Yeah, he wasn't anything because Marvel dropped the story fast and Joe Quesada was a terrible editor.
Lets be honest here I remember as a kid thinking the original premise was pretty dumb. I doubt much could have been done to salvage it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Grant Morrison wanted Magneto to be a villain again, builds it up, and then they put a stop to it because they didn't think Magneto should be massacring people. They just sort of moved on and pretended it never happened which was just a bad way of handling a major plot line.

EDIT: It was pretty dumb but just about everything in mainstream comics is dumb. It's not like Marvel or DC is putting out Watchmen level writing on the reg and not shamelessly cashing in on superhero deaths.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Grant Morrison wanted Magneto to be a villain again, builds it up, and then they put a stop to it because they didn't think Magneto should be massacring people. They just sort of moved on and pretended it never happened which was just a bad way of handling a major plot line.

Magneto even has a huge speech that basically equates to " no matter what this villain does you'll find some way of excusing it so what does it actually matter?"

The amazing thing is the turn around time on that poo poo.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

EDIT: It was pretty dumb but just about everything in mainstream comics is dumb. It's not like Marvel or DC is putting out Watchmen level writing on the reg and not shamelessly cashing in on superhero deaths.
Honestly, I think that if the end point they wanted to get to was reverting Magneto to the Claremont version that everybody was pretty much already familiar with having him show up and say "Nah, that was some other guy" was probably preferable to years and years of pointlessly complicated and ultimately meaningless revisions.

Between Skrull imposters and Spider-Clones, Marvel seems good at accidentally building those escape hatches into their universe.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

now they are backpedalling and having girl thor beat MRA villains and a vilainess surrenders because girl power. lol.

They should have had Thor wink at the camera or used Hostess cakes or something because wow was that unsubtle

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget that was right before Scarlet Witch going from a trash tier Avenger to the most powerful character in the Marvel U. Her power was pretty much editorial fiat and "things we think would be good for business."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Compared to what they've done its not a bad way at all to handle it.

Effectronica posted:

They should have had Thor wink at the camera or used Hostess cakes or something because wow was that unsubtle
Honestly, I don't mind that at all because there is a certain brand of nerd that needs to be told to shut the hell up.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 24, 2015

• Locked thread