Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Honestly, I don't mind that at all because there is a certain brand of nerd that needs to be told to shut the hell up.
Not ALL nerds. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Effectronica posted:

They should have had Thor wink at the camera or used Hostess cakes or something because wow was that unsubtle
If there's one word I think of when I think about superhero comics, it's definitely "subtlety."

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Effectronica posted:

The sum total of Marvel's Japanese characters that I can remember- a samurai, a bunch of ninja, a guy with a big rising sun flag on his chest, and a minor X-character with power from her ancestors.

EDIT: And Psylocke, technically.

The Silver Samurai's name is Keniuchio, which kinda sounds like a Japanese name and could theoretically be one but isn't actually. I hear they change his name to an actually Japanese one when translating it into Japanese so it wouldn't be like if he was an American named Jarshua or Babe-raham or something. He remains the coolest superhero ever because he was given his teleportation ring by John Belushi on an actual episode of Saturday Night Live.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Grant Morrison wanted Magneto to be a villain again, builds it up, and then they put a stop to it because they didn't think Magneto should be massacring people. They just sort of moved on and pretended it never happened which was just a bad way of handling a major plot line.

EDIT: It was pretty dumb but just about everything in mainstream comics is dumb. It's not like Marvel or DC is putting out Watchmen level writing on the reg and not shamelessly cashing in on superhero deaths.

I love Morrison's New X-Men to bits, I really do, but his portrayal of Magneto was basically one of the loving worst things I have ever seen him do outside of Infinite Crisis. It takes a special kind of ignorance to decide that a Jew who survived the holocaust is going to start rounding people up and putting them into concentration camps.

It really says a lot that with the "MLK/Malcolm X" analogy that people have constantly cited as being the basis for the Xavier/Magneto character relationship, the "Malcolm X" character is cast as the villain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Effectronica posted:

The sum total of Marvel's Japanese characters that I can remember- a samurai, a bunch of ninja, a guy with a big rising sun flag on his chest, and a minor X-character with power from her ancestors.

EDIT: And Psylocke, technically.

You forgot the entirety of Big Hero 6, but honestly anything about that before the movie is best forgotten anyway.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Fuego Fish posted:

It really says a lot that with the "MLK/Malcolm X" analogy that people have constantly cited as being the basis for the Xavier/Magneto character relationship, the "Malcolm X" character is cast as the villain.

This sounds really stupid. If you need one character to be the morally gray extremist how could you pick MLK? Or maybe I'm being stupid: when you say "it says a lot" what do you mean?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fuego Fish posted:

I love Morrison's New X-Men to bits, I really do, but his portrayal of Magneto was basically one of the loving worst things I have ever seen him do outside of Infinite Crisis. It takes a special kind of ignorance to decide that a Jew who survived the holocaust is going to start rounding people up and putting them into concentration camps.

Is that really, really any different from having him attempt to reverse the Earth's magnetic field or puppeteer people with "animal magnetism" or all the other hosed-up poo poo he did before Claremont made him basically a good guy? It's just taking the implicit statements in the actual character background into a more obvious form, just like Morrison did with Darkseid previously and after. Claremont and Magneto becoming heroic is also where the analogy comes in, because before that, there's basically no comparison between the two sets of people that's coherent.

Waffleman_ posted:

You forgot the entirety of Big Hero 6, but honestly anything about that before the movie is best forgotten anyway.

I wanted to make Marvel look as good as possible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MartianAgitator posted:

This sounds really stupid. If you need one character to be the morally gray extremist how could you pick MLK? Or maybe I'm being stupid: when you say "it says a lot" what do you mean?

Well at least post Mecca trip Malcolm X was a lot more moderate than MLK.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MartianAgitator posted:

It says a lot about people's pre-defined narrative that MLK was the "good" civil rights leader, because he talked about nonviolence, and his legacy has become this sort of happy, sanitized figure that white people can feel good about, presented as a white-acting man who would obviously disapprove of all these urban thugs with their pants sagging, and the hip-hops, and the drugs.

Meanwhile, Malcolm X is the "bad" civil rights leader, because he was aggressive and argumentative, and wasn't against violence in the same way that cuddly teddy bear MLK was. He didn't talk about having dreams and judging people by the content of their character - a dream that most white people believe has come true despite all the overwhelmed evidence to the contrary.

This simplistic, childish, insulting "good and bad" dichotomy is at the heart of the representation of Xavier being the "good mutant" and Magneto being the "bad mutant", to the point where the latter was given ludicrously stupid villain schemes to highlight how bad it is for a minority to get aggressive fighting back against systematic oppression and state-sponsored murder.

Effectronica posted:

having him attempt to reverse the Earth's magnetic field or puppeteer people with "animal magnetism" or all the other hosed-up poo poo he did before Claremont made him basically a good guy?

Case in point here. Never forget that in the Marvel universe, mutants get hunted down and murdered - not just by lynch mobs, but also by giant loving government-built robots. The Sentinels are big sassy purple humanoids, they're essentially the retro equivalent of drone strikes, and much like drone strikes they pretty much exclusively murdered the innocent.

Magneto is basically justified in half the stuff he does, and the other half is there as a sort of warning that minorities shouldn't be so aggressive towards authority or else. He works much better as a hero than a villain.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fuego Fish posted:

It says a lot about people's pre-defined narrative that MLK was the "good" civil rights leader, because he talked about nonviolence, and his legacy has become this sort of happy, sanitized figure that white people can feel good about, presented as a white-acting man who would obviously disapprove of all these urban thugs with their pants sagging, and the hip-hops, and the drugs.

Meanwhile, Malcolm X is the "bad" civil rights leader, because he was aggressive and argumentative, and wasn't against violence in the same way that cuddly teddy bear MLK was. He didn't talk about having dreams and judging people by the content of their character - a dream that most white people believe has come true despite all the overwhelmed evidence to the contrary.

This simplistic, childish, insulting "good and bad" dichotomy is at the heart of the representation of Xavier being the "good mutant" and Magneto being the "bad mutant", to the point where the latter was given ludicrously stupid villain schemes to highlight how bad it is for a minority to get aggressive fighting back against systematic oppression and state-sponsored murder.

Case in point here. Never forget that in the Marvel universe, mutants get hunted down and murdered - not just by lynch mobs, but also by giant loving government-built robots. The Sentinels are big sassy purple humanoids, they're essentially the retro equivalent of drone strikes, and much like drone strikes they pretty much exclusively murdered the innocent.

Magneto is basically justified in half the stuff he does, and the other half is there as a sort of warning that minorities shouldn't be so aggressive towards authority or else. He works much better as a hero than a villain.

Magneto was right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He is a metaphor for the illegitimate state of Israel.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

and much like drone strikes they pretty much exclusively murdered the innocent.

As opposed to bombs dropped by manned aircraft?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Error 404 posted:

Magneto was right.

Pretty much.

Also people should not forget that he didn't exactly leave the concentration camp in helmet and cape, ready to take what he'd learned from the Nazis and decide to put it to use on the decent, God-fearing, non-mutant (white) people. He tried working with Xavier from the start, he did a lot of pro-mutant stuff in a peaceful way. It was only after years of watching his people suffer and die that he said "gently caress this" and started wrecking poo poo.

But honestly the fact that the US government in the 1960s Marvel universe decided that sanctioning giant robot attacks on minors was a great idea, and that large swathes of the population thought so too, is enough to tell you that maybe the US government in the Marvel universe is horrifying and should be destroyed forever.

(Real life US government probably not much better, honestly.)

PresidentBeard posted:

As opposed to bombs dropped by manned aircraft?

Point taken.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

MartianAgitator posted:

The Silver Samurai's name is Keniuchio, which kinda sounds like a Japanese name and could theoretically be one but isn't actually. I hear they change his name to an actually Japanese one when translating it into Japanese so it wouldn't be like if he was an American named Jarshua or Babe-raham or something. He remains the coolest superhero ever because he was given his teleportation ring by John Belushi on an actual episode of Saturday Night Live.

My understanding is that in Japanese translations he's named Kenichiro, which is an actual name and probably the one the writer was thinking of.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fuego Fish posted:

Jesus Christ. Magneto was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby as an antagonistic force, before the X-men were more than weakly about civil rights. Chris Claremont made him much more ambiguous to the point of heroism and introduced the stupid, stupid idea of having Magneto be the Malcolm X to Xavier's MLK. Grant Morrison decided to push him back to being a more straightforward villain (or alternatively intended him to be another victim of Sublime) and have the radical wing be represented by different characters, who are less mind-bogglingly stupid in being representative of civil rights movements. There has never been a time when there was an intent to make the analogy coexist with Magneto as straightforward villain.

That being said, if we actually looked at what both Xavier and Magneto have done, the message would be that both King and Malcolm were motherfuckers, but let's leave that aside for the moment.

Magneto frankly works much better as a grey-hat than as a white-hat, because the constraints of X-comics being superhero comics demand it. He is one of two mutant characters, alongside Mystique, who can provide power and ambiguity to moral questions when they fight the X-men, and because they are fighting physically and the X-men are nominally white-hats, that means that both of them basically have to be leaders of terrorist organizations and doing the wrong thing (for sympathetic reasons). Making Magneto permanently a good guy or putting him as a white-hat on the radical end of mutant rights would require shifting X-men away from superheroes in the latter case and would require creating a character to replace him with actual staying power in the former. The other advantage of this from story purposes is that it allows Magneto to be more interesting if he's saying things that are more convincing, righter, than what the X-men have to offer but is still someone who has to be stopped right now (and is also personally pretty much a bastard). This also helps with keeping Magneto unpredictable so that he introduces suspense when he guest-stars in other comics or even appears in general, though it's not necessary for that to happen.

This, of course, requires writers worth a drat.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys are loving nerds.

Which xman is Che Guevara?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lord Frisk posted:

Which xman is Che Guevara?

Toad.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The internet forum for people who pretend to be wizards, animes or play with cards uses the nerd word too liberally.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The internet forum for people who pretend to be wizards, animes or play with cards uses the nerd word too liberally.

Water is also wet.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I'm starting to think some people in this thread have a real problem with self-loathing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Loving and accepting yourself is the first step to happiness and progress with your life.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just loathe nerds.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Evil Sagan posted:

I just loathe nerds.

*sighs*

Loving and accepting yourself is the first step to happiness and progress with your life.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Effectronica posted:

I'm starting to think some people in this thread have a real problem with self-loathing.

...When he himself is MADE of carbon?!?!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

...When he himself is MADE of carbon?!?!

You seem defensive. Why?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Effectronica posted:

You seem defensive. Why?

Please. You post your dumb schtick of "you say you hate nerds...But YOU YOURSELF are a nerd?!?!?!" every time you come into this subforum. It's tiresome at best.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

You post your dumb schtick of "you say you hate nerds...But YOU YOURSELF are a nerd?!?!?!" every time you come into this subforum, and it's tiresome at best.

What the hell. Are you confusing me with someone else?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Effectronica posted:

What the hell. Are you confusing me with someone else?

Shitposters kind of blur together sometimes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yukkuri shitteite ne, y'all.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

Shitposters kind of blur together sometimes.

I honestly lose track sometimes of who is derailing and when. It all just sorta becomes the same after a while.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

To pacify your spirits, I give you a quote from my GURPS pirate campaign:
"Goddamnit Percy, stop throwing our food to monsters!"
I hope you all feel better now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you're all faggots, glad I could solve this conundrum for you!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
In this subforum we prefer "nerds"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

you're all faggots, glad I could solve this conundrum for you!

livingtrope putting his big boy pants and trying big boy flames.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I never thought I would see the day when plutonis was the reasonable poster. For shame, badwrongfun.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

For shame, badwrongfun.

People called nerdy people "nerd." Real groundbreaking poo poo. He really showed that IRC channel.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I am a really reasonable person when I take my antipsychotics. Hurray for Psychiatry!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don't ever change plutonis. Except when your doctors tell you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

At least Mikael_Kreoss had the excuse of head-wound related brain damage.

• Locked thread