Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lord Frisk posted:

Don't ever change plutonis. Except when your doctors tell you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FactsAreUseless posted:

At least Mikael_Kreoss had the excuse of head-wound related brain damage.

That would explain a lot actually...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I am a really reasonable person when I take my antipsychotics. Hurray for Psychiatry!

Brain pills are pretty great

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That would explain a lot actually...
It's not a joke, the moon guy has a severely damaged head and hole.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

severely damaged hole.

!!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plutonis, talking to the moon at night: Why the long face?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Thank you, Plutonis, for reminding me I have a copy of Baudolino. I read it again because I was tired of trashy genre fiction and enjoyed it a lot and now I am back to reading trashy genre fiction.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Has anyone here played Blue Rose? I am reading some reviews to get a feel for the game, but I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who actually tried it.

e: If someone could also point me in yhe general direction of romantic fantasy novels, or at least explain to me why are they so strictly defined (there HAVE to be sentient animals, apparently?) I'd be grateful.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 25, 2015

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

Has anyone here played Blue Rose? I am reading some reviews to get a feel for the game, but I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who actually tried it.

e: If someone could also point me in yhe general direction of romantic fantasy novels, or at least explain to me why are they so strictly defined (there HAVE to be sentient animals, apparently?) I'd be grateful.

It's a d20 ripoff so it's mechanics are not as progressive as the content of the world you're role-playing in, although how progressive a world with magical gypsies in it can be is up to you to decide.

For your second question, it's a micro-genre so Romantic Fantasy is actually composed of a small selection of very prolific authors with similar recurring themes, so it can be easily defined.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

Talking to animals is one of the ancient dreams of humanity. Nowadays, we know that animals are dumb, so we invent special ones to talk to. Because of socialization factors, young women, the target audience of romantic fantasy, are more likely to express this dream today and so it appears there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My cats are dumb as hell, I still talk to them all the time. They just have one track minds, it's actually refreshingly simple once you get that they're trying in their tiny kitty brains, to manipulate you into doing whatever it is that they want at that moment.

But yeah, outside of like primates and some marine mammals animals don't have poo poo worth saying, it'd be like talking to a toddler.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My sister once asked a friend of hers why every book she'd lent her had talking cats in it. The friend hadn't even noticed. It's not just romantic fantasy, the things are everywhere in fantasy/sci-fi.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Splicer posted:

My sister once asked a friend of hers why every book she'd lent her had talking cats in it. The friend hadn't even noticed. It's not just romantic fantasy, the things are everywhere in fantasy/sci-fi.

Hell even the Baen books shitbag David Weber got to talking cats eventually.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I once read a series of books with alien telepaths who happened to look and act exactly like oversize cats, except you know not tiny sociopaths like cats actually are.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

jigokuman posted:

Thank you, Plutonis, for reminding me I have a copy of Baudolino. I read it again because I was tired of trashy genre fiction and enjoyed it a lot and now I am back to reading trashy genre fiction.

I dont think there is a bad Eco book so you should read all of them. Saramago is also one of my favorites but he is better read in Portuguese.

e: When I finish this book about the Peloponnesian War I'm probs going to try the Magic Mountain by Mann

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 25, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a website, app, tool, whatever where you can plug in a number or a range and it outputs the dice expressions that could result in that?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Could you give an example input/output?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Could you give an example input/output?

Like, I could put in a range of 3-12 and it'd tell me that I can get that with a 1d10+2 and any other dice expressions that could do it too

Or if I wanted to get damage dice that would average 7 damage per roll, I could input 7 and it'd tell me that 2d6 gets you there (with the understanding that multi-dice expressions produce bell curves)

VVVVVVV that lets me input a dice expression and gives me the possible results. I'm looking for the other way around.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 27, 2015

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a website, app, tool, whatever where you can plug in a number or a range and it outputs the dice expressions that could result in that?

http://anydice.com/

It takes a bit of learning to get the outputs you want, but it'll do just about anything with the right code.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, I could put in a range of 3-12 and it'd tell me that I can get that with a 1d10+2 and any other dice expressions that could do it too

Or if I wanted to get damage dice that would average 7 damage per roll, I could input 7 and it'd tell me that 2d6 gets you there (with the understanding that multi-dice expressions produce bell curves)

VVVVVVV that lets me input a dice expression and gives me the possible results. I'm looking for the other way around.
'll be away from my PC for the next 24 hours or so, but when I get back I can probably make you something. Should be pretty straightforward.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ha, I was just about done when I realised I was only looking at C+XdY formats (i.e. 4 to 18 would return 2+2d8, but not 2+1d8+1d10).

I'll look back into it tomorrow when I am less stupid. I haven't written anything in javascript in years so I'm having fun dusting off the cobwebs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

Ha, I was just about done when I realised I was only looking at C+XdY formats (i.e. 4 to 18 would return 2+2d8, but not 2+1d8+1d10).
Well, that's sitll correct becuase 1d8+1d10+2 has a minimum of 4, and a max of 20.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zereth posted:

Well, that's sitll correct becuase 1d8+1d10+2 has a minimum of 4, and a max of 20.
I meant 2 + 1d6 + 1d10 :doh:

Splicer posted:

I'll look back into it tomorrow when I am less stupid.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Blue Rose is a Mercedes Lackey book in RPG form so anything by her will work if you want to read up on the genre, especially the stuff where everyone gets a magic white horse friend to ride around on. Romantic fantasy is just fantasy with a progressive/positive spin. So like it's magical medieval Europe but everyone is chill with gay people and women can be cool and active participants in society (in ways that defy our revisionist view of the middle ages as a giant rape-and-plague-a-thon). So it's fantasy that's more of a female/minority power fantasy than the classic pulp male power fantasy. Tamora Pierce does the same thing but targeted at tweens/young adults, primarily in her Tortall novels.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The months keep March-ing on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703658

• Locked thread