Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

I don't even get why somebody would put that in a game at all, unless it was some kind of animal torture simulator.

"I need granular char gen to truly realize my vision of Michael Vick as a D&D character!"

It's less that a more a factor of trying to flesh out goblins and using them as fodder enemies at the same time. Training an animal for combat is supposed to be something of a barrier of entry for certain things, but horses and dogs will attack goblins without training because they just for some reason don't like goblins at all. I assume this is to prevent new untrained animal companions from being useless for the first few levels, because training becomes trivial. Due to goblins being the size of a toddler this usually ends with victory for the animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Guys, I know I was dogging on pathfinder for letting you take a feat specifically geared towards making you a fearsome killer of domesticated pets, but sometimes they knock it out of the park. Like this PC race's ability:

For point of reference this is an ability possessed by a plant race, and now that I think about it a fairly blatant copy of a namekian ability from Dragonball.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 5, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Specifically the Senator's whole fight.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Error 404 posted:

You mean like Slaves went "haywire" when they were emancipated?

Well closer to the slaves learning to talk and read/write. They were stills slaves during the second rebellion.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's really easy to have Shoggoth lords as the real bad guys with tragic/sympathetic normal shoggoth or proto-shoggoth underlings. Specifically one could have the lords' human shapes be the gift of some dark god they struck a deal with. Humans with their concrete form and distinct tissues are monstrous in the extreme to shoggoth culture, but such is the price of power.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly as a regular sufferer of snow I prefer it to the weird freezing rain/snow mix we tend to get through most of December. With snow the big plows and the early commuters clear it out by 7 am or so, but freezing slush rain will stick around for a full day or two causing car crashes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I have run into a few Soviet apologists while historical wargaming but they are nothing compared to the legions of wehraboo fascists.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Uruk are cannibals though?

Only in the movie. In the books accusations of cannibalism caused a duel, and they seemed to think that humans ate captured orcs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bob Quixote posted:

Yeah the 'always chaotic evil' thing is REALLY stupid.

I think most modern designers agree with you. Hence why even a lot of games that are grouped in retro aesthetics like Pathfinder have non-evil dudes of the various monsters races when they bother to examine them in detail.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Those sort of good guy necromancers and undead are in the Sacrred Lands setting by White Wolf and Tomb Kings in Warhammer Fantasy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Coincidentally, the Tomb Kings are super cool and neat. "Whole nation killed by rear end in a top hat father of Necromancy but that get up with their own will and personality still." is great.

Too bad they totally got chumped in the End Times bullshit. Settra was the only one even given a decent scene of defiance.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

The term originated on infamous Nazi internet forum Stormfront, and it's all just gone downhill from there.

I could have sworn it originated in GBS livejournal mock threads.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd recommend to change groups or set up another meeting time for dungeonworld. You two clearly have different preferences. You'll continue not liking the game, and complaining during combat likely isn't helping anyone else's enjoyment. There's nothing wrong with someone enjoying 3.5, there is something wrong in showing up to complain.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My group really doesn't have any issues with this sort of thing as combat is kinda the point of having a grid based overly fiddly RPG. Large combats take about as long as an xcom map if everyone knows what they're doing because it's the focus. Anyone who tries to use d20 or 4th edition for story games or who gets defensive about "power gamers" is dumb and using the wrong system.

edit: 4th edition had very well designed skirmish combat rules but the first monster manual had issues with bad monster design. Most high level enemies couldn't do anything interesting and had huge amounts of defense, so they took forever to kill relative to how lethal they were to the players. This was remedied in later monster books.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 18, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In general for me mordenheim, warmahordes, and 3.5 take about the same time assuming you're encountering 8+ enemies. Warhammer is always long because holy gently caress that game has gotten stupid and has high model counts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Your mordenheim games take over an hour?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

3.5 is a lot like dwarf fort. You can have fun with it but it requires absurd dissection of the rules boarding on autistic obsession. A 3.5 game with experienced players takes 20-30 minutes. Maybe an hour for really complicated encounters. For inexperienced players or a GM whose bad at running NPCs you end up with something that's a total mess and takes 2-3 hours. Mordenheim will always take about 20-40 minutes same with warmachine/hordes. Warhammer takes 1-3 hours depending on if someone has an army flatly better than another.

If you're just getting into the hobby I'd recommend 4th edition for shorter but still tactical combats. If you find you want more rules fiddliness go to 3.5 or Pathfinder, but 4th edition is a much better presented and tightly designed tactical game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's mainly the weird lego-like way they fit together. It makes you feel clever and unique for fitting something together that works better than the sum of its parts. Your ownership of the character is validated by diving through tons of books to make something relatively unique. Same basic reason people liked 2nd edition 40k, Palladium RPGs, dwarf fort, etc. Even then most people who enjoy that require houserules.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Possible though I can't imagine a gaming group being good while there is someone loudly complaining about system preferences throughout the game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sounds like the problem is more that your group is bad, or more specifically that your GM is bad.

edit: you also said that your complaints were loud and frequent, which is if accurate just you being a lovely friend. Having shittier friends doesn't absolve you of that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Marvel has issues casting anyone besides WASPs and white atheists. This also in the sky is blue.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MartianAgitator posted:

This sounds really stupid. If you need one character to be the morally gray extremist how could you pick MLK? Or maybe I'm being stupid: when you say "it says a lot" what do you mean?

Well at least post Mecca trip Malcolm X was a lot more moderate than MLK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

and much like drone strikes they pretty much exclusively murdered the innocent.

As opposed to bombs dropped by manned aircraft?

• Locked thread