Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm still processing Brent and what I can take away from the book's treatment of him.

Early in on the book I had been thinking to myself, maybe they'd be better off if they canceled Phoenix and fired Brent. Brent's not a bad guy or anything, but his role is slowly making things worse and worse over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Early in on the book I had been thinking to myself, maybe they'd be better off if they canceled Phoenix and fired Brent. Brent's not a bad guy or anything, but his role is slowly making things worse and worse over time.

It's a tricky thing, right? You're trying to impose structure and the Brent is effectively thwarting you because he's too busy doing what he's always done to go along with your plan. On the other hand you have everyone else in IT saying that the Brent is the only guy who can do anything, so firing him doesn't feel like a solution to anything. I don't know how Brent ends up but I have worked with people who occupied that niche and very clearly did not want to share information because they preferred being the all-knowing irreplaceable Oracle. Finding the right leverage to push them toward more social behavior, or finding the way to make them unnecessary before pulling the plug and rebooting your team, is a very tricky bit of the manager's art.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I think the brent of parts unlimited wouldn't mind taking on less responsibility in exchange for the work he does to have meaning. However other "Alignment" brents would all behave differently in different situation. He could of easily been painted as standoffish and combative.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
"Show me a developer who isn’t crashing production systems, and I’ll show you one who can’t fog a mirror. Or more likely, is on vacation."

I just read 15 chapters at once and I'm convinced I know Brent irl.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

meanieface posted:

I just read 15 chapters at once and I'm convinced I know Brent irl.

I know! It's a compelling story.
I'm holding off on the rest to let everyone else catch up but don't let me slow anyone down.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I'm currently on Chapter 8 and this line is probably the best one in the book so far:

quote:

I spent hours role-playing worst-case scenarios over the weekend. Apparently, I'm going to have to practice being more pessimistic.

Poor guy just can't catch a break. :laugh:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Ok, I am through chapter 17 and no longer fully identify with Brent because he is what I strive not to be. Like Zorak of Michigan said, he is a minefield and you have to deal with him with the utmost care.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
While not entirely constructive, if you replace all "Phoenix" with "healthcare.gov" chapter 4 is probably close to what happened.

Edit: Also, I haven't wanted someone to die as much as I want Sarah to since that fanatical religious woman from The Mist. I know far too many people like this, and I'm definitely remembering the pig metaphor.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 5, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Analogical posted:

While not entirely constructive, if you replace all "Phoenix" with "healthcare.gov" chapter 4 is probably as close to reality as it got.

I actually suspect that something very similar happened.

I don't know how much you've read about Healthcare.gov but you definitely could make that substitution throughout the book.

I'll ask around in the Obamacare thread to see if any of the guys who were involved can comment.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
So I'm a lean six sigma green belt. :confuoot:

Seriously I've underwood using it to clean up an existing process or look at the costs of a potential project vs the estimated profit but this.. This is starting to make me feel very funny about some things at work that get on my nerves and I want to buy a copy for my boss.

So far, loving this book. :neckbeard:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I finished the book. I feel the entire thing can be summed up in three words: "God dammit Sarah."

Was a very fun read all around. :)

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A few years back the a huge chunk of the executive team got canned because of an incident involving Ron Jeremy.
You can't just leave it at that especially if it involves Ron jeremy in person

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I actually suspect that something very similar happened.

I don't know how much you've read about Healthcare.gov but you definitely could make that substitution throughout the book.

I'll ask around in the Obamacare thread to see if any of the guys who were involved can comment.

You need to lay out some examples here cause Healthcare.gov was a completely different beast then almost any other government project I've worked with. A true clash between reality and political deadlines. I like this guy take on it the best: http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2013/11/healthcare-gov-and-the-gulf-between-planning-and-reality/

Book looks fun!

BexGu fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 5, 2015

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

Zeratanis posted:

I finished the book. I feel the entire thing can be summed up in three words: "God dammit Sarah."

I'm not even mad at her. If the big boss had some kind of last man standing political battle and that's how she got the role, she's merely a product of her environment.

She does sound like a terrible spider. Varys would have had her killed halfway through the novel because she's too open.

Every time it said she was tapping on her iPhone, I wanted to be like "who the hell are you texting"?! :argh:

Stealth edit: autocorrect.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I was in that shop my worry would not that Sarah was around, it's that other C-level people had created an environment where Sarah flourished. You find someone like that around, you know that this is not time to discuss managing change and passing out copies of Who Moved My Cheese, this is war to the knife.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Let's try to finish up the rest of the book by Friday.

We also need to pick a new book.
I'd like to do that EMC book,
There's also a new VMware 6.0 book coming out in April and the new Red Hat Cert guide comes out in September.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Let's try to finish up the rest of the book by Friday.

Just had time to finish it. I'd call it "Six Sigma for Dummies".

The concepts are good, but the writing was kind of atrocious and the characters were totally one-dimensional.

Open for the next book.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I don't really like the characters in the Phoenix project but I find it kind of hard to fault them for it - they're basically just writing the Goal except set in IT instead of manufacturing.

I'll toss my vote in for that EMC book as well. It looks like something I'd like to read but would never get around to doing of my own volition without peer pressure.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
The frequent "While I was a Marine" moments he'd have started to get corny as hell. I am drawing a lot more parallels between work projects and phoenix though, which frightens me. I was at work earlier and kept notice of how we handle our Brent, then spent an hour stacking up how I realized he really was a single point of failure for us and nobody is prepared for not having him available as a resource.

Open for ideas on the next book though. 10/10 enjoying group read

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I read the pdf and it's not a bad read but I don't know that I want to spend $10 for the rest. We're a small IT department but we also have a brent. Particularly the part where he breaks the stuff then knows how to fix it. Also it's not so much that he's better than everyone else, he just does everything and doesn't let anyone else know how to do the stuff he does.

But Sarah is frightening.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

myron cope posted:

I read the pdf and it's not a bad read but I don't know that I want to spend $10 for the rest. We're a small IT department but we also have a brent. Particularly the part where he breaks the stuff then knows how to fix it. Also it's not so much that he's better than everyone else, he just does everything and doesn't let anyone else know how to do the stuff he does.

But Sarah is frightening.

I like the suggestion that was made to put a keylogger on his computer.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I finished the book and felt like it kinda limped to the finish.

That being said, I am Brent in the way that I am involved in all major projects and am the first line of troubleshooting issues. I've been more forceful about managing my time and sanity over the past 6 months after a major burnout last summer, and it has been working out better, but it is still not great. If my colleague or I ever leave (and that is looking more likely in the short term) this company would be in a world of hurt, which is why you can't just double down on the Brents of the world and hope for the best.

I'm voting for the EMC book too.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh,

I'd rather read something else besides the EMC Book but I don't have any other suggestion so... I guess it's the EMC Book :downs:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
My vote is still for the Powershell book. Pipes are cool! :eng101:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm a bit behind the Phoenix Project but is the book not free? I'm stopped at Chapter 16

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Right. There's a free excerpt floating around but the full book costs money.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to get started on this book:

Information Storage and Management: Storing, Managing, and Protecting Digital Information in Classic, Virtualized, and Cloud Environments
by EMC Education Services
Link: http://amzn.com/1118094832

It's 15 chapters. I think 2 per week is reasonable.

I'm going to start today, don't worry about falling behind or getting ahead, just mention the chapter you're on so that we avoid spoilers! BE SURE TO BUY EMC PRODUCTS

Edit:

Someone else should pick the next book, for the people who weren't interested in this one, start looking for something you'd like!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Just bought it, in for 2 chapters a week.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

I'm in for the EMC book as well. Just purchased it! 2 chapters a week sounds more than doable.

I'm hoping this will give me a decent grasp on storage. Recently got my VCP but my experience with storage appliances is very limited so far.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Chapter 1 is sorta making me laugh. I know you've got to start somewhere and define a bunch of terms so everyone is on the same page, but I'm just picturing someone being exposed to the concept of "data" or "information" for the first time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I had the same reaction and also a few derisive snorts. Today I agree with most of what they say about server-centric storage, but I remember a time when we built every server with an external 8x18gb RAID chassis, and EMC tried to convince us that leveraged storage would be superior. It wasn't even close. Modern hard drive sizes have changed the math in their favor.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Reading through the extract of The Phoenix Project, I can completely relate to all the time management problems we're seeing here... except I'm relating to it personally more than on a company scale.

I've seen all sides of the Phoenix scenario as well.

Loving the book. Looks like I'm picking up a physical copy for myself.

Also,

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a bit behind the Phoenix Project but is the book not free? I'm stopped at Chapter 16

The free exert is about 1/2 the book. Amazon has it for $10 on Kindle, $16 for paperback.

Might be in for the EMC book. Kind of strapped for cash right now but I'll look into it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not sure if this is quite the right thread for it, but I was thinking of picking up and reading through Cisco's "IPv6 Fundamentals: A Straightforward Approach to Understanding IPv6" by Rick Graziani. My CCNA instructor recommended it, so it's probably good. Just wanted to know the goon opinion on it.

Thanks!

e: s/leaving/reading/

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 21, 2015

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Would be interested in the IPv6 depending on it's quality after the current one. Lammle's CCNA book section wasn't very helpful.

icehewk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 21, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Definitely something good to go over. IPv6 is probably here to stay.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not sure if this is quite the right thread for it, but I was thinking of picking up and reading through Cisco's "IPv6 Fundamentals: A Straightforward Approach to Understanding IPv6" by Rick Graziani. My CCNA instructor recommended it, so it's probably good. Just wanted to know the goon opinion on it.

Thanks!

e: s/leaving/reading/

Its probably a bit early to be discussing what to read after the emc book but sign me up since I just bought the ipv6 book two days ago anyways.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Gonna skip the EMC book, but totally in for ipv6

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So, I finished reading The Phoenix Project on the weekend, and I'm going to reread it again. It was a fun read. Yes, it's a somewhat unrealistic scenario, but I, personally, learned a lot about time management from it.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I look forward to joining this thread but right now I am halfway through cramming for the CCNA, CCNA: Security and CCDA exams. I've chowed through 500 pages + labs/questions/exam samples, still have about 1200 pages to go and my bootcamp starts the week after next. After that I am so down to read about ipv6 or whatever else we're on at that point.

icehewk posted:

Would be interested in the IPv6 depending on it's quality after the current one. Lammle's CCNA book section wasn't very helpful.

I skimmed over the IPv6 stuff and it just looks scary because I'm unfamiliar with the new notation. Hopefully by the time I make it to that chapter it's not so bad :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Made it through chapter 4 of the EMC book now. Their explanation of RAID 3 was interesting - I'm familiar with 0, 1, 5, and 6, but never had occasion to touch the rest. The part where it went from theory to "this is how awesome a Symmetrix is" might have pissed me off if I was just hoping to learn about storage, but since I work in a place with a VMAX and a VNX, seeing them outline the differences was useful to me.

• Locked thread