Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
IPv6 book is ace, but I stopped reading it and need a good reason to start again. This works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I have the Powershell book but only made it...5 chapters in? Thereabouts

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have the powershell book. I vote for powershell

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'm down to learn some powershell.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Powershell should be a lot easier reading than IPv6.

How about we spend the next month doing powershell and then do IPv6

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Good by me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anything that involves putting off ipv6 is good by me!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sounds like it's Powershell!

Powershell 3 in a month of lunches

I have the book but have read more than a few pages but how fast do we want to go?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sheep posted:

Anything that involves putting off ipv6 is good by me!

Storage was rough so this'll be a fun easy one.

Maybe it'd be good to make separate threads to make it easier for people to jump in or for people to do multiple books?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Storage was rough so this'll be a fun easy one.

Maybe it'd be good to make separate threads to make it easier for people to jump in or for people to do multiple books?

We could start a new one but with a Powershell title but I don't think we should split the enthusiasm.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Got my copy of Powershell in Lunches, it comes with a free eBook copy :woop:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Does anyone have recommendation for more books along the following lines?
The Phoenix Project
The Soul of a New Machine

I've managed to fall behind on the others, but I'm slowly working through EMC's Storage book.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

the spyder posted:

Does anyone have recommendation for more books along the following lines?
The Phoenix Project
The Soul of a New Machine

I've managed to fall behind on the others, but I'm slowly working through EMC's Storage book.

For the EMC book, keep on struggling! It's tough.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For the EMC book, keep on struggling! It's tough.

I've been taking it one chapter at a time- and it's relevant now seeing as we have two Isilons.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm about 5 chapters into the Powershell book. I've read it on and off for a while now and like it quite a bit. One thing I havent seen mentioned yet in the book, but has been helpful for me is import-module whatever. Really adds to what can be done with powershell and shows you how baked in it is to Microsoft products now. I have AD imported as part of my profile now.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm at chapter 2 myself, but I think the reason we aren't seeing the import module, is because from 3.0. powershell automatically adds the module to the command you give?

I know I have to use the import module on powershell v2.

I may be very wrong on this.Only at chapter 2

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Not exactly books but I've been resorting to helping people on the Ubiquiti network device forums when I can't sleep :gerty:

To IPv6 books, that poo poo would keep me awake cause I love me some IPv6.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I gave up waiting for Jang's RHCSA7 and picked this up at lunch:

Ghori's RHCSA & RHCE Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7: Training and Exam Preparation Guide

Anyone want to enter into some sort of chapter completion-based blood pact let me know

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Ghori's RHCSA & RHCE Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7: Training and Exam Preparation Guide

Anyone want to enter into some sort of chapter completion-based blood pact let me know

I think Jang's books have more quality but I'm not interested in waiting until November either. There's quite a few of us whom are interested in RHEL Certs and I'll try to advertise in other threads when I'm not on my phone later.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Roargasm posted:

I have the RHEL7 RHCSA Cert, I posted in the other thread, but figure I'll cross post. I passed in December, and I have the official course book right here. I don't think I can share any copies of it, but I'd be happy to give any guidance on what the labs and tests are like.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have the RHEL7 RHCSA Cert, I posted in the other thread, but figure I'll cross post. I passed in December, and I have the official course book right here. I don't think I can share any copies of it, but I'd be happy to give any guidance on what the labs and tests are like.

Crosspostin' as well.

I have the official RHCSA and RHCE books, but I'll pick this up and follow along

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are the official RH Course books not available to the public?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Are the official RH Course books not available to the public?

I'm pretty sure you get them by paying for official RH training

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well, I bought the book and it'll be here Thursday.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
How does the scheduling work? I want to buy it today but I have a tendency to blow through a book so quickly it aint funny. I would kind of like to stay with the pack.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

No strict schedule, things move as fast as people participle with questions or comments about what they've read.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

insidius posted:

How does the scheduling work? I want to buy it today but I have a tendency to blow through a book so quickly it aint funny. I would kind of like to stay with the pack.

About a chapter a week, sometimes more.

In all seriousness, if you don't have Linux experience, take it slow. Long term retention is gonna take doing it a few times, even if you get it right the first time.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Are we done with powershell already? I shelved it on day three for a variety of reasons.

Anyways can someone post an Amazon link to the Linux book?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone have Kindle Unlimited? Looks awesome, but I don't think newer tech books are on there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
For all the people who either don't care about Linux or know it well already, I'd like to put out Sidney Dekker's Field Guide to Understanding Human Error, which I consider to be a pretty important book for operations people, people managers, or anyone interested in figuring out why things are always loving broken.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
And are we ever doing ipv6?

Also in for the guide to human error as I slowly drift into management

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

For all the people who either don't care about Linux or know it well already, I'd like to put out Sidney Dekker's Field Guide to Understanding Human Error, which I consider to be a pretty important book for operations people, people managers, or anyone interested in figuring out why things are always loving broken.

This is definitely on my todo list, heard great things.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

TL;DR Reading: Sidney Dekker's The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error

Chapter 1: The Bad Apple Theory
In this chapter, Dekker explains the Old View of understanding error, one which is tied to an understanding that "human error" is responsible for failures. Dekker proposes that while operators make decisions that appear in retrospect to be obviously terrible and dangerous, there exists a deeper truth: we cannot understand these decisions in hindsight alone without understanding why the operators did what they did. If we want to understand the underlying causes of a failure, we need to understand not just the people at the controls, so to speak, but the context with which the operators worked within a larger system. Blaming "human error" and actually learning from failure are two mutually exclusive outcomes. The goal of an investigation should be to learn from failure, not to engage in a witch hunt (sidenote: this mirrors the systems thinking approach of business luminaries like W. Edwards Deming). Overspecifying procedures, in an attempt to create a foolproof algorithm to avoid future recurrence of a problem, is more likely to cause additional errors in the future than it is to provide a net benefit. Similarly, reprimanding operators for "human error" is likely to cause people to sweep deviations from procedure under the rug, as opposed to improving outcomes. Investigations should begin with the assumption that people want to do their jobs well; you have to understand why what people did made sense to them at the time.

Choice quotes:
  • "A system isn't automatically safe: people actually have to create safety through practice at all levels of the organization.
  • "Error is a starting point, not a conclusion."
  • "If you conclude 'human error', you may as well not have spent money on this investigation"
  • "But procedural overspecification is likely to widen the gap between procedures and practice, rather than narrow it. Rules will grow more and more at odds with the context-dependent nature of practice."
  • "With fear of punishment, people will hide evidence of mistakes. They will no longer report irregularities. They will remain silent about problems, incidents, occurrences."
  • "If your explanation still relies on unmotivated people, you have more work to do."
  • "You have to understand why what people did made sense to them at the time."

This was a good chapter, and a worthwhile read. Dekker harps on some of these points again a little too long in later chapters. We'll get to that.

As an aside, if you've ever engaged in "five whys"-style troubleshooting while performing a root cause analysis, these can provide a good starting point, but often arrive at exactly the kind of conclusions this chapter warns against.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 21, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chapter 2: The New View of Human Error
This very short chapter slightly expounds upon several of the principles introduced in the preceding chapter. Dekker reiterates that human error is not the cause of failure, but an underlying symptom of a systemic cause that must be identified in order to increase the safety of the system. Safety is never the only goal of the system being operated: it is an operational requirement in service of meeting other business goals. (This should sound familiar to everyone who's ever tried to do security, business continuity, or other risk-management work.) Accidents are not caused by a breakdown of processes that are well-functioning; rather, any such process should be validated against the sum of the circumstances perceived and navigated by the operator. (This dovetails into Nassim Taleb's work on Black Swans, as well as Donald Rumsfeld's explanation of "unknown unknowns.") Failures are actually byproducts of normal work, and safety is something which has to be deliberately and constantly worked towards by the entire organization. "Human errors" should be viewed as an example of the systemic problems which can easily happen to anyone else in the future. Dekker reiterates that the solution to accidents is not to reflexively institute new procedures, because those procedures may deny someone the autonomy to deal safely with a complicated circumstance. Likewise, new technology designed to improve the system's safety may introduce new problems as or more quickly than it fixes old ones. (As anyone who's worked with a badly-designed clustering solution can tell you.)

Choice quotes:
  • "Trade-offs between safety and other goals often have to be made under uncertainty and ambiguity. Goals other than safety are easy to measure (How much fuel or time will we save? Will we get to our destination?). However, how much people borrow from safety to achieve those goals is difficult to measure."
  • "Accidents emerge from a system's complexity, not from its apparent simplicity."

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 21, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Which edition of human error are you reading?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Which edition of human error are you reading?
This Kindle edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Understanding-Human-Error-ebook/dp/B00BL0OZ0E

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

As an aside, if you've ever engaged in "five whys"-style troubleshooting while performing a root cause analysis, these can provide a good starting point, but often arrive at exactly the kind of conclusions this chapter warns against.

At DevOps Days Rockies last month, there was a session on postmortems. A guy from Etsy (not Allspaw) was there and very insistent that Five Why's is generally terrible. Because unless you're really being serious about not using the human error crutch, guess what? The root cause is always miraculously "Homeboy hosed up!" Or worse, one Why is "Homeboy hosed up!" and then the next Why is "because he is a dumb poo poo and should be fired". Which lets you completely cop out of actually learning or improving as a result of the incident.

Contrast that with

1) The site went down. Why?
2) Database got corrupted and crashed. Why?
3) Docjowles failed over the master DB to the slave to conduct routine patching, and the new Master was out of disk space. Why?
4) Before being promoted to master, the Slave's disk had been full for the last month. Why?
5) A cleanup job that runs nightly on the master was never ported to the slave. Why?
Because we don't use config management to keep everything in sync automatically. We should probably look into that!

If you're doing O.G. root-cause analysis, you probably stop at #3 and say "lol loving Docjowles, that moron didn't even check if the disk was full". But I shouldn't have to. Walking back a few steps further to investigate why it was even possible for me to do the procedure wrong in the first place opens up a whole new way of managing the infrastructure. Which might never have been considered if I just got fired for crashing the site.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

At DevOps Days Rockies last month, there was a session on postmortems. A guy from Etsy (not Allspaw) was there and very insistent that Five Why's is generally terrible. Because unless you're really being serious about not using the human error crutch, guess what? The root cause is always miraculously "Homeboy hosed up!" Or worse, one Why is "Homeboy hosed up!" and then the next Why is "because he is a dumb poo poo and should be fired". Which lets you completely cop out of actually learning or improving as a result of the incident.

Contrast that with

1) The site went down. Why?
2) Database got corrupted and crashed. Why?
3) Docjowles failed over the master DB to the slave to conduct routine patching, and the new Master was out of disk space. Why?
4) Before being promoted to master, the Slave's disk had been full for the last month. Why?
5) A cleanup job that runs nightly on the master was never ported to the slave. Why?
Because we don't use config management to keep everything in sync automatically. We should probably look into that!

If you're doing O.G. root-cause analysis, you probably stop at #3 and say "lol loving Docjowles, that moron didn't even check if the disk was full". But I shouldn't have to. Walking back a few steps further to investigate why it was even possible for me to do the procedure wrong in the first place opens up a whole new way of managing the infrastructure. Which might never have been considered if I just got fired for crashing the site.
This is a huge improvement, but I'd argue that this is still pretty far from complete. Going even further:

6) Someone clearly understood during the post-mortem that configuration management was the right approach to produce repeatable server builds. Why weren't we already using it here?
7) Okay, so we are using configuration management pretty much everywhere, but this one change snuck into production because the cleanup job was a rush job added during an emergency.
8) Why are we adding maintenance jobs during an emergency?
9) Okay, this one was really important. But why didn't a ticket get created to backport the maintenance task into configuration management?
10) The engineer-on-call was really tired and forgot to create a ticket. Are we overworking our on-call engineers late at night? Is there something going on in Jim's personal life where we should give him a break from the on-call rotation for awhile?
11) By the way, should we invest in some mechanism to check for changes that aren't managed by configuration management?
12) Oh yeah, why weren't we monitoring the disk space again?

It becomes pretty obvious that your "root cause analysis" is really starting to look more like a tree of disparate factors shoved into list form. Go deeper, and it's probably not even a tree anymore, but more like a weighted directed graph. The graph probably even contains cycles where you get feedback loops!

The frustrating part is that if you don't do this, and you follow a single causal chain, you can still see improvements in system reliability! Because people see improvements, even though they aren't enough, people feel like they're doing postmortems correctly by using Five Whys. You're just attacking the problem from one angle and you'll have to do it again the next time the stupid thing falls apart for some other related reason.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 21, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sheep posted:

Are we done with powershell already? I shelved it on day three for a variety of reasons.

Anyways can someone post an Amazon link to the Linux book?

The Powershell book is really good but 90% of time I can figure out what I need to do in Powershell already or just hack together existing scripts.

Here's the RHEL Book RHCSA & RHCE Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7: Training and Exam Preparation Guide (EX200 and EX300), Third Edition

That's the 06' version and there is a newer one but it's interesting so I'll pick it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

The Powershell book is really good but 90% of time I can figure out what I need to do in Powershell already or just hack together existing scripts.

Here's the RHEL Book RHCSA & RHCE Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7: Training and Exam Preparation Guide (EX200 and EX300), Third Edition

That's the 06' version and there is a newer one but it's interesting so I'll pick it up.

The RHC(SA|E) book arrived today and is huge. Maybe twice as large as the official training docs

• Locked thread