Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Your work often looks like it is made from manipulated photos, not hand-drawing. If you traced or did filters on a photo and added some details, it seems kind of deceiving to call it "drawing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think I understand the distinction you're making, so please take the following just as a critique.

When you work very carefully from photos--so carefully that the "photographic" aesthetic aspects of the original are carried over into the final piece, I think it undermines the organic elements that make artwork look like a human product.

When traditional artists work from photos, they typically reinterpret the underlying structure and form of the subject, rather than the individual patches of color that comprise the surface. For example, Norman Rockwell worked extensively from photos and even traced onto his canvasses using a projector. However, he enlivened the source material through caricature and artistic reinterpretation, rather than exact copying. There is a reason for that.

Artists who draw/paint from life create finished works that do not look like photos, even if their technique and style are "realistic" and intensely refined. The way human eyes see form and color is different from the way cameras do, and things are lost in translation.

I respect the amount of careful work you obviously put into the process of doing these pieces but I don't think the finished work is served well by your approach.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
same

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Hey Humboldt Squid, you might benefit from this video about smoothing out your rendering: https://vimeo.com/45202609

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Imaginary Friend posted:

Nice coloring! Is there a story behind this.. uh slimey can-beast?

Yeah, going for drawn animations so trying to figure out a simple design for a huge number of characters so I can poop 'em out with the same base animations. Here's a quick test with no extra hand-drawn frames (body moving to the side, eyes blinking etc.).

Some stuff - like legs - will probably have to have hand drawn frames to look nice though I kinda like the sort of whimsy papercut animation style.. I mean.. LOOK AT HIM GO!

Rotate the ribcage a bit forward -- people lean forward when they run.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Keep on truckin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I feel you, man. :emo:

• Locked thread