Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This month's theme is expression!
Expression is more than the look on someone's face, body language,your palette, composition and mood of your piece all work together to create expression within the work (and hopefully within the viewer).
Anyway, facial expressions are actually kind of a pain in the butt, so I really recommend The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression which goes over everything you need to know in exhausting, excruciatingly boring detail.

Here's some examples!

Picasso

Courbet and Sophie Taeuber-Arp

Hans Richter and Judy Chicago

Fernando Botero and D. Jeffrey Mims

Yue Minjin

Here's 50 1-2 min. expression studies. Proportions are all over the place (especially on that last one) because i wasn't really focusing on that, just the expressions themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Dicynodonts are pretty hard to draw.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

And yeah, most expression references I've found seem to be bad acting references rather than anything useful, which is why I like the book I linked in the OP since it goes into detail about how muscles of the face actually contort ect.

Anyway, today's theme for DailySketchChallenge on DA was Garnet from steven universe

both my kids love that show so I pretty much had to :p

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ideas for next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

New thread is up!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703732

• Locked thread