Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm so excited, we've accepted an offer on our house for exactly what we expected to get.

I need to reconfirm the mortgage offer from the bank then we can go shopping, there's basically three houses on our shortlist and I'd be happy with any of them. Top favourite has a double garage already :hellyeah:

The main thing though is the kids will have their own rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

Just got offered an amazing job for a really cool company with a £5k salary bump within 2 hours of leaving the factory. :yotj:

As a bonus I get to leave the Midlands and move back in with my bf's family rent free, which is both awesome and lame at the same time. I might enjoy one or two beers tonight.

Congrats, where you moving to?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Selling paperwork for the house has come through already, no chain, funding in place, solicitors already appointed. poo poo, this could be done in mere weeks :rolleyes:

Just need to get the bank to confirm the mortgage offer and I can start putting offers in. The seller for the house I'm most interested in isn't doing viewings this weekend. Just give the keys to the agent damnit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm watching death proof. Does it get good it is it just Tarantino masturbating?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Death proof: maybe 40 minutes max of action, don't bother.

Wonder what else Netflix has, my wife is out tonight for the first time in like 12 months.
E:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 6, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alaska does not sound like the sort of place to try and scavenge energy from the outside. $50,000 buys a lot of insulation and natural gas.

E: assuming you have gas

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

I want to say he doesn't and that the propane prices where he is (trucked in by Amerigas) are super high. I asked something similar when he posted about it previously because I forgot he was in Alaska. And I also asked about solar which would be LOL in winter there.

I don't think we have many Alaska goons, so Advent Horizon might be better finding a local forum or just hitting google for options.

Well and questioning himself deeply about how much he likes the house he lives in because gently caress, that's a lot of money for just a heating system. Unless the ROI is there I couldn't justify it and even then I'd want to know I was going to be in the house at least 5-10 more years.

Okay, then $50,000 buys a poo poo load of wood pellets, or coal, or whale oil or whatever the gently caress else burns at -40'c.

How much do Russian surplus RTGs go for these days?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Moxie Omen posted:

Why do I have to own 25+ year old piece of poo poo cars? Why can't I just drive them all to the junkyard, title and keys in the seat, walk away and buy an actual new car? Barf

You can, you'll just have to deal with dealer bullshit then paying all your money for a dull as poo poo car.

Unless you buy and dd an atom.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just installed steam, goodbye cruel world.

Then discovered I already have an account :psyduck:

So now I only need to know if spintires will work on the my laptop, built in Intel HD 3000 graphics only.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My wife knows if the perfect car pops up for the right price I'm getting it, regardless of lack of storage space or running condition.

Also booking houses to view right now, which means the perfect car will pop up shortly and gently caress me in the rear end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I went to see a new build today, 3 houses build on a little scrag of land, garage & 3br each, decent gardens & drive space, room sizes etc. We liked it more than any other house we've seen, even though it's at the top of our price range.

And it's decently built, right angles & straight lines everywhere :psyduck: Probably helps the builder is local. He seemed nice.

Gotta ring the bank tomorrow then reserve the one we want, if we get in early we have a little say on the kitchen & bathroom layout. I'm quite excited, I just need to figure out how to guarantee everything he said would be done will be.

We can justify it being £15k more than any other house we've seen as it doesn't need redecoration, a new kitchen, new windows, rewiring etc

I'm so looking forward to moving out of this grim bunker, I'll have to meet up with the Stoke goons when we get in. Could be 4-6 months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

Is there someone else in Stoke too?

Good news on the house front! Hope you get it sorted! I'll see you when you get here! Assume the one you have found is where you were looking before?

Thanks, its in Blythe Bridge, right where my wife wanted to be, schools are decent, travel time to work is greatly reduced.

I thought there were more Stoke goons, I know there are a few outside AI but I haven't been in touch with the ones from Trad games for years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Made an offer on the new build house, accepted. I'm so stoked, only a single garage but a nice amount of space all around. Top of my budget though, going into maximum budgeting mode asap to see if we can scrape another couple of grand together by the time it's done, every little helps.

And all this networking talk made me realise the builder already ran coax through the house, wonder if it's too late to slip him a reel of cat6 and get it jammed in there too? More likely we'll have a central router and wifi everything, it's not a hardship to me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm watching part 1 of Project Binky right now, oh god why did I wait so long? Anyone wondering what it is or not watching it yet, go, now, find it, watch it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I drove a Prius+ at work the other day and I've got to say that for a £30-odd-k car it's the shittiest plastic interior I've ever been subject to. It reminded me of a base model transit but nastier.

Also, episode 7, that lock mechanism :catstare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The day i realise I'm going bald I'm shaving and never going back, it's the only self-respecting way to go

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

I never got to have an in n out burger the last time I was in the US. Regret. We do now have 5 Guys here which are pretty loving amazing... I just love the fact they're no nonsense burgers, nothing fancy, just great quality. We've got loads of fancy pants gourmet burger joints and they all pale in comparison. It also makes me genuinely feel sorry for my vegan friends that they'll never eat something as loving beautiful.

Wait what?!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My bank won't give me an appointment to turn my mortgage promise into a mortgage for another 8 weeks.

Time to find another bank.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

One thing is I'm nervous to go get another mortgage offer because what I want is reet close to what they said would be my maximum, I don't want loads of credit pulls that end up lowering what I can get.

I'm sure I'm just paranoid though. I'll try another branch tomorrow, if I can't get in there soon it's new bank time. I don't mind switching all my accounts etc too, they make it stupid easy over here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I had the same problem when I tried to do mine through my bank.
Ended up doing it through the mortage advice bureau.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

freelop posted:

Just be careful if you do this.
I went for the Halifax "we'll give you money to switch to us+extras" deal they had in late 2013 and everything seemed to go very well.

I'll be leaving Halifax, no worries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

For those of you closing in on new houses, congrats and good luck.

Our bank however decided to let me know we need 20% deposit, not the 16% we have, because of bullshit reasons around the house we want being a new build.

I'm annoyed as hell because if I'd have known that I'd never have looked at it. There's an outside chance they'll lower the requirement, but I won't find out for a week.

To paraphrase the UK megathread, All bankers are cunts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's bullshit especially if you discussed the deposit earlier and they agreed on the 16%. Yes banks, bankers and credit unions are largely a bunch of cunts.

They said i could go as low as a 5% deposit because I have excellent credit when I got a mortgage promise then dropped on me that new builds need 20% when I told them I'd found this house. I can't find anything on their website about this that would have prewarned me but I never thought to ask. Why would I? It all hinges on who the builder is affiliated with, and this guy is a small developer/builder who's taking his time and taking some care. He has all the necessary insurances/assurances, bonded warranties etc and we can scrape together 16%, family have generously offered a small amount that would bring or deposit up to 18.5% but if we cut all services and vices and went into saving overdrive we still wouldn't get the extra in time.

It's very frustrating because we can afford the house with a reasonable deposit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

I've never noticed one of the camo patterns they have is shaped like people, which is particularly fantastic.

Good luck on the job, get me a roll of this if you get in :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hell I choose to go in tomorrow to fix something rather than wait 2 weeks for general maintenance to do it. I reckon I can wrap it up in 3 hours, so I'll hardly miss any of the day.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

bolind posted:

I also know nothing about cars, but boy howdy, do I own tools, and I've just rearranged them so that even James May would be impressed:

Screwdrivers! And boxcutters, writing stuff and o-ring tools.

Ahhhhhhhh that stubby is throwing everything off fix it fix it fix it fix it :shepface:

E: I'm jealous of your wera stuff btw.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh good chili chat. At least it's not more information about the internal states of goons bowels.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I make my chili with STUFF, too. Including black, pinto and kidney beans.

And I serve/eat it on pasta with some cheddar cheese on top.

Now what. :colbert:

I would eat this chili.

Remembered I had a £10 screwing gift card expiring today, and my angle grinder buy the dust a while ago. They had an offer on as well so my new angle grinder ended up costing £10, score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tide posted:

loving Swype/autocorrect

Yes that's clearly the problem.

Got a panicked call from work earlier, vacuum leak in a machine, no o-rings (3x1mm). The only place I can get them is a suppliers warehouse in Dudley. Getting them delivered to work will be £100 and they'll get there midday tomorrow.

So I just drove to Dudley and got passed a baggie through the car window outside an industrial estate, planning to go in early and fit them before production starts tomorrow.

Unsurprisingly got stopped by the police :haw:

• Locked thread