Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I just finished watching this on recommendation from my good friend Livingtrope, and wanted to discuss some stuff. Unmarked spoilers, I guess.

I knew very little about the show before watching it, the only things I knew really was that there was this girl who is really good at using computers and the creator then did the weird season of Digimon. The biggest thing I took away from the show was how despite being from 1998, the series didn't feel dated at all. The shows depiction of internet culture and technology felt really modern. Every episode makes sure to remind you that it takes place in the Present Day, and other than all the CRTs, I'd believe it.

The final episode got me pretty good. As the other Lain said, no one will ever hate Lain again, but on the flip side, no one will love her either. It seems like a really painful existence.

What was the deal with the Lain that appeared in the club? Lain worked out that was the only place she could appear, but how could she appear at all? What was she even trying to do?

And what was the PS1 game like? I heard it was being made at the same time as the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Also, I thought the character design was excellent, especially in the little ways they diverged from the anime norms. Visually, the show was excellent altogether, and I was surprised by the very small amount of cheesy CG.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Club Lain was a fake created by Toru on the knight's orders, it's explained when they hang out in Lain's room.

The PS1 game was a different story then the show but had similar themes. The ending is even more depressing if you can believe that. Or at least it seems like it, I've only seen fan-subs of some scenes from it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think my favorite bit of visual design from it was the way that bubble patterns were placed over areas of shadow in the environment, like in your screen there.

I know I must have seen it in other productions but I always associate it with Lain specifically.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

Club Lain was a fake created by Toru on the knight's orders, it's explained when they hang out in Lain's room.

The PS1 game was a different story then the show but had similar themes. The ending is even more depressing if you can believe that. Or at least it seems like it, I've only seen fan-subs of some scenes from it.

Ah, that makes sense.

From what I read, the PS1 game is kind of like a weird visual novel, I.E., very minimal gameplay wise. Is anything of it worth looking up?

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I think my favorite bit of visual design from it was the way that bubble patterns were placed over areas of shadow in the environment, like in your screen there.

I know I must have seen it in other productions but I always associate it with Lain specifically.

The bubbles were really striking the first time they showed up, like there was something very menacing and dark underneath everything. The way they combined this with the blinding whiteness of the backgrounds during daytime sequences was really, really cool.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, visual novel is a good way of describing it. There are a few things on youtube but it sporadic who has what, you have to look for it. And it's nowhere near having the complete thing up lol. someone a very long time ago linked me to this http://ain-and-lain.tumblr.com/ which has a translation of the game in it but it's a whole lot to take in. I think if you just watched it that might be a bit much to go through.

Be prepared for how different looking Game Lain is from show Lain. I would at least watch the Ending video because despite no translation being in the vid it's pretty clear what's going on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Seshoho Cian posted:

The bubbles were really striking the first time they showed up, like there was something very menacing and dark underneath everything. The way they combined this with the blinding whiteness of the backgrounds during daytime sequences was really, really cool.

Psst, did I ever tell ya

that scene in the beginning where Lain walks out of her house and down the street is one of my favorite scenes because of how well it uses the visual and soundwork to set a mood.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Who is Lain?

I remember this series got to me as a kid because it made day time look and sound so loving intimidating, if that makes sense. It blew my mind.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think SEL was one of my third "Serious" animes which I probably had no understanding what happened at the time. Will I understand it better rewatching it or is there a blog somewhere that explains everything?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think SEL was one of my third "Serious" animes which I probably had no understanding what happened at the time. Will I understand it better rewatching it or is there a blog somewhere that explains everything?

Lain is pretty straightforward once you get the premise (online world is leaking into the real one, moderately autistic girl is somehow involved in this), and eerily prescient considering when it was made.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

forbidden lesbian posted:

The PS1 game, the show and the three chapter manga included in the Japanese art book are supposed to be the same story told in three different ways.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I very much did not enjoy Lain, overall. The theme resonated with me pretty well, but the pacing was really bad. I would've been fine with the whole slow, atmospheric, surreal thing they were going for at the start if they hadn't just taken a big steaming poopy all over it by having the third to last or so episode have like fifteen minutes of narrated exposition about What's Actually Going On. There has to have been a better way to handle that.

That one episode where her sister goes nuts was pretty good though

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HMS Boromir posted:

I very much did not enjoy Lain, overall. The theme resonated with me pretty well, but the pacing was really bad. I would've been fine with the whole slow, atmospheric, surreal thing they were going for at the start if they hadn't just taken a big steaming poopy all over it by having the third to last or so episode have like fifteen minutes of narrated exposition about What's Actually Going On. There has to have been a better way to handle that.

You mean the one where they give you an explanation on how the internet came to be because that's the best episode in the series and it has my favorite character

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That sequence also has great music and reminds me of a Neal Stephenson infodump, only shorter.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I will always love Lain, because of
Present Day heh
Present Time HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

I very much did not enjoy Lain, overall.
Mods?!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Let's all be more or less okay with Lain.

Lol @ the idea of some people not 'getting' it even after the show literally tells you what's going on in plain language though. Did everyone who calls it vague and confusing on the internet stop watching before that part?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I watched this a long time ago and I don't really remember it. Well I remember a guy hid his consciousness in the internet protocol after he died and somehow became a god. And then lain killed him somehow. I remember them explaining that guy in detail but I didn't understand what the hell else was going on. Or maybe I did and I forgot? People acted really really weirdly around lain, it was hard to tell if that was actually going on or not.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

HMS Boromir posted:

Lol @ the idea of some people not 'getting' it even after the show literally tells you what's going on in plain language though. Did everyone who calls it vague and confusing on the internet stop watching before that part?

I watched it when I was 12. Show was too weird for me to pay adequate attention.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I watched about half of this before giving up because I had no ide what was going on. How do I correctly watch this?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

yes

Butt Ghost posted:

I watched about half of this before giving up because I had no ide what was going on. How do I correctly watch this?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

So some point after episode 7, it explains everything that's been going on? Is this one of those things you watch twice, since you'll have a clear understanding the second time?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

So some point after episode 7, it explains everything that's been going on? Is this one of those things you watch twice, since you'll have a clear understanding the second time?

Pretty much, but you don't really need to watch it a second time because by the time the mystery is revealed the stuff in the the first half starts to make more sense.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh cool, I might pick it up on blu ray and try again then.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

This show has a shoutout to "motherfucker" marcel proust when lain is worried about being remembered. It's the best literary allusion ive seen in an anime, suck it Oshii

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

This show has a shoutout to "motherfucker" marcel proust when lain is worried about being remembered. It's the best literary allusion ive seen in an anime, suck it Oshii

I liked the Majestic 12 reference

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think I watched this a decade ago so I think I'm due for a rewatch. I remember a bit more of Texhnolyze which was done by the same people (although I probably remember more of the English dub outtakes/joke clip show).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tezhnolyze had a good sound track iirc

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I think the show would have been better without the "aliens did it" explanation halfway through. It would have been better to leave the origins of the network a mystery, possibly hinting at the aliens without spelling it out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

digimon tamers did that too

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Butt Ghost posted:

And you don't seem to understand

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Argue posted:

And you don't seem to understand
A shame you seemed an honest man

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

dpbjinc posted:

I think the show would have been better without the "aliens did it" explanation halfway through. It would have been better to leave the origins of the network a mystery, possibly hinting at the aliens without spelling it out.

I never really interpreted it as aliens created the wired. As a general explanation for the creation of the Internet, I think that it's implying it, and the alien Lain sees is a figment of her imagination. I do think the implied explanation for why the Internet was seeping into real life (the number of people in earth had reached the number of cells in a brain and the Internet linked them) was really cool though

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

There's certainly something alien being created by the wired and most people just think of aliens as the ayy lmao kind

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know a guy that legitimate had that rig going and almost burned his house down because his computer ran too hot.

I liked the point where Lain's setup just has water on the floor that was cool

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lain: actually a show about electrical safety.

Don't stick a wire up your nose, kids.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

the progression of lain's room is my favorite thing in the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dpbjinc posted:

Wasn't it something conceptually like Persona 2 rumors where no one was quite sure of the origin of the network, so then the speculation became aliens, and regardless of the fact of whether it was aliens in the first place or not, the moment it became the common theory in the wired, that reflected back into reality as aliens?

Sort of like how whenever a false rumor perpetuates itself across the internet, it becomes this almost assumed fact even though all the facts say otherwise.

• Locked thread