Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you read The Book Barn you might have seen that the book challenge thread this year is different, instead of just reading a certain number of books it also encourages people to step outside their comfort zone.

So I figure, why not try something like that here?

What are we doing?

I'm keeping it simple, think of this as a trial run. This month, watch an anime that's outside of your comfort zone! Or if that sounds too extreme for you, you can also think of it as: watch an anime that you would normally never give the time of day. And of course it's good to chat about it a bit. Don't just say you're watching it, that would be PYF territory. You don't need to write a book report, that would be dumb and terrible (unless you want to, in which case go hog wild). Just saying a few words on what you think of whatever you're watching can go a long way!

I'm afraid of trying something new, also I don't know where to start!

I am sure the fine posters of ADTRW will be able to help out but in the meantime I'm gonna jot down a bunch of general ideas to get started. Gonna ramble a bit here so bear with me folks:

-Obviously it goes without saying but for starters take a look at a genre you normally wouldn't check out of your own volition.

-Do you mainly watch/read shows about people punching each other or using superpowers or what have you? Try something where conflicts aren't solved with punches. If you wanna make a gentle transition then there are plenty of shounen sports series that are basically the same except instead of charging ki or whatever the protagonist will get ready to hit the ball REALLY HARD.

-If you mainly watch new anime except for the usual classics that everyone has seen, then why not check out something from the past. Lots of good stuff from the 70s/80s and if you ask about a certain era I'm sure you'll get some solid recs.

-Or, if you're the type to stick to old stuff and only watch new shows if they're mecha anime or something, then try something new! There have been a lot of excellent shows lately and the ADTRWiki keeps track of what everyone here loved each year.

-Check out some episodic anime if you tend to steer clear of it. Obviously most of the famous ones have an impossible episode count to tackle in one month but hey, you could always watch a dozen or two episodes to get a feel for them. Detective Conan, Lupin III, and City Hunter are all fine choices for this. Enjoy something that's done in one so you can judge it on its own merits, instead of how it links episodes together.

-Gonna bring up sports anime again because saying you like all anime genres except sports is the anime equivalent of saying you like all music but rap and country, so seriously give sports a shot and watch Chihayafuru and/or Ping-Pong: The Animation if you haven't. The genre is really diverse so it's a shame that it all gets lumped together into one category.

-Likewise yeah you might say you enjoy all genres of anime but surely there are some genres you don't seek out unless someone else recommends it to you? Personally that's how I'm gonna challenge myself.

-If you haven't seen anything directed by Masaaki Yuasa, this is a good time to look at his works and see why there's a subset of folks in ADTRW that rave about him.

-If I can think of anything else I might add it here. Stay tuned.

Anything else?

No need for formalities, let's keep it all casual. Just say what you're gonna watch and then after you've watched some of it, just talk about it in whatever way you please. No restrictions, just watch as little or as much as you want. As long as you feel you're challenging yourself in some way, no matter how small, then go for it!

Just remember to have a good time, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Here it is, the list of what everyone's watching:

Srice: Sally the Witch, Creamy Mami as a possible followup
Allarion: Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sakurazuka: Ping-Pong: The Animation
WickedHate: The Wings of Honnêamise
SyntheticPolygon: Mushishi
Smoking Crow: Bakemonogatari
Snow Halation: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
dogsicle: Toradora
Butt Frosted Cake: Heidi of the Alps
GorfZaplen: Tamayura and Sabagebu!
Kuroyama: Anohana
unpronounceable: Turn A Gundam and Princess Tutu
Senerio: Kids on the Slope
Nondevor: Big O, various Ghibli movies
HiveCommander: Turn A Gundam, Chihayafuru, and Love Live

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If I don't watch shonen usually, what should i watch?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

shonen :P

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

hunter x hunter
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

hunter x hunter
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

read the manga in Jr. High and didn't like it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Battle tendency

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FirstAidKite posted:

Battle tendency

What's it about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

read the manga in Jr. High and didn't like it
read the manga of which one

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

read the manga of which one

both, but i meant HunterXHunter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I'll get around to watching more than one episode of Ping Pong then.

Smoking Crow posted:

One Piece, takes a while to get going though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I really like Rurouni Kenshin but it's tough to start on with the anime since the early episodes are rough with a fair amount of filler, and the last third of the show is entirely filler.

But drat, that middle third is good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Srice posted:

I really like Rurouni Kenshin but it's tough to start on with the anime since the early episodes are rough with a fair amount of filler, and the last third of the show is entirely filler.

just dont watch anything post kyoto arc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

just dont watch anything post kyoto arc

Yeah, and also never watch the 2nd OVA.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Yeah, and also never watch the 2nd OVA.

You know something is bad when the original author comes out and goes 'gently caress no, that's not how I wanted it to end.'

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

I watched every episode of Kenshin in elementary school and it is my favorite shonen show

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I should really finish Gundam Zeta and Kamen Rider Double before I can actually join in on this. Think I'll give Utena a shot though after I'm done with that mostly because I read the manga back in high school, and never thought about giving the anime a shot till a goon mentioned that it was different from the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I watched every episode of Kenshin in elementary school and it is my favorite shonen show

It is one of my favorites, too. Not a whole lot like it since most of the genre tends to go on much longer than it needs to, but Kenshin just ends perfectly.

Even though you didn't like the HxH manga, maybe you could give Yuu Yuu Hakusho a shot if you haven't already? It's a different beast from HxH but I really enjoyed it back in the day.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Srice posted:

It is one of my favorites, too. Not a whole lot like it since most of the genre tends to go on much longer than it needs to, but Kenshin just ends perfectly.

Even though you didn't like the HxH manga, maybe you could give Yuu Yuu Hakusho a shot if you haven't already? It's a different beast from HxH but I really enjoyed it back in the day.

I watched every episode of YYH in elementary school and it is my 2nd favorite shonen show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gintama is good but also long as gently caress. some of the jokes don't land/go on way too long in that japanese way but it's overall pretty funny and the action scenes are actually really cool. no weird shonen powers for the most part, just sword fights.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

gintama is good but also long as gently caress. some of the jokes don't land/go on way too long in that japanese way but it's overall pretty funny and the action scenes are actually really cool. no weird shonen powers for the most part, just sword fights.

I like sword fights, but have never seen Gintama....
hmmmmm...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah Gintama is really good once it gets going, though it's more of a comedy.

It's perfect for the 20-something anime fan that grew up watching shounen fighting shows though.

Shame the early episodes are a bit rough, sorta like how a lot of long-running sitcoms get a lot better after their first season.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'll watch The Wings of Honnêamise. It seems a lot slower and have more of a focus on romance then I tend to go for. Actually, The Garden of Words would be better for that, but I dunno if I'd survive a pure slice of life.

Srice posted:

Ruroni Kenshin should be read, not watched. But then the manga isn't all that great either, honestly.

Allarion posted:

Think I'll give Utena a shot though after I'm done with that mostly because I read the manga back in high school, and never thought about giving the anime a shot till a goon mentioned that it was different from the manga.

Get ready for a lot of walking up stairs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also I think I'm gonna go way beyond what I normally watch. I've only seen a few magical girl shows ever, and in addition to that I'm curious as to what the genre was like before most of them were basically all girl sentai teams. Which I guess means I'll hit up the 80s and see what's what.

Animesols has a few of those up on their site, Creamy Mami being the most famous of them, so I'll probably pick one from there? If anyone has anything to say about that sort of stuff I am all ears.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I'll watch The Wings of Honnêamise. It seems a lot slower and have more of a focus on romance then I tend to go for.

uhhh it doesn't have a focus on romance, unless your idea of romance is really hosed up, then again, you're you so maybe it is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Any recommendations for romance or 80's non-mecha/action?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i couldn't find a non-really crappy amv version of the fight but the beam sword arc has some ownage fights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpG3HikNoY&t=99s

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Adding in on shonen recommendations, there's always Gash Bell which was a weird but surprisingly good manga/anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Also I think I'm gonna go way beyond what I normally watch. I've only seen a few magical girl shows ever, and in addition to that I'm curious as to what the genre was like before most of them were basically all girl sentai teams. Which I guess means I'll hit up the 80s and see what's what.

Animesols has a few of those up on their site, Creamy Mami being the most famous of them, so I'll probably pick one from there? If anyone has anything to say about that sort of stuff I am all ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXTatBS6a8

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

What's it about

An american from england by the name of joseph joestar has to rescue his uncle speedwagon from nazis in mexico who are using speedwagon to try and awaken the ancient double vampire known as santana, that's like the first 3 eps, the rest are joseph getting roped into progressively crazier and crazier poo poo. It's basically a rad sugar rush starring anime bugs bunny and a bunch of double vampires.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

Romance: can't go wrong with Lovely Complex. Also Toradora is pretty dece if you can stand tsundere stereotypes.

80's none mecha action: Crusher Joe, Dirty Pair, same as I always recommend. I guess they technically have some mecha in but it's mostly all spaceships and stuff. Also Space Adventure Cobra.

Edit: Oops, you want no mecha or action, hmmmm Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku, that's also a good rec for romance.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 2, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really like the Gintama two-part episode about the Wii, episodes 98 and 99, to the point where I suggest someone check them out if they wanna see how good the humor can get in the show. At the very least folks should take a look at those two episodes, you don't need to know anything about the show to enjoy 'em.

dogsicle posted:

I remember liking Lovely Complex back when it aired. Not sure how it holds up since it has been awhile but I still see it mentioned from time to time so it's obviously something people still enjoy.

Hell, why not. It's not completely subbed but I'll do it. I'll see how much of the 60s magical girl anime I can watch over the course of this month.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

Oh, Creamy Mami is good! I've only seen the first few episodes, though.

Davincie posted:

uhhh it doesn't have a focus on romance, unless your idea of romance is really hosed up, then again, you're you so maybe it is

Huh, I guess the summery I read was misleading.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also, I'm only on the early episodes of Gintama at the moment and currently having my mind blown that it might eventually have awesome sword fights and something approaching decent animation.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FirstAidKite posted:

An american from england by the name of joseph joestar has to rescue his uncle speedwagon from nazis in mexico who are using speedwagon to try and awaken the ancient double vampire known as santana, that's like the first 3 eps, the rest are joseph getting roped into progressively crazier and crazier poo poo. It's basically a rad sugar rush starring anime bugs bunny and a bunch of double vampires.

oh you meant jojo

i don't give a care about baby tier normie poo poo op

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

Maison Ikkoku for romance and space adventure cobra for sci-fi action. Unless you wanted something more recent for romance, in which case LoveCom.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

dogsicle posted:

Captain Tsubasa

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Also, I'm only on the early episodes of Gintama at the moment and currently having my mind blown that it might eventually have awesome sword fights and something approaching decent animation.

It doesn't for a long time sadly, hell even in 2010 they still aired it in 4:3 since it'd cost money to redraw those backgrounds. Not to say they don't have cool fights every now and then but in the first series they really had a shoestring budget.

After they took a break it was a world of difference in the new season, it was a huge leap in quality.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I have never watched a Magical Girls show, outside of a single episode of Cardcaptors that I saw on TV once when I was younger, hit me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Seshoho Cian posted:

I have never watched a Magical Girls show, outside of a single episode of Cardcaptors that I saw on TV once when I was younger, hit me

card captor Sakura, OG sailor moon, creamy mami, Sally the Witch, Madoka, HEartcatch precure

• Locked thread