Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Seshoho Cian posted:

I have never watched a Magical Girls show, outside of a single episode of Cardcaptors that I saw on TV once when I was younger, hit me

Try Nanoha, Madoka, or Wedding Peach. Nanoha kind of turns into military sci fi after awhile. Madoka is all dark with a bunch of twists. Wedding Peach is classic and more Sailor Moon-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

I have never watched a Magical Girls show, outside of a single episode of Cardcaptors that I saw on TV once when I was younger, hit me
does utena count

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

does utena count

it's a magical boy show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

Try Nanoha, Madoka, or Wedding Peach. Nanoha kind of turns into military sci fi after awhile. Madoka is all dark with a bunch of twists. Wedding Peach is classic and more Sailor Moon-like.

You might as well just watch Sailor Moon rather than Wedding Peach since the latter is just a worse version of the former.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Srice posted:

It doesn't for a long time sadly, hell even in 2010 they still aired it in 4:3 since it'd cost money to redraw those backgrounds. Not to say they don't have cool fights every now and then but in the first series they really had a shoestring budget.

After they took a break it was a world of difference in the new season, it was a huge leap in quality.

Say one thing about Gintama, their recap/budget episodes are pretty entertaining and usually worth watching instead of being skipped over unlike most other anime.

I'm tempted to recommend Kdrama and Jdramas for romance since that's bound to be outside of a lot of people's confort zones. There's some precedent since there's a bunch of Kdrama based off manga anyways. I've only seen about 6 or 7 shows though so I'm not the best person ask on that. Both GTO dramas are solid though and I'd recommend them over the anime.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

You might as well just watch Sailor Moon rather than Wedding Peach since the latter is just a worse version of the former.

It has a lot less to go through, though. That's why I watched it instead, anyway. Then I stopped after an episode that was really gross about girls and weight issues, but I figure other people here might not care about that as much.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Thinking about my watching habits, the two genres I generally/actively avoid are Mecha (seen virtually nothing), and Magical Girl (Madoka and a bit of Shugo Chara).

Going by past simulwatchathons, I was thinking of trying Turn A Gundam, and Princess Tutu. Any better suggestions for mecha? Should I watch some of the aforementioned magical girl shows instead of Tutu?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

unpronounceable posted:

Any better suggestions for mecha?

Turn A is really, really good, but second to G Gundam, though G is more hot blooded super robot stuff then "War (huh, yeah) What is it good for?". You're making a good choice there. NGE is probably one of the best outside of Gundam.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WickedHate posted:

Turn A is really, really good, but second to G Gundam, though G is more hot blooded super robot stuff then "War (huh, yeah) What is it good for?". You're making a good choice there. NGE is probably one of the best outside of Gundam.

watch patlabor and the big o

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Thinking about my watching habits, the two genres I generally/actively avoid are Mecha (seen virtually nothing), and Magical Girl (Madoka and a bit of Shugo Chara).

Going by past simulwatchathons, I was thinking of trying Turn A Gundam, and Princess Tutu. Any better suggestions for mecha? Should I watch some of the aforementioned magical girl shows instead of Tutu?

As far as long tv series Turn A Gundam is really good, and you don't have to know anything about prior Gundam shows to enjoy it.

Personally though, one of the mecha recommendations I love to toss out is Macross Plus. It's short (Only 4 episodes!), has stellar animation, and tells a great story that doesn't hinge upon any knowledge of any prior Macross shows, so it's very accessible. And if you watch dubs, it's amusing to see an anime with a lead voiced by Bryan Cranston (who does a fine job).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

oh appleseed is also good

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

guess it's time to find out what all these ecchi shows are about.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Allarion posted:

Say one thing about Gintama, their recap/budget episodes are pretty entertaining and usually worth watching instead of being skipped over unlike most other anime.

I'm tempted to recommend Kdrama and Jdramas for romance since that's bound to be outside of a lot of people's confort zones. There's some precedent since there's a bunch of Kdrama based off manga anyways. I've only seen about 6 or 7 shows though so I'm not the best person ask on that. Both GTO dramas are solid though and I'd recommend them over the anime.

if dramas qualify, a few that might be up peoples alleys are no dropping out -back to high school at 35- since it features a setting im sure everyone here is familiar with and is fully on crunchyroll:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/no-dropping-out-back-to-school-at-35-

and densha otoko, which isn't on crunchyroll but its about otaku and there are a lot of anime jokes. if you like manga like onani master kurosawa or molestor man (great names!) then you will like this. don't watch the specials though because they suck. it has a cool op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJHRtklMRwc

here i even found it on youtube while looking up the op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5aTWk3_SQ

broaden your horizons everybody. also first one isn't a drama, but more of a great teacher onizuka thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

if you dislike usual mecha then Turn-A will be right up your alley. Ignore the doofus suggesting G Gundam, that series is pure undiluted generic mecha. I love it for it, but if you hate giant robots punching each other than that show will be poison to you. Escaflowne might also appeal to you, since it's basically an action-y shoujo where the action just happens to be mechs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait ive got it: magic knight rayearth, an anime that is both mecha and magical girl and also pretty good

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

if you dislike usual mecha then Turn-A will be right up your alley. Ignore the doofus suggesting G Gundam, that series is pure undiluted generic mecha.

I pointed that out, and agreed Turn-A was probably the better choice in this case.

Smoking Crow posted:

watch patlabor and the big o

I've seen Big O. Wonderful animation and atmosphere, but I don't really remember the plot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't normally read Shojo or Horror manga because I both hate shojo art styles and am a little bitch. What should I be trying out?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how character focused are these mecha shows. what i want basically is another evangelion where the robots barely play a role and its all about the people, cause robots bore me but i like the politics and drama that seems to be linked with mech shows. alternately, a realistic war/politics show would be cool to (no logh i already know it)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't normally read Shojo or Horror manga because I both hate shojo art styles and am a little bitch. What should I be trying out?

Something by Kaori Yuki, perhaps? She does popular horror shojo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

oh you meant jojo

i don't give a care about baby tier normie poo poo op

It sounds like jojo's out of your comfort zone. you should try it then

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

this is a shoujo horror, idk if its good but it won awards!
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/screaming-lesson-r846

this is a shoujo i have read in which the main girl is a zombie, its cute
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shikabane-cherry-r7133

here is every junji ito ever translated (some of the links go to very nsfw sites), he's the best horror writer
http://www.slug-chicks.com/p/releases.html

these are some of my favourite non horror shoujo, all 3 are done
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Junjou-Drop girl meets deliquent, its short and really good
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Otomen girl meets extremely handsome and cute guy, but he has a dark secret: he really, really loves girly things. its basically a role reversal of shoujo cliches
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Koukou-Debut sportive girl meets guy

Davincie fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 2, 2015

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I mainly watch comedies, sports, and shoujo anime, so I was thinking of changing it up with something like mecha or a more action-packed type of show. The only mecha anime I've watched is Gundam Build Fighters, although that probably doesn't count. :v: Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that has a nice blend of humor and a more serious plot.

An alternative goal for me this month is to watch more unfamiliar Ghibli movies like Porco Rosso. Or Grave of the Fireflies, since I still haven't seen that yet...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
so should everyone be watching cross ange or what

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Fuan no Tane and Fuan no Tane+ are good horror.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Srice posted:

Yeah, and also never watch the 2nd OVA.

I tried to suppress that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

how character focused are these mecha shows. what i want basically is another evangelion where the robots barely play a role and its all about the people, cause robots bore me but i like the politics and drama that seems to be linked with mech shows. alternately, a realistic war/politics show would be cool to (no logh i already know it)
turn-a gundam is exactly what you want

like, literally exactly

the protagonist uses his gundam to transport cows for gently caress's sake

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nondevor posted:

I mainly watch comedies, sports, and shoujo anime, so I was thinking of changing it up with something like mecha or a more action-packed type of show. The only mecha anime I've watched is Gundam Build Fighters, although that probably doesn't count. :v: Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that has a nice blend of humor and a more serious plot.

An alternative goal for me this month is to watch more unfamiliar Ghibli movies like Porco Rosso. Or Grave of the Fireflies, since I still haven't seen that yet...

Macross Frontier is a mecha anime that mixes humor and serious stuff pretty well. Check out the tv series and if you like that, watch the 2 movies afterwards since they're a fairly different take on the story, and in many ways an improvement on the show. You don't need to have seen any other Macross shows, they'll fill you in on what's important about the setting.

Also yeah going for Ghibli movies you haven't seen is also a good goal.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I tried to suppress that.

It's hosed up that we will never get a proper adaption of that final arc, and instead we get another OVA about the arc that the anime loving nailed already.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not gonna edit that post 'cause you might miss it lol

turn-a isn't super in-depth like logh is but there's a lot of focus put on establishing communication, brokering for peace with a society with drastically different values from yours, etc. there are long stretches in the early episodes without much, if any, real action.

the second half gets fairly action-heavy but the characters have been established well enough that it's easy to care even if you don't like the mecha themselves.

also porco rosso is the best ghibli movie and also hilarious

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
But I watch every single anime, are you telling me I should be watching no anime? What are you some kind of baka gaijin?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beaner69 posted:

But I watch every single anime, are you telling me I should be watching no anime? What are you some kind of baka gaijin?
watch americanime

like avatar

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

i can't help with horror, but tonari no kaibutsu-kun is probably my favorite shoujo series. and i dunno if monthly girls' nozaki-kun counts but if you're not reading it you should be reading it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Princess Tutu is a really good magic girl show and its definitely a good start for someone thats never seen one. Its relatively short, has a compact two part structure with each one having a big climax near its end, very hopeful despite how dark it gets at times, great classical music that fits the scenes, very little violence (most of the fights are ballet routines), and pretty good voice acting in either its sub or dubbed versions.

Bad things about princess tutu is that it gives you hope other magic girl series are like this and not year long commercials to sell toys to little girls.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

Watch Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still. It's only seven episodes long and is really good

Davincie posted:

I'd suggest Fang of the Sun Dougram, although that might be a little long if you're doing it for the thread. The titular mech doesn't even show up for the first 7 episodes, and there's lots of political dealing going on.

I have never watched any moe shows or shows about teenage girls doing things, and generally have no interest. I watch pretty much anything else, from arty anime to mecha to shonen fightman anime. What's a shorter (12-13 episodes or less) and enjoyable show of this kind?

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I have never watched any moe shows or shows about teenage girls doing things, and generally have no interest. I watch pretty much anything else, from arty anime to mecha to shonen fightman anime. What's a shorter (12-13 episodes or less) and enjoyable show of this kind?

If you don't mind a slightly longer series, I'd recommend Azumanga Daioh. For something short, try the Tamayura OVA series (and the follow-up TV series if you like it.)

The only genres I don't watch are shonen sports anime (yes, I've seen Chihayafuru) and super manly stuff. Any recommendations on what I should watch?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eyeshield 21
Rookies
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Toriko
s-Cry-ed

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

Sabagebu is the only one I can think of at the moment that comes to mind that's fairly short. Maybe Tamako Market, but I didn't finish that. All the usual recommendations are 26 or more episodes for teenage girls doing things.

EDIT: Angel Beats for something similar to Kanon or Clannad in tone and theme, which I guess also falls under moe technically, before K-On made it a thing.

Snow Halation posted:

If you don't mind a slightly longer series, I'd recommend Azumanga Daioh. For something short, try the Tamayura OVA series (and the follow-up TV series if you like it.)

The only genres I don't watch are shonen sports anime (yes, I've seen Chihayafuru) and super manly stuff. Any recommendations on what I should watch?

Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo, and Eyeshield 21 are what I can think of off the top of my head. Also Jojo if you haven't already.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 2, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I don't watch much mecha, shoujo or magical girl, and I don't even watch sports and idol anime at all.
Bring on the recommendations!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

I don't watch much mecha, shoujo or magical girl, and I don't even watch sports and idol anime at all.
Bring on the recommendations!

Turn A Gundam, Chihayafuru.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can alternate an episode of each cause they're almost the same length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Beef Waifu posted:

http://openawesome.com/junjiito.html

• Locked thread