Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

I don't watch much mecha, shoujo or magical girl, and I don't even watch sports and idol anime at all.
Bring on the recommendations!

For mecha, the thread has already made cases for Macross Plus and Turn A Gundam. I'd also recommend Patlabor for a real-world take on giant robots with a good amount of humor and politics. Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still is also good if you're looking more for a beautiful and fun martial arts movie/tragic play that incidentally has giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Snow Halation posted:

The only genres I don't watch are shonen sports anime (yes, I've seen Chihayafuru) and super manly stuff. Any recommendations on what I should watch?

Haikyuu!! and Big Windup.

For people looking at romance, I'd recommend Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Looks like Chihayafuru and Turn A it is!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What are the good non-shonen stuff on Crunchyroll, because that's generally all I watch since I like loud yelling and hot-blood.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What are the good non-shonen stuff on Crunchyroll, because that's generally all I watch since I like loud yelling and hot-blood.

The Eccentric Family, Kyousougiga, Mushi-shi, The Rose of Versailles

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Chihayafuru, Kyousougiga, Mushishi, Shirobako, Nozaki-kun, Anohana, Servant x Service, and Eccentric Family are good.

^^EDIT: Man, I'm suddenly contemplating a double challenge watch of both Utena and Rose of Versaille, which I also never really gave a chance other than watching one episode for a class. The genre I probably avoid the most is yuri/yaoi since I'm not in that demographic. Might add in Glass Mask as a bonus.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 2, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ok, I've heard of Mushishi so i think i'll start with that. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ok, I've heard of Mushishi so i think i'll start with that. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

The first season's on Hulu if you want to start there. There's no ongoing plot other than recurring characters so you can start anywhere though.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

dogsicle posted:

Any recommendations for romance or 80's non-mecha/action?

The Area 88 OVAs are absolutely gorgeous hand-drawn fighter plane action.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gently caress it, I'm just gonna watch Bakemono

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I think I'm gonna go with JoJo's.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll update the OP tonight to reflect who has picked what so far so if everyone could bold what they picked to make it easier for me to find what they're watching that would be cool.

I'm going with Sally The Witch and since there's only about 12 episodes of it subbed, I might start on Creamy Mami afterwards.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

I don't watch much mecha, shoujo or magical girl, and I don't even watch sports and idol anime at all.
Bring on the recommendations!
love live is a pretty good idol anime. the cast is pretty likable and distinct, unlike a lot of idol anime where some of them fade into the background. and the fanservice basically amounts to 'nozomi has cleavage'

SyntheticPolygon posted:

toradora, nozaki-kun, anohana

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
As an adult I've rarely watched anime and when I was a kid I only watched anime when it was on Toonami. Any recommendations?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

As an adult I've rarely watched anime and when I was a kid I only watched anime when it was on Toonami. Any recommendations?
What anime have you watched as an adult and liked? Give us a starting point here.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

love live is a pretty good idol anime. the cast is pretty likable and distinct, unlike a lot of idol anime where some of them fade into the background. and the fanservice basically amounts to 'nozomi has cleavage'

While love live is great don't forget that nozomi also gropes her fellow raburaibus (about twice), that was a bit weird explaining it to my 6yo daughter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

beaner69 posted:

While love live is great don't forget that nozomi also gropes her fellow raburaibus (about twice), that was a bit weird explaining it to my 6yo daughter.
i actually did forget that

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

What anime have you watched as an adult and liked? Give us a starting point here.

Neon Genesis and Kill la Kill were OK. Cowboy Bebop was really good.

I guess my comfort zone is anything that's really action oriented since that's what I grew up with.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 2, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Recommend me a shoujo anime that is not all about romance or Sailor Moon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

escaflowne?

i mean romance is a big part of it but romance is a big part of like every anime ever made.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maison Ikkoku would be my first pick, but Toradora is more manageable and I've had an unfounded aversion to it since it aired. So I guess I'll see what I manage to get through.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragonatrix posted:

X TV series, it's shoujo about poo poo loads of blood and people killing each other. Though I think the series toned the blood down a bit.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

why is everyone afraid of watching love stories? watch teh love stories if you want.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

why is everyone afraid of watching love stories? watch teh love stories if you want.

girls are scary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i aint into no chick flicks man

*cries at the end of gurren lagann*

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Since slice of life is generally considered to be a movement that started in anime in earl 2000s im going to watch one from 1974 to discover its roots. Heidi of the Alps directed by Takahata who went on to be a main part of the Ghibli crew. I'm also challenging myself to find room on my hd for the 50 gbs.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Also after making that post I realized Andes Chucky from Shirobako is probably a reference to Heidi of the Alps

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Since slice of life is generally considered to be a movement that started in anime in earl 2000s im going to watch one from 1974 to discover its roots. Heidi of the Alps directed by Takahata who went on to be a main part of the Ghibli crew. I'm also challenging myself to find room on my hd for the 50 gbs.

My wife was really fond of Heidi of the Alps, Candy Candy and 3000 Leagues to Mother. They got some really cool family/girl oriented stuff in South America apparently. Maybe I should watch one of those with her in espanol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqrQnLyEB0

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

I'll update the OP tonight to reflect who has picked what so far so if everyone could bold what they picked to make it easier for me to find what they're watching that would be cool.

I'm going with Sally The Witch and since there's only about 12 episodes of it subbed, I might start on Creamy Mami afterwards.

I'm watching Tamayura and Sabagebu!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph posted:

escaflowne?

I actually watched most of Escaflowne ages ago, completely unaware that it was shoujo. Huh.

Sakurazuka posted:

X TV series, it's shoujo about poo poo loads of blood and people killing each other. Though I think the series toned the blood down a bit.

...But I'm thinking I'll go with this just for the added bonus of All The Gore which is something I'd normally pass on completely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I may have over stated the goriness of the TV version since it's been years since I saw it and may be mixing some bits up with the movie. I won't suggest watching that because lol it's incomprehensible unless you already know the story and characters and if you do you'll hate everything it did with them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'll ask my sister for a show that's definitely outside my wheelhouse. She'll figure out something good, I'm sure. I'll get back to y'all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ill watch turn a gundam in the future cause 50 episodes is less than 75

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have been recommended Utena and Love Stage by my sister, and my anime sense is telling me Love Stage is the worse choice.

So Love Stage it is, I guess.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I have been recommended Utena and Love Stage by my sister, and my anime sense is telling me Love Stage is the worse choice.

So Love Stage it is, I guess.

is your sister single?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is your sister single?

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GorfZaplen posted:

theres so many shows like tamayura that are just way better

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

is your sister single?

Nope. I'll keep you in the loop though, Dick. You seem like a good dude.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I guess my comfort zone is anything that's really action oriented since that's what I grew up with.
If you're looking to try awesome things that aren't action oriented, Time of Eve, Mushishi, and Mononoke are all excellent. Kino's Journey has occasional action scenes, but is mostly observation of new lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm guessing that when you asked about girls doing stuff you meant like k-on type of stuff? Sabagebu ain't that, it's more girls being crazy than a motherfucker. Which is great and you should watch anyway.

• Locked thread