Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Endorph posted:

chi
haya
furu

What he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What does 'Chihayafuru' even mean? Best I can tell it's some Engrish abomination trying to say "Chihaya Full"?

dogsicle posted:

So I finished episodes 4-6 of Toradora, which just kinda meandered. Taiga blew a chance with Yusaku previously in a totally expected way, then things took a detour to introduce Ami and go through an arc to make her sympathetic. I kinda question the necessity of a third love interest for Ryuuji, but whatever. They each have some quality to like I suppose, even if I'm not ready to welcome Ami yet. Also came across a Yatterman reference in the sub, which makes me worry about missing other stuff by watching the dub.
Minori is still the show's biggest highlight though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMsrAP3RHo

Ami is the best character in the show and balances out the awfulness that is Taiga to make the show watchable in the first place

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 8, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

icantfindaname posted:

What does 'Chihayafuru' even mean? Best I can tell it's some Engrish abomination trying to say "Chihaya Full"?

It's the first few vowels of Chihaya's favorite card's poem. I forget the exact translation of the whole poem.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Oh. Well, that's better, and now I feel like an rear end in a top hat

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

icantfindaname posted:

Oh. Well, that's better, and now I feel like an rear end in a top hat

Well to be fair, you're also right.

It's just named for the poem thing.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Senerio posted:

It's the first few vowels of Chihaya's favorite card's poem. I forget the exact translation of the whole poem.

Yes. It's by Ariwara no Narihira, and goes:

Chihayaburu/Kamiyo mo kikazu/Tatsuta-gawa/Kara-kurenai ni/Mizu kukuru towa
Impassionate gods have never seen the red that is the Tatsuta River.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

chi
haya
furu
I'm about a quarter of the way through it now. I'm enjoying it so far, probably because it doesn't seem that sporty of an anime.
Kana spin-off called chichihayafuru when?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Well that's three for Chihayafuru so Chihayafuru it is.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24GoHwX5uQg

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think I've watched a single sports anime unless you count Ping Pong or gambling stuff like Kaiji and Akagi.

Hit me. Preferably something less than a million episodes.

Akagi, Giant Killing, Major, Whistle!

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Cross Game episode 2

Continuing on! The characters are overall likeable (except for Keiichirou - he's annoying), and I think the series is nicely directed. So far I quite like the series, and I'm not disliking the baseball elements of it yet. I'm not at all sold on the romance, though. IF YOU GET ALONG BADLY BUT DO THE SAME ARM-STRENGTHENING EXERCISES FOR YEARS, ROMANCE IS NIGH! ...Is what I think the series is trying to say. Aoba dislikes Kou so much that I"m not sure how exactly the inevitable romance is going to bloom. Is she really going to get hearts in her eyes if he can bowl a whatsit fast ball? I hope they go the rivalry and grudging respect route.

I've got to laugh at Kou being so sore a loser that he's done arm exercises for years to get his arms in shape for a sport he isn't even interested in. (Well, okay, maybe it was Wakaba being a sore loser on Kou's behalf that got him to do it.) I suppose that's just how it's got to be in some types of sports series, when the main character has to have trained in something that makes them good at a particular sport without having seriously played the sport.

Speaking of Aoba, is it normal for people to look angry when they're pitching baseballs?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

I'm about a quarter of the way through it now. I'm enjoying it so far, probably because it doesn't seem that sporty of an anime.
Kana spin-off called chichihayafuru when?

A lot of the writing perfectly fits the conventional sports anime mold, though in Chihayafuru's case it is executed really well.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

A lot of the writing perfectly fits the conventional sports anime mold, though in Chihayafuru's case it is executed really well.
It helps that it's not basketball, tennis etc. Being a goon I have no real desire to play those kinds of sports, let alone watch stuff about them.
It's not the typical tropes of sport anime that bore me; it's the subject matter itself. Mecha is an example of a genre where I don't like the typical formula, but glorious/fabulous trainwrecks like Aldnoah and Geass are fine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Most of the sports anime I enjoy I wind up enjoying because of the strength of the characters involved and not the sport itself. I don't think I could ever bring myself to care about watching competitive ping pong but dang an anime about it was one of the best things I've seen in years because it was carried by a strong, well written cast..

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
No one said Haikyu yet? Watch Haikyu. Best sports anime of 2014, mostly because I don't really think of Ping Pong as a typical sports anime, more like a drama that featured a sport. A really good drama.

Also, Chihayafuru, because that cannot be said enough.

So a bunch of you gave me Captain Taylor, and another bunch gave me Outlaw Star. Between those two, what should I watch first?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

No one said Haikyu yet? Watch Haikyu. Best sports anime of 2014, mostly because I don't really think of Ping Pong as a typical sports anime, more like a drama that featured a sport. A really good drama.

Also, Chihayafuru, because that cannot be said enough.

So a bunch of you gave me Captain Taylor, and another bunch gave me Outlaw Star. Between those two, what should I watch first?

It's a weird way to describe things because you can have one baseball anime where the guy's into the sport from the start and then there can be another anime where the main character takes like 30 episodes before he starts playing baseball in any capacity and yet they're both given the exact same label. I think that just shows the weakness of lumping everything with sports in it as a "sports anime". I like to call stuff like Haikyuu a shonen-y sports anime since it's one way of differentiating.it from other such things.

Also I'd say Captain Tylor before Outlaw Star, personally.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 8, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

outlaw star is a lot of things but 'low key' isn't one of them. there's an episode where they fight a psychic cactus.

I meant it in the sense that it's not like, an epic space opera.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

It's a weird way to describe things because you can have one baseball anime where the guy's into the sport from the start and then there can be another anime where the main character takes like 30 episodes before he starts playing baseball in any capacity and yet they're both given the exact same label. I think that just shows the weakness of lumping everything with sports in it as a "sports anime". I like to call stuff like Haikyuu a shonen-y sports anime since it's one way of differentiating.it from other such things.

Also I'd say Captain Tylor before Outlaw Star, personally.

I have the same issue with sci-fi. I really wish there was a disctinction between "science fiction" wherein the science is meant to be plausible and/or based on current science and technology, and what I like to call "science fantasy" where you have bizarre, fantastical ideas in a futuristic setting. So GitS would be closer to "science fiction" while LoGH or other space operas would fall under "science fantasy". Without that distinction, we run into the issue of figuring out whether the science being unrealistic is a good or bad thing, like in the case of Interstellar.

Also, I guess I'm watching Captain Taylor then.

e: Oh my god, the Captain Tylor op is the cheesiest thing.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 8, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Senerio posted:

It's a double pun, so it's both the first part of Chihaya's favorite poem and 'chihayafull.' It's kinda clever.

Also, Chihayafuru is a sports anime. The characters treat it like a sport, it hits all the sports anime tropes, etc. Just because they aren't running and there isn't a ball involved doesn't change that. I'd put it on the same level as Golf, and that's totally a sport.

Does a golf anime even exist, actually?

ViggyNash posted:

e: Oh my god, the Captain Tylor op is the cheesiest thing.
And there's an english version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxnTjyEh9f8

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 8, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph posted:

Does a golf anime even exist, actually?

Far as I can tell, there is exactly one.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Golf_anime_and_manga
this gives us 3, counting manga

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
So, I'm changing gears from Turn A for a bit, and watched the first 3 eps of Princess Tutu. It's very girly, and definitely not my usual cup of tea, but not bad. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it sorta reminds me of Kaleido Star, which I liked. I'll probably continue with it, especially since I've heard good things about the end, but I hope the lost emotion of the week doesn't get too tiresome.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

So, I'm changing gears from Turn A for a bit, and watched the first 3 eps of Princess Tutu. It's very girly, and definitely not my usual cup of tea, but not bad. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it sorta reminds me of Kaleido Star, which I liked. I'll probably continue with it, especially since I've heard good things about the end, but I hope the lost emotion of the week doesn't get too tiresome.

It probably reminds you of Kaleido Star since both shows share the same director.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Normally I can't stand horror because it scares me too much, but Mononoke is fantastic. I think it's more palatable for me because the series focuses more on psychological horror instead of gore everywhere, which is a nice change. I'm currently on episode 4 right now; after Kayo was introduced in episode 3, I went and watched Ayakashi to catch up on the previous story.

The family in Bakeneko were terrible people. :catstare: I think the animation was better in Ayakashi's version (especially when it showed the Bakeneko's movement), but it's difficult to compare when there hasn't even been a fight scene in Mononoke yet.

e: oh my god is that Wakamoto as a gigantic fishman

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 9, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Five episodes into K-on! and it's pretty funny + cute. The teacher is the best character.

I'd like it better if the girls kissed though.

Me too Mugi, me too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Quick thoughts on Ep 3 and 4 of Utena:

- Utena just pulled a tablecloth and turned it into a dress. Her exclamations of a being a totally normal girl are becoming increasingly false.
- Despite her setup as the bully, I like Nanami so far. Her earnest operations to reveal Anthy as a weird girl were all hilarious when they all backfired because Anthy is indeed a weird girl who keeps a giant octopus balloon in her closet. Also she worked all night to catch that garter snake, and I can't help but feel bad for her.
- The shadows gossiping was already pretty neat thematically, but them going off on slightly related tangents was pretty great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have watched more Sally the Witch. It's hard to say a whole lot about individual episodes, but in episode 2 Sally uses magic to turn a written contract into an embarrassing love letter.

Witches are scary...

Allarion posted:

Quick thoughts on Ep 3 and 4 of Utena:

- Utena just pulled a tablecloth and turned it into a dress. Her exclamations of a being a totally normal girl are becoming increasingly false.
- Despite her setup as the bully, I like Nanami so far. Her earnest operations to reveal Anthy as a weird girl were all hilarious when they all backfired because Anthy is indeed a weird girl who keeps a giant octopus balloon in her closet. Also she worked all night to catch that garter snake, and I can't help but feel bad for her.
- The shadows gossiping was already pretty neat thematically, but them going off on slightly related tangents was pretty great.

Nanami's one of the best characters and all of the episodes that center around her are a delight to watch.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Five episodes into K-on! and it's pretty funny + cute. The teacher is the best character.

I'd like it better if the girls kissed though.

Me too Mugi, me too.

:yikes:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Mio fell over and everyone saw her pantsu

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Mio fell over and everyone saw her pantsu

you're creepy dude.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:shrug: It's literally a thing that happened that we're supposed to find hilarious.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

:shrug: It's literally a thing that happened that we're supposed to find hilarious.

you keep posting a bunch about how hot you think highschoolers are, gross...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's okay, I like Kana for her personality too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm watching you...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am going to watch Chihayafuru. I watch sports anime already, but usually it's manly punching sports or some variety of ball and not some weird language card game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey adtrw, let's chihayafuru ourselves this month

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

do not sexualize k-on

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I watched some heidi I like it so far. It's got an Oliver Twist precocious orphan in old timey europe. I looked up the original author and it's some swiss chick who wrote about domestic abuse before moving on the children's literature. My favorite moment has been the break dancing with a herd of goats.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
So I've never watched anything patlabor before, guess i'll start that tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Going to continue my tank watching tonight, so far it is a fun ride. My initial reservations is that things would suddenly feel creepy like Strike Witches or Kancolle but so far it's just girls driving in tanks. Some of them I'm like "what the gently caress are you wearing?" and then the one crew made their tank all pink. I'm not against making war machines pink as that was like the only good thing I remember in Gundam Seed Destiny. But yea, gonna watch a tank battle with the rich girl school :toot:

• Locked thread