Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Any recommendations for romance or 80's non-mecha/action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

I don't watch much mecha, shoujo or magical girl, and I don't even watch sports and idol anime at all.
Bring on the recommendations!

For mecha, the thread has already made cases for Macross Plus and Turn A Gundam. I'd also recommend Patlabor for a real-world take on giant robots with a good amount of humor and politics. Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still is also good if you're looking more for a beautiful and fun martial arts movie/tragic play that incidentally has giant robots.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maison Ikkoku would be my first pick, but Toradora is more manageable and I've had an unfounded aversion to it since it aired. So I guess I'll see what I manage to get through.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I've been putting off posting but 3 episodes is probably the farthest I can go and still call this a first impression. I didn't really know much about Toradora before starting, just lumped it under "typical romance I never need to watch." It played up the comedy aspects more than I expected, which made getting into it much easier. Ryuuji being such a domestic is probably my favorite thing behind Midori's mpdg antics (especially the rooftop scene in ep2). Decided to watch the dub and I feel like that adds another level of enjoyment because the two leads and Minori are all done so well.

It seemed weird for episode 3 to focus so much on Ryuuji's crush on Minori when she's not endgame, but I guess I don't mind. As obvious as Ryuuji/Taiga is, they're so fun to watch that I wouldn't mind if it takes the most of the series before they acknowledge it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Diebuster is great and the ending made me cry.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So I finished episodes 4-6 of Toradora, which just kinda meandered. Taiga blew a chance with Yusaku previously in a totally expected way, then things took a detour to introduce Ami and go through an arc to make her sympathetic. I kinda question the necessity of a third love interest for Ryuuji, but whatever. They each have some quality to like I suppose, even if I'm not ready to welcome Ami yet. Also came across a Yatterman reference in the sub, which makes me worry about missing other stuff by watching the dub.
Minori is still the show's biggest highlight though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMsrAP3RHo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zvezda, because I don't know much about Saki and that other thing sounds terrible. Judging by adtrw's reaction, your enjoyment of Zvezda mostly will hinge on whether you can tolerate an otherwise weird/dumb and fun show having two girls that wear skimpy swimsuits (one as a transformation, the other 24/7 with a labcoat).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm somewhere around episode 12/13 of Toradora now. The fact that I'm not even sure is probably a good indicator of how I feel about it. The show has started to feel less skewed towards comedy and is harder to watch as a result. The plot and pairings are definitely moving forward subtly, the beach episodes were especially good for this, but getting the motivation to put on an episode or more (and make it through the whole thing) is what's tough. Not much else has changed, dub is still good and the characters are all solid/likable, even Ami at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's kinda funny that I burned out on Toradora when I did, since it was the exact point the show started picking up again. Pretty much everything from Christmas onward was both engaging and painful to watch. Even though the last few episodes threw a ton of fake outs, I'm glad the ultimate ending was happy (especially for Minori and Ami). This challenge was fun and I'm glad i didn't give up on the show. Not expecting my viewing habits will change drastically, but with Kimiuso finishing sometime soon I at least have another romance in my sights (plus the recommendations from this thread).

• Locked thread