Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
loving finally! I've been asking about this for years now. Day 1 sale for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I'd totally consider playing this again if the new Unlimited version lets a private server modify it enough to fix the terrible skill grind and artificial cap on skill level that required paying for a subscription.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Rolf is answering questions about the details for Wurm Unlimited in this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130568-frequently-asked-questions-thread/

Here's a few quick highlights:

• Release date is Wednesday October 21, 2015
  • Initial release will only be on Windows, but Linux and MacOSX support will eventually be available
  • All players on a private server have unlimited premium time. That means no level cap
  • Server operators can assign GM status, add or remove in-game money from the economy, and modify various skill and rule settings with a GUI. I expect there will be options for modifying skill gain for individual skills, modifying timer lengths for individual actions, and modifying the initial skill levels for new players
  • You can mod the server and client but you'll probably have to do it like in the early Minecraft days by decompiling .jar files. Not sure if there will be mod support for private servers on Steam
  • You can run the server with your own hardware on through a hosting company, but Rolf won't be renting servers out directly. No price estimates have been given but I'm guessing $30-60 per month for a 50-player server is reasonably after looking at other online games
  • There are plans to support an official Steam server list so you can publish your private server to the general public
  • Initial release will not have a map generator. Two maps will be provided at release for Adventure and Creative mode. It's possible to make custom maps but you'll need a 3rd party program and then Rolf will have to release his custom Java map conversion tools
  • The server will be free to download. The client will be a one-time purchase through Steam without any monthly fees. The price is currently being negotiated
  • Only map sizes of 2048x2048 tiles (4x4 km) will be available initially. That's the size of the first Challenge server, or the size of HOTS Home on the Epic cluster

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 17, 2015

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Rolf is answering questions about the details for Wurm Unlimited in this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130568-frequently-asked-questions-thread/

Here's a few quick highlights:

• You can mod the server and client but you'll probably have to do it like in the early Minecraft days by decompiling .jar files. Not sure if there will be mod support for private servers on Steam

sweet jesus how can one man hate freedom so much

rolfcode is its own dedicated circle of hell

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Piglet posted:

Well one obvious side effect of this "host your own server" thing is that it'll be harder to annoy people if that's what you're after. You'll either just get banned by the server owner or the annoyed people will find a different server or start their own private server..

Yeah, I have a feeling Wurm won't see the equivalent of UO:F. I'd rather they just turn the MMO part free to play and reduce the grind. I could never really justify dipping my toes into this game because of all the grind.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i'll be running a wurm server on day 1

i should be able to support at least a few hundred players

Impotence fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 17, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biowarfare posted:

Ok friend I'll try it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Ok friend I'll try it

game master eonwe

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gross

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

actual quote from their forum:

"I would actually hope this game sells for 100$ in the Steam store… With all the premium time I have paid for development, make sure you sell this for a good price, because it might be your last game income."

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
Maybe I can replicate some famous ramps like the Bright Angel trail or Angels Landing.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

Fantastic, I was gonna ask about getting a private server set up. I won't have much free time to spare until mid-October but then I'll write up another thread and maybe I can help out with the map generation if there's community tools available by that point.

Regarding pubbie trolling, if we have 400-600 server population cap to work with then we can cultivate a pubbie community in a separate public server where we adjust the rules/settings and pass out in-game currency in a way that slightly favors the spergs but not to the point where it drives everyone away like in the actual Wurm servers. Then we'll have our own private goon server with Challenge settings (30x skillgain, fast action timers, 21 initial skill for essential skills and attributes, whatever else we decide is fun) and we can either make new accounts on the pubbie snowglobe server with GM-spawned tools or temporarily link the servers through boat travel for occasional server invasions. I can help with moderating the pubbie snowglobe and if we actually make their game experience enjoyable most of the time I think they'll tolerate the occasional bit of privately sanctioned larceny, vandalism, and roleplaying of Syrian refugees in their local chat.

Also if there's enough hardware available then a 3rd linked wilderness server with full PvP and a rotation of crazy themed maps would be pretty awesome. Once the map generation tools are available we could make a Nile River-themed map that's mostly desert and mountains, or a Grand Canyon-themed map at like 1/4 scale with rope bridges

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
thats spergy as gently caress but yeah i have a lot of resources, no idea how much wurm consumes but i assume a lot because wurm

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah second thought it's probably too much effort and bullshit to manage a pubbie community in wurm, but having at least two servers is still a good idea so we can have a home base server for our permanent village deeds while experimenting with different settings, maps, and public visibility on a different linked server

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
is there any docs on the wurm unlimited server yet? i mean the big question is probably "does it even support linking two servers"

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

lmbo rolf docs

it definitely doesn't come with any anti-cheat, so a public server isn't going to be an option unless you're open hardcore automation :v:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

is there any docs on the wurm unlimited server yet? i mean the big question is probably "does it even support linking two servers"

Yes it does, so expect people to go a bit mad and almost all servers being connected to each other.

Its one of the few pieces of info I have gathered in between laughing at all the existing Wurm players and how they are acting as if the sky is falling. Its those players which are one of the reasons why Wurm never has taken off, well and the fact it has a skill grind that's worse than real life, looks like it was made in the 90's and has a developer whose incompetent, but if it wasn't for all those things it would have been a success.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

lmbo rolf docs

it definitely doesn't come with any anti-cheat, so a public server isn't going to be an option unless you're open hardcore automation :v:

i am actually curious how a server would do if it encouraged macroing / how accelerated growth would be / encouraging people to afk macro overnight and seeing if they get killed by other invaders

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Biowarfare posted:

i am actually curious how a server would do if it encouraged macroing / how accelerated growth would be / encouraging people to afk macro overnight and seeing if they get killed by other invaders

95% of the macros people would write would be considered basic UI functionality ityool 2015 v:v:v

Also, most non-grognards played with sound off and did all their grinding by alt-tabbing in once every few minutes, so I don't think you'd see much change in that regard.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

95% of the macros people would write would be considered basic UI functionality ityool 2015 v:v:v

Also, most non-grognards played with sound off and did all their grinding by alt-tabbing in once every few minutes, so I don't think you'd see much change in that regard.

I played with the sound on unless I was sawing, sawing is STILL THREE TIMES AS LOUD AS ANY OTHER SOUND.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

yeah but partially my plan is this:

- we encourage overnight afk botting, and possibly even have a few basic macros given out to everyone by default
- this causes us to have inflated daily active user count at all hours
- also it would be hilarious to see other people pillage afk villages based on timezones

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

yeah but partially my plan is this:

- we encourage overnight afk botting, and possibly even have a few basic macros given out to everyone by default
- this causes us to have inflated daily active user count at all hours
- also it would be hilarious to see other people pillage afk villages based on timezones

I like the idea of using bots to keep a constant user count on a public server to encourage pubbie activity, although with the new Steam integration it'll only be possible to run one Wurm client per Steam account. I noticed that with the fast skillgain and skill curve on the Challenge servers you really don't need to grind or use macros at all for essential skills like carpentry or blacksmithing - you just start making a full set of high quality tools for yourself and when you finish in about 2-3 hours you're nearly at the maximum effective skill rating. Niche skills like lockpicking and channeling are still a pain to grind though, and attributes still take a long time too although you don't really need to grind them unless you're doing PvP or enchanting. Bulk creation of construction materials like planks and rock shards is probably the most useful application for macros

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

i will play if i can start off just maxed out so i can build sweet poo poo.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Wurm Unlimited is on sale now for preorders through a non-Steam site that will send a Steam key during the release date in 2 weeks - if you get an error about region locking you can change the website region through the drop-down menu in the top-right corner . The price is $29.99 with a 20% discount for preorders and a 10% discount for purchases made up to a week after the release date. Also it looks like the community is making good progress on support for custom maps and there will probably be some tools available at release for making new maps from scratch or from a heightmap generated by a different terrain generation program. Also Rolf compiled a FAQ full of random details about Wurm Unlimited that he's posted about on the official forums:
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131135-faq/

Regarding the goon server settings, I'm thinking we should have the private goons-only server basically run like Minecraft creative mode, so fast (~4 seconds) action timers, everybody starts with max skills and characteristics, Freedom rules for PvP and property protection, and we can hand out silver coins so people can protect their dick castles and giant mountain ramps with settlement deeds. If Bio has enough spare hardware for a second server then that should be the pubbie test server and we can change the settings and maps periodically and try to create a functional macro-based virtual economy or a Mad-Max PvP free-for-all hellhole or a pubbie griefing skinner box or whatever people think would be entertaining.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 7, 2015

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Really could do with a thread in the main Games forum creating for this nearer time of release, given its new form is not a MMO.

Very surprised by the price, I was expecting it to be high but hes priced it very competitively.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
the problem is though, how do we entice pubbies into actualy playing ont his poo poo

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah next week I'll start drafting up a new thread and post it on the Monday before release. If anybody has good screenshots or gifs for the OP post them here.

Getting pubbies to try our server will be easy if public server listings are available at launch, it's keeping them from leaving after we wall their corpses in that's the tricky part. What if we ran the pubbie server like a reality TV show - we give silver coins to five different people so they can found villages, and each week we run some kind of challenge and the loser gets eliminated by having their town wrecked by our alt accounts or super-powered goon server accounts over the weekend. This will give pubbies an incentive to manage and grow their own villages and send invitations to newcomers as soon as they spawn in for the first time. This also limits how often we can gently caress pubbies over and also makes it the fault of the victim for losing the challenge instead of us just being dicks and griefing people, so I think this will make it less likely that pubbies get sick of our poo poo and leave for another server. We could even give an advance date for the weekend raids and turn them into giant planned PvP siege events. At the end of each month we reset the map, and we have a raffle for the silver coins for the next scenario with members of winning villages getting more raffle tickets to discourage people from consolidating into the same megatown each time. Also any pubbies that settle alone in the wilderness are free game and can be wrecked by goons or pubbies at any time until they join a village.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 9, 2015

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Amstrad posted:

I'd totally consider playing this again if the new Unlimited version lets a private server modify it enough to fix the terrible skill grind and artificial cap on skill level that required paying for a subscription.

Seconded. Maybe, I dunno. Wurm with goons is fun, I took part in the dirt bridge project once long ago.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Yeah next week I'll start drafting up a new thread and post it on the Monday before release. If anybody has good screenshots or gifs for the OP post them here.

Getting pubbies to try our server will be easy if public server listings are available at launch, it's keeping them from leaving after we wall their corpses in that's the tricky part. What if we ran the pubbie server like a reality TV show - we give silver coins to five different people so they can found villages, and each week we run some kind of challenge and the loser gets eliminated by having their town wrecked by our alt accounts or super-powered goon server accounts over the weekend. This will give pubbies an incentive to manage and grow their own villages and send invitations to newcomers as soon as they spawn in for the first time. This also limits how often we can gently caress pubbies over and also makes it the fault of the victim for losing the challenge instead of us just being dicks and griefing people, so I think this will make it less likely that pubbies get sick of our poo poo and leave for another server. We could even give an advance date for the weekend raids and turn them into giant planned PvP siege events. At the end of each month we reset the map, and we have a raffle for the silver coins for the next scenario with members of winning villages getting more raffle tickets to discourage people from consolidating into the same megatown each time. Also any pubbies that settle alone in the wilderness are free game and can be wrecked by goons or pubbies at any time until they join a village.

If unrestricted cross-server play is a thing, I'd rather see our server being 'the hive of villainy' and whatnot. Essentially, we play the part of 'Pirate Island', and crash different servers whenever we feel like it. We could call ourselves the Vikings and say we're here in the name of the gods and whatnot if we want to RP at them at the same time to make them even more mad when the wave of naked invaders rush through their villagers. With the 'games' essentially knocking out the weakest links in our server, hopefully we'd end up with the best of like-minded people living in our server to conduct massive raids against fortified pubbie servers.

If Public/Private settings are can be changed at any time once the server has started, it'd be ideal to look for the perfect spot for a huge castle to build up before allowing others in, so that we have a near impregnable base to always sortie out of. It might just be that I feel like being autistic spending hours building walls again like in the last challenge server again, but hopefully if this becomes real I'd have the time to do it all over again like that time.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Karistar posted:

If unrestricted cross-server play is a thing, I'd rather see our server being 'the hive of villainy' and whatnot. Essentially, we play the part of 'Pirate Island', and crash different servers whenever we feel like it. We could call ourselves the Vikings and say we're here in the name of the gods and whatnot if we want to RP at them at the same time to make them even more mad when the wave of naked invaders rush through their villagers. With the 'games' essentially knocking out the weakest links in our server, hopefully we'd end up with the best of like-minded people living in our server to conduct massive raids against fortified pubbie servers.

If Public/Private settings are can be changed at any time once the server has started, it'd be ideal to look for the perfect spot for a huge castle to build up before allowing others in, so that we have a near impregnable base to always sortie out of. It might just be that I feel like being autistic spending hours building walls again like in the last challenge server again, but hopefully if this becomes real I'd have the time to do it all over again like that time.

The servers have to be linked i.e. both servers have to agree to being linked together.

You can customise a lot with the servers from release (e.g. skill gain speed, action timers, etc) but given the server code can be fully decompiled thanks to being java it will be fairly straightforward to create new modifications to make a server do what ever you want it to. The game has a lot of promise and you should be able to remove all the things that makes playing Wurm such a painful experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
New thread is up, hope there's enough interest to keep it near the front page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747466

• Locked thread