Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
Banner add caught my eye, downloaded, couldn't figure out anything, got bored and logged off.

But I read the wiki while at work today and I think I have a better handle on it now. :)

Player name: SmilingJackal,

I also want to play this with my girlfriend, but she is not a goon. Can she join the guild, or whatever, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Banner add caught my eye, downloaded, couldn't figure out anything, got bored and logged off.

But I read the wiki while at work today and I think I have a better handle on it now. :)

Player name: SmilingJackal,

I also want to play this with my girlfriend, but she is not a goon. Can she join the guild, or whatever, anyway?

Ask yourself some questions first.

Do you want to let your girlfriend around goons?
Are you a terrible person?
Do you want this relationship to last?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

GreyPowerVan posted:

Per OP, non-goons can join.

Also, if it helps, I'm a lady too so it's not utterly and completely a sausage fest, just overwhelmingly so.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Yeah, it's not all guys, and most of the goons are pretty cool dudes

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Per OP, non-goons can join.

Also, if it helps, I'm a lady too so it's not utterly and completely a sausage fest, just overwhelmingly so.

Thanks! I read the OP, but not very closely. I guess I missed that. \/:shobon:\/

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yes.
Very much so.
If she wants to leave me, she has to escape the basement first.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I tried this a few years back. Figured some stuff out, but one day I tried to go for a wander. I got to the bottom of a big hill, and it was really hard to walk up it. So I gave up.

Is that still a thing?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maneck posted:

I tried this a few years back. Figured some stuff out, but one day I tried to go for a wander. I got to the bottom of a big hill, and it was really hard to walk up it. So I gave up.

Is that still a thing?

Oh most definitely. My solution so far has been to just never go outside.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Trastion posted:

ok you need to explain this. :)

This is the technique known as "horsecocking" where you abuse the mechanic where you only attack the creature you have targeted. So you target a mostly harmless farm critter like a cow or bull or horse, then immediately target another critter well outside of your attack range. The first creature will beat on you while you do nothing but block and parry, which raises your weapon and shield subskills. Make sure you're in the defensive fighting stance with a full set of armor, and back off when low on stamina so you can rest and repair your equipment. You can do this while afk for a few minutes at a time to get your weapon and shield skills up easily. This is all documented on the private wiki too.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, just had the first raid on our village. Mol-Rehan has been mostly quiet so far during this scenario but attacked us with about 10 guys during our off-hours. Our defenses were only 1/3 done but we held them off for a while until a Horde of the Summoned group appeared with about another 10 guys and a massive three-way brawl erupted outside our keep. A few people died on all sides and then both groups of attackers fled without draining our token. It was pretty nuts, also we need bricks and planks to make parapets for archers.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Alright I'm back in as Stevefin

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Holy poo poo, just had the first raid on our village. Mol-Rehan has been mostly quiet so far during this scenario but attacked us with about 10 guys during our off-hours. Our defenses were only 1/3 done but we held them off for a while until a Horde of the Summoned group appeared with about another 10 guys and a massive three-way brawl erupted outside our keep. A few people died on all sides and then both groups of attackers fled without draining our token. It was pretty nuts, also we need bricks and planks to make parapets for archers.

The amazing thing is that we came out on top, with both MR and the Blacklighters losing a bunch of barded horses and we even managed to capture a horse at the end. While the Blacklighters ran off with a cart full of mortar and stone bricks, they left behind the cart that MR brought with them for the raid, resulting in nothing more than multiple deaths by Krillin and those construction materials as our real losses.

I can't seem to reconnect to Wurm after disconnecting earlier following some period of lag, so if anyone else wanted to make stone bricks in the meantime I'll get back to building the rest of the houses and the second floors when I can get back on.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Stevefin posted:

Alright I'm back in as Stevefin

Oh I was wondering who you were during the skirmishing after the raid earlier. If you're on later ask Ratskull, Dirtycheat, Meepo, Encondillo, or Chakra for an invite

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Oh I was wondering who you were during the skirmishing after the raid earlier. If you're on later ask Ratskull, Dirtycheat, Meepo, Encondillo, or Chakra for an invite

Yeah I thought I found it due to the names of the walls, after failing on using the PM I just left till some one read the thread.

That (glitch?) trap on the hill was awesome

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
OP made this game actually sound... somewhat interesting, and I'm all about some waddling bears, but it was this post

Biowarfare posted:

Wait til you gently caress up archery and accidentaly throw your high-level sword at an enemy

that won me over. Registering for wiki access as fullmetalboxers now. :black101:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Alright, I haven't played wurm in YEARS and I mentioned casually "Well I'm just going to wait for a private server, because this seems like a good game without the subscription." oh hey it looks like I get to see if I'm wrong!

Getting in under Forer, should the mumble have a public room so people can hop in, and when they get regged they can get into the normal mumble stuff, or is it just being completely locked down better.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Player name is Ruzihm. Seems interesting enough.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Full Metal Boxers posted:

but it was this post that won me over.

It was something about still being set to 'ranged fighting' mode while i had a sword and shield. I clicked attack on a monster, and it threw my equips at it and I had to go look for it in a massive grass+dirt patch

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Do throwing things like axes/spears do any consequential amount of damage? You'd think they would make spears do decent damage within 5 tiles or so.

LotionMan
Nov 1, 2004
Shut up, or I'll give you a nasty rash !
well, I've caved in and downloaded this thing now, Crundle ingame

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In as Meskhenet,

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
In as AlexanderHubble

Granny
Jun 18, 2008

Looks good just registered as Jimmer

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Quick update on the goon village, construction has really moved along and is probably about 3/4 finished. My plan is to have everything finalized by day 7 of the challenge so we can completely devote the rest of just fighting people. Wasn't a whole lot of PvP activity on Saturday, and I'd like to think it's because people were busy for Valentine's Day. Now our main priorities are making sure everyone is equipped with combat gear and has some archery and weapon skills for the large battles coming up.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
(nsfw?)

I have a screenshot of Krillin's corpse on the village deed on my other computer that I'll need to upload. OP material for sure.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 15, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
In game name same as here, getting the client set up, but not sure if my connection will let me play right now.

I played this once at least 5 years ago now. I made a house and a giant fenced in area, then got my house camped by a wolf.

I'll probably mostly do crafting and then die a lot in PvP, is there any crafter you guys need?

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
Joining up as Itsthattime, going to try getting to the goon village without being killed.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Bondematt posted:

I'll probably mostly do crafting and then die a lot in PvP, is there any crafter you guys need?

We could always use fletchers and platesmiths, but we especially just need people to arrange war parties and capture battle camps, or just wander around and kill people or whatever is fun. Also animal tamers would be helpful, horses are still in short supply so we've been riding into battle on bison carts, warbears, and occasionally warcrocs.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Some kind of total scrub how-to would be nice in the OP, since I hopped on and immediately did a Wile E. Coyote style faceplant into the learning curve and 1999-era interface.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Can I bot in this game? It's really the only way I play MMOs anymore. I'll occasionally show up and play.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

boho posted:

Some kind of total scrub how-to would be nice in the OP, since I hopped on and immediately did a Wile E. Coyote style faceplant into the learning curve and 1999-era interface.
Good idea, I'll make an elaborate newbie guide but it'll take some time and effort and probably won't be ready until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Also here's a quick update on the village status for end of the weekend:

This scenario has a couple of regular events that are intended to get players out of their fortified village areas and into large PvP fights in the central no-man's-land. At randomized intervals every 2-3 hours, a shower of sparkly crap (we call it the jizz) appears in the center to announce that the central supply depot is about to spawn some useful materials. These are also randomized, and include things like high quality iron lumps, adamantium and glimmersteel ore, dragon scales and hides, and spell tomes. Normally we swoop in on mounts and bison-drawn carts, grab the supplies as soon as they spawn, and get the gently caress out before enemies arrive or we get swamped by the hostile NPC guards that spawn in the area to prevent camping. There's also the "Hunt of the Ancients" event that occurs at regularly scheduled intervals every 36 hours. It's basically a king of the hill event where kingdoms attempt to capture pillars in the central battlefield area to win points that help determine which kingdom wins the scenario. Anyone can check when the next hunt is at their village token by looking up the settlement info, so these typically draw a large crowd of warriors and result in large battles in the central area, which is currently filled with dead rotting warhorses and piles of abandoned junk.

Earlier today a small group of goons and allied pubbies swooped in to grab resources from the jizz and were chased by a couple of enemies from the enemy Horde of the Summoned (HOTS) kingdom. We regrouped behind a small hill and called in backup from our villages nearby, and the HOTS guys blundered right into our ambush. We wiped them out without any casualties I believe, and got some pretty nice loot. A larger battle erupted later that day about half an hour before the Hunt of the Ancients. This time the HOTS brought in a much larger force, and they were better equipped and organized than our goon and pubbie coalition which was split across different Teamspeak servers - actually several of us weren't in Teamspeak at all. We suffered heavy casualties and were mostly wiped out, but continued making a few more suicide rushes with our default spawn gear. We did manage to take down a few enemies when they boarded my bison-drawn battle cart, and I simply drove them back into the middle of our warrior blob where we all mobbed them to death. It was still pretty fun despite the loss, and if we could just get more organized we would win through sheer numbers. Not long after that one of our goons was jumped and killed out in the wilderness near town by an enemy pubbie, and a big swarm of us immediately rushed out and formed a picket line to track him down and trap him. He managed to elude us for like 15 minutes and we were getting kinda frustrated, so once we found him we all kicked him to death slowly so that all ~15 of us could get a blow in. There were a few smaller skirmishes throughout the day later, and I led a small scouting and plundering trip through the relatively weak Mol-Rehan (MR) kingdom which gave us so much trouble during the last scenario.

At this point most of the tedious grunt work with the village is done, so there's little risk of players dropping out from burnout, and we have enough players and fortifications that we no longer face an existential threat of our village getting raided off the map. Now the plan is to just have fun working on personal vanity construction projects, or getting in big chaotic fights in the center, or marauding through the sad little shitforts that pubbies in other kingdoms have built. If people want to build their own houses or other projects now that's fine, although they should be built at least 25 tiles away from our village so they can't be used for cover by enemies, also there's no guarantee that we'll actually protect anything we build outside the village.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 16, 2015

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Earlier today a small group of goons and allied pubbies swooped in to grab resources from the jizz and were chased by a couple of enemies from the enemy Horde of the Summoned (HOTS) kingdom. We regrouped behind a small hill and called in backup from our villages nearby, and the HOTS guys blundered right into our ambush. We wiped them out without any casualties I believe, and got some pretty nice loot. A larger battle erupted later that day about half an hour before the Hunt of the Ancients. This time the HOTS brought in a much larger force, and they were better equipped and organized than our goon and pubbie coalition which was split across different Teamspeak servers - actually several of us weren't in Teamspeak at all. We suffered heavy casualties and were mostly wiped out, but continued making a few more suicide rushes with our default spawn gear. We did manage to take down a few enemies when they boarded my bison-drawn battle cart, and I simply drove them back into the middle of our warrior blob where we all mobbed them to death. It was still pretty fun despite the loss, and if we could just get more organized we would win through sheer numbers. Not long after that one of our goons was jumped and killed out in the wilderness near town by an enemy pubbie, and a big swarm of us immediately rushed out and formed a picket line to track him down and trap him. He managed to elude us for like 15 minutes and we were getting kinda frustrated, so once we found him we all kicked him to death slowly so that all ~15 of us could get a blow in. There were a few smaller skirmishes throughout the day later, and I led a small scouting and plundering trip through the relatively weak Mol-Rehan (MR) kingdom which gave us so much trouble during the last scenario.

The hilarious bit is that while we've lost the fighting in both HotA events, our alliance of us and the pubbie village right next to us have managed to backcap both events to win the drat things.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Good idea, I'll make an elaborate newbie guide but it'll take some time and effort and probably won't be ready until Tuesday or Wednesday.

I would love this too. The in game tutorial is kind of poo poo.

Is there any particular reason why it would take me 2 - 3 minutes to kill a aged chicken?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Is there any particular reason why it would take me 2 - 3 minutes to kill a aged chicken?
Chickens are insanely, incredibly tanky. You'll probably want to try killing something easier like a bison or giant spider or lava demon first.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
I signed up as Soggycrack

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Quick update, the enemy Mol-Rehan (MR) kingdom has completely collapsed just like Jenn-Kellon (JK) did on the last scenario, and is just a few disorganized stragglers getting ganked when they try walking more than 10 feet away from the starter towns. It looks like their kingdom broke apart after the scenario because of in-fighting among the insufferable sperg towns, and many of their experienced fighters joined the other kingdoms for this scenario, while a lot of idiots joined MR at the start of this scenario hoping for an easy win. Most of the remaining elite fighters in MR tried to join JK, but couldn't because of a previously unknown bug (or possibly an intentional mechanic, knowing Rolf) that lets whitelight kingdoms convert to blacklighters, but won't let whitelighters convert between MR and JK. So basically everyone in MR is forced to teamstack onto the blacklighter side and we're getting outmatched 2:3 or worse when we try fighting in the central areas. Our village is still safe though, and we've taught the blacklighters that if they get too close we pop out of hidden caves and murder them from all directions. So right now I'd focus on finishing our fortifications and making the village look nice while yelling at Rolf to fix kingdom conversions. In the meantime I'll experiment with some guerilla ganking strategies we can use, and plan some big scheduled raids into the center so we can fight blacklighters with equal odds. I'd recommend checking the private wiki often

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Been wanting to check this out for awhile. In as mux

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Can I get in please? Grawl.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Anyone still needing a village invite can just head west from Dim Lake and ask around in local. If that fails, get on the steam group chat and ask there.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Are we building a land bridge? I'll only join if it means digging dirt for hours every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Mein Eyes! posted:

Are we building a land bridge? I'll only join if it means digging dirt for hours every day.

You've mostly missed the boat on digging but there's still some left. I guess we could use some dirt moats around the village too.

Also quick update for today, some Mol-Rehan players have started joining us as refugees using new accounts. The blacklighters are generally stronger than us, mostly because they have more hardcore sperg warriors that show up to every fight, but we still get some victories in, and we have a roughly equal number of total players. A little after 11PM EST a very large blacklighter force raided our village and our ally village. After several hours of heavy fighting they drained both tokens, but were unable to take any significant loot, and most of our village is intact. I'm really proud of how I designed the village - we constantly hitting them from all directions and pulling off clever fakeouts while they milled around confused in our labyrinth layout, and we smashed their catapult while they were distracted. It was highly amusing, and we held them off for a really long time despite outnumbered 4:1. After draining our ally village they were exhausted and disorganized, and retreated back to their villages piecemeal while we suicide rushed them with berserker alts, and we killed a few of their best players and looted a powerful artifact from one of them. Soon I'll post screenshots of our awesome town and the after-battle carnage.

Some lessons learned:
* The village layout is fantastic, but needs a 2nd mine entrance up top
* Coordinated suicide alt rushes with spawn gear are powerful. Always go with the huge axe
* We need more combat priests
* We need magic turrets, (look up "strange device" on the crafting recipes) spike barriers, and siege shields built and ready to go
* The blacklighters always raid us starting around 11PM EST - stay tuned at that time if you want to help defend. They have few players on starting at around 8PM EST though, and our allies have apparently been raiding them successfully then

edit: Pubbies are starting to rage: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/118604-challenge-skirmishespvp-thread-for-round-2/page-4

"KellyTxX posted:

In all seriousness the only reason your deed wasnt a pile of rubble was because of the endless stream of geared alts. Not a single one of you was actually fighting us on your mains in the end.. Rolf needs to do something about this because as it is its smarter to make a whole brigade of alts to fight people with rather than fighting on their mains.

Your pathetic. You use an alt to steal an artifact and you BRAG about it? You guys use alts to get gear and you brag.. My god you guys are bad. Like.. i need to flush you turds down the toilet

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 18, 2015

• Locked thread