Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll try a clean reinstall and the 10166 build, thanks. I didn't know how to reboot the machine and boot from the usb key I made, so I upgraded from within Windows. Probably accounts for several errors.

Anyway now that I've found where to download a recovery image to get right back to stock Surface 3 I'm less spooked of mucking around :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I'll try a clean reinstall and the 10166 build, thanks. I didn't know how to reboot the machine and boot from the usb key I made, so I upgraded from within Windows. Probably accounts for several errors.

Anyway now that I've found where to download a recovery image to get right back to stock Surface 3 I'm less spooked of mucking around :v:

For future reference, the hard restart I mentioned (power+volume down, release when the Surface logo appears) is also how you get what passes for UEFI options on the Surface, including changing the boot order.

You can also tell it to boot from USB within Windows with UEFI (any 8.1 or 10 PC that isn't using legacy bios mode can do this) - search for advanced startup options in Recovery, when it reboots one of the options - other than recovery - will be boot off USB device if you have one plugged in.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

If you want to go back to 8.1 on a surface you might have to wipe your os first. I read an article on Windows Central about that before I took the plunge. Something about Windows 10 doesn't want to down grade even from a valid recovery USB. I can try to find the article and post it, but it was months ago and Microsoft could have fixed this issue by now.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wookieepelt posted:

If you want to go back to 8.1 on a surface you might have to wipe your os first. I read an article on Windows Central about that before I took the plunge. Something about Windows 10 doesn't want to down grade even from a valid recovery USB. I can try to find the article and post it, but it was months ago and Microsoft could have fixed this issue by now.

Probably old. I've rolled back to 8.1 once on my SP3 from 10 (build 10158, I was testing it specifically).

That said, in the preview phase (and lets be honest to be safe anyway) just make a backup and flatten it, always. I know I sound like a broken record repeating this every page but I have done it many times and it's the de facto method used by most insiders (especially those of us with Surface devices):

Get Macrium Reflect. The free version is fine. In fact the free version is kind of awesome, I worry that they may cripple it one day because there's no real reason to pay for it for private, home use (which so far they are fine with).

Back up your whole device, recovery partition and all, to an external drive. As long as it's a decently fast drive (USB 3 is fine) you will be surprised at how fast this goes, especially if you are used to other imaging software.

Verify the backup image. Seriously. Do this.

Now just do a clean install. If you are on 8.1 and are using a Microsoft account to sign in a lot of your settings will be restored. If you use Chrome it will restore even more when you sign in. Little package installers like Ninite can take care of the rest of the little apps that are common (Chrome itself, Notepad++, whatever floats your boat).

Personal docs, etc. - if you are using OneDrive you are already set, otherwise install Dropbox or SpiderOak if you are paranoid, GoogleDrive, whatever, and then you are set there. If you are keeping docs and files on a single local machine these days you haven't been keeping up.

If you have games, these days all you need to do is back up your Steamapps, EA Games, or Ubi Games (or whatever) app directories, then copy those over, then just install and run whatever app it needs - Steam, Origin, whatever - and it will reinstall what it needs without re-downloading everything. Some games still keep saves in your userapps directory (particularly old ones) so be aware of that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So what's the correct way to do a clean windows 10 install on the surface 3? I feel dumb asking but booting from the win10 USB key and installing win10 in the normal way just leaves me with a tablet that freezes shortly after startup. :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

So what's the correct way to do a clean windows 10 install on the surface 3? I feel dumb asking but booting from the win10 USB key and installing win10 in the normal way just leaves me with a tablet that freezes shortly after startup. :(

Whenever I had trouble booting off a usb drive with the Surface it always came down to either the usb drive or how I created it.

First question: What tool did you create the iso with? You should be using Rufus, and use UEFI mode for the boot option.

Second, I would try another drive, if you have one, fully formatted. The Surface is wonkier than most about booting off USB for some reason. I was banging my head for a while until I switched drives then it booted right up.

Also what preview build are you using? You should be using the official 10162 iso from Microsoft - use an md5 tool to verify the checksum too, to insure you got a good download of it. You can update easily to 10166 from there. There's no reason to use leaked or older builds at this point.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, it booted from the key I made okay--it got crash happy after booting into 10.

I've recovered to 8.1 and am getting things set up for a proper backup via Reflect (thanks for that!) and I'll try it again. It was the latest version of the tech preview, so I can only assume now that the USB stick in question was crap, I'll try another one. :v:

(and yeah I was using Rufus with the GPT for UEFI loader option)

(ed) I also need to remember to put drivers for the 3 on the USB key for Win10. Before it got crashy I was able to note that it didn't have wireless or much of anything else working out of the gate.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 10, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, it booted from the key I made okay--it got crash happy after booting into 10.

I've recovered to 8.1 and am getting things set up for a proper backup via Reflect (thanks for that!) and I'll try it again. It was the latest version of the tech preview, so I can only assume now that the USB stick in question was crap, I'll try another one. :v:

(ed) I also need to remember to put drivers for the 3 on the USB key for Win10. Before it got crashy I was able to note that it didn't have wireless or much of anything else working out of the gate.

If you keep having problems with the preview, it might just make sense to wait til the 29th for the release.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fair point, I might as well just wait it out in the meantime. Probably not worth the effort, I dunno why I was so laser focused on it. :v:

New question, I know the windows app store is a bit shite, but are any of the youtube apps for easier tablet use any good? I've tried Metrotube, MegaTube and PrimeTube and none actually seem to be able to log in to youtube so I can see my subscriptions/watch later. :(

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Are you using the Pro edition .iso? For some reason I remember the preview builds not having Surface drivers on the Pro edition. The trick with those is do what you are thinking, download the Surface driver pack from Microsoft (the Windows 8.1 drivers are the same, the ones that need updating will do so after you have network) and install them. It's a little tedious at first but goes pretty quick. This I expect they will have corrected for RTM but who knows.

Ciaphas posted:

New question, I know the windows app store is a bit shite, but are any of the youtube apps for easier tablet use any good? I've tried Metrotube, MegaTube and PrimeTube and none actually seem to be able to log in to youtube so I can see my subscriptions/watch later. :(

All the Youtube apps in the store are poo poo, yes. Some of them I would flat out be suspicious of though Microsoft has gotten a little better about policing their crappy store.

It's the browser for you, buddy. Ironically Chrome is currently the best full screen touch browser in Windows 10 at the moment so if you like Chrome anyway, lucky day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ixian posted:

Are you using the Pro edition .iso? For some reason I remember the preview builds not having Surface drivers on the Pro edition. The trick with those is do what you are thinking, download the Surface driver pack from Microsoft (the Windows 8.1 drivers are the same, the ones that need updating will do so after you have network) and install them. It's a little tedious at first but goes pretty quick. This I expect they will have corrected for RTM but who knows.

All the Youtube apps in the store are poo poo, yes. Some of them I would flat out be suspicious of though Microsoft has gotten a little better about policing their crappy store.

It's the browser for you, buddy. Ironically Chrome is currently the best full screen touch browser in Windows 10 at the moment so if you like Chrome anyway, lucky day.

I regularly waffle between Chrome and Firefox (really the only reason I'd ever prefer firefox is the ctrl-shift-E Panorama thing), so that'll do as an excuse to switch back to Chrome I suppose. :v:

(ed) And no it's the home edition ISO. Haven't tried it again yet. :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 11, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
After a weekend with the SP3, I'm not sure this thing is good enough as a tablet on its own, for entertainment. Watching Netflix on it in fullscreen sends the fans to full blast trying to cool the thing, and the battery is probably good for 90-120 minutes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I thought the SP3 was fanless?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

I thought the SP3 was fanless?

nope. The S3 is.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

notZaar posted:

After a weekend with the SP3, I'm not sure this thing is good enough as a tablet on its own, for entertainment. Watching Netflix on it in fullscreen sends the fans to full blast trying to cool the thing, and the battery is probably good for 90-120 minutes.

Try using the metro app. It's way less harsh than the website player (HTML5 vs Silverlight)

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159960-netflix-switches-from-silverlight-to-html5-in-windows-8-1-reduces-cpu-usage-dramatically

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 12, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wouldn't using the windows store Netflix app be the best choice? On my Lenovo yoga 2 I'd easily get 6 hours of constant streaming.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was watching through Chrome. YouTube have me the same issue, I'll try a dedicated app.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

notZaar posted:

Yeah I was watching through Chrome. YouTube have me the same issue, I'll try a dedicated app.

Unless it's changed recently, the dedicated app or IE is the only way to get full resolution video in Netflix anyways; Chrome and Firefox are limited to 720P or lower for lack of DRM reasons.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't really notice, I was just watching American Dad which isn't a show that's markedly improved by high resolution video.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Netflix is a Universal app now, and is also one of the better ones for Windows, so you should definitely be using it, in addition to the reasons already listed - Silverlight (ironically) is the culprit in your case. It's already EOL'd by Microsoft (end of this year) and is basically poo poo.

An enormous percentage (I think it's over 75% but I can't find a recent source) of Netflix's traffic comes from dedicated apps of one kind or another, not browsers, so updating this is a low priority for them. Go with the app.

Also if media consumption is one of your primary use cases you are way better off with the Surface 3, not the Pro.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

grimcreaper posted:

Wouldn't using the windows store Netflix app be the best choice? On my Lenovo yoga 2 I'd easily get 6 hours of constant streaming.

He is in fact saying to use the store app. Windows Store apps use the user interface design/paradigm known as Modern, formerly named Metro. :ssh:

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

notZaar posted:

With Youtube you should try setting the default player to HTML5 instead of Flash (if you haven't already). I'd put the link here, but SA keeps parsing it as a video link and breaking it. Just search for Youtube HTML5 and you'll find it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of youtube, I could watch 1080p on the SP3 in firefox without problem, but suddenly it stutters as hell. What gives? I can't recall making any changes.

I use IE now though, for some reason ad blocking started (kinda) working now. The difference is night and day. 1080p@45/60fps in IE desktop? An almost unoticable load on the SP3. Not so much on firefox.

If I.E supported extensions, and you could easily sync with firefox (which I use on main computer) everything would be great. Now I use firefox when browsing, and IE for videos.

Edit: I get the feeling that the Surface line is so close to being really loving great, but there are lots of small obstacles in the way before it can be.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Edge will support extensions eventually and when it does I'll switch entirely. The only question is what I'll use for my short list of sites that have to work as designed and can't be trusted to function with uBlock/NoScript. Maybe if Edge disables extensions in Private mode but that's not desirable either.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Edge will support extensions eventually and when it does I'll switch entirely. The only question is what I'll use for my short list of sites that have to work as designed and can't be trusted to function with uBlock/NoScript. Maybe if Edge disables extensions in Private mode but that's not desirable either.

Why not just whitelist those sites in the extensions?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ixian posted:

An enormous percentage (I think it's over 75% but I can't find a recent source) of Netflix's traffic comes from dedicated apps of one kind or another, not browsers, so updating this is a low priority for them. Go with the app.
Netflix did. It shouldn't require Silverlight on IE11, Chrome, or Safari. It uses HTML5 instead. If it's using Silverlight still that sounds like a problem on the user's end.

Edit: that doesn't make the dedicated app recommendation wrong, but the Silverlight thing doesn't make sense. Just checked again and he was using Chrome, so it sounds like their HTML5 video performance might be garbage if it really wasn't using Silverlight

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 13, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has anyone tried installing an Android emulator on one of the less-powerful tablets to bridge the app gap? Someone on Thurrott.com recommended AmiDUOS, but before I start down that road I'd have to make a list of apps I need desperately enough.

TopherCStone posted:

Why not just whitelist those sites in the extensions?
A couple of them use scripts from third-party sites I'd rather not whitelist.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Netflix did. It shouldn't require Silverlight on IE11, Chrome, or Safari. It uses HTML5 instead. If it's using Silverlight still that sounds like a problem on the user's end.

Edit: that doesn't make the dedicated app recommendation wrong, but the Silverlight thing doesn't make sense. Just checked again and he was using Chrome, so it sounds like their HTML5 video performance might be garbage if it really wasn't using Silverlight

If he's using any kind of script or ad blocker in Chrome it'll fall back to Silverlight, as I recall, due to the way they implement their version of Encrypted Media Extensions for HTML in Chrome.

Or yes, there's another problem.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's a pretty vanilla install of Chrome. I'll keep it for a few weeks and see how o feel, there's 90 days on the return policy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Is it worth getting a tablet now (specifically, an Asus T100 for $150), or am I going to be better off waiting for the post Windows 10 refresh?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Shumagorath posted:

A couple of them use scripts from third-party sites I'd rather not whitelist.
Maybe look into replacing NoScript with some plugin that can allow stuff in request origin-destination combinations. uMatrix is a prime candidate, available for both chrome and firefox now. I'm using Policeman on Firefox, which is a similar thing.

You can pretty much set it up so that all requests are allowed except when they concern scripts or 3rd party frames, giving you a similar functionality to NoScript.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Has anyone tried installing an Android emulator on one of the less-powerful tablets to bridge the app gap? Someone on Thurrott.com recommended AmiDUOS, but before I start down that road I'd have to make a list of apps I need desperately enough.

I dabbled a little with App Runtime for Chrome (ARC) on my Surface 3, though it seems to run well, it's not ideal. Two problems are that the apps don't respond to touchscreen inputs and can't run in fullscreen. While it may not be as big of a problem if you're running on a computer without a touchscreen, it still ruins the appeal of running Android apps on a Windows tablet and running games or video apps. Also, I find that it's a lot easier to convert Android apps into Chrome apps if you already have a Android device though it's still a rather convoluted process.

Also, some apps I wanted to run on Windows is a control app for my camera and printer that connects through Wifi. Even though I could connect my Surface to the Wifi network that the camera and printer creates, the apps running on Chrome couldn't connect. Unless the Windows firewall was getting in the way or the way Chrome runs the app isn't what the app expects, I wonder if the only way for the app to work is to natively run Android on the Surface. I suppose there are still emulators or virtualization but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Coldforge posted:

Is it worth getting a tablet now (specifically, an Asus T100 for $150), or am I going to be better off waiting for the post Windows 10 refresh?

There's nothing specific about Windows 10 that will affect the refresh, other than a very few manufacturers like Toshiba adding Cortana keys, which are exactly as useless as they sound (if they don't sound useless, try Cortana). Refreshes are tied more to hardware which is Intel-land, mostly.

Will manufacturers take advantage of the launch for all manner of promotions old and new? Probably, though they got burned on Windows 8. Will some deals sprout out of that? Also probably. Better than what is out there now? No one can say. Playing the waiting game with gadgets is always a losing proposition.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe look into replacing NoScript with some plugin that can allow stuff in request origin-destination combinations. uMatrix is a prime candidate, available for both chrome and firefox now. I'm using Policeman on Firefox, which is a similar thing.

You can pretty much set it up so that all requests are allowed except when they concern scripts or 3rd party frames, giving you a similar functionality to NoScript.
Do NoScript and the others do anything about tracking cookies? I had to except Facebook from self-destructing cookies because it made my 2-factor login too much of a hassle, but if the cookie's still there is blocking the script enough?

Considering that my list of sites that need to work unmodified don't run social network tracking or ad affiliates I think I'll be OK.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What's the word on OneNote in Windows 10? I just did some testning, and no it's not me getting Parkinson's in my 20's, but the desktop version of OneNote that has problems with doing smooth handwriting, and it's annoying me to no end. Metro OneNote or Bamboo paper has no such problems. Really glad it's not a a hardware problem though.

Maybe I've missed some setting? It's almost like it's treating the pen as a mouse pointer and just using that to write. Can't really use OneNote metro, since it's lack of all functionality.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Do NoScript and the others do anything about tracking cookies?
A cookie is created or updated with tracking information when some other site calls back to facebook to say "hey, this guy visited my page which has one of your 'like' buttons on it" and then facebook.com modifies the cookie. What the others can do for you is not have that call back take place in the first place. NoScript can do this too (for scripts, at least, and I'm not sure that's enough not to be tracked. They can still store on their end that you've downloaded the like button picture via that site.), but since allowing scripts is a blanket policy with it, you get to choose between blocking scripts and not have facebook work properly or allowing the call back to take place from anywhere. uMatrix or Policeman can be set up to allow facebook to do anything it wants to when you visit facebook.com itself but to block any other site from even contacting it. This means a facebook cookie can be allowed to persist and it will only be updated when you visit facebook itself. So they won't bother with managing cookies directly, they just prevent new tracking information from being generated. In essence; I'm sure it's actually a lot more complicated. But the way things work currently, you're at least severly disrupting the normal flow of information.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

What's the word on OneNote in Windows 10? I just did some testning, and no it's not me getting Parkinson's in my 20's, but the desktop version of OneNote that has problems with doing smooth handwriting, and it's annoying me to no end. Metro OneNote or Bamboo paper has no such problems. Really glad it's not a a hardware problem though.

Maybe I've missed some setting? It's almost like it's treating the pen as a mouse pointer and just using that to write. Can't really use OneNote metro, since it's lack of all functionality.

This only happens when you're missing some sort of driver for your pen. My tablet pc writes fluidly on the onenote installed on it, but when I remote into my desktop it writes like what you've described.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

A cookie is created or updated with tracking information when some other site calls back to facebook to say "hey, this guy visited my page which has one of your 'like' buttons on it" and then facebook.com modifies the cookie. What the others can do for you is not have that call back take place in the first place. NoScript can do this too (for scripts, at least, and I'm not sure that's enough not to be tracked. They can still store on their end that you've downloaded the like button picture via that site.), but since allowing scripts is a blanket policy with it, you get to choose between blocking scripts and not have facebook work properly or allowing the call back to take place from anywhere. uMatrix or Policeman can be set up to allow facebook to do anything it wants to when you visit facebook.com itself but to block any other site from even contacting it. This means a facebook cookie can be allowed to persist and it will only be updated when you visit facebook itself. So they won't bother with managing cookies directly, they just prevent new tracking information from being generated. In essence; I'm sure it's actually a lot more complicated. But the way things work currently, you're at least severly disrupting the normal flow of information.
How hard is it to setup? Right now I just leave Facebook and most Google scripts forbidden until I visit the site (or in Google's case launch IE to log into GMail).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rurutia posted:

This only happens when you're missing some sort of driver for your pen. My tablet pc writes fluidly on the onenote installed on it, but when I remote into my desktop it writes like what you've described.

Actually, after some more testing, it seems like there is also a difference in pen input jaggedness depending on if you hold the back (i.e magnesium part) of it and if you have it on a table with no contact apart from your writing hand. Almost seems like an earthing problem. Still, it's less noticeable in metro apps (probably because they have smoothing and stuff) than in the desktop apps. Also, it sort of comes and goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

How hard is it to setup? Right now I just leave Facebook and most Google scripts forbidden until I visit the site (or in Google's case launch IE to log into GMail).
I'm not recommending Policeman because I'm not sure it's still under active development, but take a look at some uMatrix screenshots to see whether you can grasp how it works. It's not intensely complicated.

Just saw it does also have settings for cookies in a similar way to self-destructing cookies, so I was wrong about that.

• Locked thread