Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My current detailer is my last chief, and he and my current chief are both awesome. When my WHCA orders got dropped we called him up and his advice was, "You should get out of the Navy and not even think of commissioning. You have too much potential to be stuck doing this stupid poo poo for twenty years, even on the officer side. The fact is that no matter how high you go in the military, you're always going to have some idiot working above you." My chief who was sitting with me while he said that laughed and agreed.

I'm still sad that my orders were dropped, and what makes it worse was that for the past two months I've been receiving welcome aboard emails from most of the staff at the agency. The only consolation I have for that is that it was entirely budget fuckery that dropped the FTS billet I was filling, and not my fault except for signing up as FTS. :(

Unless I want to obliserve to go to somewhere like MERIDIAN MISSISSIPPI then I can only extend at my current command for a year. My chief told me that he plans on dropping me from all administrative duties and letting me go hog wild fixing all the broken poo poo or stuff that gets ignored because of administrative red tape. That and training people to do stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

We've been doing a lot of training and I do radio and communications stuff for my command, and a few other things like 3M when they need me to do it.

For the past few days I've had people ranging from E3s to 05s telling me that I'm the best trainer they've ever had for comms, and one of the best they've had for Navy stuff in general. :unsmith:

It is probably because I yell, tell jokes, and don't use power point.

Edit for other navy talk: I'm 99% going to be getting out, but I have a year left on my contract after my PRD is up here. Right now my current (first and maybe only) command is buttering me up for staying here for that year instead of taking orders at a NOSC or a ship (which I would have to extend for.)

I've been told that I'm getting severed from all the administrative stuff that I have right now in the next few months (whether or not I'm staying), and that if I stay I'll be used as a one man tiger team who can pull from the shop's manpower to go around fixing all the huge electronics issues that the CRS community as a whole is having. In addition to that I'll be used as a mobile trainer for getting 3M and EKMS qualifications out of the way for all of our detachments that are off in other states to ease the training burden on our everyone.

That seems like a pretty cool job set, since it pretty much comes down to me working autonomously to solve problems instead of the constant administrative drudgery that I've been stuck in for the past almost-four years. It's awesome because it's very nearly my chain of command throwing me on a big exceptions list to get things done outside of normal administrative means because they trust me to do it well, where normally those functions are there to prevent people from loving things up enormously. All of those things above have pretty much been what I've really wanted to do, and I think it'd be a good, productive closure to my stint in the Navy to be able to do all of that instead of becoming a tax burden off in some NOSC.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 17, 2015

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

FTS are full time support. For all purposes they are treated the same as active duty members, including benefits and the amount of time they have to serve. The big difference is that their promotion pool is significantly smaller because FTS personnel are only put up against other FTS personnel, and they are paid from the reserve pool of money instead of the active pool.

Vcie Admiral Braun is a full on reservist if I remember correctly, but she pretty much functions as an active person with how her orders are long term. She's visited our unit about three times to talk to us and seems pretty great as far as flag officers go.

My fun FTS story is that my last chief was force moved from active into FTS and went full gently caress the navy mode, and then almost a month later he was selected for board and made chief. The window was completely closed for active duty ETs, but when he went to FTS there was a large enough window that he made it on his first try. The joke with him was to never ask him for boarding advice because he made it on his first try and didn't have to learn how to game the system.

• Locked thread