Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

UoI posted:

Yeah, I really am happy with my decision. I couldn't think of anything else as interesting as SHOOTING JETS WITH MOTHERFUCKING STEAM CATAPULTS.

It's a shame how great most jobs in the navy sound considering the reality.

My detailor got a hold of me yesterday with orders to San Diego which would be great except gently caress the navy, so I suppose I get to go in and talk to the career counselor about making my prd match my adsd and let him know I'm getting out. It actually feels really weird knowing that this is the point of no return. I'd feel a lot better about getting out if I didn't have a house and two kids.

Suppose job hunting starts soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Applewhite posted:

Man I'd take the San Diego orders that place is a paradise.

I know, I was there for six years. I'd rather not go back to a ship though and live where I do now.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So everyone says to not sell back your leave, which I agree with...but what if you just worked until your eaos and then sell it back? Doesn't that make more sense since youre making more money that way? Assuming you don't ahve a job you'd be working at during terminal of course.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Then you have an issue of the wardroom getting better food than the rest of the ship. There's already enough issue in some places of elitism without tossing that in as well.

That already happens though. Kiwi's for example.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

germskr posted:

Never contested separate messes for nobles.

E9s and some E8s may eat separately but at Camp Lejeune and Camp Pendleton the E6s (SSGT aka rocker) were dining with E2s-E5s. Lackland AFB, E9s were sitting next to, eating, and talking with E1s on up. The Navy is the only branch where this enlisted pay grade elitism is taken to a new level of stupid with goat locker/chief's mess/khaki uniform/entirely different dress uniform. That doesn't make a good leader by separating folks and saying "hey, now that you're X pay grade, you're a super special snow flake". Additionally, any ranking individual believing that eating a meal (at work) with someone junior will lead to fraternization and the inability of the subordinate to execute orders simply shouldn't be a leader.

A fun thing I tell newly selected chiefs is "Don't forget there's an E in front of that 7!". It makes them angry.

I put in my 1306 today so now it's for real.

I also put in a selres application...can't win them all. About the reserves, for retirement does anyone know if they give you one point per active duty day served? That's essentially what me going into the reserves is hinging on. If I retire with 5000 points it's actually a decent retirement (at 60).

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yup, one point per active duty day.

Well that's good.

And also bad.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

This past drill weekend I had a 7 hour training on ensuring that my junior sailors do not drink and drive on the 28 days a month that I do not see them.

selres.txt

That sounds grand! I can't wait.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

Its not a bad gig. Show up, gently caress off for 8 hours, go home, show up, gently caress off for 8 hours, go home. Collect money, pay it all back for TRICARE-lovely-edition.

Once a year spend either 2 weeks at a school or 2 weeks at a place where people don't want you to be so they ignore you as best they can and just have you clean something or sit around until 4pm.

Also everyone around you is somehow super motivated about SERVING COUNTRY BY DOING NKO COURSES OORAH

Every month you have GMT on either sexual harassment, drugs, alcohol, or hazing. If youre high ranking, you go to meetings where people talk about metrics, rankings, and accomplishments as though everyone under them is not currently engaged in Candy Crush or Facebook.

It is the silliest job ever but I do it because SOMEONE has to stand in front of a room of people and read a Wikipedia article on the Battle of Midway for the 3rd time this year. (The last training I had to give was reading some random COs bio/resume off of their unit's webpage to a group of 20 people as training. I have no idea why or how it counted as "Navy Heritage Training" but :chiefsay: said to do it)

How lovely is the reservist version of tricare?

That sounds like the most ridiculous poo poo ever but I could probably do 380 days of it for money when I'm 60.

I'm legit scared of going to a NOC where everyone is super motivated and there's more dumb navy poo poo, but it really sucks being in for ten years without getting something (other than my kids college mostly paid for). I think my decision will kind of hinge on how my sleep apnea test goes. I've got twelve months before I'm out so there's no rush.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

germskr posted:

Anyway what do I know, I'm just an E5 who is reupping for another 3 against my better judgement because my next set of orders will set me up on the outside. :911:

This is a good idea if it will set you up.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

Jealous chief being dumb, no quotas anywhere

That all sounds lovely, I suppose it's a dream to go active from the reserves. Can you submit an irr transfer chit whenever you want? How long are you on the irr hook for?

Edit: I should probably just stay pming you.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2015

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

The SWO is too drat strong in me.

SWO is literally the Navy. It's god's work that others don't have the balls to do it. We're making miracles happen every loving day on nothing. COCOMs are hungry idiotic political beasts in peace time and their demand signal for their "missions" literally destroys the fleets and the Sailors. SWOs have to make that poo poo happen. There's a reason why at the Pentagon there's a saying that if it's a particularly difficult task with little guidance or reference to go from "give it a SWO." We get poo poo done, it may not be pretty and people's lives might suck but WE GET poo poo DONE. All this with sequestration, reduced manning, retarded procurement, BUPERS, OPNAV, and a million other BS.
:cmon:

loving lmao

Noble.txt

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

Yeah, that's not something to be proud of. Instead of making everything worse for yourself, your sailors, your peers and you ships, there needs to be a line where SWOs say its unhealthy and they can't assume more duties or missions. Maybe then there would be some unfucking of funding, manning and platforms.

The current SWO culture as evidenced above is toxic. You shouldn't be proud of getting less sleep than the next guy. You shouldn't be proud of almost driving yourself to a breakdown. You shouldn't be proud of constantly being yelled at/ yelling at juniors. The FITREP shouldn't be padded by beating the souls out of the people below you to accomplish some bullshit that doesn't really have to be done RIGHT NOW. When a SWO gets promoted to upper leadership from this environment, they perpetuate it just because its the way it has always been. The other ones get out.

You should be proud of finding ways to streamline poo poo so everyone can get their off time as necessary. If this isn't possible, poo poo is broken.

For real, the now now now culture and the fact no one will tell an 0-5 or above "No", or "That's a bad idea and here's why" are enormous problems.

Or maybe people do tell them that but then they yell and stomp their feet like a child and still get there way.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I get the worst roommates. Just walked in on my roomies giving the D to someone. Seriously he knew when my lunch hour was.

Didn't even offer to Eiffel Tower it.

Dick.

The pro move is to not wait for the invite.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Do my job? No sorry I have a bake sale to attend then I'm volunteering so I can't stand watch this weekend. I'm also going to school and have a test so I can't work past 5 I already cleared it with our department head.

Like its amazing how many dudes are "hot poo poo" on paper and get good evals but don't even know their own job and somehow go years avoiding doing anything related to their actual job by volunteering for every command thing ever.

For E4-E6 sure, but based on every chief package training I've ever sat through (formal and informal) having more than one collateral is normally seen as a negative because how can you be leading sailors and doing your job as a collateral whore?

It's really hilarious because everything everyone tells junior enlisted about how to get good evals is essentially the opposite of what the board looks at.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 16, 2015

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Chief boards change their story every drat cycle.

Maybe. The training was by three matter chiefs that are sitting or have sat the board.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

krispykremessuck posted:

So in the Navy eval process there's a board comprised of chiefs and/or officers at a command that may or may not be in or even anywhere near your chain, and quite certainly not within your rating dealing with your evals? Am I reading that right?

Yes but if the chiefs that do know you are worth a poo poo they'll fight for you on the board assuming you're not a piece of poo poo.

The biggest problem I've seen from ranking boards I've sat is no one likes making GBS threads all over people that should get poo poo on. If the other firsts are pushing for someone to get an mp or ep because on paper they look good but in real life they are awful at their job (for whatever reason ) I'll ask them if this is a sailor they'd want as their acting lpo if they were a chief. Most of the time the answer is a no punctuated with a lot of buts.

If someone can't do the job of a first class why set them up for it? If they get kicked out for HYT who loving cares, thats what the system is their to do. Instead I'm going to end up paying the retirements of a bunch of fucks that get intimidated by the SNs they're instructing, and will make a mess in the fleet.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 16, 2015

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which of course means that rankings end up a reflection of which chief in the mess has the most pull.

It can, yea. Which is why it's important to be known positively outside your chain. It's a really easy game to play. The people that fight it are the angsty ones who get Ps for days.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Anyone know about reserves chief selection boards? I'm curious if they'd see all of my active duty stuff and be like gently caress yea or if they'd be all he hasn't been in the reserves gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

Make it first time up and the only reserve eval I had was a non-observed transfer from hell-on-earth AKA Operational Support Unit to an actual unit.

Good to hear. It would be pretty hilarious if this happens to me. I imagine a lot of selres chief packages are completely hosed due to one weekend a month of dealing with it.

• Locked thread