Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Shift work sucks. I'm living outside of normal human existence. Plus Goose Creek. Nuff said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Shoulda gone to marf, provided you're a nuke.

Glad I'm not dealing with the snow though, plus MARF seems to be break weekly.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

UoI posted:

I went to MEPS today. Passed all my physicals and tests, chose ABE, signed my contract and swore in. How badly did I gently caress up with choosing my rating?

You hosed up hard. Your rate will never go on smaller ships. The best Navy is on smaller ship like DDG, CG, and heck even MCM and LCS. You will be dirty and feel like a second rate citizen servicing the sports cars of the worst of the worst nobles, pilots.

If I were I'd go FC, ET, IS, IT, or gently caress even LS. These rates will give you the maximum possibility in assignments. FCs and ETs have a lot of sub specialties but if you were AEGIS FC then you will be treated like a god so as you're not a complete moron.

Stay away from engineering unless it's nuke. Nuke sucks dick in terms of lifestyle but gives you the best skillets to transition to a good job in nuclear industry if you qualify Engineering Watch Supervisor prior to getting out.

Also if you join the Navy and never experience DDG then I feel sorry for you.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

KetTarma posted:

This is becoming less true as more nuclear plants shut down. I know a few people that say their plants have done away with directSRO completely and a few that only hire EOOWs now.

Doesn't change the fact that EWS is the one of the few truly worthwhile certifications you can get from straight enlisting with no degree or any other experience. Nuclear industry is poised to make a comeback back as congress debates some key issues regarding licensing. Energy demand signal will continue to go up, so despite current fluctuations in gas prices and relative volatility in other carbon fuel sources such as coal, nuclear power will come back.

Those who have experience in operations will be first ones to get hired before they train new operators.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

The SWO is too drat strong in me.

SWO is literally the Navy. It's god's work that others don't have the balls to do it. We're making miracles happen every loving day on nothing. COCOMs are hungry idiotic political beasts in peace time and their demand signal for their "missions" literally destroys the fleets and the Sailors. SWOs have to make that poo poo happen. There's a reason why at the Pentagon there's a saying that if it's a particularly difficult task with little guidance or reference to go from "give it a SWO." We get poo poo done, it may not be pretty and people's lives might suck but WE GET poo poo DONE. All this with sequestration, reduced manning, retarded procurement, BUPERS, OPNAV, and a million other BS.
:cmon:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

SpaceJustice posted:

You mean their division ISN'T going to fall apart once they leave?

Lol. Fuckers who were "all stars" but never trained others or improved the organization are just as worthless as the dirt bags. If you're that selfish why join to serve. Go make your mark on wall street or sales or some poo poo.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Does the NEX carry the new Nintendo 3DS XL?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Only reason is for the tax advantage, otherwise it's depressing walking into a NEX.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Vriess posted:

Wait a week before payday and buy one from a dumb boot gently caress who needs cash to make their car payment.

I'm an officer now so can't be hanging around the barracks looking for cheap deals from desperate boots. But reminds of a story when I was in A school in Great Lakes where I bought a PS2 and 15 games for $50 from an alcoholic who lived on my deck. He was desperate for a fix and nobody was interested in buying PS2 and a bunch of JRPGs. This was back in 2006, so it was a great loving deal. When I left I sold my PS2 and all games for $200.

What gets junior Sailors the most trucks, single moms, or alcohol?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Do people actually use the beds of the trucks they buy?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

If only you had a Raptor then snow aint poo poo.
:smuggo:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

On a different note does it make sense to keep contributing to TSP if I plan on separating in 3 years? The expense ratio in TSP is the best deal out there but I won't be able to make contributions after getting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

Yes it makes sense to keep contributing until you can't.

I use Vanguard, the ratios are only beaten by TSP.

Yeah I use Vanguard for my Roth ira as well. Gotta start building my grad school/looking for job fund as well.

• Locked thread