Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Completing overdue GMTs in January should also count for January's GMTs IMO. I just finished Combatting Trafficking in Persons last week and now I am on the dink list again because that was 2014 training or whatever.

How'd it end up a year overdue? It's not like the training you took is going to change just with you taking the course again. There's some retarded poo poo from the simplest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I've been thinking of taking leave for every duty day for the rest of the year. Would still have enough saved up for a month off as a New Year's gift to myself.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

UoI posted:

I went to MEPS today. Passed all my physicals and tests, chose ABE, signed my contract and swore in. How badly did I gently caress up with choosing my rating?

Only ABEs I've met were either tools or dicks. Hope you have fun with slingshots or whatever it is they do. Might see you around this base too.

My new LPO somehow thinks that our conversation made me rethink getting out, tomorrow is going to be an awkward day.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

UoI posted:

Sounds good, tbh. Shooting slingshots is great. The only other rates available was ABH, iirc, and logistics.

Just trying to justify the ruined next few years of my life.

Could've probably waited a bit and seen new ones. ABF, MA, and BM were the primary ones the recruiter was trying to push on me. If you would have held out for something else they would have probably called you a couple of weeks later to let you know one of the rates you wanted was open. And even if they don't call back, you're still free.

Lmao, I can't be a MA, I'd likely end up getting in trouble like some of my friends just by being an rear end in a top hat/jackass. Pecker checker is also not one of my aspiring goals for a career, especially ending up at another hospital.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

UoI posted:

The only job I really knew of was Corpsman and I decided not to do that, so I had no idea what kind of job to go for. When I read what ABE does it seemed really interesting, so I went for it instead of waiting for something else and losing that. :smith:

Meh, its not too bad. Most of it is how you view it. The people abobe and below you can probably make you hate work, but when it comes to the actual job some of them can be cool.

For skatest job I vote YN or PS. You just lose or gently caress up paperwork and write yourself up for a NAM over something a civilian probably fixed.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

It's a shame how great most jobs in the navy sound considering the reality.

My detailor got a hold of me yesterday with orders to San Diego which would be great except gently caress the navy, so I suppose I get to go in and talk to the career counselor about making my prd match my adsd and let him know I'm getting out. It actually feels really weird knowing that this is the point of no return. I'd feel a lot better about getting out if I didn't have a house and two kids.

Suppose job hunting starts soon!

Keep the faith, you'll find something! The biggest deterrent a lot of my patients that get out have is their mentality, just think clearly and research your options and you'll find a thing. Doing this for so long a lot of people let the fear of being out strikes them on their rear end.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm still mad you're forced into meal cards even if you don't eat at the galley on base

I knew some dudes working some weird schedules that couldn't even get it

Yeah, or you could submit a chit that would likely end up nowhere/get told to put in for BAH.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Both my past ships also had First Class messes, which I think is taking things a bit too far.

(they weren't separate rooms, but the First Classes just were bullies who didn't let anyone sit at a particular table)

Heh, my friend in Camp Pendleton went and sat at the Chief's tables once, they were only separated from the rest of the room by a small, collapsible wall. He thought it was an area for people to go eat when they wanted to be away from everyone else. That ended very well.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Selling leave is the bad option, right?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wait so there's a part of the Navy that runs on actual work, not volunteer hours and classes from University of Phoenix?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I get the worst roommates. Just walked in on my roomies giving the D to someone. Seriously he knew when my lunch hour was.

Didn't even offer to Eiffel Tower it.

Dick.

Didn't even fist bump a bro. LingcodKilla do you think comraderie in are Navy is a loving game?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

NWUs are the stupidest poo poo and I refuse to wear them most of the time. Now I hear we're getting lighter/different versions of NWUs this year, and new coveralls for ships, where NWUs will not be worn as often (are they worn on ships? I don't even know what people look like on ships, maybe they meant.. ship... shore.. sailors?)

I usually wear NSUs with the sweater constantly. I hate how business casual NSUs make us look, all I want is a god drat long sleeve option. Are we getting a joint uniform or what? I kept hearing words about that.

We used to wear NSUs daily and then they switched it to like every Friday or something. NWUs all day every day. I hear the dudes on the ships use the NWUs, except for some that are like Coveralls every day. Probably has to do moreso with your job. Now that I think about it, I have never worn my coveralls since they were issued to me.

LingcodKilla, they used your pillows to support her rear end the moment you left.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Hope the Navy got you something nice.

I was presented the gift of knowledge of some of my old friends. 3 separated after Mast, 4 getting out with their early outs, and 1 that's getting admin sep'd and is trying to fight it. One of the dudes that got kicked out for pot 3 years back got a job with a fire department in northern Cali after apparently hitchhiking with hippies for 3 years in Alaska fixing up camp spots and poo poo. His life has been one massive fun adventure since getting the boot.

18 hour watch has me reflecting on all this.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

I know you think you're too smart for this poo poo, but you're possibly the most naive individual in GiP.

I was just thinking how lucky they were in some cases and how the range of what you're told in the military isn't always true. If anything, I just view my time in as getting the job done regardless of what someone else says and making it easier for the next guy that takes my place with a new SOP that explains everything in depth without them having to run into as many walls as I did learning everything.

Board chat
Seems that every board depends independently of whoever is running it and not what people widely believe things are to be run, gasp! You need to charge hard and dance to the tune. :chiefsay:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

Panda aren't you an HMSN? Or HM3?

SN, with everyone ending up in my clinic usually bitching about how they missed a board and explaining what theyre told versus what made it high up. I piece my image of what happens higher up at the other commands based on how some of the Chiefs and first classes that go through the ranking boards, ship and shore.

MML, thats what I love about one of the dudes I met this past week. Got to talking about evals and he told me about how when he was a part of ranking the E4 evals he would shoot down people with loads of volunteer and collateral stuff because more often than not they failed at jobs/duties that mattered.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 16, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

That said, on to more important stuff. Check out my new dogge!

Give this dogge an EP for fluffy cuteness.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Base security was hilarious today.

Guy with scanner gun gives ID back to this dude in a Dodge pickup. MA standing behind him asks the guy with the scanner gun why he let the Dodge guy through the gate with a dog in a government vehicle.

Scanner Gun: Oh, I thought it was like his seeing eye dog.

MA: THEN WHY THE gently caress WOULD HE BE DRIVING!??!

Scanner Gun: I don't know I guess the dog barks when he's about to crash into something? *shrugs*

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Just got called on to duty to drive from 2200 to 0200. Thankfully class starts at 0600 and we just got some reserve admiral visiting my class so it's not like I have to be fresh eyed and bushy tailed.

Supposedly my class got picked for a visit because we have two reservists and its a reserve admiral.

I hope he doesn't notice the room is 85. They moved out the fan for his visit. Perhaps they will fix the AC instead?

Didnt even know they had reserve admirals. FTS officers a thing? Just seems weird that there would be a weekend Admiral.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

FTS is not the same as the reserves. Maybe you ought to spend less time bitching about the Navy and more time learning about it? Of course the reserves (across all services) have FOGOs, who do you think manages the reserve forces?

More like I had instructors in A school that had never really been around FTS people and just lumped them in by saying that they were reserves with special poo poo attached like a smaller pool of competition with higher advancement rate. Figured reserves were managed at some point by active components, didnt pay much mind because Ill never have to deal with them unless theyre on special orders for an appointment or administrative reasons. Beyond basic medical stuff, I have no reason to look up anything about them.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Still need 5 more! C'mon, PandaSmores, you know you want one.

Question: Isn't one of you goons a Legal type with overseas experience? Demi Moore? Anyway, I have an overseas specific legal question - not advice, and I'm not in trouble. Hit me up, please?

I'd buy one but my Tesla might get repo'd if I don't make these payments. At least I'm able to charge it up at a friend's house!

Zero were sold hahahahaha!

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 27, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

So.... apparently we are having a captains mast with around 15 underage drinking sailors. Go Corry! Somehow I doubt its a record.

drat, at Great Lakes we had about 20 dudes go to Mast for running a train on someone at a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Was it rape or just frat?

Frat, but our CO and the base CO counted it as rape since she was super drunk even though they had started before they had been drinking. People just kept jumping in and some people went to Mast simply because they didn't stop it. Oh hotel parties. I think she was engaged too and her husband to be was a reservist off in bumfuck wherever the hell she was from.

• Locked thread