Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

So everyone says to not sell back your leave, which I agree with...but what if you just worked until your eaos and then sell it back? Doesn't that make more sense since youre making more money that way? Assuming you don't ahve a job you'd be working at during terminal of course.

We can discuss on skype later, but the biggest issue that could come up is that if you file for unemployment, they are going to count the extra money from selling your leave against you, so you would have to wait however many weeks before you could start drawing your benefits.

I wouldn't make a decision on leave one way or the other yet, the best possible thing you could do honestly is if you got a local job, would be to double dip and start your new job while on leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

pathetic gbs homo posted:

Long time no see bros. So currently, my EAOS is December of this year and my plan is to use my GI bill and start school the fall of 2016, which leaves me with about an eight month gap in between...last night I was on watch discussing my plan with a surprisingly level headed chief who floated the idea of extending my contract for six months (which would put my EAOS at the mid-point of the ship's next deployment).

It would undeniably be crazy amounts of money up until I started school again and honestly I'm a little nervous about employment prospects once I get out (currently stationed in San Diego). Obviously I wouldn't find anything right off the bat that would pay as well as E-4 with 4 years' sea pay, but I'm also conflicted about the idea of literally putting a price on my 'freedom' and another six months of doing a job I'm completely sick of. I've heard of people doing similar things and collecting unemployment in that gap, who also stress that I'll want the downtime to readjust to non-Navy living.

This is a tough one for me. What do you guys think I should do?

If you are in a technical rate you can probably get a job for 40-50k starting pretty easy. If you are one of those poor bastards that shuffles papers or paints stuff it might be harder, but I know that at one point you could get a pretty decent job working on a tug boat in San Diego if you had any experience doing deck seaman stuff and you can English good.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

It's a selfish mindset to have, but the Navy has to convince me to stay in, not the other way around. Throwing a big fat SRB is a good start, but we also hang around a lot of overpaid contractors that fill our heads with ideas (and sometimes try to under-the-table poach us). I honestly never commit to the "im definitely getting out!" mentality, because life can always change. But I will eventually come to a point where I need to make that decision, and I'll have an eval of my own for the Navy. I really can say I haven't really had that bad of an experience, and my leadership does a pretty good job and makes fair judgments. But sometimes you can do everything right and still not get a perfect evaluation. If the Navy can't suit my needs I might have to give it a P.

That's probably the most mature way to handle the whole situation, honestly. Things change all the time, maybe some crazy flip bitch will get pregnant with your baby and you will be too scared to push her down the stairs, so it's always good to keep that door open. Definitely make sure that you keep on good terms with your contractors. I didn't pursue work with the DOD or and contracts when I separated, but I would like to think that I would have maybe stood some chance getting a job if I would have tried since I wasn't a shithead to the contractors we had around.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol her flight got delayed till Tuesday and the airline won't pay for a hotel for the two nights.
He payed for the hotel on the airlines property and is waiting a few more days to carry through his plan.

So does he have a Mustang or a Raptor?

• Locked thread