Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I went to MEPS today. Passed all my physicals and tests, chose ABE, signed my contract and swore in. How badly did I gently caress up with choosing my rating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

You are going to work your rear end off for sure. You'll either be on the flight deck or working in one of the catapult or arresting gear rooms. You'll be hot, sweaty and greasy pretty much every day. Over to you how you feel about that.

Sounds good, tbh. Shooting slingshots is great. The only other rates available was ABH, iirc, and logistics.

Just trying to justify the ruined next few years of my life.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pandasmores posted:

Could've probably waited a bit and seen new ones. ABF, MA, and BM were the primary ones the recruiter was trying to push on me. If you would have held out for something else they would have probably called you a couple of weeks later to let you know one of the rates you wanted was open. And even if they don't call back, you're still free.

Lmao, I can't be a MA, I'd likely end up getting in trouble like some of my friends just by being an rear end in a top hat/jackass. Pecker checker is also not one of my aspiring goals for a career, especially ending up at another hospital.

The only job I really knew of was Corpsman and I decided not to do that, so I had no idea what kind of job to go for. When I read what ABE does it seemed really interesting, so I went for it instead of waiting for something else and losing that. :smith:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really am happy with my decision. I couldn't think of anything else as interesting as SHOOTING JETS WITH MOTHERFUCKING STEAM CATAPULTS.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

But seriously, ABEs are permanently covered in exhaust and grease.

I'm actually (kinda) okay with this.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, it really isn't a bad job. It's a lot of hard work but it's on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. My personal opinion is that I'd never want to join the military, have to put up with all the bullshit and regulations and come out of it with "I filed papers in an office for four years."

Plus there are no bad carrier ports.

I really love hard, physical labor. Being active is a hobby of mine and 90% of the reason I chose the Navy was for the travel. If I don't like it I'll just attempt SEAL school. :v:

Quick edit: Oh, just curious: if you washout of SEAL school does the Navy make you do a lovely job? A couple people have brought that up but it just sounds dumb.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dingleberry posted:

Start your autobiography now; option Bradley Cooper to play you.

With any luck the Russians will invade Alaska and future you will lead a band comprised of patriotic brown bears and grizzled bush pilots against the Reds.

Future you high-fiving compatriot after successful raid. I'd grow a beard though to blend in better and add some skull patches to tactical members-only jacket.
Failing all else there's this.

If you have a troubled-youth backstory then swing your book about succeeding in spite of your history.

:swoon: My life will have meant nothing if this does not come true.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

Lazy Navy recruiters at my university's career fair weren't even wearing uniforms, just Navy polo shirts. They could have tried to impress terrible undergrad students wear SDBs or even khakis.

Don't they know by now that 90% of people join for the uniform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

We are on a three sailor liberty restriction. Since I figured he was gonna dump her after this trip I offered but he said no.

He's really planning on dumping her after she gets home.

Good sailor.

This plan is awful and mean. I approve.

• Locked thread