Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
It's the 2nd for christ's sake, you wouldn't wait an extra day to update your NFAAS :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Or the classic; SN Wysocki and the Hotel Party Gangbang or, How I Learned to Stop Regretting It and Just Call the SAPR

Analogical
May 20, 2013

When in reality half of everyone let random people tailgate from the smoke pit.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

One time I had a dream there was an accident on the 495 and I had to call my LPO and leave a message.

Shore duty, man.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

being terrible at your job and getting assigned a collateral? BPO, command career counselor, etc

My favorite part is when people who are terrible at their job get high-speed about their bullshit collateral, then talk down to you the second you're dink on a GMT like you're the piece of poo poo.

quote:

"Ugh... you only did three of your five hours of language maintenance this week?"

"You never completed a single qualification or training beyond your JQS, spend 90% of your duty hours harassing other sailors and contribute nothing to America."

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Got off the phone with the 5th special program this week being told "Sorry bro, we only take CTRs, CTTs, CTMs and CTNs. Navy doesn't let us hire CTIs"

"But I've never worked as linguist!! I'm an SME and instructor in what you do!!"

"Sorry brother ~hangup~"

Well look at that, my last gently caress just flew out the window. And I'll probably be adsep'd for my language scores despite being highly qualified at the job they gave me after DLI. I know this is whining, but it was a really hard punch in the gut.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

My drunkenness overcomes. I'm less than two miles from the guy that just told me to screw myself. I instructed two of his personnel. such is the world

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Get out, go civ.

That's 15 months away. It just sucks hard to be rejected over the phone and email that many times in one week. I've got con job offers up the rear end, I'll just keep doing as I do.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 7, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug, I've always wondered. Do the NIOCs have wardrooms/chiefs mess onsite anywhere? I heard a rumor that the Navy scammed the agency out of some space and had one in the 90s but didn't know about where it stood past that.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm a nerd, see if you can guess why this amuses me.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

It's at most chain bookstores still. I got talked to about having it during a health and wellness at DLI once near the end because they thought if I have that magazine I might be that 4chan guy from the news. :shlick:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

What else are we supposed to bitch about? I'm trying to get an ARCOM here :regd09:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

In other news, Netflix added Spartacus this week.

10/10 best depiction of BUD/s yet

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I'll probably go Army weekend warrior noble after I get out, that way I fulfill the family legacy in the laziest way possible, can still look down on the great unwashed one weekend a month, and can carry a sense of entitlement over every other civilian and former enlisted vet I'll ever work with.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

"Boy do I hate pine cones. Why, just the sight of those devils gets me steamed!"

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Talk to me when you are ~navy things~ and just came off the ~navy work~ and are expected to do the ~more navy work?~ the next night and there's a ~gay magazine~ all day so God loving forbid you be in your ~navy place~ for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours.

For the other IDCers

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

You think that's something, get a gung-ho Boatswain's Mate talking about how BMs are "literally the Navy."

then goes to OCS, becomes SWO

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Suddenly, 8 9ARB CTI2s I know are getting surface orders. CC emails me to say it's time to get another look. I can only imagine we're sweeping p-ways out there. One guy is a shipboard career counselor (???) we don't know anything about the navy someone help us, I've heard SWOs are like animals and the ships are made out of BMs

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

Wouldn't you be pulling DIRSUP in SSES?

Yeah, except two of them who aren't searchable online at work anymore at all. They're the ones that are seemingly going to be working out-of-rate, not sure how that worked, I just heard the initial whining today on facebook because a few of them were trying to homestead.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Applewhite posted:

#JustNavyThings

That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're the first guy in line for the gate to turn his headlights off for the sentry and everyone behind you starts to turn theirs off, too.

That feeling when driving out the gate someone turns their lights on after you flash yours at them

Analogical fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 12, 2015

Analogical
May 20, 2013

BovineAdapter posted:

ArLing surface DIRSUP has always been the most boring thing on the planet. In the Med we were never close enough to get anything of substance but the trips were only about a month at a whack and you'd normally pick the ship up/get off the ship in nice Mediterranean ports. In 5th FLT, I spent more time in the Arabian Sea/HOA area reading pocket lint from the hadjis on Pakistani or Iranian dhows. About the best those kids can hope for is to get SW on a small boy or SW/AW if they're on a gator/carrier. Other than that, it's 6 months of boredom. The only thing worse than that is riding boats out of NIOC GA. Day-long flights to Bahrain (oh boy, only been there a million times) with the obligatory Dubai port call. Or maybe Fujairah if you get really unlucky.

Out of NIOC GA is what I'm looking at, so noted. I'd heard along the same lines from a few other DIRSUPers down here. It's what the detailer is handing out right now though, so I'm guessing a bunch of people just got out. All this ambiguity in what I'm going to be doing is killing me. I thought about seeing if I can swap to aircrew out of GA, but even that seems to be boiling down to nothing now that we can do the work a P-3 crew would by just streaming all the data back to shore, which is basically what 1/3rd of GA's sailors do right now.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

College seems like forever away when I can barely get two classes done a semester. I see my estimated graduation date and I weep.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

NWUs are the stupidest poo poo and I refuse to wear them most of the time. Now I hear we're getting lighter/different versions of NWUs this year, and new coveralls for ships, where NWUs will not be worn as often (are they worn on ships? I don't even know what people look like on ships, maybe they meant.. ship... shore.. sailors?)

I usually wear NSUs with the sweater constantly. I hate how business casual NSUs make us look, all I want is a god drat long sleeve option. Are we getting a joint uniform or what? I kept hearing words about that.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Well I guess they're not going to deduct my 10 months of TDY in 2014 from my IDW DNQ date, even though they sent me somewhere I can't get IDW because I'm the only sailor. I got a nice email explaining that when I get back on 8MAR, that I have until 1APR to get IDW or I'll get "Significant Problems" for an eval.

"You're our most technically diverse and highly qualified sailor in the division, I'm afraid you'll have to separate for it"

Analogical
May 20, 2013

But sir, how else will I bitch? I'm trying to get a NAM here :chiefsay:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Dingleberry posted:

So they're talking 'bout opening a navy base/stationing ship(s) in Australia.
Don't they have trannies for Assholes on liberty to murder so the locals rise up against a U.S. occupation?

Those tasty aboriginee ladyboys

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Make sure you lace the dildo cookies with laxitives. I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but it's something I'd like to see.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm probably just going to send him some addressed stamped envelopes so it's easier for him to send things back. Poor sap got made yeoman.

At least he's going to be in stellar shape when he's out.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Laundry was probably getting poo poo on more than anyone else in my division and were the source of 100% of our compartment hits. I actually got pulled out of pistol training to get beat along with the laundry POs for our first compartment hit because it made my Chief lose a bet.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Don't we get points for collateral duties already? I think the best it does for most people is just get them face time with the Chiefs that also don't like work. i.e. the Chiefs that are in control of most things.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

This all sounds eerily opposite of how it is in CTI land for E5/E6 advancement, if I had to guess I'd say CTN too as we're the only CTs that are almost 100% national mission only. I don't know anything about the chief's board. Collateral duties are one of the only things that guarantees you promotions and good evals, especially MP or EP. I've always been annoyed with the fact that it's impossible to relay the impact or difficulty of a project when we have to butcher it into an unclassified blurb. There are pre-made blurbs we use and we just tweak the numbers in them.

People with multiple collaterals though always have stuffed-full evals and the only thing work-related that matters is your language scores, even if you're not a language analyst. Most of the 9ARB CTI1s I know were/are terrible at actual mission. The DoD notices this quickly and lets them move to have more time to play Navy and they padded up their evals enough as E5s to always get the EPs, or makes them mission managers, which the Navy loves (and actively brags about) because of how it seems like a leadership role when most of the time it's just someone who takes attendance and answers the phone after-hours for civilian leadership.

The DoD moves crap sailors to MM positions when they notice they can't keep pace with mission pretty quickly where I work now, though it isn't always that way. I remember when the middle east first blew up again this year and we were pulling 6-12s how the dirtbag MMs were still getting three day weekends and reduced hours. One time the branch chief did find out that four sailors were spending 90% of their shifts studying for IDW in a conference room and immediately moved all of them to the MM office and replaced them with newbies.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

I think I'm pretty well balanced, if not skewed a lot more towards operations. But I'm also not of the opinion that the Navy owes me anything beyond your basics (healthcare, education, housing allowance, etc). I've already achieved what I wanted to inside the Navy, and my next ambitions go beyond what they can offer. Getting an EP/promoting would be a nice perk, but it will change very little about my future in the long run.

Ditto on the quality of life standard. I really like the operational side too, and at E5 that's the best time to get a chance to focus solely on that. E6s seem to immediately become workplace supers or LPOs and I haven't met too many people that were too happy with the change, but again that's probably CT cultural for those of us that really like national. My last Chief reminded all of us once that the fast promotions are more about the Navy giving us money so we won't get poached by contractors to curb the attrition rate nobody seems to be able to solve.

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that for most of us, and I swear I'm not trying to be snotty or anything about this and BP correct me if I'm wrong. For me, Navy leadership can't know what I do even on a basic level and has no idea where or what I've been doing for the past ten months to a year due to it all being compartmented (and naturally they aren't read-on) even though I'm still in their division. All they know is I'm always TDY to other locations and they see me every few months for two weeks or so and I'm never in uniform. They own me administratively, navy-wise, so they handle my evals and keep track of my DOR and everything else still. It can differ sometimes, but working in the same office you'll have people who are administratively in completely different divisions that the DoD moves around arbitrarily to different shops, so the Navy has a hard time keeping track of their sailors because sometimes there's no strict 1:1 match-up of Navy Division:DoD Office, the DoD just sees personnel and an opening and moves them.

I feel like this creates a bit of an issue when it does come to comparing the sailors to each other, and it's not the Navy's fault it's just how it ended up becoming over the past 20 years. There are some sailors who the DoD keeps in the same spots for whatever reason and there's others they send places, if you're the latter you usually get great training and travel but suffer due to a lack of facetime and Navy-time with your chain, and 80% of the time when they send you somewhere it's with the understanding you won't go home and talk about it much less write it up for a performance eval. But then when I get new orders, I could be the person who stays in one spot, so thats when I get to build my evals back up. The trick is just going with the flow.

Every now and then Chief/DIVO will mention off-handedly that the Navy is trying to find a way to create a separate mechanism for classified evals, but that it's stuck in the mud since all evals are sent out of the command to personnel without clearances who wouldn't like that we were graded based on another document they weren't allowed to see. I can see how that could have big issues of it's own with nepotism and fraud, so really we all just keep rolling the D20 in spookville.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I get to drive back home tomorrow to see dogge, I'm curious if she'll remember at this point since she's lived with my girlfriend over half her life now (2 next month).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I'll just add to what Mr Nice and MML said by saying I've sat on many ranking boards and never has collateral duties been anything other than a tiebreaker between two sailors that were doing really, really well at their primary job.

That said, on to more important stuff. Check out my new dogge!

I'm more jazzed about that shag carpet :wink:

• Locked thread