Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Analogical posted:

It's the 2nd for christ's sake, you wouldn't wait an extra day to update your NFAAS :chiefsay:

lol you said cock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

UoI posted:

I went to MEPS today. Passed all my physicals and tests, chose ABE, signed my contract and swore in. How badly did I gently caress up with choosing my rating?

Navy Thread: The Next Generation

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

There was a dude on the Lincoln who had a very specific NEC for some equipment that never broke. He was his own LPO and his shop was a stylish closet with a sink on the 03 level that he basically lived in. Had it decked out with a huge flatscreen and GGR and ran an electronics repair business out of it.

I think I still have his business card floating around somewhere.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Wait, officers didn't just have their BAS deducted while they were on the ship? What a scummy loving classist bullshit system.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

The justification I got when I asked about the meal sign-in system was that they didn't want to gently caress around with starting/stopping the Officer BAS every time we pulled into port because the pay system wasn't reliable and it would end up with people's pay getting hosed to hell and back. I don't argue with or blame them for that particular decision.

I guess pay getting hosed up is totally cool for enlisted, though. Cool.

(I'm not actually super irate about any of this, I just think it's ridiculous.)

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

Enlisted people attached to a ship didn't get BAS, in-port or otherwise. Unless they went TDY >30 days or were on leave.

As a former enlisted person who went on a ship as part of a detachment and had BAS suspended and reinstated each time (even for periods of, like, a week), I think it's dumb that they handle it differently at the officer level.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

I don't really disagree with you, but would you trust an E2 with four kids to write you a check?

No, but I think the opposite approach should be taken. They're already taking pay automatically from enlisteds, why not just do it across the board?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The way to solve the mess bill issue is just set up everyone with a deductible account on the ship. If you eat, you pay. Deduct it automatically from people's pay and just give everyone BAS.

You'd end up with dudes starving themselves to pay off their truck.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I'm pretty sure it's an inferiority complex that manifests itself in manufactured tradition since we basically stole everything else from the Royal Navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

the tradition probably goes back to the lash. you wouldn't want to be friends with the guys you were supposed to lash. also, bring back the lash

only if we can bring back rum and sodomy

• Locked thread