Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Howard Phillips posted:

Stay away from engineering unless it's nuke. Nuke sucks dick in terms of lifestyle but gives you the best skillets to transition to a good job in nuclear industry if you qualify Engineering Watch Supervisor prior to getting out.

This is becoming less true as more nuclear plants shut down. I know a few people that say their plants have done away with directSRO completely and a few that only hire EOOWs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

pathetic gbs homo posted:

Long time no see bros. So currently, my EAOS is December of this year and my plan is to use my GI bill and start school the fall of 2016, which leaves me with about an eight month gap in between...last night I was on watch discussing my plan with a surprisingly level headed chief who floated the idea of extending my contract for six months (which would put my EAOS at the mid-point of the ship's next deployment).

It would undeniably be crazy amounts of money up until I started school again and honestly I'm a little nervous about employment prospects once I get out (currently stationed in San Diego). Obviously I wouldn't find anything right off the bat that would pay as well as E-4 with 4 years' sea pay, but I'm also conflicted about the idea of literally putting a price on my 'freedom' and another six months of doing a job I'm completely sick of. I've heard of people doing similar things and collecting unemployment in that gap, who also stress that I'll want the downtime to readjust to non-Navy living.

This is a tough one for me. What do you guys think I should do?

Start school in the summer (or spring). Almost every college offers summer classes (or first semester classes in the spring). You'll have a non-traditional degree plan like every other veteran.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Private sector only survives due to strict segregation between supervisors and lower management during lunch

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

pathetic gbs homo posted:

Unmarried. According to the website this uni only accepts applicants for a fall semester program. I didn't think it was that dumb an idea.

Ok, go to local community college until fall then transfer in. Coordinate with both registrars to ensure you are taking the classes you need.

What will happen if you need to do something in-person while on deployment and miss an important deadline because you were doing 5 knots to nowhere in the Atlantic with internet secured?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

This past drill weekend I had a 7 hour training on ensuring that my junior sailors do not drink and drive on the 28 days a month that I do not see them.

selres.txt

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

That sounds grand! I can't wait.

Its not a bad gig. Show up, gently caress off for 8 hours, go home, show up, gently caress off for 8 hours, go home. Collect money, pay it all back for TRICARE-lovely-edition.

Once a year spend either 2 weeks at a school or 2 weeks at a place where people don't want you to be so they ignore you as best they can and just have you clean something or sit around until 4pm.

Also everyone around you is somehow super motivated about SERVING COUNTRY BY DOING NKO COURSES OORAH

Every month you have GMT on either sexual harassment, drugs, alcohol, or hazing. If youre high ranking, you go to meetings where people talk about metrics, rankings, and accomplishments as though everyone under them is not currently engaged in Candy Crush or Facebook.

It is the silliest job ever but I do it because SOMEONE has to stand in front of a room of people and read a Wikipedia article on the Battle of Midway for the 3rd time this year. (The last training I had to give was reading some random COs bio/resume off of their unit's webpage to a group of 20 people as training. I have no idea why or how it counted as "Navy Heritage Training" but :chiefsay: said to do it)

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

How lovely is the reservist version of tricare?

That sounds like the most ridiculous poo poo ever but I could probably do 380 days of it for money when I'm 60.

I'm legit scared of going to a NOC where everyone is super motivated and there's more dumb navy poo poo, but it really sucks being in for ten years without getting something (other than my kids college mostly paid for). I think my decision will kind of hinge on how my sleep apnea test goes. I've got twelve months before I'm out so there's no rush.

It's basically TRICARE standard. You pay co-pays and it doesnt cover civilian bills fully. I just got a 250$ bill for physical therapy for surgery from an injury I got while on drill. Go figure, TRICARE refuses to pay it even though I have a LoD saying I'm supposed to get 100% coverage. I have to file an appeal and I'm imagining that'll take a year. I've had about a thousand dollars of bills they haven't covered so far. Oh well, at least my wife gets her super expensive medicine for free on base.

Here is a legit problem I've seen that is also selres.txt:
Our old LPO is an awesome guy that had an awesome job making six figures doing technical work on rotating shiftwork. Everything was fine for years until we got a new chief that resented him. That chief worked in a factory on the assembly line and I think was jealous that his LPO quadrupled his yearly income. Chief constantly poo poo on the guy every time he had to miss drill due to his work schedule. Chief stated that "the only reason to miss drill is a death in the family."

Eventually, the chief replaced our LPO with someone else that outright didnt want the job. About a year later, our awesome ex-LPO that did 75% of the paperwork for the unit has gone inactive and now our paperwork process has fallen to utter poo poo because the one guy that both knew how to and loved doing the work isn't there anymore. I feel really bad for ex-LPO because he was super motivated and Loved The Navy. Now our E-6 leadership is a guy that's a few months from retiring, the current LPO that wants to turn it over, and me. I'm 3 months from being able to hop on corporate healthcare and will probably be routing an IRR-transfer chit either in May or around Christmas once I sort out the financials.

Another problem: We have several super motivated E-5s that love going on AT because it pays better than working as a cashier or whatever. Several of them are approaching HYT because their rates are downsizing and E-6 promotion is 0 people per year. Their choices are to either crossrate or be forced out. The rates they're eligible to crossrate into are all overmanned also. They get told every month that they only have 12 months left to find a new rate but every month CMSID tells them there's nowhere for them to go. They ask me for advice and all I can tell them is to study and hope their rate opens up or to retake the ASVAB and hope for a high enough score to get something that's open. Hell, I'm in an overmanned rate too and our advancements are between 6 and 8 a year.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

My last captain had in his standing orders that you had to get at least 4 hours of sleep a night. He recommended 5. If you had to assume the watch with less than 4, you had to get permission from him first. He didn't like being woke up for it, but it was one of those things he was on top of. He encouraged us to catch naps anytime we could during the day on nights that we would be up like that.

:staredog:

You got to sleep every night??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Analogical posted:

College seems like forever away when I can barely get two classes done a semester. I see my estimated graduation date and I weep.

Analogical posted:

Well I guess they're not going to deduct my 10 months of TDY in 2014 from my IDW DNQ date, even though they sent me somewhere I can't get IDW because I'm the only sailor. I got a nice email explaining that when I get back on 8MAR, that I have until 1APR to get IDW or I'll get "Significant Problems" for an eval.

"You're our most technically diverse and highly qualified sailor in the division, I'm afraid you'll have to separate for it"

:911:

Guess which one of these objectives matters more once you EAOS.

• Locked thread