Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Missing a movement was a huge fear of mine as well

I miss being rocked to sleep a little. Not so much the 95 degree protein fart ballsack musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

being terrible at your job and getting assigned a collateral? BPO, command career counselor, etc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm still mad you're forced into meal cards even if you don't eat at the galley on base

I knew some dudes working some weird schedules that couldn't even get it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Don't forget the PO1 mess/area

GOAT LOCKER DO NOT ENTER MUST KNOCK AND GREET APPROPRIATELY

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Surprised whatever tradition it stemmed from
didn't evolve into saluting them. Hell I'm sure the foundation/history of it wasn't half as dumb and frat like it is now

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think it's funny like the history of officers is that they were literate educated upper class folk with money who could buy their own ship or w/e and everyone else was legit peasants. Everything stems from this "speak when spoke to only" etc poo poo. Like they're loving royalty (I guess then they were in a way)

So the Military keeps all those traditions. I remember reading the blue jackets manual and it said some bs like "but unlike other countries American Military officers are educated instead and that's valued and they're not just upper class folk!"

I remember our department head telling us about back in the day in his Navy (he was in for like 14 years lol) it was like the above and you could only speak when spoken to and had to request permission for everything like getting married (not a bad idea imo)

Then when you have the high ranking officers and poo poo coming around work places you clean forever roll out the red carpet and kiss their toosh like they're the king of England. Then you're forced to stand in a formation for them and ask them dumb questions then get yelled at for asking said question.

My favorite story was from a buddy in Lejeune. I guess they had a visit from the commandant or some poo poo and spent weeks beforehand picking up pine cones. Some lower enlisted dude in the crowd asked "sir do you not like pine cones or something?"

"Uh, no, I have nothing against pine cones why?"

"Because for the past god drat 2 weeks I've been picking up pine cones and I thought maybe you didn't like them or something"

PneumonicBook posted:

How lovely is the reservist version of tricare?

Just do what everyone else does and don't pay for it then spend your reserve weekends in the local MTF ER for chronic back pain and bronchitis then be surprised when you get a bill

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 10, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

or during the day??

Why are naps so loving taboo in the Military? Look man you're jerking off and playing video games what's the different if I sleep we're both doing nothing

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They wear NWUs way too much on ship. In port you kind of have to because of the dumb coverall wear rules. They did get nice new fire retardant coveralls fairy recently that are worn more. I think they're red

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do my job? No sorry I have a bake sale to attend then I'm volunteering so I can't stand watch this weekend. I'm also going to school and have a test so I can't work past 5 I already cleared it with our department head.

Like its amazing how many dudes are "hot poo poo" on paper and get good evals but don't even know their own job and somehow go years avoiding doing anything related to their actual job by volunteering for every command thing ever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

germskr posted:

I remember hearing about a time in the Navy when collaterals were for useless folks

When things were still popping that's what Army IAs were for. The command would sugar coat the gently caress out of it and maybe throw them a NAM when they got back but it was really to just have said person be someone else's problem for 6-12 months

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That poo poo is very case by case. I remember one not too long ago having PSPs bundles and older poo poo like that. Can you not check inventory online?

I never found the NEX to have any good deals at all. Maybe overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's always rape

• Locked thread