Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

this.

I don't touch travel anymore but when I was an AO I maliciously denied anything to goldbricking faggots officers that I know went to great lengths to avoid paying their chow bills, or really for anything at all. I haven't touched travel since I was AD, but my assessment is that people tend to treat the AD side about the same still. Do your own voucher and auth though and the travel people will probably be more friendly to you

The gently caress is a "chow bill"? I've never seen a wardroom let officers get out of paying for all their meals (automatically if underway, or on a per meal basis inport) along with their wardroom dues.

In fact, I've seen people literally told to "get the gently caress out of the wardroom until you pay your dues". More than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

I wasn't navy so I can't comment on wardroom poo poo on the navy side but cg side underway meals for officers were still on the old sign up for meals bit. dues only covered the wardroom coffee mess poo poo. there was one guy in particular that I would gently caress with who used to rock the old LCDR(S) in his sig that I used to catch on duty days trying to scam leftovers from the galley specifically so he didn't have to sign up for meals. To be clear I don't mean on his duty days, I mean mine when I'd be on the mess deck as the OOD and he'd come back to the ship to ask if they had any leftovers they were gonna trash. He wasn't the only one doing it, but he was the one I saw doing it every duty day. his justification was that his BAS was less than an enlisted persons, but ignored the fact that an enlisted person (in the cg) will never see a cent of BAS regardless of how many meals they do or don't take aboard ship.

my gripe was predominantly with pathological cheapskates who were always trying to rules-lawyer me into getting them out of quarters/GMR on the ship's dime

Yea that's pretty bad. I can't speak for the CG, but in the Navy, the CDO/OOD is generally (on most ships, not all) required to "sample the mess" after/during their watch to make sure it's not all hosed up (and then evaluate it). But asking for leftovers at the end of the day? That's pretty hosed up.

Also, the only people who can get away with doing the NextRank(S) poo poo before a promotion is usually CAPT(S) and above. I've seen people get called out for LCDR(S) (from XO to CSO "hey CSO do you know what a LCDR(S) is?" "No, what?" "A LT") and generally don't think I've ever seen a CDR(S) actually do that poo poo....blah. Shitbags everywhere, I suppose.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Officers don't get full BAS; it doesn't cover all meals.

Right, and I've heard officers bitch about this... There's a very quick counter to it as well: we make 2-3x as much as enlisted do depending on grade/time in who gives a poo poo about paying 2.75 per meal or whatever it works out to.

Frankly, I think enlisted cats should never be charged for meals at sea...I think the wardroom should have to subsidize 100% of that poo poo.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 7, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

buttplug, I've always wondered. Do the NIOCs have wardrooms/chiefs mess onsite anywhere? I heard a rumor that the Navy scammed the agency out of some space and had one in the 90s but didn't know about where it stood past that.

I can only speak for the NIOC that we're at, and it does not have a physical wardroom or Mess. Unless the Chiefs are hiding their cool-guy club somewhere and not advertising it.... But in all seriousness, no.

Everybody is too spread out around the area anyways, I doubt it would get much use even if we did have spaces...Even if it was over at the command suite buildings, it wouldn't get used.

The concept of a Wardroom/Mess is better at a smaller, more centralized command (ashore) or afloat. NIOC MD is something like 2600 people... The wardroom is like 200ish, the Mess is like 400ish IIRC.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 8, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

No one should have to pay for their meals at sea. It's loving stupid. So is the idea of having the wardrobe subsidize the enlisted mess.

Why? We already utilize wardroom dues to subsidize <E5 for things like dining outs and Navy ball. How is this that much more of a stretch?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm a nerd, see if you can guess why this amuses me.

2600 baud?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Talk to me when you are in 3 sections and just came off the 2-7 and are expected to do the 22-02 the next night and there's a GQ all day so God loving forbid you be in your rack for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours.

Pretty much describes my time as a SWO perfectly. Don't forget to throw in some female JO crying (literally) to CSO about being on her ~period~ and standing the mid AND the rev, and then rolling into an UNREP aaaand by the way CSO put you on the watchbill for that, too.

PneumonicBook posted:

Or maybe people do tell them that but then they yell and stomp their feet like a child and still get their way.

This actually happens A LOT at the O6/flag levels. Really, seriously. *Everything* at that point is just a loving exception to policy with the right signature on it.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Suddenly, 8 9ARB CTI2s I know are getting surface orders. CC emails me to say it's time to get another look. I can only imagine we're sweeping p-ways out there. One guy is a shipboard career counselor (???) we don't know anything about the navy someone help us, I've heard SWOs are like animals and the ships are made out of BMs

Wouldn't you be pulling DIRSUP in SSES?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I was OIDIVO on my first tour and I basically went from one end of CIC to the other waking people up all watch (the stbd side would fall asleep as soon as I got finished waking up the port and vice versa)

7thflt.txt

I have definitely stood bridge watches as OOD where literally the entire bridge and all of CIC are, if even only for a few brief seconds, simultaneously asleep. No, seriously. Used to have to IVICS the gently caress out of combat.

I went from 5 n' dimes to static watches and opted for the mid...It's the quietest.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Well I guess they're not going to deduct my 10 months of TDY in 2014 from my IDW DNQ date, even though they sent me somewhere I can't get IDW because I'm the only sailor. I got a nice email explaining that when I get back on 8MAR, that I have until 1APR to get IDW or I'll get "Significant Problems" for an eval.

"You're our most technically diverse and highly qualified sailor in the division, I'm afraid you'll have to separate for it"

:911:

Send me a message on Lync on Tuesday.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Board chat
Seems that every board depends independently of whoever is running it and not what people widely believe things are to be run, gasp! You need to charge hard and dance to the tune. :chiefsay:

Panda aren't you an HMSN? Or HM3?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
This is mostly for Sir Lucius/Analogical...

From what I have seen, the process is very much a crapshoot on the enlisted side from command to command, and especially from Mess to Mess. The goal here is to make sure you have 1) some sort of collateral/extra-curricular time represents, your operational job, and some administrative love (i.e. leadership).

Ideally, your eval should look like 33.33% collateral involvement, 33.33% Navy feel-good sailor-leading administrativa, and 33.33% your operational job.

Silly? Yes. But the Navy tends to value well-rounded sailors who are not only proficient in their jobs but rounded in multiple areas as well. The biggest problem that I tend to see if when people end up having more like a... 50/25/25 split (collateral, job, leadership) or the other end of the spectrum where they have little to no leadership/collateral involvement and are "all operational". Which, sounds good in theory but unfortunately since the majority of what you do operationally cannot be represented (or does not translate well) onto an eval, a lot of the good stuff done gets lost in translation by the time it's at the U//FOUO level.

That, and people who are involved in collaterals tend to be more visible to more people and their name sticks out in people's minds when it comes time to rack and stack.

Do I agree with it personally? Not really. I think it creates a lot of subjectivity in the process....but I do understand why commands do it.

Just my 2 cents.

edit: some of this is a bit unique to our command specifically because of the 1) extremely decentralized nature of personnel and 2) the operational/administrative compartmentalization of everything.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 16, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Didnt even know they had reserve admirals. FTS officers a thing? Just seems weird that there would be a weekend Admiral.

FTS is not the same as the reserves. Maybe you ought to spend less time bitching about the Navy and more time learning about it? Of course the reserves (across all services) have FOGOs, who do you think manages the reserve forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

If you get the truck the single moms are easier to get no?

There's nothing quite like driving by the barracks of any base (Corry Station is a good example) and seeing all of the 45-55k cars sitting in the parking lot. Notice how none of them are there 1-3 days after a payday, but 1-3 days leading up to said payday that lot is full..

• Locked thread