Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

vulturesrow posted:

It basically boils down to what your authorizing official will sign off on.

this.

I don't touch travel anymore but when I was an AO I maliciously denied anything to goldbricking faggots officers that I know went to great lengths to avoid paying their chow bills, or really for anything at all. I haven't touched travel since I was AD, but my assessment is that people tend to treat the AD side about the same still. Do your own voucher and auth though and the travel people will probably be more friendly to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

buttplug posted:

The gently caress is a "chow bill"? I've never seen a wardroom let officers get out of paying for all their meals (automatically if underway, or on a per meal basis inport) along with their wardroom dues.

In fact, I've seen people literally told to "get the gently caress out of the wardroom until you pay your dues". More than once.

I wasn't navy so I can't comment on wardroom poo poo on the navy side but cg side underway meals for officers were still on the old sign up for meals bit. dues only covered the wardroom coffee mess poo poo. there was one guy in particular that I would gently caress with who used to rock the old LCDR(S) in his sig that I used to catch on duty days trying to scam leftovers from the galley specifically so he didn't have to sign up for meals. To be clear I don't mean on his duty days, I mean mine when I'd be on the mess deck as the OOD and he'd come back to the ship to ask if they had any leftovers they were gonna trash. He wasn't the only one doing it, but he was the one I saw doing it every duty day. his justification was that his BAS was less than an enlisted persons, but ignored the fact that an enlisted person (in the cg) will never see a cent of BAS regardless of how many meals they do or don't take aboard ship.

my gripe was predominantly with pathological cheapskates who were always trying to rules-lawyer me into getting them out of quarters/GMR on the ship's dime

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

buttplug posted:

Yea that's pretty bad. I can't speak for the CG, but in the Navy, the CDO/OOD is generally (on most ships, not all) required to "sample the mess" after/during their watch to make sure it's not all hosed up (and then evaluate it). But asking for leftovers at the end of the day? That's pretty hosed up.

Also, the only people who can get away with doing the NextRank(S) poo poo before a promotion is usually CAPT(S) and above. I've seen people get called out for LCDR(S) (from XO to CSO "hey CSO do you know what a LCDR(S) is?" "No, what?" "A LT") and generally don't think I've ever seen a CDR(S) actually do that poo poo....blah. Shitbags everywhere, I suppose.

Right, and I've heard officers bitch about this... There's a very quick counter to it as well: we make 2-3x as much as enlisted do depending on grade/time in who gives a poo poo about paying 2.75 per meal or whatever it works out to.

Frankly, I think enlisted cats should never be charged for meals at sea...I think the wardroom should have to subsidize 100% of that poo poo.

He was definitely the worst offender. Like I said, he wasn't even the OOD. I was. He came back to the ship from home, or whatever the gently caress else he was doing to try to scam free galley food. Considering the quality of your typical I/P duty day galley scrap, for his $4.65 (or less) he could get way "better" food from say a McDonald's or something. I dunno, that dude definitely had something wrong with him.

The justification I got when I asked about the meal sign-in system was that they didn't want to gently caress around with starting/stopping the Officer BAS every time we pulled into port because the pay system wasn't reliable and it would end up with people's pay getting hosed to hell and back. I don't argue with or blame them for that particular decision.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MancXVI posted:

I guess pay getting hosed up is totally cool for enlisted, though. Cool.

(I'm not actually super irate about any of this, I just think it's ridiculous.)

Enlisted people attached to a ship didn't get BAS, in-port or otherwise. Unless they went TDY >30 days or were on leave.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MancXVI posted:

As a former enlisted person who went on a ship as part of a detachment and had BAS suspended and reinstated each time (even for periods of, like, a week), I think it's dumb that they handle it differently at the officer level.

I don't really disagree with you, but would you trust an E2 with four kids to write you a check?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MancXVI posted:

No, but I think the opposite approach should be taken. They're already taking pay automatically from enlisteds, why not just do it across the board?

I think a charge-to-pay system based on usage would be the closest-to-fair solution, but that creates funding fluctuations since galley budgets (not sure how the Navy handles this) are revolving based on input. Basically, if everyone is paying all the time, the cash body ends up having a surplus and can put people in violation of the ADA for unlawful augmentations, and if you're only going on usage and you're in-port for a long time you'll hit a shortfall and won't be able to meet the logistical requirements pre-patrol.

The enlisted crew likely shoulders the burden because in the case and situation I'm talking about, it was a ship with maybe 10 or 12 officers and 100 enlisted people, plus an aircrew for most of any given patrol. 10-12 people giving up the $265/mo or whatever Os get isn't going to cut it for loading stores prior to sailing.

anyway this derail sucks and I'm sorry

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Boon posted:

I know you think you're too smart for this poo poo, but you're possibly the most naive individual in GiP.

gently caress this, show those squares who's boss. go hitch across alaska and just like, live off the land, man. what an adventure that would be

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

So in the Navy eval process there's a board comprised of chiefs and/or officers at a command that may or may not be in or even anywhere near your chain, and quite certainly not within your rating dealing with your evals? Am I reading that right?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Yes but if the chiefs that do know you are worth a poo poo they'll fight for you on the board assuming you're not a piece of poo poo.

The biggest problem I've seen from ranking boards I've sat is no one likes making GBS threads all over people that should get poo poo on. If the other firsts are pushing for someone to get an mp or ep because on paper they look good but in real life they are awful at their job (for whatever reason ) I'll ask them if this is a sailor they'd want as their acting lpo if they were a chief. Most of the time the answer is a no punctuated with a lot of buts.

If someone can't do the job of a first class why set them up for it? If they get kicked out for HYT who loving cares, thats what the system is their to do. Instead I'm going to end up paying the retirements of a bunch of fucks that get intimidated by the SNs they're instructing, and will make a mess in the fleet.

The idea of someone not in my own rating or at least nominally within my supervisory chain of command dealing with my eval sounds like total bullshit. Especially for reasons like what ... whoever it was earlier talking about having small inputs once whatever they work on is boiled down to the unclas level. Jesus Christ. Make's the CG's eval system seem downright awesome by comparison.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The ranking boards are just figuring out who gets the #1 EP, #2 EP, etc within the reporting senior's group. Your eval is still written and routed through your chain of command, and your reporting senior still has the final call on how to rank people. The only things done by a board completely outside of your command are selection boards for things like chief and O-4+.

I don't think I'm going to get it, especially since I'm not subject to it. I'm not sure without me experiencing it directly I'd understand it, or think it's a good idea. I get having to play the game though, so I suppose I'll leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Pandasmores posted:

Beyond basic medical stuff, I have no reason to look up anything about them.

Having a general understanding of how the world around you works is, in general, beneficial.

• Locked thread