Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I thought the latest few episodes have been a significant leap in quality for them, still lots of side conversations but in general less painful impressions and a bit more focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

At least they've realized how much everyone hates their voices. Now their voice bits are self-referential jokes about how bad their voice bits are. It's a marginal improvement.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

sotrain515 posted:

I personally think they've gotten a lot less obnoxious over time. The thing that bugged me the most about jack and dans characters was not necessarily the characs themselves (though Jesus was sideshow Mel annoying) but the fact that they always crack up for a minute when one of them trots one out. And dare I say it often sounds like "fake laughter" making it that much more cringey.

I know they both listen to cbb from comments they've made and on that show when the guests corpse it's often the funniest part. I'm guessing that's what they think they're emulating (that and the friendly impulse to fake-laugh when your buddy is laying an egg). But Scott and pals are comedy pros and just as often let an awkward silence follow a clunker (to equally great comic effect IMO).

Anyway, I still mostly love the show. Haven't listened to an outtakes ep in a long time either; that definitely helps their batting average I'm sure.

Why don't you give episode 75 a chance and see how far you get. Wow I am never listening to this podcast again

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Have you ever wondered what the braces/dental plan gag would sound like if it went two or three minutes and crescendoed with sideshow Mel voice

I'm honestly surprised the other guy made it past that part

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah, that story was weird. Anyway, if you want to listen to a better Simpsons podcast, you have (at least) three choices:

Talking Simpsons hosted by Something Awful's own bobservo. 40-45 minutes per episode, chronological and currently in the third season. Chill, straightforward, and friendly hosts. On the other hand, it has the same issue that his retro VG podcast does where he doesn't really go deep enough into what he's talking about and it ends up kind of just being a narrative overview.

Everything's Coming Up Podcast with two main hosts and a (usually semifamous and pretty funny) revolving guest per episode. About an hour long, tends to be half talking about the episode and half interview, but the episodes I've listened to have all been interesting. Doesn't follow any particular order, but usually earlier Simpsons episodes.

Four Finger Discount is the fabled Australian Simpsons podcast. 45 minutes to 1:15 long, two Australian hosts who are very funny and (mostly) well-informed about the Simpsons. Has a few recurring segments like their obscure trivia lightning round. Chronological, also currently halfway through the third season. Pretty good!

• Locked thread