Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

On this day in college basketball history:

1970 - Pete Maravich became the first player to score 3,000 points.

The more you know...

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pitt in a dogfight at home against something called a Bryant College

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
gently caress a Jayhawk. God bless.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Did you know that Fred Hoiberg previously had experience in the front office for the Minnesota Timberwolves, thus making his portfolio to the NBA more attractive than your average schlub? And his buyout is lower if he takes an NBA job?

Anyway, just some things to think about this evening. The more you know.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

All of my friends in Minnesota absolutely love Fred Hoiberg and constantly text me about the Cyclones' success. That goddamn Fred Hoiberg is just so likeable...

It's obvious he will go to the NBA at some point, but I'm not sure if it will be sooner or later. I think if he makes the final four, he might consider that enough of a success for Iowa State and then jump to the NBA.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, I like him, but gently caress a Cyclone.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
This KU-ISU game is crazy good so far

Self may have noticed that the KU offense runs 1000x smoother with Greene in and he gives the team crazy good spacing (he's like 12/14 or 13/15 for 3 in Big 12 player!!!), opening up the inside game. But I'm sure he'll keep playing him 15 minutes a game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Iowa state to make a three and challenge theirs please. The only reason they are in it is because isu is letting them shoot threes. Get it together clones!

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
Hogue is the only one of our players I'd take in a fight

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Iowa state to make a three and challenge theirs please. The only reason they are in it is because isu is letting them shoot threes. Get it together clones!
An Iowa State fan talking about how the "only reason" a team is winning is because they are shooting 3s?

(KU is also killing ISU in transition in comparison)

edit: as soon as I say that, KU hits another 3.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

bearic posted:

This KU-ISU game is crazy good so far

Self may have noticed that the KU offense runs 1000x smoother with Greene in and he gives the team crazy good spacing (he's like 12/14 or 13/15 for 3 in Big 12 player!!!), opening up the inside game. But I'm sure he'll keep playing him 15 minutes a game.

Green isn't as good a defender as Seldan and not as athletic as Oubre, so I can understand why he's not necessarily starting, but the team gets stuffed in the post so much that they have to have some kind of perimeter shooting if they want to stick around.

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
Oubre picking tonight to play like a lottery pick.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bearic posted:

An Iowa State fan talking about how the "only reason" a team is winning is because they are shooting 3s?

(KU is also killing ISU in transition in comparison)

edit: as soon as I say that, KU hits another 3.

Prior to the last few minutes f the game, ku was ugly. But the 3s are raining. Isu has usually been a 3 team, true, but KU was looking bad outside of the 3. Frustrating to see iowa state turn it all over like that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I normally am about extra passes under the basket. But KU is doing a great job getting their hands out and knocking them away tonight. So I'd be totally cool with some me ball drives to the hoop.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thoguh posted:

I normally am about extra passes under the basket. But KU is doing a great job getting their hands out and knocking them away tonight. So I'd be totally cool with some me ball drives to the hoop.

How about getting transition baskets and not turning it over on every fast break. A so can Kansas miss a loving three once.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jastiger posted:

How about getting transition baskets and not turning it over on every fast break. A so can Kansas miss a loving three once.

Baby steps.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thoguh posted:

Baby steps.

Getting mad at this iowa state lackadaisical defense. Drop a few threes and get back into the groove clones. You gotta want those loose ballsbmore than Kansas does.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Alexander has been the dumbest motherfucker this game.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Oh hey, a three.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What the gently caress is a defense?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like their 3 point defense is Jusy "hope he misses it".

They aren't missing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well I finally got to turn the game on, so I would appreciate a run hear clones.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More turnovers than point this half

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
gently caress Kansas

That is all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I recommend not leaving guys totally open at the three point line.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That's not what I was hoping for. Combo of bad defense by ISU and good shooting by KU.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Iowa state doesn't want to win this. They are shying away from defense and rushing the offense.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I had a huge feeling of dread those first five minutes, I was preparing myself to go numb. Glad this game doesn't seem to be going there for the time being.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

KU is #30 in the NCAA in 3PT% (39.1%) and tops in the Big 12 so it's not totally out of the blue.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bearic posted:

KU is #30 in the NCAA in 3PT% (39.1%) so it's not totally out of the blue.

That and half their three pointers have been completely uncontested. That'll help the average.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Stupid loving fouls man

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
Getting out of control...Cyclones making a habit out of laying eggs on the road so far. Kinda hard to watch.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If they were playing like this 5 minutes ago, it'd be a 5 point game

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Jastiger posted:

If they were playing like this 5 minutes ago, it'd be a 5 point game

Second wind, I guess? Bigger question is, why the hell is KU trying to keep that fast pace up?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Niang got 420 rebounds :2bong:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Probably Magic posted:

Second wind, I guess? Bigger question is, why the hell is KU trying to keep that fast pace up?

Because if they dont, iowa state will probably come back the way they are doing better.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I ain't even mad. Kansas played great, ISU played mediocre. It happens.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thoguh posted:

Agreed. I'm upset my Cyclones lost as always, but it was just a tough game. They could have won it or made it MUCH closer, but they were just having everything go KU's way from bounces to 3's to rebounds. Cyclones still need to put together a solid full game, and hopefully this is the wakeup call they need to show they need to wake UP if they want to get anywhere near the sweet 16.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
With as good as Kansas played and as (correctably, I hope) bad as ISU played, this is actually sort of encouraging, as much as a loss can be anyway. Kansas was really sharp this game.

This ISU team really struggles with controlling the pace of the game in a way that plays to our strengths.

I will get my "bitch about the Big 12/KU refs" token in by reminding that this is the team that once (i) rebounded the first shot of a two-shot foul, (ii) ran down the court and hit an uncontested three, and (iii) was permitted to keep those points.

Ross fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm

Thoguh posted:

I'm with you. Maybe I'm letting the moment imprison me, but it just sucks to finally come out and say that for the first time in Freddy's career, his team took a step back from the year prior. It was inevitable at some point, but it still sucks. We're more talented than last year, but Kane and Ejim seemed mentally tougher than the new guys.

• Locked thread