Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Characterizing Mother Sister as a Wise Black Woman is also underselling the complexity of her role. She may have the appearance of being wise and certainly positions herself that way on the perch, but she's actively offering advice to destabilize the system. She encourages Mookie to work as little as possible and constantly rebuffs the well-meaning Da Mayor partly because he has "bought in" in her perception. This is to say nothing of her actions at the end when she is screaming for the place to burn down louder than anyone else in the mob.

Her "wiseness" is called into question the very next morning when she's seen presiding over Da Mayor with sadness over what she devolved into last night. If there's anything Do the Right Thing does well, it's show how these people are more than their stereotypes like "Wise Black Woman" or "Angry Black Man". Heck, the saddest line in the movie for me is when the "Angry Black Man" Radio Raheem is leaning against a wall with Buggin' Out and weakly says, "He told me to turn down my tunes and didn't even say please." He's willing to correct his behavior, he just wants someone to be considerate about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread