Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

GlyphGryph posted:

(I actually keep them off under my desk too as if anyone gives a poo poo but since the OP asked for advice hey guess what you can take them off under your desk at work too and then get most of the benefits of them not being in shoes while still being able to walk around in shoes).

Please don't do this if you share an office with anyone. You might think your feet don't smell bad and even if they do, nobody can smell them from under the desk over there, but trust me, they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Look into minimal/barefoot shoes. They helped me with my knees and posture, and will assist you with relying on your foot's natural ability to absorb shocks (using more of the ball of your feet and less of the heel), without the obvious disadvantages of going barefoot. They'll also give you more space for your toes to spread out, which helped me as well.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Once I was walking downtown in the middle of summer and caught my sandal on a curb and totally broke it. I walked barefoot back home for 20 minutes and my feet were jet black, it was disgusting.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=275VsDVauN8

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Unless you wash your feet many times every day, they're going to get disgusting. Hell, maybe even then. It doesn't take long for your feet to get completely covered in dirt and grime. If you left your house and walked a mile to your work (or wherever) they'd be pretty nasty by the time you got there.

I live in a city where people spit constantly on the ground. There's pigeon poo poo, dog poo poo, cat poo poo, raccoon poo poo, human poo poo, all sorts of poo poo that lingers on the sidewalk and rarely gets washed away by rain. There's also garbage dumped on the ground. Walk down a city block an you need to clean your feet before entering any building.

loving wear shoes OP it's not that difficult. New Balance has nice shoes that come in wide sizes and are soft and comfy.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

loving wear shoes OP

nah

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Going barefoot outside in your yard or whatever is fine. Going barefoot down a dirt walking path in rural areas is okay too. In fact, if you live in bumfuck nowhere, you could probably get away with going without shoes fairly often; like other posters, when I was a kid growing up in the country I had soles like shoe-leather. But they didn't get gross because I wasn't walking on anything other than grass and dirt. How the hell do you expect to go to the store or the gas station or anywhere else in civilization barefoot anyway? Most places wouldn't even let you through the door like that.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 7, 2015

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Going barefoot everywhere sounds horrible, gross, and a quick way to get a nasty case of halitoesis.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Just stick each foot into the toilet and flush a few times. Brand spankin new and easier to clean than shoes!

This just sounds weird as hell. :gonk:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Ultra Carp
Don't listen to these assholes, op. Going barefoot really isn't an issue. There's no reason people wear shoes except for peer pressure and fashion, which are really vapid reasons to do anything. I haven't worn shoes in years and I am a working professional with an office job. It doesn't hold you back.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Wedemeyer posted:

I live in a city where people spit constantly on the ground. There's pigeon poo poo, dog poo poo, cat poo poo, raccoon poo poo, human poo poo, all sorts of poo poo that lingers on the sidewalk and rarely gets washed away by rain. There's also garbage dumped on the ground. Walk down a city block an you need to clean your feet before entering any building.

loving wear shoes OP it's not that difficult. New Balance has nice shoes that come in wide sizes and are soft and comfy.

I live in a city with all those things and I see people cleaning the streats with sprays and whatever every few days, so it cant be as bad as all that

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I live in a city with all those things and I see people cleaning the streats with sprays and whatever every few days, so it cant be as bad as all that

Going barefoot in an urban area is still just dumb.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but FWIW Vibrams have been categorically proven to be bullshit, insofar as they had to issue refunds to people and there was some class action lawsuit talk or something.

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/9/5695290/science-american-legal-system-confirm-that-barefoot-shoes-are-bullshit

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did the same but with my penis. Who is society to tell me it's not okay to walk around with my cock out? My dick is now stronger and healthier, and gets a nice tan as well.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiKRaBDizk

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

As a redneck hippy what grew up in the deep south, I went barefoot a whole loving lot and still do and gently caress me if I'd ever call it :airquote:barefooting:airquote:. Don't wear shoes if you don't want to but don't make it a Thing. That's some straight up dickish elitism. Do you take your own bombilla and little metal straw to the coffee shop and demand the barista make your mate in it?

Also :laffo: at the idea of having OP come to your house and ask if he can wash his crusty dogs in your tub.

Edit:
I'd hire six fuckin neck tats before I hired someone walking their nastyass black gnarly bare feet into my office, and I'm a field biologist.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 8, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I live in Florida near the beach so it's pretty common for people to walk around barefoot, and I tend to do for stretches of a few days if I'm at the beach a lot. The local stores and restaurants don't care, you can walk in with no shoes or shirt, women in bikinis in McDonald's blah blah you get the picture. That being said there are loving hazards, the worst being sand spurs which hurt like a motherfucker and are hard to get out, and of course glass is a big problem and I have seen people slice their feet open. Once when I was really stoned and/or drunk I decided to walk to the beach barefoot over steaming hot pavement in the middle of July and burned the gently caress out of my feet. I wear flip flops a lot more after that.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I especially enjoy going barefoot during concerts.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also just generally when I go out, I like to go barefoot in bars, clubs, etc.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When you see someone who goes barefoot everywhere, you just know they're going to tell you about it against your will at some point.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

A dude at my work decided he wasn't going to wear shoes at his desk. Okay, I guess. Then he decided he was going to go barefoot into the kitchen too. Kind of gross and we looked at him funny, but eh sometimes you need coffee in a hurry. But THEN he decided to hang out in the common areas and put his filthy disgusting gross feet up on the chairs and benches where EVERYONE is supposed to sit! By then we had all decided he was a gross loser and he was forever branded gross loser to his coworkers regardless of how good his work might have been otherwise.

Don't be a gross loser. It's apparently a slippery slope.

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
The biggest issue with going barefoot is people judging you, as you can tell by many of the responses so far. The people who go out of their way to call you a gross hippy aren't people you want to be around anyway so gently caress em. I would often take my shoes off when I was a canvasser and I never got cut or contracted any diseases or whatever, even in some of the busiest areas in the city. Yes your feet will get dirty, but this isn't anyone's problem except yours unless you are like the guy described by the last poster.

Having free feet feels amazing. It's not for everyone but I love being able to feel the ground, being able to wiggle my toes, and not having to deal with foot sweat. But honestly a pair of minimalist shoes is a better compromise. I always wear my minimalist shoes unless there is snow on the ground. Now when I put on sneakers I hate the feeling of being boxed in and having my heels elevated.

Give going barefoot a try, you'll probably find it very refreshing, then buy a pair of minimalist shoes and never look back.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thinking that going barefoot is dumb is just ignorance dude, not due to the broken toes, glass, bodily fluids etc you would encounter in any social setting such as a bar or a convert or a club.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey, hey, how do you know if there's a Barefooter at your party?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Don't worry, they'll let you know.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Colonel J give us a report on how your barefooting has gone.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

sillyloquy posted:

The biggest issue with going barefoot is people judging you, as you can tell by many of the responses so far. The people who go out of their way to call you a gross hippy aren't people you want to be around anyway so gently caress em. I would often take my shoes off when I was a canvasser and I never got cut or contracted any diseases or whatever

It is probably hard to cut yourself if you don't leave your mom's basement. After all, mountain dew tends to be sold in plastic containers.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

Colonel J give us a report on how your barefooting has gone.

Not gonna start 'till temperatures go up in the positives!

edit: maybe this report will satiate your hunger in the meantime.

an awful person posted:

I go barefoot 24/7 regardless of weather or temperature. The only exceptions are when danger of severe injury is clearly present. For example, I took a glass art class with my wife so I wore a pair of thong sandals. Also, when on travel I have been places where the temperature is so hot that any black top (e.g. streets) will almost instantly fry your foot regardless of how long you have been barefoot.
I live in Portland OR so its a pretty open and accepting town. Still there are just a handful of stores that will give me a hard time. I either shop elsewhere or in some cases simply having a pair of sandals with me is enough to overcome objections. Its not unusual to see me grocery shopping barefoot but with my sandals on the bottom part of the shopping cart so people clearly see I have some shoes so they do not need to throw a fit and have me removed. The extreme reactions, however rare, still strike me as crazy even though its been almost seven years.
The weather around here is fairly moderate so I had ample opportunity to acclimate to all sorts of weather conditions. I highly encourage taking advantage of colder days to "train" your feet. Difficult surfaces like fresh gravel are also good training experiences. But take it slowly for sure. It took a full two years of always being barefoot before I built the right level of calluses to handle a lot of surfaces. There are still surfaces that can be a challenge. Long city walks are excellent for building calluses since the pavement acts like a pumice stone and wear down your souls which should trigger thickening of the skin.
All our friends are open and accepting of my lifestyle so they never make a fuss. Like someone else commented, its important to always be aware of the condition of your feet and if they are dirty I simply ask to either first wash them off at the outside spigot or in the bathroom. Friends appreciate the courtesy.
A great joy of these years has been nature walks. Here in OR there are many wonderful parks with wonderful grassy areas as well as nature reserves with trails that have no gravel on them. There are few joys greater to me than that time out in nature. Whenever you find your feet sore or a little too worn down, a walk in a grassy park on a cool spring day will do wonders to ease the feet.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 9, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

oliwan posted:

Thinking that going barefoot is dumb is just ignorance dude, not due to the broken toes, glass, bodily fluids etc you would encounter in any social setting such as a bar or a convert or a club.

No see, it's just because people are afraid others might think they're poor. :qq:

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
You can buck social norms all you want, but I cannot understand why bare feet is the hill you want to die on. Society is asking -so loving little- of you on this one- wear shoes in shared spaces. Is there a compelling reason you feel that you just cannot possibly put on sandals in the goddamn grocery store? You can build your calluses and whatever on the sidewalk, at the park, in your own yard, perhaps even in your office, but why do you feel like you have to say gently caress you to the man absolutely everywhere all the time?

I promise you, other people are doing things they'd rather not be doing to maintain the peace, too. Do you think everyone wants to be wearing a shirt all the time? Aren't there dozens of people on public transport who'd just love to kick the rear end of the demanding buskers or slap the headphones right off some lovely teenager? Why do you deserve exemption from the, again, extremely minimal standards of interacting in public?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OP how are these books? http://www.barefoottimes.net/

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I live in Florida and have wide feet that make almost anything closed toed except for a select few (expensive) sneaker brands uncomfortable. I STILL wear loving shoes everywhere.

Open toed low to no heeled footwear for offices, flip flops most other places, and sneakers for hiking or anywhere that involves payment. It's not a ~freedom~ thing, it's a hygiene thing. Unless you live in an EXTREMELY rural area it's a bad idea, and even then you can replace the hazards of "broken glass and dog poo poo" with "dangerous bugs and needle plants".

As for doing that poo poo in urban areas, I've met some smelly and disgusting people in my life but the only smell as off putting as literal urine/feces is really dirty feet. I've watched NYC subway cars, filled with people who don't give a poo poo if you vomit all over yourself while pissing your pants at the same time, clear a subway car gagging because some guy had really smelly bare feet. It's gross. You're gross, OP.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

You're gross, OP.

Well, not yet!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cuckoo posted:

I live in Florida and have wide feet that make almost anything closed toed except for a select few (expensive) sneaker brands uncomfortable. I STILL wear loving shoes everywhere.

I don't have much trouble finding 2E and even 4E sizes of shoes or boots for the most part. Are your feet even wider than that, or is it different in the States?

Also, I personally find that sandals are pretty much the worst for my feet. They are generally too narrow, and left foot has a weird curve that seems to make it impossible to wear a thong. As for normal shoes, the toe-boxes tend to be fine; the pinch point is always around the balls of my feet.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
"I'm thinking about going barefoot and need advice as to whether or not to do it.

Nah I'm gonna ignore everybody and do it anyways. Well okay bye." - OP

gently caress everybody I guess since that's what you're going for, OP. Good luck!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I hope your feet fall off

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Rickycat posted:

"I'm thinking about going barefoot and need advice as to whether or not to do it.

Nah I'm gonna ignore everybody and do it anyways. Well okay bye." - OP

gently caress everybody I guess since that's what you're going for, OP. Good luck!

me on page 2 posted:

Anyways, point taken, it wasn't that good of an idea. I'll still probably try and work on hardening my soles, which I still think is a good idea, but I won't go barefoot everywhere.

Everything's gonna be alright! I still have a bit of trouble understanding how every thinks it's so gross to go barefoot in a grocery store or whatever, but I can clearly see how overwhelmingly see how negative the response is.

Still, the "hitting children" example above I think is pretty bad, because deciding not to wear shoes affects no one but me. I have trouble believing regularly washed feet would be annoyingly smelly, but I guess that's something I would have to experience. I guess the "not wearing a shirt" analogy wasn't too bad.

I still think there's merit in developing parts of our bodies which are grossly underdeveloped and that we never really question why it is so (insert dick joke here).

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 9, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Because floors are dirty? But that's ok, I heartily encourage this because you are going to find out exactly how many pieces of small clear broken glass there are in the world. Especially in parking lots.

(Hint: It's lots)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Colonel J posted:

Everything's gonna be alright! I still have a bit of trouble understanding how every thinks it's so gross to go barefoot in a grocery store or whatever, but I can clearly see how overwhelmingly see how negative the response is.

Still, the "hitting children" example above I think is pretty bad, because deciding not to wear shoes affects no one but me. I have trouble believing regularly washed feet would be annoyingly smelly, but I guess that's something I would have to experience. I guess the "not wearing a shirt" analogy wasn't too bad.

I still think there's merit in developing parts of our bodies which are grossly underdeveloped and that we never really question why it is so (insert dick joke here).

I get annoyed when people treat public spaces like their living room. Not everybody wants to look at your dirty calloused feet, even if they don't stink. Maybe I'm uptight or a snob or judgmental but when I see people out and about who look gross because they just don't give a gently caress I get a little bummed out.

People are so strongly against this because a large part of the appeal is so obviously lording "look at how free I am" over everyone. Why else would people call it "the barefoot lifestyle" if it wasn't to feel superior? Any "barefoot enthusiast" could slide on a number of minimalist shoe choices and instantly nobody notices them anymore, but being noticed is the point.

As for the part about "developing" the soles of our feet, what is the merit? It doesn't take hard work or have health benefits, like getting a sixpack. It doesn't happen as a matter of course, like a chef who develops callouses because using a knife is essential to his livelihood. Nobody questions why certain parts of our bodies are "underdeveloped" because we already know everything is developed to pretty much the level we need. A coal miner's shoulders are more developed than a computer programmer's because that's what he or she needs.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Rhymenoserous posted:

Because floors are dirty? But that's ok, I heartily encourage this because you are going to find out exactly how many pieces of small clear broken glass there are in the world. Especially in parking lots.

(Hint: It's lots)

Even without glass, walking in bare feet on asphalt can be pretty rough. You got loose stones coming up and some of them can be kind of pointy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Shoes are overrated.

But I don't like it how other people make going barefoot a Thing. I just don't put shoes on, pretty simple. You want to make a thing out of it, that's on you.

I don't really like the loss of tactile sensation in my feet. I want to be able to feel what's beneath me. I feel more connected to the ground. People might call it a hippy thing, which it sounds like, but it's not really my concern. Plus it gets hot in shoes so I prefer to have them off. And shoes and socks are a perishable commodity, so the less you wear them the less they wear out. I seem to burn through the ones I do wear for some reason.

So unless I'm going somewhere where they're literally required, I just go barefoot. I've copped a bit of flack for it, my mother in law wasn't very impressed, but I don't really care cos it's not their business.

I went round most of South America with no shoes. Put them on for the Inca trail though. Most of SE Asia. There was a typhoon in Siam Reap so shoes would have just gotten soggy and gross, so I wore them on my motor bike then took them off to go exploring. I was barefoot in a mosh pit too, that was pushing it. But I think I was so pumped up on alcohol and adrenaline that I didn't get hurt. I do some light bush walking with no shoes too.

Probably the limit was when I was managing the waste for a 4 day 10,000 person camping festival. Picking up and collecting and sorting around 50 tonnes of waste - glass, cans, compost, etc. Did it all barefoot. Didn't get hurt. But in hindsight I admit that was pretty dumb and kind of asking for trouble.

As I think you said, there's not that much glass and sharp poo poo around. I find it helps to be more aware of your surroundings too. People wear shoes or thongs to the beach, it's just one more thing you've got to worry about. You take them off, then lose them, it's annoying. I find Barefoot is just simpler.

• Locked thread