Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Shoes are overrated.

But I don't like it how other people make going barefoot a Thing. I just don't put shoes on, pretty simple. You want to make a thing out of it, that's on you.

I don't really like the loss of tactile sensation in my feet. I want to be able to feel what's beneath me. I feel more connected to the ground. People might call it a hippy thing, which it sounds like, but it's not really my concern. Plus it gets hot in shoes so I prefer to have them off. And shoes and socks are a perishable commodity, so the less you wear them the less they wear out. I seem to burn through the ones I do wear for some reason.

So unless I'm going somewhere where they're literally required, I just go barefoot. I've copped a bit of flack for it, my mother in law wasn't very impressed, but I don't really care cos it's not their business.

I went round most of South America with no shoes. Put them on for the Inca trail though. Most of SE Asia. There was a typhoon in Siam Reap so shoes would have just gotten soggy and gross, so I wore them on my motor bike then took them off to go exploring. I was barefoot in a mosh pit too, that was pushing it. But I think I was so pumped up on alcohol and adrenaline that I didn't get hurt. I do some light bush walking with no shoes too.

Probably the limit was when I was managing the waste for a 4 day 10,000 person camping festival. Picking up and collecting and sorting around 50 tonnes of waste - glass, cans, compost, etc. Did it all barefoot. Didn't get hurt. But in hindsight I admit that was pretty dumb and kind of asking for trouble.

As I think you said, there's not that much glass and sharp poo poo around. I find it helps to be more aware of your surroundings too. People wear shoes or thongs to the beach, it's just one more thing you've got to worry about. You take them off, then lose them, it's annoying. I find Barefoot is just simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The ground gets hot where I live too (Australian coastal major city) and that's one of the main reasons I wear shoes when I do.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Drank tap water everywhere too. Never got sick. My friend drank bottled water exclusively and got sick heaps. So did all the girls who were taking all the tablets.

Actually I did get sick once but I'm pretty sure that's cos I was playing with a dog just before lunch and didn't wash my hands properly. Which was stupid. This was on the trek too. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling something was very wrong, stumbled out of our tent in the mountains trying to find a toilet under a gorgeous starry sky, and violently evacuated everything from everywhere. Lasted around 18 hours, couldn't keep anything down. On the toughest day of the trek too, a 10 hour relentless uphill slog. But made it to camp and was fine again the next day.

But what were we talking about? Oh yeah, shoes. Shoes are overrated.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Funny story, I got into a nightclub wearing socks once. I can't remember if they just didn't like my shoes or if I didn't have any, but black socks did the trick.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

deathsuxdontdie posted:

OP, buy a new pair of shoes right now. In 6 months look at the wear and tear of the shoes. That's what would be happening to your feet if you didn't wear them.

Wear loving shoes.

In a thread with quite a lot of dumb stuff, this is perhaps the dumbest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

deathsuxdontdie posted:

OP, buy a new pair of shoes right now. In 6 months look at the wear and tear of the shoes. That's what would be happening to your feet if you didn't wear them.

My Jeans have holes in them! Lucky I've been wearing them all the time otherwise those holes would be in my legs!

• Locked thread