Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

As a redneck hippy what grew up in the deep south, I went barefoot a whole loving lot and still do and gently caress me if I'd ever call it :airquote:barefooting:airquote:. Don't wear shoes if you don't want to but don't make it a Thing. That's some straight up dickish elitism. Do you take your own bombilla and little metal straw to the coffee shop and demand the barista make your mate in it?

Also :laffo: at the idea of having OP come to your house and ask if he can wash his crusty dogs in your tub.

Edit:
I'd hire six fuckin neck tats before I hired someone walking their nastyass black gnarly bare feet into my office, and I'm a field biologist.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When you see someone who goes barefoot everywhere, you just know they're going to tell you about it against your will at some point.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey, hey, how do you know if there's a Barefooter at your party?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Don't worry, they'll let you know.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OP how are these books? http://www.barefoottimes.net/

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Human Tornada posted:

As for the part about "developing" the soles of our feet, what is the merit? It doesn't take hard work or have health benefits, like getting a sixpack. It doesn't happen as a matter of course, like a chef who develops callouses because using a knife is essential to his livelihood. Nobody questions why certain parts of our bodies are "underdeveloped" because we already know everything is developed to pretty much the level we need. A coal miner's shoulders are more developed than a computer programmer's because that's what he or she needs.

If you want to not wear shoes, you have to develop the soles of your feet a little. If you don't and you try to walk without shoes, you sound like everyone who pisses and moans about hot pavement, pointy rocks, etc. Even little bits of broken glass cease to be an issue with a slightly thicker callus.

Also, even if you never plan on going barefoot, having a more conditioned sole and thicker calluses helps if you're a runner.

Human Tornada posted:

People are so strongly against this because a large part of the appeal is so obviously lording "look at how free I am" over everyone. Why else would people call it "the barefoot lifestyle" if it wasn't to feel superior? Any "barefoot enthusiast" could slide on a number of minimalist shoe choices and instantly nobody notices them anymore, but being noticed is the point.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Shoes are overrated.

But I don't like it how other people make going barefoot a Thing. I just don't put shoes on, pretty simple. You want to make a thing out of it, that's on you.

This right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rhymenoserous posted:

Because floors are dirty? But that's ok, I heartily encourage this because you are going to find out exactly how many pieces of small clear broken glass there are in the world. Especially in parking lots.

(Hint: It's lots)

Lareine posted:

Even without glass, walking in bare feet on asphalt can be pretty rough. You got loose stones coming up and some of them can be kind of pointy.

Ramagamma posted:

I know a dude who liked to go about barefoot once, he joined in one of our soccer matches one-time despite us protesting that he should really wear appropriate footwear. He was a decent player too, kicked the ball the wrong way in his second match and broke his toe, couldn't walk for 3 weeks and afterwards started wearing shoes again so there you go.

surc posted:

OP, this is retarded. Seriously, do not walk around barefoot in goddamn civilization. It's dirty and gross, and there is a pretty solid chance you will cut yourself badly or seriously gently caress up a nerve in the bottom of your feet which is connected to important other poo poo.

If you don't like your toes getting scrunched, there are a plethora of technologies to aide you. (e.g http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm). Fair warning though, I have these shoes and literally every time I wear them out random strangers will go out of their way to hate on me.

It doesn't make sense, but it is the truth. People loving hate your feet.

deathsuxdontdie posted:

OP, buy a new pair of shoes right now. In 6 months look at the wear and tear of the shoes. That's what would be happening to your feet if you didn't wear them.

Wear loving shoes.

deathsuxdontdie posted:

I guess if all you do is post on SA all day you can barefoot it, OP. Or if you just want to cut your feet up on glass, rocks, concrete, or whatever else you come across during daily walking that your shoes protect you from.

oliwan posted:

Be sure to get vaccinated against HIV as well op, don't want to walk into a dirty needle, or anything else that might have blood on it.

Do you dingdongs wear helmets everywhere you go too?
I know this one girl, totally knocked the gently caress out of her head on an automatic door at the drugstore and got a concussion and was hosed up for like a week. Do you know how many doors there are in the world? They're everywhere. Good luck with your brain damage, you stupid loving fat gross shitlord goons.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread