Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Colonel J posted:

shoes are ruining the quality of our feet :supaburn:
A lot of people have lovely feet because they wear lovely shoes that don't fit, and wear them well after all the support is shot. Wear properly-fitted shoes, and replace them on a reasonable schedule. Problem solved.

quote:

Hygiene could be a point of contention but on the other hand, shoes and socks are basically a petri dish for bacteria.
That's true(heat and humidity will do that), but that doesn't matter unless you're regularly breeaking the skin on your feet. I'd guess 99% of the bacteria lurking in your socks and shoes are normal skin inhabitants that came from your feet in the first place. Most people also let their feet and shoes air out for most of the evening/night, which helps things a lot. There's a reason you don't hear about the average person magically getting a bunch of gross infections down there.

On the flip side, an unshod foot will walk through all manner of dirt and grime that's much less sanitary than whatever's on your socks. It also has to deal with more things that can break its skin open(rocks, glass shards, stray nails, etc), and breaks in the skin give bacteria and fungi a handy route to infect you.

And most importantly: Most people will look at you weird if you don't wear shoes. Not wearing shoes has questionable benefits, so why turn yourself into That Weird Barefoot Guy? You'd be stuck wearing shoes at work anyway, unless you had an extremely cool boss. Or worked at a hippie commune, I guess.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread