Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
FWIF wearing mocs around town, zero drop running shoes when running, and rock climbing (in rock climbing shoes), and not wearing anything at home/immediate vicinity of home have made my feet stronger. I don't have any calluses or blisters, but the skin on my soles has become roughly 50% thicker. I don't know how long it's been like that, but I picked up running 5 years ago.

There is nothing wrong with not wearing shoes. I don't do it, because I enjoy the many advantages wearing shoes provides. However, being barefoot is the normal condition for a human being. As this thread demonstrates, shoe-wearing is a mostly cultural taboo, like nudity. What if you stopped wearing clothes all the time? There is a minority of people who do this and are fine. Indeed, in the privacy of my own home, I wear as little clothing as the temperature permits.

We see here that this whole thing is a mostly cultural issue. For a group as open and tolerant as SA, you would figure people would not really care what some random internet stranger does in his free time. Indeed, OP predicted this in his first post.

OP.

Hookworm. Sharp stuff. Dirty feet.
If you can deal with that poo poo, have fun feeling the stuff you walk on.

quote:

Assholes that do a lot of walking for work? Assholes that exercise I guess? I beat the hell out of my shoes. I need a new pair between 6 months and a year, both my running shoes and my regular daily wear shoes.

It sound like you only wear one pair of shoes daily. Try getting 2 pairs, and alternating them. They'll get less wear than if you wore one pair, and then the next. You can also try keeping them in shoe trees when you don't wear them. Also, consider getting something like an oxford or a derby with a rubber sole. I picked up a cheap pair ($40) like that 3 years ago and they are still going, and still look fine with regular polishing.

Ramagamma posted:

I know a dude who liked to go about barefoot once, he joined in one of our soccer matches one-time despite us protesting that he should really wear appropriate footwear. He was a decent player too, kicked the ball the wrong way in his second match and broke his toe, couldn't walk for 3 weeks and afterwards started wearing shoes again so there you go.

I play soccer every chance I get, even if my cleats are at home. Sorry to hear about your friend's toe. I guess one reason barefoot beach soccer works out OK is that the rough sand slows down the ball, so you have more time to line it up with your instep. Surprisingly this sort of shoe is very decent for pickup games

Bonus points if you start playing in a suit and end up shirtless.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

oliwan posted:

"lol, sorry I don't go to bed with men with feet this weak, no calluses no fallusses. Goodbye."

• Locked thread