Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What is it with people who just have to let their precious goddamn feet be free?

What does "better foot health" even mean? I wear shoes and socks everyday and my feet are clean, comfortable, safe, warm, dry, and I fit in. What could be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Colonel J posted:

Everything's gonna be alright! I still have a bit of trouble understanding how every thinks it's so gross to go barefoot in a grocery store or whatever, but I can clearly see how overwhelmingly see how negative the response is.

Still, the "hitting children" example above I think is pretty bad, because deciding not to wear shoes affects no one but me. I have trouble believing regularly washed feet would be annoyingly smelly, but I guess that's something I would have to experience. I guess the "not wearing a shirt" analogy wasn't too bad.

I still think there's merit in developing parts of our bodies which are grossly underdeveloped and that we never really question why it is so (insert dick joke here).

I get annoyed when people treat public spaces like their living room. Not everybody wants to look at your dirty calloused feet, even if they don't stink. Maybe I'm uptight or a snob or judgmental but when I see people out and about who look gross because they just don't give a gently caress I get a little bummed out.

People are so strongly against this because a large part of the appeal is so obviously lording "look at how free I am" over everyone. Why else would people call it "the barefoot lifestyle" if it wasn't to feel superior? Any "barefoot enthusiast" could slide on a number of minimalist shoe choices and instantly nobody notices them anymore, but being noticed is the point.

As for the part about "developing" the soles of our feet, what is the merit? It doesn't take hard work or have health benefits, like getting a sixpack. It doesn't happen as a matter of course, like a chef who develops callouses because using a knife is essential to his livelihood. Nobody questions why certain parts of our bodies are "underdeveloped" because we already know everything is developed to pretty much the level we need. A coal miner's shoulders are more developed than a computer programmer's because that's what he or she needs.

• Locked thread