Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Megaspel posted:

I've only had two lessons, but I'm going to say you should avoid this man's advice about trying every other vehicle first.

He is right about parallel parking being a bitch though. Practice that as much as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

hookerbot 5000 posted:

He is right about parallel parking being a bitch though. Practice that as much as you can.

Is that part of the driving test across the board? I thought it depends on your state and region.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Is that part of the driving test across the board? I thought it depends on your state and region.

It was never part of my driving test (California), however it might depend where the DMV itself is located, some of the ones here would require you to merge onto and exit the freeway from what I was told.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

TheOrange posted:

It was never part of my driving test (California), however it might depend where the DMV itself is located, some of the ones here would require you to merge onto and exit the freeway from what I was told.

DMVs located in large cities where parallel parking is pretty much a necessity might require it. However, there's not much parallel parking around here. People do it in the downtown area, but there are a couple free parking lots that are never full so you can get away with not doing it at all. The DMV right here in the town does road tests.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Ah maybe it does. sorry.

In the UK you have to do three out of four manouveres - parallel park, reverse around a corner, emergency stop and three point turn (also a hill start but they're probably not a problem in automatic cars? I don't know) as well as at least ten minutes of independent driving where they just check you drive okay on your own and check your mirrors enough. I nearly failed for pulling out of a junction in 2nd but l I didn't stall so he let it slide.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not intentionally. The difference is that teenagers generally have much less intuition around what is considered risky driving, or behavior in general.

And their brains aren't actually fully developed yet, so they're literally less able to be sensible about things.

OP, I learned to drive age 26, during the winter, in a big city. It was pretty great, because the conditions that tend to freak new drivers out (snow and busy city driving) was my starting point, so I'm not nervous about those things, because I learned them early.

10 formal lessons with a proper teacher is only going to be enough if you practice lots in private. The physical handling of the car is easy, it's getting used to reading traffic and knowing what to do in which situations that's the hard part.

(And I've never found comfort in the fact that complete idiots can drive cars, it's my biggest worry about driving. I know that I'm a decent driver, but that doesn't help much if I'm surrounded by morons doing stupid and unpredictable things in their giant metal death machines.)

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

(And I've never found comfort in the fact that complete idiots can drive cars, it's my biggest worry about driving. I know that I'm a decent driver, but that doesn't help much if I'm surrounded by morons doing stupid and unpredictable things in their giant metal death machines.)

This is precisely the reason for my anxiety about driving. Being at the mercy of every other idiot on the road is a scary thought.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also just accept now that you're going to get into a dumb accident sometime in the next year. It'll happen, no one will get hurt, it'll cost you a few thousand bucks maybe and that's it.

Uh, you say this like this is nothing. If I knew learning to drive would cost me 'a few thousand bucks' I sure as hell wouldn't try to learn to drive because I don't have thousands of bucks I can just throw away. :stonk:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Pixelated Dragon posted:

This is precisely the reason for my anxiety about driving. Being at the mercy of every other idiot on the road is a scary thought.

To be honest that's one of those things you start to notice pretty early on, being able to notice who is driving while on their cellphone or swerving in and out of lanes lets you know to keep your distance. Lots of little things you pick up after you've been driving for a while and they just become more second nature.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hookerbot 5000 posted:

The standards on my driving test were "you get three tries, in a space twice as long as your car, you don't fail unless you back onto the curb." If you can't do that, you are literally unable to drive a car and should therefore not be able to earn a license.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

When my mother took her first driving test way back when, she scheduled it for a date and time when she knew that every parallel parking spot on the main street of her town would probably be full because that's where they'd test it. According to her, the tester had her circle the block twice and when they couldn't find a spot, she got exempted from that part of the test.

Depending on where you live and how they do the testing, it might be possible to game it that way.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I learned how to drive in VA, parallel parking was one of the things you had to be taught during the formal driving lessons with an instructor but wasn't part of the test to get your license.

Even if it isn't on the test, learn it anyway. You don't want to be that person who has to park really far away to avoid a parallel spot or one of those people who makes a passenger get out and switch with you so they can parallel park your car for you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
driving is super loving easy. i was able to successfully drive from San Diego to LA when I had my permit at 15.5 years old.

its also hella fun sometimes

cars are cool driving is cool

stop overthinking it

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Leave your car door open I cAnnot stress this enough

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Khizan posted:

When my mother took her first driving test way back when, she scheduled it for a date and time when she knew that every parallel parking spot on the main street of her town would probably be full because that's where they'd test it. According to her, the tester had her circle the block twice and when they couldn't find a spot, she got exempted from that part of the test.

Depending on where you live and how they do the testing, it might be possible to game it that way.

Why would you try so hard to avoid parallel parking? Like, not only is it easy as gently caress if you're competent at controlling your car, but you'll probably need to do it at some point to park your car. It's not a Herculean labour, it's a simple task that (depending on where you live) you'll probably have to do hundreds or thousands of times in your driving career.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

TheOrange posted:

To be honest that's one of those things you start to notice pretty early on, being able to notice who is driving while on their cellphone or swerving in and out of lanes lets you know to keep your distance. Lots of little things you pick up after you've been driving for a while and they just become more second nature.

Once you've gotten comfortable enough to not have to think too hard about what you're doing it becomes much easier to pay attention to what everyone around you is doing. It would probably help to look around when you're a passenger as well, not in a backseat driver sort of way but just observing things like "that guy who just parked up ahead might swing his door open" or "that pedestrian on his phone might wander into the intersection"

It was intimidating for me to learn to drive at 30, but starting in an empty parking lot, then moving on to quiet residential streets, then major streets during quiet times and finally driving wherever let me get a hold of the basics before being in busier conditions.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

feedmegin posted:

Uh, you say this like this is nothing. If I knew learning to drive would cost me 'a few thousand bucks' I sure as hell wouldn't try to learn to drive because I don't have thousands of bucks I can just throw away. :stonk:

It is pretty much nothing. Two adults, both presumably working, shouldn't be bothered by a chance of losing 2500 or whatever in the name of learning a necessary life skill.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

PT6A posted:

The standards on my driving test were "you get three tries, in a space twice as long as your car, you don't fail unless you back onto the curb." If you can't do that, you are literally unable to drive a car and should therefore not be able to earn a license.

That's also regional, considering the parallel parking test in my area was (and still is) "park in a space between random people's cars on a crowded downhill street." The space might be big, it might be tiny depending on how the people parked, so who knows!

Not surprisingly you can also fail it completely and still pass the overall test as long as you don't gently caress up badly on any other parts.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Not surprisingly you can also fail it completely and still pass the overall test as long as you don't gently caress up badly on any other parts.

Haha, I did my driving test in a snow storm, managed to turn my high beams on without noticing, and got so flustered that I didn't recognize the indicator light on the dash board. I was all: "Uuuh, this light is glowing, it's a picture of a little lamp, so...I should probably pull over and try to figure out if something is wrong...?"

Afterwards the instructor told me that he would've failed me for that if everything else hadn't gone so well, and adviced me to read up on the various indicator lights before I got into the car again.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Driving is easy, it's like a video game where you have a big chair that pushes you around to simulate motion.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't needed to parallel park in 11 years! Although I've never lived in an area where it'd be needed.

OP, I'd rather share the road with an inexperienced driver that pays attention than an experienced one that's doing something stupid. Like trying to read a book, apply makeup, or watch tv while driving.

A lot of accidents can be avoided (including ones where you wouldn't be at fault) if you pay attention, slow down when there's a lot going on, and assume everyone else is an idiot.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Pixelated Dragon posted:

When I took my test (in the UK, so YMMV), there was a list of maneuveurs (or however you spell it) which could appear in the test. These included parallel parking, 3 point turns, reversing around a corner, etc. Usually, your examiner will ask you to do one of these, but which one will be completely random unless the examiner takes a dislike to you (parallel parking).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Xzov posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't needed to parallel park in 11 years! Although I've never lived in an area where it'd be needed.

Where do you live? I've had to parallel park everywhere from the downtown of big cities, to the suburbs, to small towns in the middle of nowhere. Does wherever you live just have giant parking lots everywhere?

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Where do you live? I've had to parallel park everywhere from the downtown of big cities, to the suburbs, to small towns in the middle of nowhere. Does wherever you live just have giant parking lots everywhere?

Fort Campbell for 5 years, and Chicago suburbs before and after that. When I go to Chicago, it's usually either take a train or leave the car in a parking garage (I don't commute there daily, it's just to visit friends).

When I've needed to street park in downtown Aurora, it's either been packed with no spots, or empty enough that I just pull alongside the curb where a few spots are in a row.

So yeah, mostly parking lots. Some parking garages.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I "officially" learned to drive at 24 with really twisty roads. I just made sure I hired some good driving instructors, and drove with them until I felt comfortable taking the test. Many companies will allow you to buy lessons in bulk, and use their car for your test.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Parallel parking isn't bad when it's in your own car, because you know exactly how big your car is. I was driving my friend's suburban one time and the only spot nearby was a parallel spot. We had a bit of a walk.

Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.
My SO barely got his license a year ago (he's 26). He ended up buying a smart car since he felt the size made him feel more comfortable. He didn't take any driving courses but his family helped when they could. Passed his test on the first try. But his insurance is definitely much more expensive than mine since years in experience comes into play. Still, I don't think there's anything wrong with learning to drive much later. If anything, I feel he drives more safely than I do.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Hey OP,

Having recently passed my test at the age of 29 (in the UK), I'd say the biggest thing to be prepared for isn't the driving, it's failing.

Not necessarily having near-death experiences, but not being very good at something you have to do.

As a young teenager, you've barely forgotten what it's like to fall over/soil yourself on a regular basis. As an adult, you've been competent at life in general for a while. It's very frustrating having to repeatedly fluff things up when you need to do things right.

Even with very regular lessons, and having held a full motorcycle license for many years, being able to operate cars off road etc. and driven various bits of heavy machinery, it took quite a while and several failed tests before everything was sorted. Don't give up, though, it's surprising how much it had always weighed on me, you don't realise how much until it's done and gone.

Time probably makes you a good driver more than training - put in as many hours as you can with your SO or a friend, until you don't have to think about it anymore.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Update!

I had my first lesson today, and it was a lot easier than I expected once I got the hang of it. However, we were only out for 30 minutes before I got us stuck on a snowdrift. I was hoping that once we got free I could get right back on the proverbial horse, but he decided to call it and not count it as a real lesson since the roads were so bad.

I was turning right and then the car... wouldn't stop turning. It was just drifting on the ice. Very, very slowly. I had previously thought that only happens when you're going too fast!

I'm going back out with him again on Sunday. Hopefully the roads will be better.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 19, 2015

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Sliding on ice definitely happens at all speeds. Did the instructor tell you about how to address that? IMO it's one of the scarier sensations while driving, so now you've got that one out of the way!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

He said that when it happens, I should just let it happen and try to steer the car towards snowdrift if there's something in its trajectory that's not just snow such as a person, another vehicle, a tree, so on. He said that using the breaks in that situation won't really help.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

He said that when it happens, I should just let it happen and try to steer the car towards snowdrift if there's something in its trajectory that's not just snow such as a person, another vehicle, a tree, so on. He said that using the breaks in that situation won't really help.

Is driving in these kinds of conditions an obligatory part of the process where you are? Not in the first lesson, obviously, but later?
Here in Norway you must show that you can drive in the dark and drive on a skid pad to simulate icy conditions before you're even allowed to take your drivers test.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

Is driving in these kinds of conditions an obligatory part of the process where you are? Not in the first lesson, obviously, but later?
Here in Norway you must show that you can drive in the dark and drive on a skid pad to simulate icy conditions before you're even allowed to take your drivers test.

It's not absolutely required. If I felt like it then I could wait until the road conditions improve but I want to get licensed ASAP.

It's also a good idea to get used to driving in snowy and icy conditions because the winters here are pretty bad. So what's the point of waiting until the springtime to start? Not only will I have to wait until May but I'll only be putting off the inevitable.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes the ice is really slick and you slide on it no matter what. It's really unusual though. Once when I was about 17 I came to a stop at the bottom of a small hill after going like five miles an hour down the thing and then after stopping my car slowly slid sideways into the curb. I walked back up to the house and got some sand out of the gardening supplies in the garage and threw it under the front tires and then drove out of the gutter and to school (pretty slowly). More than a decade later and I've never seen anything that slick since, also I keep a coffee can of sand in the trunk during the winter.

Sockmuppet posted:

The only thing you have to do in America other than not hit a car is parallel park, and even that you can screw up to an extent. In some states with smog checks it can be harder to register a car than it is to get yourself licensed. Plus if you fail your test you can always fly into a rage, buy a gun, and maybe go on a little spree.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

The instructor said today that the test involves a right turn, a three-point turn, and parallel parking.

I used my husband's car with him today and it was really freaky because his car is a lot more sensitive than the instructor's company car that gets beaten up by teenagers every day. After about 20 minutes I was so uncomfortable that we switched and went home because some van came tearing around a curve and almost hit me when I was making a left turn at the intersection, and then he blew through the 4-way stop sign at that intersection. I pulled to the side and yelled, "gently caress THIS, I'M DONE!" It was surprising because this area is very residential and there is not a lot of traffic on the smaller streets.

I'm not really done, but I'm quite rattled because that curve is why the 4-way stop sign is there. I'll probably just stick to parking lots until I'm less skittish.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 20, 2015

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Yes, good. The first instinct might be to brake, but that can make things worse. Sorry about the crazy van on your other drive!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

My husband wants to get a few of those "student driver" magnets for his car to slap on there when I'm practicing. Is this a good idea?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, good. The first instinct might be to brake, but that can make things worse. Sorry about the crazy van on your other drive!

Yeah for a moment I lost control of the car because I was so startled and freaked out, but luckily I got it under control before getting caught in another snowdrift.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

The instructor said today that the test involves a right turn, a three-point turn, and parallel parking.

I used my husband's car with him today and it was really freaky because his car is a lot more sensitive than the instructor's company car that gets beaten up by teenagers every day. After about 20 minutes I was so uncomfortable that we switched and went home because some van came tearing around a curve and almost hit me when I was making a left turn at the intersection, and then he blew through the 4-way stop sign at that intersection. I pulled to the side and yelled, "gently caress THIS, I'M DONE!" It was surprising because this area is very residential and there is not a lot of traffic on the smaller streets.

I'm not really done, but I'm quite rattled because that curve is why the 4-way stop sign is there. I'll probably just stick to parking lots until I'm less skittish.

I'm sorry to have to inform you of this, but it won't change when you become a more experienced driver. One random day a month, or every couple of months, the universe will decide it wants you dead and everyone on the way to or from work will drive as if they personally have it in for you. On a fifteen minute drive I once had nearly a dozen people cut me off hardcore, try to randomly merge into the lane that my cherry red jeep was occupying, slam on their brakes for no reason ahead of me, etc. It's stressful but then I get where I'm going and feel like a million bucks cuz I was pro enough to make it there alive.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Nathilus posted:

I'm sorry to have to inform you of this, but it won't change when you become a more experienced driver. One random day a month, or every couple of months, the universe will decide it wants you dead and everyone on the way to or from work will drive as if they personally have it in for you. On a fifteen minute drive I once had nearly a dozen people cut me off hardcore, try to randomly merge into the lane that my cherry red jeep was occupying, slam on their brakes for no reason ahead of me, etc. It's stressful but then I get where I'm going and feel like a million bucks cuz I was pro enough to make it there alive.

Yeah, this won't be the last time something like that happens. I just need to get confident enough to not let it freak me out so much, and that's going to take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My husband wants to get a few of those "student driver" magnets for his car to slap on there when I'm practicing. Is this a good idea?

Absolutely not. People will drive more like idiots to try to get around you because they'll assume you're going to drive like a grandma.

• Locked thread