Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of Manziel being scouted, how did no one ever find out he was a massive alcoholic before he got drafted?

Even the Raiders knew about JaMarcus' issues

They knew, they just didn't care because Johnny :homebrew: Manzeil bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Pretty sure they did know which makes it even crazier.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty sure they did know which makes it even crazier.

I mean even the most supportive estimates of Johnny Manziel basically fell into "He is gonna need to work really hard to refine his talent because he will not be able to bullshit it out there like in Texas."

I feel like "Hey this guy is passed out until noon everyday" is the biggest possible warning sign imaginable

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of Manziel being scouted, how did no one ever find out he was a massive alcoholic before he got drafted?

It wasn't talked about much. I remember some rumors that his parents might have had him in some form of counseling/rehab, but as I recall it was pretty quiet and I think a lot of people just chalked it up to him being the typical college goof.

E: then again I may have missed a lot of it.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 5, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

DJCobol posted:

I think Jerry Jones would have had the common sense to know that Manziel wouldn't be a starter, and all he would be there for was to sell jerseys and take a few reps in some pre-season games (like when the Pats picked up Tebow), and thats about it. Haslam wanted to start Manziel, that's the difference.

He was dead serious about Manziel being the future of the Cowboys.

quote:

He told Van Natta that he was the only person in the draft room who wanted Manziel and that passing on him goes against the same risk-taking philosophy that made him buy the Cowboys in the first place

Jones told his son on draft night:

"There's only one thing I wanna say — I'd have never bought the Cowboys had I made the kinda decision that I just made right now. You need to drive across the water rather than lay up. And we laid up for this one. ... We just didn't get here makin' this kind of decision."

Jones, who calls himself a "riverboat gambler" in the article, bought the Cowboys for $151 million in 1989. Today, they're worth $3.2 billion.

He told ESPN that the Cowboys needed to take a gamble on Manziel if they wanted to get out of their string of mediocre seasons:

"When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy — any other guy — it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons. The only way to break out is to gamble — take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

Manziel was taken six picks later.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

He's got to be happy now.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Nothing would me more obnoxious than Manziel being the QB for Dallas.

Edit: Tired of mediocre 8-8 seasons, The cowboys draft Manziel in the hopes of a perfect 0-16 season for 2 years so they could farm better draft picks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DJExile posted:

Oh the cavs are a hot ticket right now, no doubt about that, but at the end of the day cleveland is pure football. The cavs being popular are purely because of Lebron, not because Cleveland loves basketball.

poo poo, at one point last year the Indians were leading the division for months, and one of the league leaders in offense, and were almost last in the league in attendance. It got to the point where players were actively calling out the fans.

The Indians had the longest sell out streak in baseball until the Red Sox beat
them: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Indians#Sellout_streak

Baseball goodwill requires a few good seasons before you start seeing consistent sellouts. Having one good season won't turn the tide.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Nothing would me more obnoxious than Manziel being the QB for Dallas.

Edit: Tired of mediocre 8-8 seasons, The cowboys draft Manziel in the hopes of a perfect 0-16 season for 2 years so they could farm better draft picks.

This was what was to become until Rolando McClain showed up in a time machine to right this errant flow of time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
So you're saying the random friendly hobo was wrong, hmm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I feel like the random hobo was some Looper poo poo and was actually burn-out Johnny Manziel with a time machine

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just looked up this gem again (patriots scouting report of Manziel) http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/ and it's proven 100% true. They only write "will drink" but his alcoholism might have been caused/triggered by his less than stellar performance in the NFL and the mocking he had to endure.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

AsInHowe posted:

So you're saying the random friendly hobo was wrong, hmm

the important question: Where does a cleveland hobo watch Texas A&M football games?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GaussianCopula posted:

I just looked up this gem again (patriots scouting report of Manziel) http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/johnny-manziel-scouting-report-new-england-patriots/ and it's proven 100% true. They only write "will drink" but his alcoholism might have been caused/triggered by his less than stellar performance in the NFL and the mocking he had to endure.

If he didn't have many friends within the organization and said organization was unsupportive (in general), it would not be a stretch to say he started drinking more due to his isolation. That's probably the fastest most effective way to go from a social thing to a serious problem.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

old dog child posted:

If he didn't have many friends within the organization and said organization was unsupportive (in general), it would not be a stretch to say he started drinking more due to his isolation. That's probably the fastest way to go from a social thing to a serious problem.

Considering how his meltdown was almost immediate I find it hard to swallow that his alcoholism was "triggered"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Considering how his meltdown was almost immediate I find it hard to swallow that his alcoholism was "triggered"

What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about an entire season of gradual decline because clearly he's been a bad teammate from the start

e: oh I worded my original post weirdly. change fastest to effective

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

old dog child posted:

If he didn't have many friends within the organization and said organization was unsupportive (in general), it would not be a stretch to say he started drinking more due to his isolation. That's probably the fastest way to go from a social thing to a serious problem.

I feel like a thing that needs to be said is that drafting Manziel was not the problem. The problem was glad-handing him after he was drafted instead of making him earn a spot. He went his whole college career being a jackass because he could get away with it. Of course he was going to continue that/get worse if you still let him get away with it. And he could still turn it around like a Rich Gannon, just not on the Browns.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

old dog child posted:

What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about an entire season of gradual decline because clearly he's been a bad teammate from the start

I never saw a gradual decline though. Every report I've seen has been "this dude has been a fucker since day 1"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Well, yeah he has been but I'm just saying that he went from being the center of attention to being a guy nobody would want to be around. He drank before with people and shifted to drinking alone. I don't know, I'm just speculating because it's a little weird to me that he's in rehab already.

Skeesix posted:

I feel like a thing that needs to be said is that drafting Manziel was not the problem. The problem was glad-handing him after he was drafted instead of making him earn a spot. He went his whole college career being a jackass because he could get away with it. Of course he was going to continue that/get worse if you still let him get away with it. And he could still turn it around like a Rich Gannon, just not on the Browns.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant. He went from star child to piece of poo poo very quickly. That has to have an effect on a dude who is all about his own ego

e: you can have a problem by social drinking but it probably won't feel like a problem until the people disappear

e2: either way it's loving sad that he wasn't able to control himself. I hope he gets better and finds even mediocre success because I'd like to see him get sacked into eternity

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 5, 2015

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yes but exactly what kind of addict is Manziel, let us investigate this

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Johnny Football needs to play better. No one would give a poo poo about drinking, or partying, or being late to meetings if he didn't play like dogshit every time he stepped on the field.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Darth Brooks posted:

He's got to be happy now.

Yeah, he's about to get him just for trading Dez Bryant or Demarco Murray or something

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

A hobo telling the Browns to draft Manziel may be the best story ever in he NFL.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It seems like La Canfora's story is saying that Farmer and Haslam wanted Manziel in, and Pettine and Shanahan did not. Given that, I am guessing the Farmer texts happened once they put Manziel in, when he started to look lovely. Basically like Farmer thought he knew plays that would work better with Manziel

I did think the play calling sucked once Manziel came in but he also sucked at them so it was kind of a Browns ouroboros

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I will never forgive Jerry Jones' son for robbing us of Manziel as a Dallas Cowboy

even if he ended up good that spectacle would have just been the greatest thing to ever happen

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

NC-17 posted:

Johnny Football needs to play better. No one would give a poo poo about drinking, or partying, or being late to meetings if he didn't play like dogshit every time he stepped on the field.

*Joe Namath nods*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They better not gently caress up their uniforms.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

seiferguy posted:

The Indians had the longest sell out streak in baseball until the Red Sox beat
them: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Indians#Sellout_streak

Baseball goodwill requires a few good seasons before you start seeing consistent sellouts. Having one good season won't turn the tide.

Most of that streak happened when the Browns weren't a NFL team and the Indians were consistently one of the best teams in baseball. The Browns are the only organization in Cleveland that can keep selling out games when the team is poo poo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nothing filled me with dread quite like reading a few NFL writers report that the Browns were looking into Bryce Petty around the time of the senior bowl.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Frackie Robinson posted:

They better not gently caress up their uniforms.

At least on the helmet, Nike is adding a texture to the stripe and changing the shade of orange to something more oklahoma state than cleveland

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I don't understand how someone who has run a good business can gently caress up hiring a bunch of smart football dudes, letting them do poo poo, and quietly sitting in the background with minimal meddling. The only time the owner is the focus of a football or a pro sports team its because they're loving garbage and the owner/owners are like human turds. Why does he insist on putting himself out there?

My uncle is a Browns fan and its just depressing to watch a game with him. He's so hopeful every year, but its like immediately quashed a few weeks in. This year he was so excited for Hoyer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ho fan posted:

Most of that streak happened when the Browns weren't a NFL team and the Indians were consistently one of the best teams in baseball. The Browns are the only organization in Cleveland that can keep selling out games when the team is poo poo.

In all honesty, that's generally the case in most cities. Because of football's popularity, as well as scarcity of tickets (only 8 home games a year), games will sell out even if the team is bad. Even when the Seahawks have bad seasons, they sell out - but the Mariners who have been consistently bad maybe only get a couple sell outs in a season, on opening day and when a popular team comes to town. I have to imagine this is the case in other cities too, unless the football team has a stadium issue (like the Chargers).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

wtftastic posted:

I don't understand how someone who has run a good business can gently caress up hiring a bunch of smart football dudes, letting them do poo poo, and quietly sitting in the background with minimal meddling.

Haslem is a criminal and an idiot who was born into his billions and now he gets to play football coach and nobody can say no.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

seiferguy posted:

In all honesty, that's generally the case in most cities. Because of football's popularity, as well as scarcity of tickets (only 8 home games a year), games will sell out even if the team is bad. Even when the Seahawks have bad seasons, they sell out - but the Mariners who have been consistently bad maybe only get a couple sell outs in a season, on opening day and when a popular team comes to town. I have to imagine this is the case in other cities too, unless the football team has a stadium issue (like the Chargers).
Great case in point: a year after the Vikings went 6-10 and had after they had traded away both Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper, the team set a record for number of season ticket holders.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Manziel should get a mentor. Maybe somebody who played QB in the NFL while drinking successfully. Maybe one... Kyle Orton?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The first half of the season was really loving fun to be in the area and everyone was super nice but then it led to the fact that everyone's heads got too big and then when they inevitably crashed and burned everyone was super loving salty about it to the point of it tasting like pringles dipped in tears

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I never saw a gradual decline though. Every report I've seen has been "this dude has been a fucker since day 1"

Absolutely. He didn't do anything different in college than he did this season in Cleveland, but the fanatic Texas A&M fanbase (also most of TFF) would just wave it away with their hands and say "lol Johnny's awesome" or "Johnny being Johnny!".

It's funny how that behavior doesn't really work in the pros.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Big Jesus posted:

Manziel should get a mentor. Maybe somebody who played QB in the NFL while drinking successfully. Maybe one... Kyle Orton?

Is Orton a legit alcoholic? I know he drinks a ton but was he a guy who would go home after practice and down a fifth of jack? There's some athletes like that. Bret Boone would go home after a game and down 9-13 beers before passing out to sleep.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Febreeze posted:

I will never forgive Jerry Jones' son for robbing us of Manziel as a Dallas Cowboy

even if he ended up good that spectacle would have just been the greatest thing to ever happen

Stephen Jones owns and I'm pretty sure he's been the one running the team since 2008. It seems like Jerry Jones is just the face of everything while Stephen works in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Big Jesus posted:

Wade Boggs

• Locked thread