Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510

The Big Jesus posted:

Manziel should get a mentor. Maybe somebody who played QB in the NFL while drinking successfully. Maybe one... Kyle Orton?

Maybe Kosar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Kerry Collins

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Rob Bironas

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I still don't believe the story about the hobo telling Haslem to draft Manziel. I posted about it before but it is not believable. I think it was a PR bullshit lie that Haslem thought made him sound cool, but really makes him sound even dumber than he already does.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

I still don't believe the story about the hobo telling Haslem to draft Manziel. I posted about it before but it is not believable. I think it was a PR bullshit lie that Haslem thought made him sound cool, but really makes him sound even dumber than he already does.
It's the Browns. Anything is believable. Maybe the hobo was a regular at one of Haslam's truck stops.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The story comes from Haslam himself so if it isn't true he's an even bigger idiot for making up some dumb poo poo like that. It's stupid to let some homeless dude run your draft. It's next level, advanced stupid to pretend some random homeless dude is running your draft

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

The Big Jesus posted:

Manziel should get a mentor. Maybe somebody who played QB in the NFL while drinking successfully. Maybe one... Kyle Orton?

Super Bowl Champion Joe Namath.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Simplex posted:

The story comes from Haslam himself so if it isn't true he's an even bigger idiot for making up some dumb poo poo like that. It's stupid to let some homeless dude run your draft. It's next level, advanced stupid to pretend some random homeless dude is running your draft

I think he thought it would be some endearing story. However, when you read the account, it is ridiculous. Somehow he is "out to dinner" and a homeless guy "comes up to him on the street" and says "draft Manziel"

How would a homeless guy recognize him?
Haslem has like 3 billion dollars, he is parking valet. He has security. No homeless guy is coming up to him.
Even if a homeless guy comes up to him, he isn't saying "draft Manziel"

I mean there is no way to prove it, but I would lay a massive bet it is a fake story. Any odds, just let me bet.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Simplex posted:

Assuming it's false, I can see him thinking it puts a "hey look I'm a great owner that listens to the people" PR spin on his horrible ownership.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Browns should trade up and draft Winston.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ribsauce posted:

I think he thought it would be some endearing story. However, when you read the account, it is ridiculous. Somehow he is "out to dinner" and a homeless guy "comes up to him on the street" and says "draft Manziel"

How would a homeless guy recognize him?
Haslem has like 3 billion dollars, he is parking valet. He has security. No homeless guy is coming up to him.
Even if a homeless guy comes up to him, he isn't saying "draft Manziel"

I mean there is no way to prove it, but I would lay a massive bet it is a fake story. Any odds, just let me bet.

It's just a folksy yarn that makes Haslam sound like a man of the people - rubbing elbows with a bum - and adds to the lore of future super star Johnny Football. Of course it's not true.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I was so happy about football up until December of this year.

I now hate it so much.

Why do you do this to me Browns?

Why every year?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
For a moment i honestly thought that last years thread had been somehow resurrected. Incredible.

Is that 20~ minute docu-style recap of the Browns from 94 until now up anywhere? Last I recall it had been yanked from youtube unfortunately.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Also you just need to apply Occam's Razor to the hobo story.

Dressed haggardly? Recommendation for new coach/player somehow backfires in the worst possible way on unsuspecting rival?

Hi Billy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

kalensc posted:

Also you just need to apply Occam's Razor to the hobo story.

Dressed haggardly? Recommendation for new coach/player somehow backfires in the worst possible way on unsuspecting rival?

Hi Billy.
Haslam left out that the hobo whispered "Pick Johnny" into his ear while he was giving him a twenty-dollar handy.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

I was so happy about football up until December of this year.

I now hate it so much.

Why do you do this to me Browns?

Why every year?

hey getting to december with hope was a step forward for the franchise

hope for the browns usually dies in october

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Sour Diesel posted:

hey getting to december with hope was a step forward for the franchise

hope for the browns usually dies in october

No it usually dies the first time we play Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I just realized that Bill Belichick's greatest accomplishment is not to win a Super Bowl, but to win a playoff game with the Cleveland Browns.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

I just realized that Bill Belichick's greatest accomplishment is not to win a Super Bowl, but to win a playoff game with the Cleveland Browns.

Those were old browns.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Jimmy Haslam doesn't listen to his GMs or coaches, why does everyone believe he'd listen to a bum?

Haslam had his mind made up already and if the bum story is true, he only listened because he wanted Manziel already

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I just started the sentence "The Browns are at least ___ years away from competing" in my head but then I realized I don't even know how far they are, it's too far to count.

It feels like the farthest I've ever seen them, because I don't think we can attract any good free agents and TextGate now extends that to coaches and we can only climb out of those holes with good drafting and we just drafted two historically bad fuckups with our two first round picks

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

football fuckerman posted:

I just started the sentence "The Browns are at least ___ years away from competing" in my head but then I realized I don't even know how far they are, it's too far to count.

The Browns are 1 good QB away from competing. Just like the rest of the NFL.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't agree, and anyway where would we get this good QB? I don't see a free agent signing with the Browns over his other options, and in the draft, well, we just blew a pick on Johnny Manziel and our pathetic hope that he develops might stand in the way of picking a QB this year, too

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chifley posted:

Those were old browns.

Same city, same misery.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I don't agree, and anyway where would we get this good QB? I don't see a free agent signing with the Browns over his other options, and in the draft, well, we just blew a pick on Johnny Manziel and our pathetic hope that he develops might stand in the way of picking a QB this year, too

The plan is to start Manziel all next year in the most unintentional tank job since Dan Orvlovsky for the Lions.

In true Browns fashion he will look good in the final 3 weeks, not only pushing them back into the 5-7 spot, but also convincing people he needs another year.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I hope you're wrong/joking about the plan though. Holy poo poo, what other team would start a player after he was utter dog poo poo the previous year

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I doubt manziel figures into the plans at all at this point but who knows.

I'd love to see a final breakdown of what happened to every draft pick involved in the Trent/Johnny trades.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jimmy Haslam doesn't listen to his GMs or coaches, why does everyone believe he'd listen to a bum?

Haslam had his mind made up already and if the bum story is true, he only listened because he wanted Manziel already

Because it's really really really funny

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

If we're already at the "Johnny Football is a bust" stage, the journey was a lot less entertaining than I imagined it would be.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Burger Trench posted:

If we're already at the "Johnny Football is a bust" stage, the journey was a lot less entertaining than I imagined it would be.

Don't worry, it'll be fun when Mike Glennon or whoever we sign fucks up his knee and we get a few good shots of Pettine looking visibly uncomfortable as he tells Manziel to get in there and gently caress up repeatedly

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

For what it's worth my assumption is that Haslam will pressure/fire anybody who tries to give up on his Golden Boy after a quarter of a season, no matter how bad he was, because if there's one constant through his current regime (all 2 years of it), it's that there's always somebody to blame for failures other than Jimmy Haslam.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
If Haslam is dead set on Manziel, he couldn't have asked for a better OC than Kyle Shanahan, who made RG3 look good and clearly understands how to call plays for a mobile QB. Too bad Shanahan pled his way out and we now have a first-time OC whose QB legacy is: Derek Carr

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

con posted:

The Browns are 1 good QB away from competing. Just like the rest of the NFL.

Imagine if every team had a Brady/Manning/Rodgers/etc. Would the games be awesome or totally boring?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Bigass Moth posted:

I'd love to see a final breakdown of what happened to every draft pick involved in the Trent/Johnny trades.

Let's see:

First Trade Cleveland trades up 1 spot for their fourth, fifth, and seventh round picks with Minnesota.

Minnesota drafts:

-Matt Kalil (OT), who went to the Pro Bowl (injury alternate) in 2012 and started in all games in all 3 seasons
-Jarius Wright (WR), who made a year 3 jump and set career highs for catches and yards and played all games in the last 2 years.
-Robert Blanton (SS), played all but 4 games in the his 3 seasons.
-traded the 7th round pick to get AJ Jefferson (cut) and a pick which with they drafted Michael Mauti (ILB) who played a total of 15 games for them.

Cleveland drafts:

-Trent Richardson

Next trade is Richardson for Indianapolis' first round draft pick. Cleveland trades the pick + 3rd rounder to Philly, they draft Manziel.

Philadelphia drafts:
-Marcus Smith (LB) in the first round, played 4 games and seems to be a bust
- After a further trade Jaylen Watkins and Taylor Hart, who both look like busts too.

Overall it seems that the only team that really bettered itself with the trades was Minnesota in 2012. There must have been a bidding war for Richardson as I dont see the Vikings drafting a RB in the first with AP on the roster.
The other 3 teams mostly drafted/traded for terrible players, with Indy and Cleveland really feeling the pain of their mistakes.

I Own Soulz posted:

Imagine if every team had a Brady/Manning/Rodgers/etc. Would the games be awesome or totally boring?

Billy five-aces would still destroy them all.

If Haslam is dead set on Manziel, he couldn't have asked for a better OC than Kyle Shanahan, who made RG3 look good and clearly understands how to call plays for a mobile QB. Too bad Shanahan pled his way out and we now have a first-time OC whose QB legacy is: Derek Carr

Shanahan runs a scheme that is to difficult for an alcoholic to learn.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 6, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I don't think it's fair to give up on manZiel but they can't go into the season expecting anything from him. His trade value has hot to be about zero as well so I don't think he's going anywhere unless hey cut him which seems unlikely.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

Maybe he should read this book

http://www.amazon.com/Snake-Ken-Stabler/dp/0385234503

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't think it's fair to give up on manZiel but they can't go into the season expecting anything from him. His trade value has hot to be about zero as well so I don't think he's going anywhere unless hey cut him which seems unlikely.

Yeah, as bad as Manziel looked, he's only played a game and a half. I'm not sure at what point you completely give up on him but it seems too early at this point.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

The best option is probably have him as your 3rd QB make him play on special teams (if he can beat out other special teams player, if not cut his rear end) for the next season and look if he can learn the playbook and develop the right work ethic. Otherwise you get RG4 without the talent/skills.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Yaws posted:

Yeah, as bad as Manziel looked, he's only played a game and a half. I'm not sure at what point you completely give up on him but it seems too early at this point.

Plus he only started putting in any sort of studying once he was declared the starter, at least that's according to what has been said about him around the facility. Maybe by making him the starter and surrounding him with coaches who want to work with him it might get him focused and comfortable? Not saying that will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Yeah because everyone accommodating his laziness has had real great rests so far.

• Locked thread