Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The problem comes with the whole "prospect" thing is you either need to have an insanely good culture in place (read: Patriots, Eagles).

The Browns...do not have that fortune right now. They're a joke of an organization that really, truly needs a LeBron-like QB savior to kick their asses into gear. They're not the type that can grab the NFL equivalent of Kawhi Leonard...then sit back watch him grow and then 3 years down the road they have a consistent pro-bowl players playing for them.

They need to find a guy like a Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Pre-Dog Fighting Michael Vick, Elway or someone of that note to get them out of this poo poo hole they've found themselves in.

I realize that is asking a lot. But at this point that is there only option, and likely the only one that will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that really is the biggest problem with quarterbacks coming out of college into the draft, no teams nowadays are willing to take a guy and give him the Aaron Rodgers treatment, especially if they're taken in the first round. The only one I can think of is what the Broncos are potentially doing with Brock Osweiler, having him sit behind Manning while Manning is in his twilight years, but it's yet to be shown if they've actually been coaching him up the way the Packers did with Rodgers.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Packers and Patriots will absolutely have coached up their guys for whenever their QB succession is upon them.

I don't think anyone else is going to have that fortune. Maybe the Cowboys if they draft Romo's successor in the next two years. Flacco might be an Elite Mentor too when the time comes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alouicious posted:

that really is the biggest problem with quarterbacks coming out of college into the draft, no teams nowadays are willing to take a guy and give him the Aaron Rodgers treatment, especially if they're taken in the first round. The only one I can think of is what the Broncos are potentially doing with Brock Osweiler, having him sit behind Manning while Manning is in his twilight years, but it's yet to be shown if they've actually been coaching him up the way the Packers did with Rodgers.

I've seen the Browns attempt to do this several times.

The end result was something like this:

-The Browns bring in some average to lovely veteran FA to mentor/place hold for a year or so.
-The Browns then draft some mid-range QB prospect with the promise that he'll be on the bench for a year or so.
-lovely veteran QB looks awful, and then gets hurt.
-Mid-Range QB prospect looks decent for a few games, shows promise...then like a deer in the headlights get killed by someone playing for the steelers
-Veteran QB ends up leaving, Mid Range QB prospect starts the next year..looks like poo poo, and then we finish 5-11
-Browns use the 22nd pick (IT'S. ALWAYS. THAT. ONE) on some QB that pretty much every good team passed on.
-Mid-Range QB prospect loses his job, The 1st round pick starts. Mid-range QB finds himself as some other team's back up.

It's just not a good thing for this team, and it needs to stop. They need to find Football LeBron, somehow some way. Some guy you can just put in there and not have to coach up all that much.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've seen the Browns attempt to do this several times.

The end result was something like this:

-The Browns bring in some average to lovely veteran FA to mentor/place hold for a year or so.
-The Browns then draft some mid-range QB prospect with the promise that he'll be on the bench for a year or so.
-lovely veteran QB looks awful, and then gets hurt.
-Mid-Range QB prospect looks decent for a few games, shows promise...then like a deer in the headlights get killed by someone playing for the steelers
-Veteran QB ends up leaving, Mid Range QB prospect starts the next year..looks like poo poo, and then we finish 5-11
-Browns use the 22nd pick (IT'S. ALWAYS. THAT. ONE) on some QB that pretty much every good team passed on.
-Mid-Range QB prospect loses his job, The 1st round pick starts. Mid-range QB finds himself as some other team's back up.

It's just not a good thing for this team, and it needs to stop. They need to find Football LeBron, somehow some way. Some guy you can just put in there and not have to coach up all that much.

Trade the entire draft of two years for Brady

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Make a play for Brees, Cutler, or Rivers. Just take a shot. They might not be all that anymore but they'd still be years better and worth a 1st....and this one Manziel.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

The Packers and Patriots will absolutely have coached up their guys for whenever their QB succession is upon them.

because the Pats have done such a good job drafting potential successors to Brady lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ehud posted:

because the Pats have done such a good job drafting potential successors to Brady lol

Handsome Jimmy G will be the One, you hear me?????

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raku posted:

Browns draft injury curse will not be denied and causes Brady to literally fall apart into his constituent atoms

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Raku posted:

No joke, I heard this as a "rumor on Twitter" from somebody in my hockey locker room.

I couldn't find any evidence of it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Gatts posted:

Make a play for Brees, Cutler, or Rivers. Just take a shot. They might not be all that anymore but they'd still be years better and worth a 1st....and this one Manziel.

Rivers has said if the Chargers move 30 minutes up the road to LA, he ain't going. Ain't no way he plays for Cleveland, trade or no.

That said, Rivers would be an amazing get for the Browns.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
People say a lot of things. Then they check their bank account.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

The Browns need a LeBron? I don't think there are any positions in the current NFL that can make that kind of impact.

I hope the NFL is around long enough for the Browns to roster 53 clone Jim Browns

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

NC-17 posted:

People say a lot of things. Then they check their bank account.

Pretty sure the Browns bank account looks just fine. If there is one thing that isn't a problem its our salary cap.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I still think Sam Bradford is better than any QB the Browns could take at pick #19 or even #12. And there's no question QB is far and away the team's biggest need. Sooooo I am inclined to think it would be all right to trade it for him. But if they don't I won't be heartbroken

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Pretty sure the Browns bank account looks just fine. If there is one thing that isn't a problem its our salary cap.

He means Rivers will wind up breaking his little vow when he thinks about how much he could make

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I just cant imagine trading a first for Bradford. That just feels like such a short term let down. He's got 4-5 yeras of mediocrity left in him... is that 1st round worthy? Maybe it is. Itd be nice for Cleveland to have some sort of barometer for the rest of their team

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I just cant imagine trading a first for Bradford. That just feels like such a short term let down. He's got 4-5 yeras of mediocrity left in him... is that 1st round worthy? Maybe it is. Itd be nice for Cleveland to have some sort of barometer for the rest of their team

I Believe in Sam Bradford.

Mostly because the alternative is sadness, but I still believe!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Well here's this from rotoworld

quote:

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns
Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Eagles are not interested in trading for Johnny Manziel.
A rumor hit the internets earlier this week that had the Eagles and Browns talking about a deal that would send Manziel plus draft picks to Philadelphia for Sam Bradford. Cole doesn't deny that the two teams have been talking, but says the discussions have centered around the Eagles wanting to acquire the Browns' first-round picks in an effort to move up in the draft for Marcus Mariota.
Okay if we're even considering giving the Eagles enough ammo to trade up and get Mariota, we need to just trade up and get Mariota ourselves

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

football fuckerman posted:

Okay if we're even considering giving the Eagles enough ammo to trade up and get Mariota, we need to just trade up and get Mariota ourselves

Given the incredible success the Browns have had on first round QB picks this is a good idea

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This blows, Chip is actually the one coach that might be able to turn Johnny into what he was meant to be... a hilarious, play-extending, coke-addled foot magician.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Given the incredible success the Browns have had on first round QB picks this is a good idea

I'm wondering if the problem isn't that their drafting is bad, but their talent development is.

If Andrew Luck had gone to the Browns, would he still be good?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Mediocre would be a godsend for a browns qb.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Man I can think of at least one team that needs to get on that and ASAP

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

computer parts posted:

I'm wondering if the problem isn't that their drafting is bad, but their talent development is.

Yeah being given an incompetent offense to lead while having no professional experience with a coaching staff that has no reputation for development while shouldering nearly 2 decades of fan frustration does not make for good rookie performance

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't understand how Sam Bradford is being talked about as viable option for a franchise. If you get close to a full season from him it's a minor miracle, and said play is only a marginal upgrade over a Fitzpatrick or a Chad Henne.

What am I missing?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Burger Trench posted:

What am I missing?

Brown's logic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Burger Trench posted:

I don't understand how Sam Bradford is being talked about as viable option for a franchise. If you get close to a full season from him it's a minor miracle, and said play is only a marginal upgrade over a Fitzpatrick or a Chad Henne.

What am I missing?

Well an NFL coach is backing him so of course people are going to try and justify it.

Its dumb but coaches fall in love with players all the time, and I don't think it works out that often.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Trade Manziel to the Chiefs, surely a young guy with substance abuse issues wouldn't be neglected there

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

computer parts posted:

If Luck had gone to the Browns there is a good chance he may have made the super bowl by now. The Browns are very good a putting together solid teams. The problem has always been no stability at QB. The Browns almost always play close games, and usually knock out 5-6 wins a year while playing in what is consistently the toughest division in the NFL. The Colts lost Manning for a year, and barley won two games despite playing the Titans, and Jaguars twice.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah being given an incompetent offense to lead while having no professional experience with a coaching staff that has no reputation for development while shouldering nearly 2 decades of fan frustration does not make for good rookie performance

lmao fans in Cleveland are to blame, yes. that's why Manziel's jersey was a top seller before he put on a jersey himself and he had absolutely fanatical support up until he played like dog poo poo for 11 quarters then skipped rehab, the kind on his injury

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There is a 100% chance of Mariota busting on the Browns while its less if he was on the Eagles.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lmao fans in Cleveland are to blame, yes. that's why Manziel's jersey was a top seller before he put on a jersey himself and he had absolutely fanatical support up until he played like dog poo poo for 11 quarters then skipped rehab, the kind on his injury

I didn't say the fans were to blame, I said the fact each rookie QB is shouldering the hopes of a very frustrated fan base makes it hard for them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

computer parts posted:

The last time the Browns truly drafted a top 5 talent at QB was Tim Couch.

Tim looked really promising but was on a poo poo team. He'd have likely been winning a few division titles on any other teams besides the Expansion Browns.

The last drafted QB's the Browns have taken have been Luke McCown (04) in the 4th, Charlie Frye in the 3rd (05), Brady Quinn with the 22nd overall pick (07), Colt McCoy in the 3rd (10), Brandon Weeden with the 22nd overall pick (12), Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick (14)..

Would Andrew Luck have looked like poo poo? I kind of doubt it. Dude played on a team that somehow found a way to be WORSE than the Browns the season prior, and I think he'd have looked decent.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

If Luck had gone to the Browns there is a good chance he may have made the super bowl by now. The Browns are very good a putting together solid teams. The problem has always been no stability at QB. The Browns almost always play close games, and usually knock out 5-6 wins a year while playing in what is consistently the toughest division in the NFL. The Colts lost Manning for a year, and barley won two games despite playing the Titans, and Jaguars twice.

Also this. I would even notice this in the mid-2000's that they would duel with the Steelers and Ravens only to run out of gas because of poo poo Quarterbacking on our side, and HOF-level on there's.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Brady Quinn was a good pick who didn't pan out. Can't fault the browns for that too much.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Brady Quinn was a good pick who didn't pan out. Can't fault the browns for that too much.

One...two...three... three false statements ah ah ah

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
He did pan out? Guess I missed that.
Really the browns biggest miss was passing on Ben because they had just signed.... Jeff Garcia!!!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One...two...three... three false statements ah ah ah

You are retroactively judging that decision. Quinn was suppose to be pro ready and everyone expected Miami to take him at #9. Then the Tedd Ginn Family Experience happened and we all watched Quinn sweat it out. Of course all the other quarterbacks they've drafted have been horrible reaches or projects doomed to failure.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Smiling Mandrill posted:

You realize that last year was the first season in a long time where the titans were terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Weeden was definitely a reach. Quinn was not. I remember the lead-up to the draft, I'd never heard "pro-ready" more often about any other prospect.

that is probably because they couldn't bring themselves to say accurate, smart or good, but hey

I'd be interested in looking back at first-round QBs and seeing who their coaches were, what the coaches' pedigrees were, and whether there's a correlation between good, well-qualified coaches and successful QBs. Obviously the instinct is to say yes, but it's not necessarily true I guess

• Locked thread