Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

football fuckerman posted:

Weeden was definitely a reach. Quinn was not. I remember the lead-up to the draft, I'd never heard "pro-ready" more often about any other prospect.

that is probably because they couldn't bring themselves to say accurate, smart or good, but hey

I'd be interested in looking back at first-round QBs and seeing who their coaches were, what the coaches' pedigrees were, and whether there's a correlation between good, well-qualified coaches and successful QBs. Obviously the instinct is to say yes, but it's not necessarily true I guess

It pains me to defend Brady Quinn, but he never really had much of a shot with the Browns under Mangini. I'm not sure if it ruined him, or if he was just crap regardless, but Mangini yanked him in and out of the lineup instead of just letting him learn from his mistakes.

Anyway just look at these great choices!

2014 - Manziel, 1st round (22nd pick)
2012 - Weeden, 1st round (22nd pick)
2010 - McCoy, 3rd round
2007 - Quinn, 1st round (22nd pick)
2005 - Frye, 3rd round
2004 - McCown, 4th round
2000 - Wynn, 6th round
1999 - Couch, 1st (1st overall)

The only guy on that list that isn't a reach is arguably Quinn. And Couch, who's ruination is Cleveland's own fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Weeden was definitely a reach. Quinn was not. I remember the lead-up to the draft, I'd never heard "pro-ready" more often about any other prospect.

that is probably because they couldn't bring themselves to say accurate, smart or good, but hey

I'd be interested in looking back at first-round QBs and seeing who their coaches were, what the coaches' pedigrees were, and whether there's a correlation between good, well-qualified coaches and successful QBs. Obviously the instinct is to say yes, but it's not necessarily true I guess

I would also look at coaching and offensive tools at the college level too

Weeden stands out as a guy who very much excelled because of being held up in college

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i think whether Quinn concealed his flaws, or the Browns screwed him up, either way he wasn't a reach at that point in the draft.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would also look at coaching and offensive tools at the college level too

Weeden stands out as a guy who very much excelled because of being held up in college

yeah it's hard, i don't mean to treat all QB prospects the same or anything. I just wonder how the hell a team like the Browns can pull together the three or four necessary elements:

- Good coaches
- Franchise QB
- Good supporting cast
- Smart front office

It seems like they get one or two, then the one or two want to get the gently caress out before they get the other parts. They haven't had the QB since maybe Tim Couch, though, so that's why I and so many other fans are saying that's the only thing that matters

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Metapod posted:

You realize that last year was the first season in a long time where the titans were terrible?

They went 7-9 and 6-10 in their prior two seasons and play in one of the weaker divisions in football. If it's not "terrible", it's at least "pretty bad."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

It seems like they get one or two, then the one or two want to get the gently caress out before they get the other parts. They haven't had the QB since maybe Tim Couch, though, so that's why I and so many other fans are saying that's the only thing that matters

I think Cleveland uses "good QB" as a panacea for their many problems though. Arguably Cleveland would have been a lot better having built a team by taking the best picks available to them instead of constantly trying to find "the" quarterback.

If (Palmer era)Arizona, Seattle, and other teams prove anything, its that you can be surprisingly effective with an ok QB and a strong team around him. Given how absolutely gutted the Browns offense is at this point, you could draft JoeDan Unitas-Brady and he would not make anything happen next season.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think Cleveland uses "good QB" as a panacea for their many problems though. Arguably Cleveland would have been a lot better having built a team by taking the best picks available to them instead of constantly trying to find "the" quarterback.

If (Palmer era)Arizona, Seattle, and other teams prove anything, its that you can be surprisingly effective with an ok QB and a strong team around him. Given how absolutely gutted the Browns offense is at this point, you could draft JoeDan Unitas-Brady and he would not make anything happen next season.

The counterpoint is that an amazing QB - like Andrew Luck, and Manning before him - can cover up many front office sins.

But the Browns are never going to find an amazing QB at pick #22.

VVV You can't really just handwave away losses because the quarterback threw interceptions.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Burger Trench posted:

They went 7-9 and 6-10 in their prior two seasons and play in one of the weaker divisions in football. If it's not "terrible", it's at least "pretty bad."

They went 7-9 that one season because they lost a lot of close games due to Fitzpatrick throwing an interception in every 2 minute drill situation like it was clockwork

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NC-17 posted:

The counterpoint is that an amazing QB - like Andrew Luck, and Manning before him - can cover up many front office sins.

But the Browns are never going to find an amazing QB at pick #22.

Frankly I think a competent team with an ok QB is a much more feasible goal than lucking out on a top-tier rookie QB.

I mean, in the past fifteen years, how many teams were successful with mid-tier qbs and good support vs. mediocre teams with excellent qbs?

Plus, if you luck out and somehow manage to get an amazing QB WITH a good team you get the Patriots/80s Niners.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Browns offense hasn't really been gutted until Josh Gordon hosed up repeatedly and Jordan Cameron was injured this past year. Yeah it's not a good look starting Miles Austin and Taylor Gabriel, but in 2013 they had 4 offensive Pro Bowlers, and before you say anything all four deserved it: Gordon, Cameron, Mack and Thomas. It's not amazing, but it's workable.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

mid-tier qbs and good support vs. mediocre teams with excellent qbs?

One of these just beat the other in the Super Bowl, a year after the roles were reversed. it's not that simple, really

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The assumption would also be that having a good QB would allow for better coaching and potentially better free agents to come through Berea than in years past.

Do you think Chip Kelly is yanking us around like a dick if we had someone competent under center with an under achieving team? Do you think Free Agents are by passing the chance to play with an up and coming QB?

They need to take care of this. Once it has been taken care of? We can start talking about defensive players to draft, wide recievers, and such. Until then? We're just waiting around limp dick at 5-11 for all of eternity.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

The assumption would also be that having a good QB would allow for better coaching and potentially better free agents to come through Berea than in years past.

This strikes me as a very much chicken and egg situation.

One of these just beat the other in the Super Bowl, a year after the roles were reversed. it's not that simple, really

I don't think its realistic at all to call the 13 Broncos or 14 Patriots an ok team with a great QB. You put Brady on last year's Browns and have them play Manziel on last year's Patriots and my money would still be on New England.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I understand both sides of it. I see what ol Mel is saying, the Browns have been too desperate to get the QB and they've passed up good prospects in the process (Dee Ford, Kelvin Benjamin, Dominique Easley, and DeMarcus Lawrence were taken after Manziel). But I also believe the Browns' biggest need over the past decade has been a competent QB, they should try repeatedly to get one, and they can't get good without one. I don't think he has to be the football LeBron, I just think he has to be good, very good or great.

Where those two things intersect is, the front office really thought that Johnny Manziel would be good, very good or great, and he has not been, and doesn't seem likely to be. Same with Weeden, different FO though. So what we need is like...good scouting, on a prospect we can actually acquire. This is apparently extremely elusive

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think its realistic at all to call the 13 Broncos or 14 Patriots an ok team with a great QB. You put Brady on last year's Browns and have them play Manziel on last year's Patriots and my money would still be on New England.
I wouldn't ask you for your money until Manziel's ninth or tenth fumble

You seriously can't believe that the Browns, who had the league leader in interceptions last year until he got hurt, wouldn't force Manziel into three and outs and turnovers all day.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

. So what we need is like...good scouting, on a prospect we can actually acquire. This is apparently extremely elusive

Yeah, this is the ticket I think. They could arguably find a decent QB with good scouting outside of the first round and not blow their load on whoever they can justify at first.

I wouldn't ask you for your money until Manziel's ninth or tenth fumble

You seriously can't believe that the Browns, who had the league leader in interceptions last year until he got hurt, wouldn't force Manziel into three and outs and turnovers all day.

Its weird to put out rules for a pure hypothetical but I would be working on the assumption that Manziel would have the benefit of the coaching and front office of the Pats and vice-versa. Which is kinda what I meant. The inherent support structure and philosophy of the Patriots office I think could do more for a bad QB than a good QB could do for a dysfunctional coaching staff and management like the Browns had last season.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 9, 2015

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well, the Browns had a lot of trouble defending the run last year, so Belichick would probably glower at Manziel then hand the ball off 50 times after the first insanely lovely interception.

But yeah, I do think the Browns problem is more due to sheer turnover then anything else except maybe finding a QB. They've been looking for the QB, but then the coach gets loving fired after 2 years, and there's absolutely no stability to build into anything. They're on their 5th OC in the last 6 years, and everyone expects Pettine to be fired if the Browns suck this year. Maybe all their head coaches have been this bad, but blowing it up again just leaves any good coaching candidate looking for a better job.

But then again, if the coach is just bad you're just sucking anyway if you stick with them... it's a frustrating problem.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NC-17 posted:

It pains me to defend Brady Quinn, but he never really had much of a shot with the Browns under Mangini. I'm not sure if it ruined him, or if he was just crap regardless, but Mangini yanked him in and out of the lineup instead of just letting him learn from his mistakes.

Anyway just look at these great choices!

2014 - Manziel, 1st round (22nd pick)
2012 - Weeden, 1st round (22nd pick)
2010 - McCoy, 3rd round
2007 - Quinn, 1st round (22nd pick)
2005 - Frye, 3rd round
2004 - McCown, 4th round
2000 - Wynn, 6th round
1999 - Couch, 1st (1st overall)

The only guy on that list that isn't a reach is arguably Quinn. And Couch, who's ruination is Cleveland's own fault.

Quinn was drafted to play by Romeo and was basically done by the time mangini showed up

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Well, the Browns had a lot of trouble defending the run last year, so Belichick would probably glower at Manziel then hand the ball off 50 times after the first insanely lovely interception.

But yeah, I do think the Browns problem is more due to sheer turnover then anything else except maybe finding a QB. They've been looking for the QB, but then the coach gets loving fired after 2 years, and there's absolutely no stability to build into anything. They're on their 5th OC in the last 6 years, and everyone expects Pettine to be fired if the Browns suck this year. Maybe all their head coaches have been this bad, but blowing it up again just leaves any good coaching candidate looking for a better job.

But then again, if the coach is just bad you're just sucking anyway if you stick with them... it's a frustrating problem.

They should just rename the team the Cleveland Catch-22's.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The longer its been since the Browns have been successful the more desperate they are to be successful right away. It means they take radical steps for a quick fix that just make things worse.

Think about an E/N poster who is 20 and has never even kissed a girl and is so desperate to get some action he starts following PUA tactics and talking about betas and poo poo.

That's the Browns right now

What I am saying is the Browns just need to give in and gently caress a fat chick.

EDIT: I think I lost control of the metaphor by the end there

EDIT 2: Perfect spherical breasts

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 9, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The longer its been since the Browns have been successful the more desperate they are to be successful right away. It means they take radical steps for a quick fix that just make things worse.

Think about an E/N poster who is 20 and has never even kissed a girl and is so desperate to get some action he starts following PUA tactics and talking about betas and poo poo.

What I am saying is the Browns just need to give in and gently caress a fat chick.

The Browns should sign Jared Lorenzen?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm dying laughing because I was going to quote you with perfectly spherical breasts stuff and then you edited your post

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

I'm dying laughing because I was going to quote you with perfectly spherical breasts stuff and then you edited your post

perfect spherical breasts will probably be the funniest thing I ever read on TFF

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you neg Bradford he will try twice as hard to score for you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

The Browns should sign Jared Lorenzen?

https://vine.co/v/OlpdKUiz5VO

Why can't you embed vines?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

smh Jared you don't need to wear a shirt we all think you're beautiful

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It really is a Catch-22. It's tough because obviously you need to dump bad coaches and bad players. When commentators just say "they need some stability" it's just really dumb and unhelpful. Did keeping Dick Jauron for 4 years help the Bears or the Bills? Should they have kept him for 7 or 8 years just to really soak in that 7-9 feeling?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It really is a Catch-22. It's tough because obviously you need to dump bad coaches and bad players. When commentators just say "they need some stability" it's just really dumb and unhelpful. Did keeping Dick Jauron for 4 years help the Bears or the Bills? Should they have kept him for 7 or 8 years just to really soak in that 7-9 feeling?

I would say don't dump the bad coach until you know there is a better coach you can get.

Right now they keep shuffling the deck but all the cards are "how to play rummy"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Problem is loving a fat chick won't solve the issue. They want the attractive woman and part of it is set but it is more about validation.

What I'm saying is we are the fat chick and the Browns are riding us and we have to get them the beautiful QB princess so they can finally be satisfied.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would say don't dump the bad coach until you know there is a better coach you can get.

Right now they keep shuffling the deck but all the cards are "how to play rummy"

believe it or not, Bill Cowher doesn't want to leave the CBS desk to coach the Browns. The Browns are gonna land a good coach like the Harbaughs, a guy out of college or the coordinator ranks with no HC experience. They're not going to get someone who is obviously already a great coach, because that guy doesn't want to leave New England, CBS or NBC to coach a lovely team. So they're left replacing relatively faceless coordinator with relatively faceless coordinator, which is what they have to do until one of them turns out to be a Harbaugh rather than a Crennel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

believe it or not, Bill Cowher doesn't want to leave the CBS desk to coach the Browns. The Browns are gonna land a good coach like the Harbaughs, a guy out of college or the coordinator ranks with no HC experience. They're not going to get someone who is obviously already a great coach, because that guy doesn't want to leave New England, CBS or NBC to coach a lovely team. So they're left replacing relatively faceless coordinator with relatively faceless coordinator, which is what they have to do until one of them turns out to be a Harbaugh rather than a Crennel.

But then, even when they get a competent coach like Norv or Shanahan they drive them off because they have no faith in their own job security.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'll coach the Browns.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

What they need is:

A power vacuum in the division

Multiple successful drafts

A generational D Lineman

A competent QB

Then they're primed for leonine success

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Moxie posted:

What they need is:

A generational D Lineman

A competent QB

what about new helmets

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

I'll coach the Browns.

I'd like to GM. Or President it. Whatever is the one where I also get to manage drafts and evaluate players and build poo poo.

And have a G5 and tell evil dooers to get off of my plane.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Moxie posted:

What they need is:

A generational D Lineman

A competent QB

lol that's the worst part, even putting together all these things all we might get is a few 9 and 10 win seasons then we go and hire the next Jim Caldwell *points to a big rock that kinda looks like a toad*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I want to use Marvin Lewis as an example of just sticking with a guy as he figures poo poo out, but even he came in with a #1 overall QB prospect.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kalli posted:

I want to use Marvin Lewis as an example of just sticking with a guy as he figures poo poo out, but even he came in with a #1 overall QB prospect.

the best example of this is Bill Belichick probably

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

the best example of this is Bill Belichick probably

How's that? He had ONE 5-11 season, then won the Super Bowl the second year. Also worth noting that they fired Pete Carroll to bring in Bill-and Carroll had taken the Patriots to the playoffs in two of his three seasons as head coach. That isn't exactly Jobian patience.

Unless you're referring to Bill's time in Cleveland, which doesn't make sense in this context.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The best example is Joe Philbin.

Soon you'll see.

Soon you'll all see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

unl33t posted:

How's that? He had ONE 5-11 season, then won the Super Bowl the second year. Also worth noting that they fired Pete Carroll to bring in Bill-and Carroll had taken the Patriots to the playoffs in two of his three seasons as head coach. That isn't exactly Jobian patience.

Unless you're referring to Bill's time in Cleveland, which doesn't make sense in this context.

lol you're right, I thought he had at least one more mediocre year in New England before the success came.

His time with the Browns could fit what I'm talking about, not many teams would let a guy go 6-10, 7-9, 7-9 and give him a fourth season, when he went 11-5. At the end of that third season we'd all be wondering why he was sticking around, and I wouldn't blame a team for firing a coach in that situation

• Locked thread