Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So I haven't watched the whole video, but is it just me or do the moth-bats seem to spawn out of Maria's crotch/vagina? Wouldn't be the first time Silent Hill has weird monster birthing symbolism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Molly Millions posted:

The red egg might be a symbol of Mary Magdalene. The story goes that she demonstrated the power of Christ by holding a white egg in her hand before the Emperor of Rome and magically staining it red with his blood. The egg supposedly represents purity, sacrifice, and the stone rolling away from Jesus's tomb and revealing the miracle of the resurrection. Mary Magdalene is apocryphally described as a prostitute, which contrasts with the purity of the Virgin Mary, so there's an obvious Mary/Maria thing there, which is echoed with the one egg being rust and the other being blood colored.

The game isn't exactly heavy on the Christian iconography but it's specific enough that it seems like an obvious reference.
Oh neat! Never heard of this stuff/interpretation but I like it a lot! :) (Which is weird cuz I went to a Catholic school, lol.) I kinda associated Mary with, well, Mary, but I didn't expand that at all to Maria/Magdalene!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

First time I ever played Silent Hill 2, I got the In Water ending. Guess I looked at that knife too much...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Speedball posted:

First time I ever played Silent Hill 2, I got the In Water ending. Guess I looked at that knife too much...
I think one of the most easy ways to fall into it is not healing yourself until you're almost dead.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Double congratulations!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'd have liked to hear you both discuss Event Horizon to death actually because it's been a while since I watched it and a fresh, complete look at it would be pretty awesome.

Congrats on finishing the LP at any rate! It's been tons of fun and I can't wait to see SH3 this way.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

Double congratulations!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I guess we got the UK version of the SH2 box cover art (here in Australia); that's what I've got on my shelf.

I definitely agree with you two about the cult stuff being one of the weaker parts of the SH games. I played SH2 first, thought "this story is amazing!", and then was disappointed when I played SH1 and SH3. (Then there was SH4, which is actually my favourite after SH2.)

If we're sharing favourites from the SH2 soundtrack, I think mine is Betrayal - which we heard in this video, playing during the double pyramid-head (... all the way) boss fight. It's just perfect for that moment.

Thanks for persevering through all the technical problems, VB, and thanks for a cool LP. Looking forward to Born from a Wish, looking forward to SH3.

Molly Millions posted:

The red egg might be a symbol of Mary Magdalene. The story goes that she demonstrated the power of Christ by holding a white egg in her hand before the Emperor of Rome and magically staining it red with his blood. The egg supposedly represents purity, sacrifice, and the stone rolling away from Jesus's tomb and revealing the miracle of the resurrection. Mary Magdalene is apocryphally described as a prostitute, which contrasts with the purity of the Virgin Mary, so there's an obvious Mary/Maria thing there, which is echoed with the one egg being rust and the other being blood colored.

The game isn't exactly heavy on the Christian iconography but it's specific enough that it seems like an obvious reference.

None of this occurred to me at all; that's cool. That does make sense. There's even that song on the soundtrack called Magdalene (which now makes me think of Paint it Black every time; thanks VB).

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Thanks, y'all! :D I'm cross-posting some fanart from Twitter here!

From @westerngenre

From ‏@hawk16zz

Antistar01 posted:

None of this occurred to me at all; that's cool. That does make sense. There's even that song on the soundtrack called Magdalene (which now makes me think of Paint it Black every time; thanks VB).
Omg, loving duh! What's wrong with me not drawing this all together and bringing that poo poo to the egg situation?? lmao.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The mary magdalene thing really connects all the dots, doesn't it? Now I need to go back through and see what else fits that.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Also one egg being blood colored and one egg being rust colored might also be kind of like real vs fake--IE Mary was real (blood) and Maria was artificial (rust) but that's the kind of thing where if you think too hard about it you start going down the same road as that circumcision guy and soon you're yelling about how Henry's apartment in 4 symbolizes an egg he needs to hatch out of.

anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGKXner5Ig

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
I really enjoy the accidental podcast part of these videos. It adds quite a bit to the viewing experience. Btw, I didn't realize we were supposed to hassle you about being an adult with a social life. I'm not very good at giving people grief over that, but I'll give it a shot. Something about inequitable distribution of romantic opportunities irrespective of effort or attractiveness. Something obligatory about beta males... This is really, really stupid. I guess I'll just have to quietly be happy for you instead.

I am not quite sure what I make of James at the end of the game. I'd probably have to watch it again to get a firmer sense of it. I can definitely see your interpretation of James being too weak to live with what he has done, whatever his motivation for having done it, but I am not entirely sure I agree. My initial impression of this ending was that James was firmly rejecting the fantasy presented by Maria and embracing the likely mixed motivations he had for killing Mary. I tend to side with the "his intentions were mostly noble" interpretation, but by removing the obvious fantasy in Maria, he seems to have triggered himself into questioning all his motivations. Obviously, he could not have prevented her from dying in the near term. She was clearly a fatal case. Yet he was the one to kill her before she was ready (if she ever would have been ready), and he was freed from a lot of responsibility by that death. I imagine even the strongest people, faced with such a challenge to their perception of their own motivations, would be inclined to see some of the flaws and faults that were papered over by the noble facade. If we take it in the sense that he believed his own motivations to be selfish in the first place, the scene would represent him seeing what was, perhaps, for the better in what he had done and finding that inadequate to excuse him. In that sense, Maria won the fight merely by existing. I read it as he succumbed to despair not over his actions per se, but rather over his loss of trust in himself and his own perceptions. As I see it, James' faith in what makes him human and connects him to humanity has been lost at the end there, and he can no longer live with that.

I know that I am splitting hairs here over the definition of what weakness means in this context, but I see the James character as weak only in the sense that he devoured himself in the absence of some connection to others now. That makes me think the leave ending (where he leaves with the kid, right?) would be another plausible expression of the same energy, just with a focus on someone else so he does not devour himself. I see it that he can live with what he was done, but he absolutely needs a human connection to continue to live at all. I see it more as he is too self-isolated at the end than weak per se. His suicide is more the ritual enactment of what he had already done symbolically by killing Mary (and his own innocence in that sense).

I'm curious how other people interpret it.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
I don't know Catholic mythology at all so I'd never heard the Mary Magdalene thing before either, so I'd always taken the eggs to represent old blood and new blood: either one for Mary and one for Maria, which is the natural choice, or the two people James has personally killed: one for Mary and one for Eddie. It doesn't fit as neatly, but hey, it's Silent Hill. Looking at everything from every angle is what we're here for, right?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm far more partial to the Leave ending, because I think the game works better thematically having Silent Hill be James' purgatory to atone for killing Mary. And I really like it doesn't sugercoat James and makes him a really complex and broken man, he loved Mary and didn't want to see her suffer, but there was still a dark part of him deep down that wanted her gone so he could finally be free. In Water doesn't sit right with me because I feel it kind of makes the events of the game pointless to an extent, if James really just wanted to kill himself why not just let ol' Pyramid Head run him through and be done with it? Really in such a scenario where he just wants to punish himself by suicide how's he even able to defeat Pyramid Head? I like the Maria ending as a better bad ending because James has learned nothing and history is just going to repeat himself.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I still love that which ending everyone believes or likes to think is canon/correct depends entirely on how they feel about James, it's some goddamned A+ writing on their part.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

tlarn posted:

I still love that which ending everyone believes or likes to think is canon/correct depends entirely on how they feel about James, it's some goddamned A+ writing on their part.

He's just ambiguous enough of a character that there's a lot of ways to view him. I like that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Accordion Man posted:

if James really just wanted to kill himself why not just let ol' Pyramid Head run him through and be done with it? Really in such a scenario where he just wants to punish himself by suicide how's he even able to defeat Pyramid Head?

Maybe he repressed his memories/emotions and running away from scary men with large knives and geometric shapes for heads helped him remember? Or you could interpret all of the danger from Silent Hill as a way of getting him ready, psyching him up by keeping him under constant threat of death, or just as a way to wear him down and remove an last remaining sense of self preservation.

And I'm no expert on Silent Hill, this lp is pretty much my only experience with the game, and my knowledge of the broader fan community comes from following Voidburger's tweets about some guy's obsession with foreskins, but isn't the canon ending whichever one has the dog/aliens?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

White Coke posted:

Maybe he repressed his memories/emotions and running away from scary men with large knives and geometric shapes for heads helped him remember? Or you could interpret all of the danger from Silent Hill as a way of getting him ready, psyching him up by keeping him under constant threat of death, or just as a way to wear him down and remove an last remaining sense of self preservation.

And I'm no expert on Silent Hill, this lp is pretty much my only experience with the game, and my knowledge of the broader fan community comes from following Voidburger's tweets about some guy's obsession with foreskins, but isn't the canon ending whichever one has the dog/aliens?
There is no canon ending. James' dad is a supporting character in 4 and he mentions that he hasn't seen James and Mary in years but that's inconclusive. (For example if James lived he couldn't go back to his old life no matter the ending)

The only canon endings are Ending B for Silent Hill 1 and Homecoming makes Origin's good ending canon (Travis appears in the beginning) as well as SH3's (Douglas is mentioned in a file that he worked to help weed out the Silent Hill cult in the years after SH3) if you are willing to accept that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 14, 2016

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Thank you both for an absolutely excellent lp of one of my favorite games of all time. as a whole, i'm not a...fan, per se, of anything horror, being a self-proclaimed babby, but the silent hill series has always just pulled me in, with silent hill 2 just standing head and shoulders above the rest. Having played it countless times upon times through, i had my friends play through it as well, but they just couldn't get past the game's age and the old tank controls, never giving it the thought that it deserved, but you two really understand what a gem this game really is.

So again, thank you.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Accordion Man posted:

In Water doesn't sit right with me because I feel it kind of makes the events of the game pointless to an extent, if James really just wanted to kill himself why not just let ol' Pyramid Head run him through and be done with it?

Not really arguing for one ending or another here, but in In Water's defense, the whole game was about James figuring out how he feels about himself and what he did. It's not just him unlocking repressed memories, it's him trying to get some objectivity. The Town's plan was probably to torture him forever like it's doing with Angela, but he was able to unpack what he did and why, and that was the breakthrough he needed to get out. He wasn't absolved by his experiences, he just managed to break Silent Hill's spell on him and either move on or end his own life.

Maria would be more of a "I didn't learn anything" ending, as James doesn't really get any resolution and events are set up to repeat themselves. I kind of like Rebirth better as a bad ending, but I'm not sold on the idea that James understands the situation in Silent Hill well enough to try to take control over it like that. It definitely feels like it's something straight out of Lovecraft, though, and sets up how the cult might operate far better than anything that happens in SH3.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
One reason I actually don't mind the cult in the SH series is that it's made pretty explicitly clear that the cult is no more in control of the town than anyone else-that their ideas and beliefs are feeding the town, but that they ultimately are as victim to it as anyone else.

hawk16zz
Jan 11, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

From ‏@hawk16zz

I've made it to the big top!

This episode was worth the wait and I'm super looking forward to Silent Hill 3!!! All my knowledge of Silent Hill has come from your LPs, cause I was a Sega/XBox kid, keep 'em up cause they're great!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Great LP. I knew about the different endings but I didn't know what preceded them so half of the fun of watching this whole series was waiting to find out which ending you got. Worked out pretty well!

(dog ending, best ending, canon ending)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So I started watching Stranger Things after this episode brought it up. I'm only on Episode 3 right now, but it is really intense and also hard for me to watch. Also, hilariously enough, I was wearing the exact same thing Lonnie was wearing when he first showed up, so that was weird.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, VB and Kamoc were right, these kids in Stranger Things are really good actors.

Someone hire them to make a Goonies 2 before they're all too old.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

In the interim between updates, I started looking around your older Let's Play of SH1 and your last update there said something about explaining the mythos of Silent Hill. Stick puppets were going to be involved (which looked amazing, by the way). Think you'll one day explain it, since you're going to do SH3?

I'm greedy as hell.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Pan Dulce posted:

In the interim between updates, I started looking around your older Let's Play of SH1 and your last update there said something about explaining the mythos of Silent Hill. Stick puppets were going to be involved (which looked amazing, by the way). Think you'll one day explain it, since you're going to do SH3?

I'm greedy as hell.
That got canceled due to having a terrible camera and things just being super dang complicated! I still have the physical stick figures somewhere in my parents' house, though. That idea eventually got expanded to be The Grate Debate (sort of... we haven't gotten to any episodes about SH lore, only P.T. stuff, but yeah, TGD was kind of an extension of that "explain things" idea.)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I'm still waiting for the new, Voidburger-mixed, Silent Hill 2 theme song. :D

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TGD on Event Horizon?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thanks for the LP, Burger'n'Bob. Good stuff.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

thecluckmeme posted:

TGD on Event Horizon?

Yeah that or something like it would be pretty cool.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Heck just a semi-irregular podcast about Silent Hill/TP stuff would be great!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've read this thread from the start but never contributed due to being far less familiar with the nuances of the series than most of the posters. This is somewhat off topic but I don't know of a general SH thread anywhere, so if this is too far outside of the box let me know.

Is anyone familiar with the differences between the ports of some of these games, especially 2? Here's what I know about the various ports of each game in the series:

> SH1 came out only on the PSX unless Wikipedia and I are woefully mistaken
> 2 was originally a PS2 game but had an XBox port called Restless Dreams, if memory serves; the PC port of 2 was identical to the XBox version as far as I know.
> 3 had a PS2 and PC version, but I have no idea how much they differ if any.
> 4 was, like 2, PS2/XBox/PC, and I think that they were all the same but, again, I'm not sure.
> Origins was PSP/PS2 with only minor graphical upgrades on the PS2 port from what I hear.
> Homecoming was PS3/360/Windows, with no differences between the lot from what I've seen.
> Downpour was PS3/360 with identical ports, again as far as I know.
> Shattered Memories was PS2/Wii/PSP, but I know of no differences amongst the three apart from controls, obviously

So, does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with any of the alternate versions/ports? Am I in error with any of my assumptions above?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

I've read this thread from the start but never contributed due to being far less familiar with the nuances of the series than most of the posters. This is somewhat off topic but I don't know of a general SH thread anywhere, so if this is too far outside of the box let me know.

Is anyone familiar with the differences between the ports of some of these games, especially 2? Here's what I know about the various ports of each game in the series:

> SH1 came out only on the PSX unless Wikipedia and I are woefully mistaken
> 2 was originally a PS2 game but had an XBox port called Restless Dreams, if memory serves; the PC port of 2 was identical to the XBox version as far as I know.
> 3 had a PS2 and PC version, but I have no idea how much they differ if any.
> 4 was, like 2, PS2/XBox/PC, and I think that they were all the same but, again, I'm not sure.
> Origins was PSP/PS2 with only minor graphical upgrades on the PS2 port from what I hear.
> Homecoming was PS3/360/Windows, with no differences between the lot from what I've seen.
> Downpour was PS3/360 with identical ports, again as far as I know.
> Shattered Memories was PS2/Wii/PSP, but I know of no differences amongst the three apart from controls, obviously

So, does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with any of the alternate versions/ports? Am I in error with any of my assumptions above?
2 and 3 PC's ports are the best thanks to fan mods which make them better HD versions than the official HD versions.

PS2 Origins had worse sound and music, which is a big enough negative considering I like Origins' soundtrack.

PS2 and PSP Shattered Memories are garbage compared to the original Wii version.

Homecoming on PC is garbage from everything I heard and barely runs.

I think the PS3 version of Downpour runs a bit worse than 360? Either that or vice versa.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Accordion Man posted:

PS2 and PSP Shattered Memories are garbage compared to the original Wii version.

Could you explain? I only played the PS2 version, and like JustJeff88 said as far as I know controls are the only difference, right? I've heard a lot of people really struggled with getting the game to register the "shove the monster off you in a direction" motions so I don't know if I really lost that much immersion by controlling cursors with the analog stick instead of a wiimote :shrug:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

Could you explain? I only played the PS2 version, and like JustJeff88 said as far as I know controls are the only difference, right? I've heard a lot of people really struggled with getting the game to register the "shove the monster off you in a direction" motions so I don't know if I really lost that much immersion by controlling cursors with the analog stick instead of a wiimote :shrug:

I would actually really like it if someone could sound off on the PS2 version of Shattered Memories. It's the only Silent Hill game that I know gently caress all about and, even though it's not as highly regarded as 2, I would like to pick up a copy somewhere. The PS2 version secondhand goes for about $50 while the Wii and PSP versions are usually about $20 each, give or take. I have all of those systems, but I'd rather not try the PSP version because I have huge Flintstone hands and the PSP is a little uncomfortable for me and Wii controls in general get up my nose. So, I'm inclined to get a PS2 copy if it's a solid port. I recently picked up Homecoming and Downpour for PS3 for about a tenner each, and I'd like to finish the collection.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JustJeff88 posted:

I would actually really like it if someone could sound off on the PS2 version of Shattered Memories. It's the only Silent Hill game that I know gently caress all about and, even though it's not as highly regarded as 2, I would like to pick up a copy somewhere. The PS2 version secondhand goes for about $50 while the Wii and PSP versions are usually about $20 each, give or take. I have all of those systems, but I'd rather not try the PSP version because I have huge Flintstone hands and the PSP is a little uncomfortable for me and Wii controls in general get up my nose. So, I'm inclined to get a PS2 copy if it's a solid port. I recently picked up Homecoming and Downpour for PS3 for about a tenner each, and I'd like to finish the collection.

I beat the wii version like 5 times and the controls were pretty decent as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a Very Serious Gamer though.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
This was a good LP thank you! Looking forward to your next project!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

JustJeff88 posted:

ShatMemz stuff
If you end up getting the Wii version, my biggest gameplay suggestion is to DISREGARD the motion that the game tells you to do to get bad dudes off you. It's a loving lie. Just flick the sticks hard in any direction to get them off, don't do the big sweeping realistic arm motion the game's tutorials actually suggest. Also, I did an LP of that game with Chip and Snark, but you probably know that already and wanna play it for yourself regardless of having seen it or not!

BY THE WAY, PEOPLE. Did you know that I'm doing a 24-hour Extra Life charity stream with Chip and Ironicus soon?

Look forward to it!! (Next updates are gonna be a little bit delayed due to preparations for Gextra Life, but they're still a-coming!)

ALSO, friends: I'm getting back into streaming since my big move! Tonight I'm streaming the PS1-retro-styled horror game Back In 1995 with most of the Scream Team from Bob's streams (Chip might be pinch-hitting for Bob, who is out doing ~birthday things~ :toot:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Sorry to bump the thread without those last couple of supplemental videos, but there is other very exciting VoidBurger news I thought some of you may be interested in! I'm in a game! I voice acted the character Aveline (opposite Brad Muir) in 100 Foot Robot Golf, which is out today on PSN! Maybe check it out! Be amazed as I struggle to praise a dog for 20 whole seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJQjvZwvP0
You can hear me groaning at the bad pun at the end of this trailer, even! Wow!

• Locked thread