Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Jackard posted:

Sent them in-game feedback yesterday but wasn't expecting a reply let alone this soon.. wonder how much they were given.

This kind of thing is like half the reason I'm bothering with the alpha instead of waiting for release. They probably got a lot of people shouting at them yesterday, and I wouldn't be surprised if they responded to all of it. They do like, open Q&A in voicechat when tests are happening. If you ask a question on their forum, they'll respond with big effortposts about their design methodology. You can shoot them emails and they respond too.

They may be kind of spotty on stress test design, but I still always got the sense they gave a poo poo.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
New Dev recap on the test. Also:

Dev Blog posted:

You guys sent in over 250 bug reports so far and I’m barely keeping up with reading, documenting and replying to each single one.

Yup, called it, they're totally giving individual responses to every bug report. I'm not sure if that's dedication or masochism.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Pavlov posted:

New Dev recap on the test. Also:

Yup, called it, they're totally giving individual responses to every bug report. I'm not sure if that's dedication or masochism.

It's sick is what it is.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Helmholz posted:

It's sick is what it is.

:agreed:

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Game looks awful but full loot pvp is always interesting. Will try and get in on this.

Edit: Logged in, flawlessed some dude with a bow with my easy to hit scythe and then there was not much else going on. A bit too early access for my tastes but I hope it will turn into something good later on.

Ninogan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 9, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Problem with that is most of the poo poo you looted was useless because the game locked you into your starting loadout.

Hopefully this issue will be addressed, players shouldn't have such important decisions during character creation!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Hey assholes remember this game? Remember how all the sound effects were hilariously awful placeholders? Well it looks like they discovered sound design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKcUEK0eSKM

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Did they ever figure out that's not what a desert actually looks like.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

No but I don't usually judge my MMOs on geological realism.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So they're having a close alpha test this upcoming saturday (the 28th), and it looks like it should be a lot better than the last one. The devs supposedly sent out a bunch of alpha keys recently, did anyone manage to get one?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nothing :shrug:

What's different from last time?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

As far as gameplay goes the big ones are:

The map is 4x as big, so hopefully you can move without tripping over a zerg now.

There's a little neutral village that lets people actually get all their skills / make basic gear before building a guild town.

There are 2x the number of resource points, with more than one active at a time, so the whole map doesn't try to fit in the same 10 meter square.

They put in kind of a GW2 style rez/dunk system for dealing with downed players.

A basic weight system. You have to split up the resources if you want to get enough to build town stuff, so more targets to steal from.

Edit: Also a world map so you can tell where the hell you are.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 23, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like what they should have done last time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, it's almost like they're responding to feedback or something.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That open was pretty clearly hosed right from the start. Whats the purpose of making this a closed test? Seems like what they need for an honest open look at the early game.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, it's almost like they're responding to feedback or something.

No no it can't be pavlov it can be that they followed up on emails and responses I don't want to believe it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Jackard posted:

That open was pretty clearly hosed right from the start. Whats the purpose of making this a closed test? Seems like what they need for an honest open look at the early game.

They seem to go through rounds of 'people who spent $$$', closed testers, open testers. I think they get different kinds of feedback from different groups. They seem to have this issue where they really want to bring in people and show off what they've done, but they also don't want to turn off everyone with the problems that are still there. I'm also hoping they realized that the last open test miffed some people and they want to get this one down better in-house before they try to show it off to the public again.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

The last test seemed like the whole point was to have as much poo poo as happening in a space as possible. It was obvious it was a work in progress and if someone doesn't understand that well they have brain problems

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Some dude with an eclectic taste in music took some good footage of the last playtest, which turned out pretty drat fun. I was on the other side, and I'm sure if you look closely you can spot me somewhere shooting my allies in the back. Game is getting pretty ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUJ-rB7LTZc

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

It's from an old vampire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMLMV6E4CM

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 21, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Guess what game has a Kickstarter now? Quick, part yourselves from your dollars! But honestly, if you were on the fence, an early-bird special is probably the best deal you're going to get.

I also updated the OP a bit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Kickstarter? *makes a sign against evil*

Looks like B2P, $45 for basic edition

Twenty dollars too much, I'm thinking

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Yeah I was really expecting this to be a 20 dollar game

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Honestly yeah it is a bit. They're not particularly desperate for funding, so they're selling for a bit less than retail price with some added perks tacked on. It is a buy to play game so I think they don't want to cut too deep into their release sales and go under from lack of funding later on.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

So the kickstarter's doing kind of mediocre, but it still has a good chance to be funded. The devs have been giving pretty much daily updates on various topics, the most recent of which was pretty cool. The game's not going to have quest givers, but just having a big empty space to fight people in gets boring after a while, so they've posted their planed list of world events for people to do in down-time and/or coax people into fighting over. Some of which are pretty creative.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

To people who thought the kickstarter was too expensive, here ya go:

Dev Blog posted:

We have collected a lot of feedback over the last week. One thing that we heard a lot was that €40 is a bit too expensive for a game during early alpha. We still feel that a higher launch price is necessary, because we are making a very specialized game for a niche audience (and thus will sell fewer copies than if we made it a game “for everybody”). But we still want to give more people the chance to support us now and experience the game first hand for a lower entry price. So we have come up with the concept of the SENTINEL tier.

The Sentinel gives access to a number of short sneak-preview events during alpha and beta, which will take place at key points along development. Access to these will also be given to every backer at the NOMAD tier or above. SENTINELS additionally gain the ability to play one full server season (up to 3 months) after launch, and will receive 10-20% off the price of the full game when they upgrade after launch. These two things will not be added to the higher tiers, since they already have access to the full game forever.

If you get an early bird it's €15 ($16), and you get invites to some random test days through the alpha/beta, plus access to one seasonal server at launch. If you like it, you can upgrade to the normal game for €25 after launch, otherwise you're only down 15 on a game priced at 50. If you weren't sure about the game, or thought it would only be good for a goonrush, this is pretty much the "I'm not sure about this game" package.

The other thing they mentioned was that the first 'sneak peak' is on the 31st, which is before the kickstarter ends. I guess that means if you pledge now, they'll send you an email in the next week with a key for that day. You could withdraw your pledge after that if you wanted, but I'll love you more if you don't. Anyone interested?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Pavlov you are slipping!? (?)

With two days remaining, the kickstarter is only halfway to the goal

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 8, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah the kickstarter is pretty boned. The game's still getting made though and they'll probably get some of it anyway from people shifting their kickstarter pledges to founders packs from their site.

You only needed to fake-pledge for the test before this and no one seemed interested, so I didn't mention the one tomorrow. I'd still be willing to wrangle something if people want though.
I figure if HMO goons were going to care they would have by now. Thinking I'll make a new thread in Games when this hits beta and try recruiting MOBA players :whitewater:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Pavlov posted:

You only needed to fake-pledge for the closed test before this and no one seemed interested
Well yea, that's way too much :effort: especially since their last public showing was such a failure

I never touched normal kickstarters with a ten foot pole, let alone risky ones

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 8, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I guess people spent all their money on crowfall instead.

Crowfall! :argh:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Honestly this genre has too many failures any dev is gonna need more goodwill or a more impressive showing

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
How's the new alpha?

Also Rabbi, where's your blog?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Will check it out after work, should we use the CTS mumble?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jackard posted:

Will check it out after work, should we use the CTS mumble?

makes sense, Make a sub channel or something in angry dome and you'll get a bunch of other people who will just migrate over

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The free day is live right now? I'll download it when I get home and walk around for five minutes before getting murdered and quitting.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yup, free day today.

Ok, if you want to group up, come to the CTS mumble Misc->Angry Dome->Das Tal. I'll be hanging out there.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I made clan BOOBS and ran around murdering people with my fellow boob lovers for an hour or so. Pretty fun for a bare-bones game when it wasn't lagging too bad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Well poo poo. Worked late and the new graphics card arrived today, taking all my spare time figuring that out.

Any good videos of the latest test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Not sure. If there are they probably haven't been posted yet.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 25, 2015

• Locked thread