Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Says it's not valid. Anyone got a fresh one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tunicate posted:

You sure? That should be good for 50 uses.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

You sure? That should be good for 50 uses.

Same error here.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait there are comics set in The Old Republic? Are they good? Should I read them?

The original Knights of the Old Republic is one of my favorites and has a permanent place on my SD card. It can be both lighthearted and incredibly dark (the opening, for example, contains more moral ambiguity than the entire BW MMO).

I wasn't too fond of its sequel, War. Other than that, I enjoyed some of the Jedi Council limited series and Star Wars Tales.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tunicate posted:

kojicolnair posted:

Same error here.

Sure you don't already have that one? It's an old code

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah that might be it, I clicked one of those earlier today. Just started playing again so no idea what they even are.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's an older code, sir, but it checks out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It's an older code, sir, but it checks out.

Was gonna say, I just looked it up and it was the only one it said "not expired" on.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Sure you don't already have that one? It's an old code

What's a Vharya?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

What's a Vharya?

A guild member who didn't have a mount. :)

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

I was instructed by Fuzz (I think) to throw this referral code out into the wilds of the thread as even getting 1 person to use it is apparently a Big Deal. If this isn't kosher let me know and I'll get rid of it right quick.

http://www.swtor.com/r/scTkHw

Question about the gameplay though (and one that I know is going to be pointless in a few weeks anyway) but should I be trying to compartmentalize my crafting/professions per character or specializing? Ie, most crafting profs seem to require 2 gathering profs. Since you get 3 skills per char, should I try to keep those all self contained or instead really specialize in one thing (a gathering skill like Treasure Hunting or whatever) along with something like Slicing per character and then mail/stronghold bank all my mats to my person who builds stuff? I could also be completely overthinking this and it isn't at all important but I would like to make some space money on the side before I hit the point where I can do dailies for it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Was gonna say, I just looked it up and it was the only one it said "not expired" on.

I was just quoting Return of the Jedi!

My favorite one to pull out while in a group is from the same scene: "I'm endangering the mission. I shouldn't have come."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can anyone craft my lightning sorc a The Chopper? I'll pay you in credits/mats/erp, whatever you want. Send it to Zzaapp (two of each letter, easy to remember).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

FelixReynolds posted:

I was instructed by Fuzz (I think) to throw this referral code out into the wilds of the thread

What, did he get probated or something? Because I can't see him missing an opportunity to shill his referral link.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Jan posted:

What, did he get probated or something? Because I can't see him missing an opportunity to shill his referral link.

Nono, that's mine- he said that it's worth throwing out because just getting even 1 person to use it gives you the best bonus from the referral program, which is the always-on-110% speed speeder. I'm definitely not trying to push it on any and all comers. :D

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FelixReynolds posted:

Nono, that's mine- he said that it's worth throwing out because just getting even 1 person to use it gives you the best bonus from the referral program, which is the always-on-110% speed speeder. I'm definitely not trying to push it on any and all comers. :D

Yeah, this. If you're starting out or have alt-itis, that speeder is the poo poo.

tentacles posted:

The original Knights of the Old Republic is one of my favorites and has a permanent place on my SD card. It can be both lighthearted and incredibly dark (the opening, for example, contains more moral ambiguity than the entire BW MMO).

I wasn't too fond of its sequel, War. Other than that, I enjoyed some of the Jedi Council limited series and Star Wars Tales.

Those weren't the originals... :ssh:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 6, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

More specifically, it gives you the equivalent of rank three speeder training (+110% movement speed) regardless of what level your character's at. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it's really noticeable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asimo posted:

More specifically, it gives you the equivalent of rank three speeder training (+110% movement speed) regardless of what level your character's at. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it's really noticeable.

More to the point if it's the one I'm thinking of it's a pretty good looking speeder if you like a very functional-looking RotJ-style speeder bike.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cythereal posted:

More to the point if it's the one I'm thinking of it's a pretty good looking speeder if you like a very functional-looking RotJ-style speeder bike.

It's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6lRwHsCPg

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I have the Kurtob speeder through the referral thing and on new characters it only goes 90% and that's all it says on the tooltip?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FelixReynolds posted:

I was instructed by Fuzz (I think) to throw this referral code out into the wilds of the thread as even getting 1 person to use it is apparently a Big Deal. If this isn't kosher let me know and I'll get rid of it right quick.

http://www.swtor.com/r/scTkHw

Question about the gameplay though (and one that I know is going to be pointless in a few weeks anyway) but should I be trying to compartmentalize my crafting/professions per character or specializing? Ie, most crafting profs seem to require 2 gathering profs. Since you get 3 skills per char, should I try to keep those all self contained or instead really specialize in one thing (a gathering skill like Treasure Hunting or whatever) along with something like Slicing per character and then mail/stronghold bank all my mats to my person who builds stuff? I could also be completely overthinking this and it isn't at all important but I would like to make some space money on the side before I hit the point where I can do dailies for it.

You're probably overthinking it.

Personally, I find it easier to just have a cybertech character, a biochem char, etc. and know that they probably have the mats in the bank to make whatever is needed. As a sub you shouldn't be going broke unless you're spending all your money trying to powerlevel something like splicing, and if you're going broke trying to level up a skill, then stop leveling up that skill for a bit until your wallet is a bit fatter.

If you can't afford a speeder? Click this link, http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/19f4p0 , (It's a cantina code) for a free speeder. I just saved you 15k in space bucks from having to buy a speeder.

The amount of space cash you can make from selling low level crafting mats without going out of your way to collect those mats will be completely dwarfed by how much you can make at end game by just doing a few dailies. That's why low level mats are relatively expensive. Subscribers can easily blast through content without keeping their gathering skills up to level. (Scavenging is probably the easiest gathering skill to keep matched up to your level, mainly because you can scavenge off of dead robots, and you end up fighting a poo poo ton of robots.)

And space cash isn't even all that big of a deal at end game.

Some of the end-game level gear mods can cost a pretty penny, but if you were the type of person who really needs ops level gear, you would also be the type of person running ops, and getting gear from drops.

At max level, most of the things you're going to be blowing space cash on is cosmetic poo poo like mounts, playing Barbie dress up with costumes, and designing Barbie's dream house. (OK, Barbie probably wouldn't buy a house on Dromund Kaas and fill it with Holocrons.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 6, 2015

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

thrakkorzog posted:

(OK, Barbie probably wouldn't buy a house on Dromund Kaas and fill it with Holocrons.)

She would if she wanted to unlock the mysteries of the Sith

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can anyone craft my lightning sorc a The Chopper? I'll pay you in credits/mats/erp, whatever you want. Send it to Zzaapp (two of each letter, easy to remember).

I sent you one through Tavios. Free of charge. Just send it back if you already have one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

I sent you one through Tavios. Free of charge. Just send it back if you already have one.

Thank you!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The best part about the Chopper is the insane amount of mats it takes still because it was an "endgame" weapon, it actually has mods in it and isn't just a shell.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

The best part about the Chopper is the insane amount of mats it takes still because it was an "endgame" weapon, it actually has mods in it and isn't just a shell.

It's got a whole +27 End crystal in it!

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Rasmussen posted:

I have the Kurtob speeder through the referral thing and on new characters it only goes 90% and that's all it says on the tooltip?

Literally just took this screenshot on a level 15 dude

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I finally finished trooper last night. Is it just me or is Act 1 good, act 2 boring, and act 3 vaguely interesting? I like, can't even think of a character I particularly liked or a thing other than storming the Bastion that was really cool and fun. All in all I am glad I am done with it.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

wtftastic posted:

I finally finished trooper last night. Is it just me or is Act 1 good, act 2 boring, and act 3 vaguely interesting? I like, can't even think of a character I particularly liked or a thing other than storming the Bastion that was really cool and fun. All in all I am glad I am done with it.

Yeah, different strokes and all but the prologue was basically the most interesting part of the trooper story for me. I played through it twice (Vanguard/Commando) and would struggle to tell you any specifics about it. Someone - in this thread I think - said that it would have been a bit more interesting to have the trooper be more of a nameless cog in the Republic's war machine, kinda like the agent, rather than "The Best Soldier Ever In The Best Unit Ever". That perspective might have made for a more interesting story to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the lack of antagonists is a large part of what let down the second and third acts for the trooper. You never see the Gauntlet or General Rakton until you're boarding it/fighting him, never even hear a word about them between the act's introduction briefing and the finale. Act 1 gives you a good villain you've gotten to know, gotten to know his motivations and backstory, and you make steady progress against him on every planet. Acts 2 and 3 are piddling around until you secure enough plot coupons to go deal with the threat you were told about earlier.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FYI all the old cartel packs are now up on the CM. 4320cc for a hypercrate and 200cc for a pack. Gonna be fun browsing the GTN this weekend.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The finale mission of Act 2 Trooper is pretty fun but the rest of the act is a boring slog, while Act 3 just kind of ends in a complete anticlimax especially when the chancellor just hands general whasisname back if you're light side. :ughh:. Act 1 is actually pretty good but the overall story is just kind of busywork with no real weight or consequence to it all.

And I've said it before, but it doesn't help that the Trooper stays a grunt taking orders the whole way through. Sure they get to be a hero of the republic... but so do the other three classes, but often in more dramatic and interesting ways and while being other things too. If there was some sort of twist to it (that doesn't happen in the tutorial world) or if you were actually a commander who had to make decisions of consequence or... something, but there isn't. I've enjoyed all the other stories, even ones people hate like Knight and BH, but Trooper is just completely unredeemable.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I finished Sith Warrior last night, and it was awesome how many fights I was able to avoid just by saying the right thing. (Also, being Captain Lightside helped.) :swoon:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

FYI all the old cartel packs are now up on the CM. 4320cc for a hypercrate and 200cc for a pack. Gonna be fun browsing the GTN this weekend.

Finally can get my bounty rep up! Hopefully there are some cheap hypercrates.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does this mean I might be able to buy a throne for less than 5 million credits?

I also still have my eye on the jori daragon tunic. I don't like the cape on the gav :x

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Asimo posted:

The finale mission of Act 2 Trooper is pretty fun but the rest of the act is a boring slog, while Act 3 just kind of ends in a complete anticlimax especially when the chancellor just hands general whasisname back if you're light side. :ughh:. Act 1 is actually pretty good but the overall story is just kind of busywork with no real weight or consequence to it all.

And I've said it before, but it doesn't help that the Trooper stays a grunt taking orders the whole way through. Sure they get to be a hero of the republic... but so do the other three classes, but often in more dramatic and interesting ways and while being other things too. If there was some sort of twist to it (that doesn't happen in the tutorial world) or if you were actually a commander who had to make decisions of consequence or... something, but there isn't. I've enjoyed all the other stories, even ones people hate like Knight and BH, but Trooper is just completely unredeemable.

Yeah I definitely did not chose that option because I was like "bitch, are you crazy?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Welp decided to go for a Vice Commandant's hypercrate because I really want the Revan statue. As per anytime I go for anything, no luck. Got a Volatile Saberstaff which currently is going for 10 million+ so not a total waste. And 2/3 of Thana Vesh's outfit...of course, not the expensive parts. :(

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Asimo posted:

Giving Trooper instances that were more like actual military operations would have helped. Have you and a dozen friendly NPCs engage Imperial outposts or patrols or something. Let act 2 be super soldier oorah and act 3 either more of the same or like an actual commander role.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Welp decided to go for a Vice Commandant's hypercrate because I really want the Revan statue. As per anytime I go for anything, no luck. Got a Volatile Saberstaff which currently is going for 10 million+ so not a total waste. And 2/3 of Thana Vesh's outfit...of course, not the expensive parts. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Do people not like the BH story? I mean, the ending kind of lands flat, but in general it was a pretty fun ride with space buds. That was as a mostly LS leaning BH though, I'm guessing DS would be kind of lame as everyone on your ship would hate you (except Skadge)

• Locked thread