Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
One of you Goonleaders get online so I can join. You've dragged me back into this. :argh:

Currently playing StanleyGimble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Medullah posted:

It should be probably noted that almost all (maybe all, don't know what Symala is doing) the officers are on break from the game right now. While this affects inviting, it also means that there's plenty of room for a few of you people playing to step up and try and organize some events. I was big on getting Friday drunken raids going, and they were usually pretty fun. I don't expect that you guys are going to be doing the new stuff, but I'm sure there's enough new people who haven't seen the 50 and 55 raids that would actually be up for running them to see the story.

Yeah I'd love to do these. I just got my Sith Marauder to 50. I know next to nothing about actually raiding in MMOs though. I'm just in this game for the story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tim Jong-un posted:

Despite not being able to get preferred from a referral link im enjoying the bounty hunter story so far, just finished the second world on the great hunt. Ill probably finish up the great hunt story before I stop .

The Great Hunt is an excellent story, make no mistake. How much you like Act 2 will probably depend on how much overarching plot and antagonist you want to justify going to various planets to claim increasingly supposedly impossible bounties, though it also introduces probably the most popular hunter companion and one reasonably well-liked companion. Act 3 is where the game tries to get the hunter seriously invested in major galactic happenings, and despite having all the pieces they should need, it collapses in on a black hole of terrible writing, inexplicable plot events, and lovely characters.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cythereal posted:

The Great Hunt is an excellent story, make no mistake. How much you like Act 2 will probably depend on how much overarching plot and antagonist you want to justify going to various planets to claim increasingly supposedly impossible bounties, though it also introduces probably the most popular hunter companion and one reasonably well-liked companion. Act 3 is where the game tries to get the hunter seriously invested in major galactic happenings, and despite having all the pieces they should need, it collapses in on a black hole of terrible writing, inexplicable plot events, and lovely characters.

And then at the end you get to betray a sith lord, make him kneel before you and beg for his life, and then execute him for being stupid evil.

Like, no joke, that was a fun as gently caress moment, and it was even Light Side.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rosalind posted:

Yeah I'd love to do these. I just got my Sith Marauder to 50. I know next to nothing about actually raiding in MMOs though. I'm just in this game for the story.

For a good "baby's first raid" experience, I'd recommend getting your toon up to 60 and then doing some of the level 50 or 55 raids. They're very easy (level 50 ones at least because many enemies literally cannot hit you, iirc) and will teach you about general raid stuff, like avoiding mechanics and what have you.

You can do it like a practice drill, and pretend as though the enemies are actually threatening to see what the experience is like without having to worry about wiping too much.

Hopefully they'll balance the 60 raids to be "challenging" and not "frustrating" soon because right now they're kind of terrible and not fun.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hopefully they'll balance the 60 raids to be "challenging" and not "frustrating" soon because right now they're kind of terrible and not fun.

Are you talking about Story Mode? :psyduck: They're not really PUG-able, but they're easily doable if you've got voice comms.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Are you talking about Story Mode? :psyduck: They're not really PUG-able, but they're easily doable if you've got voice comms.

They are most assuredly not "easily" done, sorry. I'm sure with a coordinated group with lots of MMO experience can get it done, but they definitely have a skill level required.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah i don't think that's :psyduck:-worthy

We tried ravagers and ToS on with the goon guild a couple times, with everyone in 186 gear (as far as i know anyway) and teamspeak and wiped pretty catastrophically on the second boss of each raid. It's a real leap in difficulty from any other SM raid so far, I don't think that's unfair to say?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah i don't think that's :psyduck:-worthy

We tried ravagers and ToS on with the goon guild a couple times, with everyone in 186 gear (as far as i know anyway) and teamspeak and wiped pretty catastrophically on the second boss of each raid. It's a real leap in difficulty from any other SM raid so far, I don't think that's unfair to say?

To be fair, Dread Fortress was the same way when it first came out. I'm not saying it's crazy out of the ordinary, but "easily done" definitely ain't the right description.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

To be fair, Dread Fortress was the same way when it first came out. I'm not saying it's crazy out of the ordinary, but "easily done" definitely ain't the right description.

Well that's what I mean - they're not much different from any of the other SM raids when they were level-appropriate. If you cleared the other raids when they were released you can clear these ones if you've got decent communication.

For the Revanite Walkers, I believe there's a parser called Star Parse that the person running the bombs can use which has a timer showing exactly when to run the bombs - that's the big hurdle for that fight, making sure your dps window is big enough.

For Bulo, the fight's all about the two tanks. Make sure you know who is supposed to be picking up the barrel to clear the adds every other wave and you should be fine. If you have fully augmented 186 gear from the NM Dread Fortress/Palace raids you've easily got the gear for it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

I guess, yeah.

Plus, my perspective might be a little skewed, because my raiding experience began with level 55 raids after you guys pretty much already had them on farm.

Still, the second bosses on those raids are pretty nuts, with about a million things happening at once and very little room for error. It seems like they should be the hard mode versions of the fights.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I transferred a lvl 46 juggernaut over and have no idea what happened to the skill trees. Can anyone teach me how to juggy? And is Slicing still a great money-maker?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I guess, yeah.

Plus, my perspective might be a little skewed, because my raiding experience began with level 55 raids after you guys pretty much already had them on farm.

Still, the second bosses on those raids are pretty nuts, with about a million things happening at once and very little room for error. It seems like they should be the hard mode versions of the fights.

I actually wasn't playing when Dread Fortress came out. That was during my last sabbatical from the game. I came back and joined the HM raid group as they were progressing through HM DF. That was a giant kick in the dick, but at least we were wiping on Hard Mode. Constantly wiping on SM is just depressing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Khako posted:

I transferred a lvl 46 juggernaut over and have no idea what happened to the skill trees. Can anyone teach me how to juggy? And is Slicing still a great money-maker?

Slicing isn't as good as it was at launch, but can still make a bit of money. Click the link i added in the second post under Juggernaut and you can read Dulfys guide to them, that's going to be your best bet to learn.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Medullah posted:

I actually wasn't playing when Dread Fortress came out. That was during my last sabbatical from the game. I came back and joined the HM raid group as they were progressing through HM DF. That was a giant kick in the dick, but at least we were wiping on Hard Mode. Constantly wiping on SM is just depressing.

Don't worry! The HM versions of the current raids are legitimately more difficult than Nightmare Dread Fortress :suicide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Don't worry! The HM versions of the current raids are legitimately more difficult than Nightmare Dread Fortress :suicide:

Yeah eff that. I think my days of progression raiding are behind me.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I'm on as Sassic if anyone wants to do anything/generally just chat as we play tonight.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
[NOTE: Guild has hit cap again. No more invites until an officer can log in and do some culling... unless they trust me to do it.... :ohdear: ]

I'll be logging in for a few hours shortly (8.45pm US EST), so if anyone needs an invite into TNG look for Rheranni and send me a message. If Rheranni is not on, look for Caddil, and I will switch over for inviting. - See note above

[Edit: Also, if Oedzi or any of the other officers want to jump on and promote characters for easier inviting, they can promote Caddil, Rakkart, and Klemrid'nir... my three alts in the guild (really need to get my BH alt in at some point too...)]

OzCavalier fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I feel like the way it should work out is:

SM: you wiped because you either a) were doing something noticeably stupid or b) didn't have good enough gear
HM & NiM: you wiped because you were playing imperfectly

I feel like the two current 3.0 raids in SM punish you for failing to play as well as a HM/NiM player currently, and it isn't very fun, because I'm a filthy casual pretty much. Every time the big diarrhea pile of blue circles spill out on the second fight of ravagers and everyone starts dying I just kind of get a bit "oh gently caress this"

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

The guild is maxed out at 500 members. Could someone come and delete some inactive people to free up some space?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Someone get on and start deleting people. No bloody way there are 500 active. I have been on at all hours (God bless shift work) and there have never been more than 8. I have been trying to get in for 4 days.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just logged in and gkicked 55 characters and also promoted a few people.

If you're still having trouble getting a guild invite, post here to let me know.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Thank you to whoever jumped on while I was out and culled the guild. We're back down to 445 members, so there's room for people to be added.

I'm kind of around online at the moment; look for Rheranni... if I'm not there I've probably timed out for inactivity because I've been distracted by family stuff, but I will be in and out so keep looking (or ask another member to grab me when I appear).

So... COMMENCE THE GOONRUSH!

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
Hi new thread.

Here's some weapons I made.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20150210

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

nonentity posted:

Hi new thread.

Loving the sabers. Shame I'm totally burnt out on the game. And never even tried to PvP.

But you do good work man.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man I love you, Nonentity.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

nonentity posted:

That's some great looking models, but *ugh* ranked warzones.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

nonentity posted:

Hi new thread.

I'm normally not a fan of blue lightsabers, but I think I need blue/black crystals in my life :eyepop:
So considering I've missed every single Gree event ever, how can I get my hands on one of those Grey Helix saberstaves? I really love the effect they do to the colour crystal

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HiveCommander posted:

I'm normally not a fan of blue lightsabers, but I think I need blue/black crystals in my life :eyepop:
So considering I've missed every single Gree event ever, how can I get my hands on one of those Grey Helix saberstaves? I really love the effect they do to the colour crystal

Gree event is coming back at the end of the month

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Only way to get them is to get gree rep and save helix parts from the event. I think you need either champion or hero rep for the main hands which is going to be near impossible to do in 1 week u less you have an army of alts who can run all the weeklies and dailies each day of the event. The next one is feb 24 I think.

I've been 200 rep short of legend since the last one ran what feels like a year ago

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So I finished up Taris on my agent last night and WHAT IN THE ACTUAL gently caress. A full break from reality and talking to computer-mind-ghosts. Please tell me this never stops because I am having a blast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Only way to get them is to get gree rep and save helix parts from the event. I think you need either champion or hero rep for the main hands which is going to be near impossible to do in 1 week u less you have an army of alts who can run all the weeklies and dailies each day of the event. The next one is feb 24 I think.

I've been 200 rep short of legend since the last one ran what feels like a year ago

Not impossible, you can do it with like 4 toons doing the dailies and killing Xenoanalyst a few times. :D

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Bombogenesis posted:

So I finished up Taris on my agent last night and WHAT IN THE ACTUAL gently caress. A full break from reality and talking to computer-mind-ghosts. Please tell me this never stops because I am having a blast.

Agent is the best story. Enjoy the ride.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nonentity posted:

Hi new thread.

I dig that single-handed lightsaber, very stylish.

Now if only there was someway to make the blade curved...

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll wait for the cross-guard.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Your character will probably awkwardly hold it with the guard facing the wrong direction like every other saber with a guard on it.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Your character will probably awkwardly hold it with the guard facing the wrong direction like every other saber with a guard on it.

I think my dude holds the axe wrong in every single cinematic. It's kind of annoying.

LTD
Sep 5, 2009
This post is about GSF and why GSF is awesome.

Been really enjoying Galactic Starfighter lately. To a degree where I've pretty much began considering rest of the game a 200 million dollar waiting lobby for GSF. It is such a weird, beautiful and unlikely game within a game to have. Certain ships with certain set ups can absolutely trick me into thinking it actually is a spiritual successor for X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter. I wish they had integrated it with rest of the game a little better. I also question the design decision to take great measures to ensure new player experience in GSF is as lovely as humanly possible.

In-game tutorial doesn't really show or tell anything important, closest thing to actual manual GSF has is this thread:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222
It comes with an excellent and very comprehensive OP. If OP behind the OP of this thread feels OP has room for one GSF related link, it prolly should be this one.
There are also some starter friendly videos in Youtube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mn0651zdA8

If you used to enjoy X-wing, Tie Fighter or XvT as a kid, you owe it to yourself to force yourself into liking GSF. It takes like 100 matches to stop hating it and another 100 to be able to find out if you are ever able to start liking it. Have fun!

GSF is completely disconnected from rest of the game. Level of your character, his gear, etc doesn't matter at all. You can start doing GSF at lvl 1. Due to combination of these things, there is steadily increasing small pile of people who are completely alienated from bits of TOR not related to GSF.

GSF is reasonably friendly towards FreetoPlay/Preferred accounts.

If you have never tried GSF, think of X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter meets World of Tanks lite in space.

Bioware did poo poo job in monetizing GSF. You have no good reason to buy anything GSF related from market. Ships they sell are obscenely expensive, pretty ugly and don't even come for your entire legacy. Ignoring the looks, Cartel ships are identical copies of T-1 Strike, T-2 Scout and T-1 Gunship. They are " mastered" meaning you get a little more fleet req with them. In practice, as benefit this is somewhere between " eh, nice" and "irrelevant".

It is weird how deserted genre arcadey ' space sims' are. With exception of some fan-projects done with engine of Freespace, I can't think of a major semi-modern PC game that'd share (sub-)genre with GSF actually. Despite looking extremely promising, I think the new Elite has too much Newton and I-war in it's genes to qualify.

- - -

I guess I could add some random starter friendly tips too:

You can customize GSF keybinds. Most of the defaults are fine. Still,having a look at them pays off. iirc, only bind for "select target under cursor" is something horrible you really wanna switch to your mouse wheel button.
Overall, GSF doesn't have that many buttons to press. The important functions and abilities are:

Main weapons are behind LMB&RMB
four abilities and " special moves" in keys 1-4
Power to lasers/shields/engines F1, F2, F3
Engine Boost
33% Engine power
Kill Engine power
Select closest/next hostile target
Target last enemy to attack me
Select target under cursor
Look at the enemy you have targeted

You can also Customize the UI. I found it useful to make map and buffs/debuffs of enemy target larger than original. You can move almost everything in UI as you please.

Basically, never fly with power distributed equally. When starting out, don't worry about charging shields. Engine boost is almost always better for survival anyway. Always keep power to engines unless you are attacking. Even a veteran pilot usually keeps power on engines like 70% of time, power on lasers 20% of time.
Your turns are sharpest with 33% engine power.
You turn fastest by climbing or diving, not by ' turning'

Scouts are hardest ships to learn, Tier-2 scout is the most lethal and imbalanced ship to fly in the end.
Bombers are annoying pieces of poo poo and I hate them to death.
Strike Fighters are the Jack of all trades, master of none type of a solution. Tier 1 Strike is an excellent ship in able hands, also good for learning the basics. Comes with quite wide selection of functional builds. The other two Strikes are viewed as bit more dysfunctional/niche.
Gunships play like a Sniper class in a typical FPS. I guess they are very easy and starter friendly to fly. However, you will learn some really bad loving habits if you start off with one. Trust me, that's what I did. Getting used to T1 Strike and T1 Scout is better path for a rookie in the end.

Are you some kind of a weird gently caress up who wants to reconnect to his childhood by re-living a summer of playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter back in 1994 because back then, things hadn't really begun going wrong yet?
Buy Clarion! It looks like an X-wing. Get Directional shields! Way your shields operate is now identical to how they used to work in X-wing. Buy proton torpedoes! Because they are proton torpedoes. Buy Quad Lasers! They feel like real lasers. Bidn targeting computer functions to R, E. Bind Engines, Lasers, Shields to F9-F11. Congratulations, your X-Wing is now complete.
- - -

LTD fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 11, 2015

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I've been enjoying the starfighter portion as well. I bought Elite Dangerous on a whim and could barely fly the ship but it is much easier in TOR. I get a lot of hits and assists but I'm not 100% sure how the default missiles work with the strike, do I just hold right click until it fires? I've tried releasing it when the crosshairs line up but it resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So I'm about to start playing this :krad: game again and I have a question about character creation since I'm on a Preferred player model or whatever. I'm probably going to play Inquisitor. If I purchase Miraluka legacy race through the store or whatever, can I make a Miraluka Inquisitor? The mouse over for the locked races makes me think so but before I waste 600 e-bucks I wanted to make sure.

I literally haven't touched this game since I goofed off with SFDental at release.

• Locked thread